Athletes

amadjambo

peebles jambo

As painful as it was, it was nice to witness some first class football. Glad they didn't play their first team :sob:

couldn't have put it better, the result was shite but spurs football was a joy to watch, the fifth goal was poetry in motion, wouldn't get sick of watching football played like that every week

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snake Plissken

Berra is a good example of where dedication to your game can get you.

He was always quite a big guy but the summer before he really broke through he spent all his time in the gym and he came into the new season twice the size of the rest of the team. Next season he's picked up by a Premiership club.

Now he is even bigger than he was then and he's playing at a level most of our squad could only dream of.

I was about to write the same thing, Berra is a good example of how it can be done at our level - it just requires some real dedication.

Jamie Hamill is supposed to be one of our fitter players and Bale just breezed past him time and time again, at times he looked like a different species from our players. It was a thoroughly disheartening thing to witness and perhaps Vlad's desire to instil a more continental approach to the game isn't such a bad idea.

I've heard lots in the media today who are baffled too. They mention that the training at our clubs is similar to other countries.

I dont think the problem is necessarily the actual training, but the lack of individual gym work, importantly from a young age.

Bale is 21 yet he is full of muscle. I worked with a guy who had a physique like the Spurs players, and he went to gym 7 days a week, ate healthily, and he did party at weekends BUT never consumed alcohol.

Our players need to show individual dedication, commitment and desire to reach the top. They have to start thinking and behaving like an Olympic athlete. Their body is their tools for their chosen career.

Too many are happy to plod along earning decent money in SPL, when real commitment on their part could potentially have them earning mind blowing sums.

Every player looked like their body had been sculpted by the Greeks. Somehow I doubt these guys go out on the lash every weekend.

And if any of you follow our younger players on twitter, you'll know that junk food seems to be regularly consumed. Doubt Bale or Van Der Vart frequent Nandos or Dominos!

The mentality in Scotland needs to change, but then again Paul Le Geun got punted in just a few months for trying to do that at one of the country's biggest clubs.

Even though I agree 100% with what you say, I would point out that I saw Dwain Chambers in London last week munching on a McDonalds, and he's the ultimate athlete (other than the occasional dabble in steroids).

Rocky jamboa

I agree with the comments about the spurs players being athletes. Also, they take one touch to bring the ball under control, quick look up, pass then move to be available for the next pass. So fast and fluid.

Our guys take 3 or 4 touches to control, stay in the same position after they've made a pass and look so slow. Seems so basic and simple the way spurs play and totally effective. So good to watch.

With the money involved in the EPL the clubs won't allow their players to be anything other than totally dedicated.

Likewise, players down south can see the financial rewards for being in the EPL and do everything they can to achieve these.

To get a body like these guys requires dedication in the gym 7 days a week. Eating the right food. Not drinking or smoking. Early to bed at night. Etc etc

All the things that don't happen in Scotland.

There's a photo of Gareth Bale in tonight's evening news taken just as he is about to kick the ball. His thigh muscles are enormous. Yes, there is a risk this is sounding a but gay, lol, but on a serious note there is no reason our players cannot get the same levels of physical fitness and strength.

Craig Gordon said that in the EPL the biggest adjustment he had to make was that everyone kicks the ball much harder!!!

Totally agree with this, first text i sent to a mate at half time was saying how well conditioned the spurs players looked. Hearts players

looked like wee jakeys compared with the spurs players. Clearly Spurs players have far more ability than ours but one thing we should

be able to do is eat properly and look after their bodies,i just don't believe our players are doing all they can on this front.

Buffalo Bill

I've been banging on about this for years. I got slagged off for it at the time, that is, for bringing such a trivial matter into an argument, but I saw the youth team outside of Tynecastle a few years back (Kosidinov, Copil et al), and one of the players (not mentioned) was scoffing a bag of Monster Munch. Now I know it wasn't crime of the century but I just felt it looked completely unprofessional, and possibly typical of how small instances make bigger impacts.

The players are all moaning now about Paulo's full time hours? ****ing good, especially you, Kevin Kyle. Get you fat arse fit.

Gareth Bale, a player who must dedicate himself to the gym. Why can't our players have a physique like that, what with all the time they have?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I was about to write the same thing, Berra is a good example of how it can be done at our level - it just requires some real dedication.

