Non Hearts. Who took the bribe?

alwaysthereinspirit

alwaysthereinspirit

Story this morning saying a player in Britain got himself sent off to help throw a game. Also talked three team mates into getting themselves booked. Sounds like lower league stuff.:ninja:

Story this morning saying a player in Britain got himself sent off to help throw a game. Also talked three team mates into getting themselves booked. Sounds like lower league stuff.:ninja:

defo lower league stuff

its said ther player owed the bookie 50k prem even championship players could afford to pay that off these days

londonjambo

... or maybe SPL stuff ;)

Seems odd to have made a point of talking about Britain. Usually, the Eng-er-lish are the first to talk about England rathe than Britain.

Now, let me see, which team has had a lot of players sent off this season ?

GC

Dirk Diggler

Seems odd to have made a point of talking about Britain. Usually, the Eng-er-lish are the first to talk about England rathe than Britain.

GC

That was my first thought.

I doubt from what i've read that it's an English league club.

Dirk Diggler
Surley its in England if its the FA looking into it?

The F.A are looking into it to determine whether it is indeed an English club involved.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04042008/58/premier-league-fa-investigate-alleged-bribe.html

An FA spokesman said: "We will be making inquiries about this story.

"First we need to find out if the match was inside our jurisdiction - the story says it was in Britain, but we don't know if it was in England."

GC

Don't worry, it'll be English - they just don't want to say "English" in the article.

It's like when the English fans go on the rampage abroad. Some newspapers say it was British fans. If Scottish fans ever done it, the same newspapers would take great delight in mentioning the fact that it was Scottish Fans.

GC

Eng - er - land if its possitive... britain if its negative

From the Independant story...

A footballer with a serious gambling problem has admitted accepting a ?50,000 bribe to help throw a game in Britain, The Independent can reveal.

According to a source familiar with the circumstances, the player – who has a Premiership club on his CV – racked up a ?50,000 debt with a bookmaker. The bookmaker said he would write off the debt if the player got himself sent off and also persuaded three team-mates to get booked in a specific game.

The player agreed, and the incidents were fixed as requested. His team lost the match, which was played in the past two years, the source said...

Could it have happened in Scotland?

We know that he had 'a' EPL club on his CV, we know it happened within the last two years and we could assume that he is no longer playing, in Scotland anyway.

Anybody fit the profile?

Grant Brebner was on the books at Man United. He's a massive gambler, so much so that Hibs sold him to Dundee United for a lot less than he was worth just so Brebner could get a large signing on fee to pay off his gambling debts - to avoid having his legs broken.

sandy hearts

TBH a lot of footballers like a good punt michael owen teddy sheringham. was on SSN that ***** jeffers had put himself into rehad with a gambling adddiction.

I would be very surprised if it was in Scotland

I P Knightley

Agree that there's a ton of players who punt a little too much for their own good. I heard a story of one player (now managing) who had his wages paid to his wife so that she could ration his gambling money to ?5k a week - poor diddums!

The one in this story was at Sporting Chance - the rehab centre set up by the FA & PFA; both English organisations. Don't know what the criteria are for entry, whether you are playing in England, are an English player or have just ever played in England, paying subs to the PFA.

On first reading I assumed it to be an English player.

Grant Brebner did a runner to Australia owing a bookie a tidy sum even after hibs paid it off for him

I'd heard it involves a current leicester player

lost in leith

John Hartson was involved in a bizarre incident when he was at West Ham. At the start of a game at Old Trafford (IIRC) the ball was touched to him at kick off and he leathered it sideways into the crowd. This was in the early day of spread betting - the suggestion was that you could bet on the time of the first throw in and he'd been 'encouraged' to ensure that those who bet lower than the spread were smiling. ;)

John Hartson was involved in a bizarre incident when he was at West Ham. At the start of a game at Old Trafford (IIRC) the ball was touched to him at kick off and he leathered it sideways into the crowd. This was in the early day of spread betting - the suggestion was that you could bet on the time of the first throw in and he'd been 'encouraged' to ensure that those who bet lower than the spread were smiling. ;)

Did Mikey Stewart not do something like that on Saturday?!?! :ninja:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'm absolutely certain Brebner got sent off for an unexplainable tackle in one of his last games for Hibs.

I'm certain his signing on bonus at his next club saved him his knee caps.

I think it's probably an English player though.

Toxteth O'Grady

Anyone think Hans Segers (Sp?) threw the match against us when he was on loan at Dunfermline?

I P Knightley

I don't think that there was any doubt about this. The players cheered when they won the toss and cheered when they kick the ball off in the first second.

I think they'd sold at about 90 seconds so were minted without affecting the outcome of the game.

Nobody was reprimanded and this incident wasn't looked into by the FA; nor (I believe) did it influence the rule about betting in matches in which you're involved.

The bookies took a look at their own offers, though!

Toxteth O'Grady

Did Mikey Stewart have a bet on that last week against Falkirk?;)

Anyone think Hans Segers (Sp?) threw the match against us when he was on loan at Dunfermline?

What about Kurskis at Ibrox ?

AllowayJambo
Agree that there's a ton of players who punt a little too much for their own good. I heard a story of one player (now managing) who had his wages paid to his wife so that she could ration his gambling money to ?5k a week - poor diddums!

The one in this story was at Sporting Chance - the rehab centre set up by the FA & PFA; both English organisations. Don't know what the criteria are for entry, whether you are playing in England, are an English player or have just ever played in England, paying subs to the PFA.

On first reading I assumed it to be an English player.

Was that not a certain goalkeeper who played for Hibs, Rangers & Scotland. Think his then manager (who is now back at that club) was giving him a ton a week and his missus was getting the rest. He was in all sorts of bother for years with bookies (not sure he still isn't?)

maroonedinoz

Its a former Premiership player and the incident allegedly took place within the last two years.

Archived