Dave MacKay Going to the Spurs Game.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Good to hear the great man will be in attendance according to official site. :thumbsup:

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20110808/hospitality-nearing-a-sell-out_2241460_2413703

Apparently he's not in the best of health so it's great he's making the effort and fitting that Hearts have invited him as a guest of honour.

Hope we put in a performance that does him justice. :)

loveofthegame

Superb. One of my hero's, despite the fact i am far far too young to have ever seen him manage, let alone play.

Johanes de Silentio

I doubt that Dave reads Kickback, but if you are reading, Dave...

we'll try not to let you down, sir! :thumbsup:

Son Of Anarchy

Is he well enough to play? :whistling: The man is a true Hearts legend and im sure this is the tie he would have hoped for.Ive talked to many spurs fans over the years and never once heard anything but praise :thumbsup:

Nucky Thompson

?185 plus VAT for hospitality <_< Robbing barstewards, that's ?60 more than the usual top price for the Old Firm and Hibs :down:

Jambof3tornado

?185 plus VAT for hospitality <_< Robbing barstewards, that's ?60 more than the usual top price for the Old Firm and Hibs :down:

Supply and demand!

Nucky Thompson

Supply and demand!

Suppose so but I can't help the feeling that they're fleecing their own fans :rolleyes: That's just knocked it out of my reach!

If he doesn't do the halftime draw, I won't be back. Had the pleasure of meeting him once (very occasionally comes to my local for a pint). Total gent.

Chad Sexington

If he doesn't do the halftime draw, I won't be back. Had the pleasure of meeting him once (very occasionally comes to my local for a pint). Total gent.

He certainly is.

Was lucky enough to fawn all over him chat to him over a pint a good few years ago. :thumbsup:

A nicer, more humble man, you couldn't hope to meet.

He told me he HATES that Bremner photo though. :o

?185 plus VAT for hospitality <_<Robbing barstewards, that's ?60 more than the usual top price for the Old Firm and Hibs :down:

Vladimir and Romanov. rolleyes.gif

Independence

I remember listening to 5live in 1999 and Dave Mackay was featured on a 'living legends' programme. He was being interviewed and, of course ,it started of with his Hearts career. It then , naturally, moved to his time at Spurs. However, he kept referring back to the Hearts and the interviewer was not best pleased. At the end of the programme the interviewer explained that Dave Mackay had asked before the programme that he wished to describe the tie he was wearing to the listeners.....his Hearts centenary tie that, as he said, he was wearing with pride. He is Hearts 'through and through' and IS and will be forever a Hearts legend.

Francis Albert

?185 plus VAT for hospitality dry.gif Robbing barstewards, that's ?60 more than the usual top price for the Old Firm and Hibs :down:

Only ?60 more than Hibs? Sounds like a giveaway.

Anyway Dave Mackay, asked when co-commenting on a Derby Spurs game who he was supporting given his conflict of loyalties said simply "Son, I'm a Hearts fan".

Tommy Wiseau

the uber fans won't be happy about this.

Trolling post reported.

:Vlad-Stupid:

Dave MacKay is a proper Hearts man and welcome at Tynecastle any time he likes. Glad to hear he hasn't had to miss out so that someone's bursd who watched MOTD once to look at David Ginola's legs can mince along for a bandwagon jump. :smuggy:

RoussetsShorts

Trolling post reported.

:Vlad-Stupid:

Dave MacKay is a proper Hearts man and welcome at Tynecastle any time he likes. Glad to hear he hasn't had to miss out so that someone's bursd who watched MOTD once to look at David Ginola's legs can mince along for a bandwagon jump. :smuggy:

you surely can't be a day older than 14.

Only ?60 more than Hibs? Sounds like a giveaway.

Anyway Dave Mackay, asked when co-commenting on a Derby Spurs game who he was supporting given his conflict of loyalties said simply "Son, I'm a Hearts fan".

He was in the studio and Hairy Hands Keys asked him which team he supported, to which he gave that famous reply :thumbsup:

post-9088-0-99379000-1312821545_thumb.jpg

Francis Albert

He was in the studio and Hairy Hands Keys asked him which team he supported, to which he gave that famous reply :thumbsup:

I stand corrected, but a fabulous response in any case. I particularly like it because of what to some may be the the small detail that he didn't say "Im a Jambo".

Laughed when i saw this bloke as i know the boy on the left of Dave.

Good to hear the great man will be in attendance according to official site. :thumbsup:

http://www.heartsfc....2241460_2413703

Apparently he's not in the best of health so it's great he's making the effort and fitting that Hearts have invited him as a guest of honour.

Hope we put in a performance that does him justice. :)

Is it true he's got a ticket for Section N?