Jamie Hamill is supposed to be one of our fitter players and Bale just breezed past him time and time again, at times he looked like a different species from our players. It was a thoroughly disheartening thing to witness and perhaps Vlad's desire to instil a more continental approach to the game isn't such a bad idea.

His pace was frightening. TBF to Hamill, there isn't much you can do to match him if you just don't have the pace but the way he jogged past him at times was alarming. Although I should say I thought Hamill was one of our better players against an excellent Bale.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I've been banging on about this for years. I got slagged off for it at the time, that is, for bringing such a trivial matter into an argument, but I saw the youth team outside of Tynecastle a few years back (Kosidinov, Copil et al), and one of the players (not mentioned) was scoffing a bag of Monster Munch. Now I know it wasn't crime of the century but I just felt it looked completely unprofessional, and possibly typical of how small instances make bigger impacts.

The players are all moaning now about Paulo's full time hours? ****ing good, especially you, Kevin Kyle. Get you fat arse fit.

Gareth Bale, a player who must dedicate himself to the gym. Why can't our players have a physique like that, what with all the time they have?

It's a bit of a mystery. Bale's Welsh and it's not like they're light years ahead of us in terms of diet and conditioning :lol: . I think one of the biggest problems in Scotland is the calibre of coaches at all levels. Guys like Peter Houston, Danny Lennon, Derek McInnes, even Jim Jefferies - as blokes I bet they're all decent company in the boozer but as coaches and motivators of professional athletes, dear oh dear.

It's a bit of a mystery. Bale's Welsh and it's not like they're light years ahead of us in terms of diet and conditioning :lol: . I think one of the biggest problems in Scotland is the calibre of coaches at all levels. Guys like Peter Houston, Danny Lennon, Derek McInnes, even Jim Jefferies - as blokes I bet they're all decent company in the boozer but as coaches and motivators of professional athletes, dear oh dear.

The Premiership is packed with Scottish coaches.

Buffalo Bill

Let's hope our new manager flushes out the old habits.

From top to bottom, we should excel in professionalism - but we don't.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The Premiership is packed with Scottish coaches.

True.

Maybe it's more deep-rooted and complex than that. There's definitely a futility associated with Scottish football - certainly fans I know feel the whole thing's just a waste of time. That mentality must filter down to players. Or maybe it's just 'cause the players are wee neds that have been eating Monster Munch and Pot Noodles their whole lives. :ninja:

True.

Maybe it's more deep-rooted and complex than that. There's definitely a futility associated with Scottish football - certainly fans I know feel the whole thing's just a waste of time. That mentality must filter down to players. Or maybe it's just 'cause the players are wee neds that have been eating Monster Munch and Pot Noodles their whole lives. :ninja:

Last line is probably close to the truth.

Once they have made the first team at Hearts they have made it, can spend their days in the bookies and their above average wages impressing folk in shitty Edinburgh nightclubs while downing jagerbombs.

Maybe last night was a shock to the system and they'll look at changing their lifestyle? Maybe not though.

Let's hope our new manager flushes out the old habits.

From top to bottom, we should excel in professionalism - but we don't.

I have read this thread with interest. Remember we are crticised for being a 'big physical team' by every one that has played us in scotland as if that's not fair. After last night you have to laugh at that. I am not saying we have to be hammer throwers and i know the limits of our budget prevents us bringing in athletes that are also skillfull, but you would think we would (not just hearts the whole of Scotland) be able to develop our young players in to better physical specimins.

Sure the kids are way fitter than me but my job is to push bits of paper around a desk all day not be a pro sportsman. I honestly cannot think of one scot that you would say matches the spurs players in terms of fitness and physique.

Bale might be Welsh, but he is yet another World Class player to come put of Southamptons academy.

There is clearly something we are not doing properly. I believe it starts with our scouting system, or lack of it. Too many small players who to be fair might be good enough for a top 6 SPL side but no more.

If I was Vlad, I'd be getting our new Portuguese mgmt team to start thinking about getting a scouting system in place in Iberia and try and get some young lads over here.

If Vlad believes PS is the guy to lead us into a brighter future then for once, let him have control and let him see out his contract. Never going to implement change when we change the mgr every season.

Let's hope the Spurs gubbing can be the catalyst for a successful future.

If you look back to the 2005/6 season we were so good because as a team we were big, physical and strong. We had players who many other teams could not compete with as was one of our problems last night.

