Players & Best Positions

Smith&Weston

Smith&Weston

Our injuries do not help but have to wonder why we persist on playing players outwith their natural positions? McGowan looks like a Central Defender, Hammil is a right back, Jonnson is a Central Midfielder, Stevenson is a Central Midfielder, Templeton and Driver are out and out wingers etc.

I would like to see players return to their natural positions for the game this w/end for a start.

Kello

Hammil

Grainger

Zaliukas

McGowan

Jonnson

Skacel

Stevenson

Driver

Taouil

Sutton

maroonshrew

How does that team line up cos to me people are still out of position. Hamill actually isnt a right back. and Taouil in that side looks to be out wide right and he isnt a winger.

Johanes de Silentio

How does that team line up cos to me people are still out of position. Hamill actually isnt a right back. and Taouil in that side looks to be out wide right and he isnt a winger.

Hamill had his best season for Killie at RB last season.

maroonshrew

Hamill had his best season for Killie at RB last season.

Yea but I dont think thats what he is regarded as even though its clearly where we signed him for.

Johanes de Silentio

Yea but I dont think thats what he is regarded as even though its clearly where we signed him for.

I'd prefer Hamill at RB than McGowan, who I think is best as centre-back - Hamill's use of the ball is better.

Smith&Weston

Hamill was bought to play rb. Taouil could come off that right hand side and link with Sutton or interchange with Driver. If not he could swap with Skacel or Templeton could play (although off the boil in Utd and Well games);

maroonshrew

PS will be the second manager not to fancy McGowan at CB if he doesnt play there. Id liek to see the lad comeinto his own there cos its a position he xcould play for years for us.

Can't help but wade in here. This argument rips ma knittin, so it does.

We aren't talking about Temps playing CH or Kello up front here.

The manager and his staff see players every day in training. Where they decide to play them is their position. Other than very ovious ones - usually CHs and CFs - noone has a "natural position".

Were people freaking out when Paul Hartley played CM? "But, but, but he's a winger...."

I played against Gary Naismith right through boys club. He was a centre forward. A good coach moved him to LB and the rest is history.

Big Slim McPherson was our cup winning RB and played there on more than a few occasions for us. But he was a centre half!! Imagine!

Ryan Stevenson has played his best for us up front. So is he a midfielder or a forward? He's a guy who can play up front or in midfield is what he is.

People bang on about Eggy being a midfielder. It's only cos that's where he played when he first broke through. Fact is, he's a guy who plays a number of positions to a decent level. Maybe it's time he was settled on one position for his own good, but the "he's a midfielder so should play there" chat is pish.

What I would say is that moving players around the pitch every week isn't very helpful - you want players to be as settled in a positions as you can. And obviously someone can be played somewhere that just doesn't suit - maybe a coach will try something that just doesn't work (Csaba!), but that still doesn't mean players are iron-branded with positions. Far too much hootin and hollering on the subject.

Archived