Alex Macdonald - Where is he/what's he up to these days?

Nelly Terraces

Nelly Terraces

Just following on from the 2 threads about the 1986 team/season. Just wondering where the wee Doddie is these days? Never hear from him at all. I think it's pretty shocking that he's never been back to Tynie for anything in the years since he left, even to do the half time draw!

He is an important person in our fairly recent history, what with getting us out of Div 1 and then the season that almost was. He was a superb manager of Hearts and I'd love to see him back at EH11 sometime to receive a warm welcome.

Remember him saying that when he came to us players were a disgrace, turning up at training weraing what they liked etc. He soon sorted that out wehn he was given the managers job, and has them well disciplined (club blazer/tie etc at all times when representing the club, etc).

If it hadn't been for those sickening last 7 mins at Dens then Alex MacDonald would be down in the Hearts history books as an all time hero. I still feel he is, and think it's sad Doddie's contribution has never fully been recognised.

Cheers.

NT

He was working at Ibrox doing hospitality last time I saw him.

That was Dec 2005 - we got beat 1-0 and Miko was sent off.

Had a blether with him and asked him if he would sign an autograph for my wee boy. Which he did. Alan McLaren signed the paper first, then Alex McDonald. Then Doddie passed it to Tam Forsyth but i was too polite to decline that mark...

I agree, although I have always considered him a hero.

He never won any majors with us but he won the hearts of all who follwed the JT's during his reign.

is he too old to have another pop :)

Nelly Terraces
He was working at Ibrox doing hospitality last time I saw him.

That was Dec 2005 - we got beat 1-0 and Miko was sent off.

Had a blether with him and asked him if he would sign an autograph for my wee boy. Which he did. Alan McLaren signed the paper first, then Alex McDonald. Then Doddie passed it to Tam Forsyth but i was too polite to decline that mark...

Cheers Boris old son.

Too scared more likes. Nobody messes with Big Jaws!:)

Well when I was talking to him he was ripping McLeish's tactics to shreds so perhaps their is some life in him yet!

Hagar the Horrible

He keeps an Avery into which he keeps Gold Finches, Blue Finches, Chavinches, but absolutely no Green Finches!

Nelly Terraces
Well when I was talking to him he was ripping McLeish's tactics to shreds so perhaps their is some life in him yet!

I agree, although I have always considered him a hero.

He never won any majors with us but he won the hearts of all who follwed the JT's during his reign.

Doddie will always be a legend for blokes around my age who followed us around the time he was the guv'nor. Would love to see him getting torn into our current crop of wasters at HMFC:p! They wouldn't know what'd hit them.

Just following on from the 2 threads about the 1986 team/season. Just wondering where the wee Doddie is these days? Never hear from him at all. I think it's pretty shocking that he's never been back to Tynie for anything in the years since he left, even to do the half time draw!

He is an important person in our fairly recent history, what with getting us out of Div 1 and then the season that almost was. He was a superb manager of Hearts and I'd love to see him back at EH11 sometime to receive a warm welcome.

Remember him saying that when he came to us players were a disgrace, turning up at training weraing what they liked etc. He soon sorted that out wehn he was given the managers job, and has them well disciplined (club blazer/tie etc at all times when representing the club, etc).

If it hadn't been for those sickening last 7 mins at Dens then Alex MacDonald would be down in the Hearts history books as an all time hero. I still feel he is, and think it's sad Doddie's contribution has never fully been recognised.

Cheers.

NT

Sure he made an appearance at half time in Gary Mackay's testimonial which was at the end of the season he was given the bullett, IIRC.

Thought when Craig Levein got the gig, Alex might have been his no 2.

had a google on him and he is still a youg pup! he's only 60.... get him back here now!

lets start a dodi campaign!!

Cheers Boris old son.

Too scared more likes. Nobody messes with Big Jaws!:)

I was full of the free Baltika so was being quite "gallous" - but my upbringing just wouldn't allow me to be rude.;)

Sure he made an appearance at half time in Gary Mackay's testimonial which was at the end of the season he was given the bullett, IIRC.