I remember the semi against hibs and that day was men against boys. Physically they could not compete with and in footballing terms.

In the whole SPL, is there a SINGLE player who could match Spurs physically?

Samaras? (not talking about football ability before all the lol's appear!)

Izaguerrie?

Kayal?

Commons?

Maybe none of the above, but certainly Celtic come the closest.

The other key aspect of the 2005/06 team was it contained players who were WINNERS at the highest level.

That experience costs a premium which we can't afford unfortunately.

When you see these guys in the flesh it really brings it home to you how unfit our lot looked. The least we should expect is

for the players to be in good physical shape, from what we seen last night our players just looked so out of condition. The

speed of thought and ability was clear as day as well.

If you look back to the 2005/6 season we were so good because as a team we were big, physical and strong. We had players who many other teams could not compete with as was one of our problems last night.

I remember the semi against hibs and that day was men against boys. Physically they could not compete with and in footballing terms.

The core of that team was ripped apart by AEK Athens in the second biggest humping I have seen us have in europe. We have such a long way to go!

ChemicalJambo

Redknapp banned players from going clubbing in 2009, he said the foriegn players don't touch drink so was trying get the English ones to do the same saying they're paid well enough and there's not even bread in the canteen but the strict diet is useless if you down 10 pints at the weekend.

This summer Defoe went to France for fitness training before preseason started

The Scottish teams just don't have the same culture and boy did it show

Bert Le Clos

The problem, as has already been said is a national one that goes from youth players right up to seniors.

East Lothian Council offer a PAIS Programme (Performance Athletes in Schools) where players identified as having potential in secondary schools put together in a development squad were given specific conditioning training related to their sport, as well as advice on diet and nutrition.

Several footballers dropped out of the programme, including a few from the school I work at. When I asked them why they'd dropped out they said they couldn't be bothered with all the fitness work and just wanted to play games!

Nicholas Brody

Redknapp banned players from going clubbing in 2009, he said the foriegn players don't touch drink so was trying get the English ones to do the same saying they're paid well enough and there's not even bread in the canteen but the strict diet is useless if you down 10 pints at the weekend.

This summer Defoe went to France for fitness training before preseason started

The Scottish teams just don't have the same culture and boy did it show

I don't mind players celebrating a big win up town in moderation but if they are doing it every week and getting blooterd :down: which they are in many cases.

Quite an interesting interview with Gael Clichy in Mens Health I once read about all this.

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/living/men/the-imhi-interview-gael-clichy-407698

Main points:

Are there any foods you hate which you eat solely for their health benefits?

I absolutely cannot stand endives [a bitter leaf vegetable used in salads], but I don?t eat them because there are so many other healthy vegetable options. However, if endives were the best vegetable for health and fitness, I would eat them without question.

Footballers' diets are notoriously disciplined. Are you allowed to drink at all?

Although the manager is fine with us having, say, one glass of wine per week, I?m not a big drinker so I?ll only really have alcohol on special occasions. Footballers from the older generation have been known to drink beer after games, but there?s so much athleticism and pace in the game these days that my generation tends to avoid anything that can damage performance.

How many hours sleep do you get a night?

As a sportsman, sleep is very important for me and I need at least eight hours per night, and preferably nine. There are only two occasions when I fail to get this much: if we return from a Champions League away match very late, or if my family are visiting, in which case I tend to stay up to spend as much time as possible with them.

Interestingly, Arsenal only train from 9-11 and half an hour in the gym each day but I'm guessing that doesn't take studying opposition etc into account.

I used to go to Opal Lounge every Saturday night and it would be full of Hibs players every week.

The attitude of Scottish footballers stinks to be honest.

David Goodwillie prime example!

The strength and fitness of their boys compared to ours was scary. I reckon only 5 of our players in the last few years would come close, and 3 of them were left backs funnily enough.

Fysass, Janny, Jose, Karipidis, Wallace.

Time to stop moaning though, it was always going to happen so why the outcry?!

That Clichy article is eye-opening.

But when is the penny going to drop??????

It is, isn't it?

Footballers from the older generation have been known to drink beer after games, but there?s so much athleticism and pace in the game these days that my generation tends to avoid anything that can damage performance.

Ian-Black-Hearts-Aug-2010-pa_2504947.jpg

Defoe out-muscled Zaliukas 2 or 3 times tonight and he's about 2 foot smaller!! The difference between the two sides is incredible!

