Scottish bands/artists from the 1960s

I P Knightley

I P Knightley

I'm having a mental block here and hope that one or more of my fellow JKBers will help clear it.

I'm going to a music night where the theme is the '60s. With all previous themes, I've always worked in something Scottish but this time I'm struggling to come up with a decent song or artist with a strong Scottish connection. I've got Donovan but it's clutching at straws a little and I've also got "In a Broken Dream" featuring the vocals of Highgate Rod (which just squeezes into the '60s).

Please put me out of my misery and point out the glaringly obvious folk I've been overlooking.

Cheers

Marmalade - cover of Ob La Di Ob La Da amongst other hits. ;)

What was the wee fellow with the kilt Jackie Dennis? Remember blushing at his Scottishness.

Please put me out of my misery and point out the glaringly obvious folk I've been overlooking.

Cheers

You're overlooking the most successful & influential Scottish artist ever..the King of Skiffle - Lonnie Donnegan. :pray::pray::band:

You're overlooking the most successful & influential Scottish artist ever..the King of Skiffle - Lonnie Donnegan. :pray::pray::band:

Was that not the 1950's though....

(OK, I'll give you early 60's ;))

Was that not the 1950's though....

(OK, I'll give you early 60's ;))

Mid 50's to mid 60's.

The man was prolific - think Mark Knopfler was a fan :)

Carl Spackler

I was involved in a Scottish themed Karoke night a few years ago and trawled about the net trying to find Scottish artists. This is what I came up with. Obviously not comprehensive and also a wee bit out of date but it would seem the 60s was a lean period for Scottish artists.

I have a spreadsheet with up to five hit songs each of these groups/singers did if it's of any use.

Primal Scream

The Proclaimers

Average White Band

Blue Nile

Teenage Fanclub

John Martyn

Jesus and the Mary Chain

Bert Jansch

Waterboys

Incredible String Band

Llloyd Cole and the Commotions

Aztec Camera

The Associates

Texas

Belle and Sebastian

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Deacon Blue

The Cocteau Twins

Travis

Simple Minds

Orange Juice / Edwyn Collins

The Rezillos

Eurythmics

Wet Wet Wet

Love and Money

Donovan

The Beta Band

Danny Wilson

Roddy Frame

The Shaman

Micheal Marra

The Pastels

Garbage

John Martyn

Gerry Rafferty

The Bathers

Lonnie Donegan

Del Amitri

Idlewild

Altered Images

Delgados

Big Country

Frankie Miller

Annie Lennox

Runrig

Alex Harvey and his Soul Band

Eddie Reader

Fire Engines

The KLF

The Vaselines

Hipsway

Arab Strap

Karen Matheson

One Dove

Jack Bruce

The Scars

The Mull Historical Society

Billy Mackenzie

Hue and Cry

Boards of Canada

Josef K

Mogwai

Danny Wilson

Shop Assitants

The Bluebells

The Skids

Blue

Trashcan Sinatras

Edwyn Collins

Bay City Rollers

Strawberry Switchblade

Nazererth

Lulu

The Exploited

Stone the Crows

KT Tunstall

Ultravox

Midge-Ure

Snow Patrol

James Yorkston and Athletes

Communards - Jimmy Sommerville

Jim Diamond

Dougie Maclean

Rod Stewart

Michelle Macmanus

Fish - Marillion

Harry Lauder

Lena Zavaroni

Jesse Rae

Franz Ferdinand

Pilot

Andy Stewart

Fairground Attraction

Capercaillie

The Corries

Moira Anderson

Kenneth McKellar

Barbara Dickson

Andy Cameron

I P Knightley
I was involved in a Scottish themed Karoke night a few years ago and trawled about the net trying to find Scottish artists. This is what I came up with. Obviously not comprehensive and also a wee bit out of date but it would seem the 60s was a lean period for Scottish artists.

I have a spreadsheet with up to five hit songs each of these groups/singers did if it's of any use.

This'll do me grand for future themes. Confirms my suspsicions that the '60s were lean.

Guess I'll have to rely on Rod leading Python Lee Jackson for my '60s Scotsman - even though they never released it until 1970.

(Unless other JKBers know better about significant artists within bands a la Ginger Baker)

Middle of the Road - Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep (maybe 70's)

Definitely 70s.

Auld Reekin'
This'll do me grand for future themes. Confirms my suspsicions that the '60s were lean.

Guess I'll have to rely on Rod leading Python Lee Jackson for my '60s Scotsman - even though they never released it until 1970.

(Unless other JKBers know better about significant artists within bands a la Ginger Baker)

Ginger Baker was from London. Jack Bruce was the Scotsman in Cream.

Ian Anderson, the lead singer and flautist, from Jethro Tull (formed and released their first album in 1968) was born in Dunfermline and went to primary school in Edinburgh.

The Incredible String Band were pretty big and very influential in the late '60s: Robin Williamson is definitely Scottish and I think Mike Heron and Clive Palmer are as well.

Although born in London, Richard Thompson (Fairport Convention) is of Scottish descent. I'm pretty sure his father was Scottish. He also wrote a song called "Don't Step on my Jimmy Shands", so that pretty much qualifies him, I'd have thought! :)

I P Knightley
Ginger Baker was from London. Jack Bruce was the Scotsman in Cream.

It had been a long week and the beer had flowed quite easily yesterday evening. That's my excuse and I'll stick to it.

... Getting a tad more obscure, but these are all 60's Scottish bands and as far as I know all released records at some stage;

The Poets

The Beatstalkers

The Copy Cats

The Vikings

The Shaddettes

Boston Dexters

The Athenians

:cool:

Archived