Thought when Craig Levein got the gig, Alex might have been his no 2.

How about Frail as the dodsters number 2?

Buffalo Bill

Using very simple methods, he turned a bunch of losers into the fittest team - probably in the UK!

Thank god those days are long gone, what with Riccarton and all that money we spend. :confused::eek::confused::sad::confused:

Buffalo Bill

Gigolo-Aunt

Doddie will always have a positive memory in the place of Hearts fans. A true hero and legend - when the word legend is banded about to easily to many people who are not fit to have that tag.

Would love to have a pint with him and have a blether about times gone past in football.

Top man.

He was absolutely brilliant for us.

Signings of the likes of Levein. The 'dad's army' team. Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark to look after Robbo. Just how fit that team was - the team spirit was fantastic.

We need a manager who can lift the club in the way that he did. On little money in the way that he did.

Would be great to see the likes of him back at half time sometime.

Doddie will always be a legend for blokes around my age who followed us around the time he was the guv'nor. Would love to see him getting torn into our current crop of wasters at HMFC:p! They wouldn't know what'd hit them.

Even though i would like to think i'm no where around your age yet NT (I saw the photos from Tynie the other week), he'll always be a legend to me as well.

Does he have the badges required?

Walter Kidd

Alex McDonald was/is a legend always.

As for Sandy Jardine he's a ****. He pushed me on my arse when the second went in at Dens. Suppose I shouldn't have been on the pitch.

Alex McDonald was/is a legend always.

As for Sandy Jardine he's a ****. He pushed me on my arse when the second went in at Dens. Suppose I shouldn't have been on the pitch.

:rolleyes:

Glamorgan Jambo

For lots of reasons he's my favourite ever Hearts manager and I too am a bit sad that he's no longer attached to the club in the sense that we never see him at any functions.

He took a total shambles of a club, made some shrewd purchases, and developed some talented but raw youth players and within a few years we had our best title challenge of the last 40 years.

I stood on the enclosure terracing at Dens that day just behind the Hearts dugout and throughout the second half he became more and more animated and wheen K*** scored his first I remember him throwing his towel down in disgust, but a millisecond later he was on his feet telling Roddy Mac to go up top and basically telling the team it was still all to play for although they had next to nothing left to give. I think I learned a few lessons watching him from these moments which I have to say have helped a lot in my professional life.

He's a total winner and a complete professional... just watch how upset he still gets on the telly tonight recounting that week in May. I know JJ won a trophy but due to my age at the time and the circumstances he had to work in he's my Hearts managerial 'legend'.

had a google on him and he is still a youg pup! he's only 60.... get him back here now!

lets start a dodi campaign!![/COLOR]

SIGNED!!!!!!

Cut The Crap

Absolute legend. He and others dragged us back from the brink and laid the foundations for the last 25 years.

Before he came, we were NEVER top five. Since then I can only think of two seasons where we've finished outside the top five (although that stat might increase by one this weekend...)

Denny Crane

Speaking of that pitch invasion, can anyone involved tell me why it was done? This particular then-12-year-old was too busy trying to absorb the ramifications of Kidd's second to go along and inspect the Dens turf.

Walter Kidd
Speaking of that pitch invasion, can anyone involved tell me why it was done? This particular then-12-year-old was too busy trying to absorb the ramifications of Kidd's second to go along and inspect the Dens turf.

In our idiotic way, we thought that if we got the match abandoned it wouldn't count I suppose.

Few Dundee boys got a good slapping as well, which in hindsight wasn't really big or clever.

Met him at Ibrox hospitality last April. He is sheer class. Sandy was there too.

Carling Lounge that is.:P

Nelly Terraces
For lots of reasons he's my favourite ever Hearts manager and I too am a bit sad that he's no longer attached to the club in the sense that we never see him at any functions.