I also noticed this - he should be ashamed of himself - what do they do in training? cos it ain't ball control..........

Snake Plissken

His pace was frightening. TBF to Hamill, there isn't much you can do to match him if you just don't have the pace but the way he jogged past him at times was alarming. Although I should say I thought Hamill was one of our better players against an excellent Bale.

Of course, if he doesn't have the pace there's not much he can do but I think the only player we've had, Berra aside, who had anything like the physicality of just about the whole Spurs team was Lee Wallace. I thought Grainger did okay, well not as pish as the others, on the other flank but I think the gulf was most pronounced in the way Driver and Templeton were completely nullified.

There was a moment where Temps got the break of the ball, skipped past Dawson but was robbed by Walker who made up a massive gap, in the SPL he'd have been clean through and scored. The chasm in class was just depressing to watch but we should really look to learn from it - with dedication and discipline they can at least improve the physical side of their game.

Maroon & White

The bit that worried me was when Zal and Defoe went for a 50/50 shoulder challenge and Defoe won!

It was like the cast of 300 had slapped on a Spurs shirt.. Very impressive, sad to say it but it gave me a new found respect for the English game.

Thought Bale was immense.. What a dangerous, dangerous player to have in your team.. 'arry must be milking himself over him..

That was a key point for Scottish football and even though I can't stand Rangers I hoped he might have been backed against Ferguson and the other Scottish players. If he had the whole mentatilty in Scotland would be better.

Every player looked like their body had been sculpted by the Greeks. Somehow I doubt these guys go out on the lash every weekend.

And if any of you follow our younger players on twitter, you'll know that junk food seems to be regularly consumed. Doubt Bale or Van Der Vart frequent Nandos or Dominos!

The mentality in Scotland needs to change, but then again Paul Le Geun got punted in just a few months for trying to do that at one of the country's biggest clubs.

Of course, if he doesn't have the pace there's not much he can do but I think the only player we've had, Berra aside, who had anything like the physicality of just about the whole Spurs team was Lee Wallace. I thought Grainger did okay, well not as pish as the others, on the other flank but I think the gulf was most pronounced in the way Driver and Templeton were completely nullified.

There was a moment where Temps got the break of the ball, skipped past Dawson but was robbed by Walker who made up a massive gap, in the SPL he'd have been clean through and scored. The chasm in class was just depressing to watch but we should really look to learn from it - with dedication and discipline they can at least improve the physical side of their game.

Yep, I fail to see any reason why we can't match them physically.

Pace, touch, vision, movement ... fair enough, you get what you pay for. The thing we failed on most though is something we can actually match them on, which is a shame.

We were never going to match them on skill, but the one thing we should be able to match them in is fitness and we didn't. It was a massive eye opener.

This attitude we have in Scottish sport (not just in football) of it's ok to go out and get hammered every weekend, because I'm 18, 19, 20 has to change. The argument of 'but I'm young and all my mates are out' doesn't really stand-up. Yes your mates are all doing it, but they're not trying to be professional sportsmen, are they?

Until this attitude is changed right accross the country I can't see it changing at Hearts, unfortunately.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Scottish football is a gutter level 'sport', full of thick, pig ignorant morons who think they know best. Our players fitness levels are akin to that of players from the 1970's, with the sad 'bevvy' culture and ****** diet still prevelant.

Sadly, on top of this the players are technically poor/dreadful, and that includes both those from here, or elsewhere.

Zal bounced off the ball by Defoe, what an absolute loser. Back to the fags Zal, ya wimp.

Shut up you bore.

You're a bitter man in his 40s who still acts like he's 18 ffs. Call people out for acting above their station and then come out with shite like that? Whatever you hypocrite :vrface:

Snake Plissken

Shut up you bore.

You're a bitter man in his 40s who still acts like he's 18 ffs. Call people out for acting above their station and then come out with shite like that? Whatever you hypocrite :vrface:

:smackdown:

:yas:

allystrachan

We were never going to match them on skill, but the one thing we should be able to match them in is fitness and we didn't. It was a massive eye opener.

This attitude we have in Scottish sport (not just in football) of it's ok to go out and get hammered every weekend, because I'm 18, 19, 20 has to change. The argument of 'but I'm young and all my mates are out' doesn't really stand-up. Yes your mates are all doing it, but they're not trying to be professional sportsmen, are they?