He's a good lad :thumbsup: You breaking out of family life for spurs away mate?

He's a good lad :thumbsup: You breaking out of family life for spurs away mate?

Could be nicht de coin but i'm on it,silly question asking you friend?

Could be nicht de coin but i'm on it,silly question asking you friend?

I'm there mate.

Chad Sexington

If he has, I hope he leaves any tea towels at home :ermm:

He is widely quoted as saying that but it didn't stop him signing a limited edition run of 500 prints of the photo (provenance guaranteed) - one of which I am pleased to have.

I bought my dad one a few years ago for his birthday :thumbsup:

He says in his book that he has come to dislike it because it does not represent the style of player he was. He always believed in fair play. This is backed up by the fact that he was never red carded in his playing career. He does however acknowlege the fact that he has signed hundreds of said iconic pic (and it was a lucky jouno who got it at the time). End of the day Bremner deserved what he got because Davie had just recovered from 2 broken legs and said Leeds player went in recklessly with no intention of going for the ball.

J.T.F.Robertson

Funny that, because the guy second from the left, with the gregorys, looks very much like a cousin of mine. (and he goes to all these events in The Gorgie)

Comparing cold porridge to smoked salmon mate.

I can confirm Mr Dave will be in section N for the game.

Initially he wanted a seat in G, but Hearts explained to him that unfortunately he didn't hold a legendary enough status to get a ticket for G.

Mr Dave understood fully.

I bought my dad one a few years ago for his birthday :thumbsup:

He says in his book that he has come to odislike it because it does not represent the style of player he was. He always believed in fair play. This is backed up by the fact that he was never red carded in his playing career. He does however acknowlege the fact that he has signed hundreds of said iconic pic (and it was a lucky jouno who got it at the time). End of the day Bremner deserved what he got because Davie had just recovered from 2 broken legs and said Leeds player went in recklessly with no intention of going for the ball.

He was red carded once but thought it was unjust so refused to leave the field and played on

He was red carded once but thought it was unjust so refused to leave the field and played on

Thanks for that piece of info - I didn't realise that :thumbsup:

Which allows me to bring out his 1/2 time draw comment for the umpteenth time :ninja:

When asked about going to spurs, he grabbed the mike and fumed "I didn't go........I was sent"

Anyway I fully expect a standing ovation for him on the night :thumbsup:

Mr Nice gets it spot on. That's exactly how Dave tells it. He was also in Yorkshire when Billy Bremner died and went to the funeral. He told me that as the coffin went past he "gave it a wee kick for old times sake".

chester copperpot

Comparing cold porridge to smoked salmon mate.

Too true, and you can't blame the club for trying to make some serious bunce out of the tie.

The spurs fans will be all over our hospitality. They'll find the prices a steal compared to what they have to pay at WHL.

Buffalo Bill

Mr Nice gets it spot on. That's exactly how Dave tells it. He was also in Yorkshire when Billy Bremner died and went to the funeral. He told me that as the coffin went past he "gave it a wee kick for old times sake".

I liked that.

Gregory House M.D.

Who was it that described him as "The hardest man he'd ever played with"?

Carl Spackler

I remember listening to 5live in 1999 and Dave Mackay was featured on a 'living legends' programme. He was being interviewed and, of course ,it started of with his Hearts career. It then , naturally, moved to his time at Spurs. However, he kept referring back to the Hearts and the interviewer was not best pleased. At the end of the programme the interviewer explained that Dave Mackay had asked before the programme that he wished to describe the tie he was wearing to the listeners.....his Hearts centenary tie that, as he said, he was wearing with pride. He is Hearts 'through and through' and IS and will be forever a Hearts legend.

You can still see/hear it here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/football_legends/11920.shtml

Who was it that described him as "The hardest man he'd ever played with"?

Dave Mackay described John Cumming as the hardest man he'd ever played with.

From The great man himself at a shareholders night

I filmed that evening and sent it to Londonhearts they may still have it up on the website somewhere.

Gregory House M.D.

Dave Mackay described John Cumming as the hardest man he'd ever played with.

Yeah, I knew that but someone also said it about Mackay.

deesidejambo

I have a strange claim to fame.

In late 70s or early '80s I played fives against a Hearts team that had both Dave and Gary Mackay playing in the same team. Dave was boss and Gary a youth player.

Heard conflicting stories as to how keen he was to return as Manager before Clough signed him but it must be one of the great "What Ifs" in our history.

Johanes de Silentio

Heard conflicting stories as to how keen he was to return as Manager before Clough signed him but it must be one of the great "What Ifs" in our history.

We get a couple of mentions in the film 'The Damned United' about this.

There are a few inaccuracies in that film, but it's brilliant, imo.

"Fookin' tie shop?" :lol:

Archived