He took a total shambles of a club, made some shrewd purchases, and developed some talented but raw youth players and within a few years we had our best title challenge of the last 40 years.

I stood on the enclosure terracing at Dens that day just behind the Hearts dugout and throughout the second half he became more and more animated and wheen K*** scored his first I remember him throwing his towel down in disgust, but a millisecond later he was on his feet telling Roddy Mac to go up top and basically telling the team it was still all to play for although they had next to nothing left to give. I think I learned a few lessons watching him from these moments which I have to say have helped a lot in my professional life.

He's a total winner and a complete professional... just watch how upset he still gets on the telly tonight recounting that week in May. I know JJ won a trophy but due to my age at the time and the circumstances he had to work in he's my Hearts managerial 'legend'.

Good post. Says it all. He even said the place was a mess when he arrived. He sorted things out playing wise with the young dudes Robbo, Gaz Mac etc and old boys like Jimmy Bone and Willie J -we had a team spirit 2nd to none. Whoever said he gave up our pride back is also on the money.

Wi Doddie as the boss and the charisma of Wallace as Chairman we couldn't really fail to get ourselves up and running and make us a decent club again:).

Cheers Doddie!

I think the emotion a *died-in-the-wool* blue nose showed on that programme proves that there is something VERY special about The Heart Of Midlothian Football Club...

Lynn:ninja:

Guest casper

I remember being at a pre-season game up at Nairn. Went for a p!ss in a lavvy behind the stand just before the game started and there was a window of the Hearts changing room just there. Could hear Doddys team talk, which consisted of a string of swear words. The last thing he said as the players went out was “….and remember, feckin’ retaliate first!!”

Doddie lives in kirkintilloch and dinks in my local boozer, top guy:)

Well....sound him out on behalf of Vlad....we can sort the finer details out later...Just find out if he is interested :P

Nelly Terraces
Doddie lives in kirkintilloch and dinks in my local boozer, top guy:)

Good stuff, glad to hear he sounds like he's keeping well. Tell him, he's welcome back at EH11 anytime. :)

alec macdonald and wallace mercer saved our club from oblivion,we should all be eternally grateful.doddie for director of football sounds good to me.

Spitonastranger

Doddie knows that hmfc fans love him, nxt time i see him i will ask him about the job;)

Doddie knows that hmfc fans love him, nxt time i see him i will ask him about the job;)

haha. spot on m8.....jeez ..imagine him saying he had already been aproached :eek:

Winston Ingram

As mentioned, lives in Kirkintilloch.. has a driving/delivery job and works at Ibrox on Saturdays. Used to drink in The Stables, not sure if he still does.

Seem to recall he was slightly put out that he was virtually discarded from football post-Airdrie.. and with some justification, far bigger charlatans than him have operated at a decent level in the intervening years.

He'll be close to tears on the documentary tonight, IIRC.

As mentioned, lives in Kirkintilloch.. has a driving/delivery job and works at Ibrox on Saturdays. Used to drink in The Stables, not sure if he still does.

Seem to recall he was slightly put out that he was virtually discarded from football post-Airdrie.. and with some justification, far bigger charlatans than him have operated at a decent level in the intervening years.

He'll be close to tears on the documentary tonight, IIRC.

He played at a very high level for Rangers and then was excellent in management at Hearts and Airdrie. Got us to within a whisker of a double, close to beating Bayern over 2 legs, and achieved miracles at Airdrie.

How on earth did he not get picked up by other clubs - when you think of the dross who have had management jobs it is truly unbelievable that he did not.

He was absolutely brilliant for us.

remember a game quite a few moons back at tynie when an opposition player was rolling about pretending he was injured , wee doddie promptly threw himself on the deck and rolled about too just to show the ref what he thought about it . funniest thing i had seen in years , even the ref was laughing . wee doddie total legend

Have to remember though it was us Hearts fans who were signing for him to be sacked as we lost at home to Rangers in September 1990.

Archived