Until this attitude is changed right accross the country I can't see it changing at Hearts, unfortunately.

agree 100%

strength, fitness & skill will never change without the propper attitude! Le Guen wanted to change this and was sacked, John collins wanted to change this and was sacked.... now sergio is on about changing this.... will it work? probably not if they are already complaining about training too hard. (saying that, i hear scott robinson much prefers sergio's training methods)

its nothing to do with these players get paid more than ours so they can do it. commonwealth athletes get virtually no funding and have to work full time jobs on top of their training and they can manage it.

thursday night was men vs boys, athletes vs billy big baws, professionals vs guys who are more interested in going to george street or cav and flirting with wee skanks.

the berra quote in this thread was spot on, everyone on here noticed how much more athletic he was when he returned to pre season and had a great year & a good move down south all thr other players should be taking note of this. watching the video of them getting pumped should be great motivation for any of them aspiring to play at higher level

How do you fix it though?

It was glaringly obvious the difference in fitness levels and upper body strength.

But it now comes out the players are complaining already about PSs extra training and fitness methods.

If you happen to be a current Hearts player and log on here I seriously recommend you try and find some documentaries on what the british rowers have to go through. You'd probably only have to put in 30% of what they do, if that.

Christ, Steve Redgrave had to take up marathon running when he retired otherwise his heart would have given up on him.

Back to my original question though. John and Darren Murray have a huge responsibility to steer the youngsters in the right direction long before they reach the first team.

Scottish football is a gutter level 'sport', full of thick, pig ignorant morons who think they know best. Our players fitness levels are akin to that of players from the 1970's, with the sad 'bevvy' culture and ****** diet still prevelant.

Sadly, on top of this the players are technically poor/dreadful, and that includes both those from here, or elsewhere.

Zal bounced off the ball by Defoe, what an absolute loser. Back to the fags Zal, ya wimp.

I'm not even convinced that we're as fit as we were in the 70s in Scotland. Rangers and Hearts at least were training damn hard back then, and I'd guess the other teams were training just as hard. I remember Drew Busby saying in an interview that Seith had them doing double sessions, and that they were all as fit as butchers dugs. When was the last time we did double sessions on a prolonged basis?

The skill levels have definitely gone downhill though, we're a bad example as we were terrible in the 70s but in general players in Scotland were far far better at passing and controlling a ball then. one of the things that really impressed me about Spurs was the accuracy and speed of of the passing, and the instant ball control, even when the ball was arriving at high speed.

You are correct Detty. It's 1 thing identifying the problem but solving it isn't so easy.

Firstly, I don't think much can be done about the 1st team players, it's probably too late to change them. The emphasis has to be on what we do with youngsters going forward as well as signing the right type of players in the future.

IF it turns out that Scottish players do not want to put the required work in, and are not committed or dedicated enough then bring in foreign young players. Eventually the penny has to drop.

ToadKiller Dog

The SPL is a lazy league ,there in no real competition or incentive for the base average SPL player to improve or keep improving once he reaches the first team ,the average SPL player is where we should measure ourselves from as every country can produce a handfull of good quality players every few years . Our base average players technical and physical level is at its lowest point i have seen . I cant see with our current league set up what challenge there is in our league set up to improve that average base level . Anybody offering real ideas of change is stamped on quickly as the Scottish football is beset by self interest in all the clubs .

As for Kyles boring and repetative traing traing comments , i am glad it is boring and repetative once all the squad have mastered the basics to the right level i am sure they will be allowed to move on . I am all for military style training in some parts of developing into a better and stronger player ,but i can see how some more senior players who think they are above such training

may have there noses out of joint .

I'm not even convinced that we're as fit as we were in the 70s in Scotland. Rangers and Hearts at least were training damn hard back then, and I'd guess the other teams were training just as hard. I remember Drew Busby saying in an interview that Seith had them doing double sessions, and that they were all as fit as butchers dugs. When was the last time we did double sessions on a prolonged basis?

The skill levels have definitely gone downhill though, we're a bad example as we were terrible in the 70s but in general players in Scotland were far far better at passing and controlling a ball then. one of the things that really impressed me about Spurs was the accuracy and speed of of the passing, and the instant ball control, even when the ball was arriving at high speed.

Its difficult to only blame it on the Scots guys.

Mrowiec for example, nicknamed the Train, has the worst first touch in our squad, if not the league. But hes regularly lauded on here. Its the apathy across the whole Scottish football 'family' thats wrong.

But you get what you pay for. And unfortunately even at Hearts some players who are easily in the ?100-?200k pa bracket, some more, dont feel a need to be full time athletes, or better themselves.

Pounding weights in a gym is obviously boring and repetitive, but absolutely necessary for any athlete. The mentality here seems to be, stuff that, I'm away to the bookies.

There is no easy overnight fix, and it is going to take a club to be brave to try and change this culture.

I hope that club is ours, and we look back on the Spurs lesson in 10 yrs time and say it was the best thing ever to happen to us.

Because let's make no bones about it, we were given a lesson by Spurs on Thursday night. Not only a lesson in how to play football, but a lesson into how the modern footballer had to be an athlete.

1 final point. The SFA run 1 of the most respected coaching courses in the world we keep getting told. Mourinho was taught in Scotland they keep telling us.

But no Scottish club has shown any benefit from this at all.

It would be easy to despair about the state of Scottish football right now, but on the other hand perhaps we have been presented with an opportunity to lead the way.

I hope PS is the man to take us there and that Vlad gives him the time and support to get there.

Pounding weights in a gym is obviously boring and repetitive, but absolutely necessary for any athlete. The mentality here seems to be, stuff that, I'm away to the bookies.

Only if you can push Craig Levein out the queue.

As I said, apathy across all levels in our game

Mid Calder Jambo

I was an athlete in my teenage years, well past it now, so I have a bit of experience about being fit and knowing what being fit is about. Our guys are not fit, simples.

You go to Meadowbank any night I would bet that you could pick up 11 guys who are not footballers that would have given our guys a good game just because they are fitter. I am not for a minute denying that you need footballing skills and footballing nunce to be a professional footballer, but you also need extreme fitness. If you want to be the best in your field you need to be 125%, 150%, 200% better than next man or the next team. If we want to be better than the rest in Scottish football a good dose of extreme fitness would help us get there.

What struck me about Spurs tonight is how athletic every single one of their players looked.

They were big, strong, fast, and looked like Olympic athletes.

Then you look at our team and well, there was just no comparison. There's no comparison is Scottish football.

Frightening to think there are 4 or 5 teams in England better than Spurs.

This is true but there is a big difference here in Scotland. Its finance.

When a Club pays a player 100k a week (Bale for example) they can expect and demand that the player live their life as professionally as can be. The Club can expect the player to earn that money by living the correct athletic life 24 hours a day. The Club can expect the player to prove they are worth that money by committing themselves entirely.

When a Club pays its top player 3k a week (Driver for example) its a bit harder to demand that level of 24 hour professionalism.

Especially when bonuses from the previous season still haven't been paid and salaries are sometimes late.

With huge money comes a different culture.

This is true but there is a big difference here in Scotland. Its finance.

When a Club pays a player 100k a week (Bale for example) they can expect and demand that the player live their life as professionally as can be. The Club can expect the player to earn that money by living the correct athletic life 24 hours a day. The Club can expect the player to prove they are worth that money by committing themselves entirely.

When a Club pays its top player 3k a week (Driver for example) its a bit harder to demand that level of 24 hour professionalism.

Especially when bonuses from the previous season still haven't been paid and salaries are sometimes late.

With huge money comes a different culture.

Honestly, why?

At my gym a lot of the guys are in peak condition and they seem to dedicate a large amount of their time to the gym. Most of them won't be on anymore than ?300/?400 quid a week and will work 37 hours a week.

This notion that Spurs are fitter because they get paid more is utter pish. It is a professional footballers responsibility to be fit, it is their life ffs! If we have players who think because they aren't paid Premiership wages they shouldn't be as fit as Premiership players, I'd sack them tomorrow.

Bale has been in superb condition since he was about 16 year old earning nowt.

1 final point. The SFA run 1 of the most respected coaching courses in the world we keep getting told. Mourinho was taught in Scotland they keep telling us.

But no Scottish club has shown any benefit from this at all.

It would be easy to despair about the state of Scottish football right now, but on the other hand perhaps we have been presented with an opportunity to lead the way.

I hope PS is the man to take us there and that Vlad gives him the time and support to get there.

The best Scottish managers are down south. There are lots of them, have a count.

Archived