Hotspur and Heart of Midlothian

southside1874

southside1874

Shakespeare and Scott. How bizarre!!!!! Is there not some jewish guy at the biginning of both clubs too?

southside1874

I'm pisshed.lol. Hotspur was a character from shakespeare as Hearts are named after a book too. I just found this amusing. There can't be many teams that has there names originated from books...........................

Gregory House M.D.

I'm pisshed.lol. Hotspur was a character from shakespeare as Hearts are named after a book too. I just found this amusing. There can't be many teams that has there names originated from books...........................

:lol: Named after a book? :lol: Stay off the glue Southside. :P

Named after a book?? Got your research a bit wrong bud.

Shakespeare and Scott. How bizarre!!!!! Is there not some jewish guy at the biginning of both clubs too?

You mean Elias Furst? Scotsman ran a story on him just after Romanov came in...

Don't know about Spurs

http://sport.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/The-Russian-who-laid-the.2802961.jp

He's right. Where do you think the dance hall ( allegedly frquented by the founding players of HMFC ) got their name from? Scott's "Heart of Midlothian"

Gregory House M.D.

You mean Elias Furst? Scotsman ran a story on him just after Romanov came in...

Don't know about Spurs

http://sport.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/The-Russian-who-laid-the.2802961.jp

He's right. Where do you think the dance hall ( allegedly frquented by the founding players of HMFC ) got their name from? Scott's "Heart of Midlothian"

Cheers, I'm well aware of thr book. Heart of Midlothian dance hall took that name directly, we never, we were named after the dancehall. As you've already pointed out.

CavySlaveJambo

Isn't Tottenham near all the larger orthodox Jewish communities in London?

But some of Tottenhams fans are known as the yid army - yid being yiddish for jewish.

The "Heart Of Midlothian" book was named after the jail on the Royal Mile although, to be honest, I'm not sure whether it was known as the Heart of Midlothian before Sir Walter Scott used the name or not.

It's generally accepted that the football club was named after a dance hall which was in turn named after the jail - although the book MIGHT have been the origin of that name for said jail.

Gregory House M.D.

The "Heart Of Midlothian" book was named after the jail on the Royal Mile although, to be honest, I'm not sure whether it was known as the Heart of Midlothian before Sir Walter Scott used the name or not.

It's generally accepted that the football club was named after a dance hall which was in turn named after the jail - although the book MIGHT have been the origin of that name for said jail.

Wasn't it the Old Tolbooth prison or something?

Wasn't it the Old Tolbooth prison or something?

It was. The Old Tolbooth was the local govt. admin centre, prison and a site of executions.

Not sure if the name "Heart of Midlothian" was in use before Scott's novel. However, as you say, I doubt the original players were thinking of the book when they named the club. :thumbsup:

Gregory House M.D.

It was. The Old Tolbooth was the local govt. admin centre, prison and a site of executions.

Not sure if the name "Heart of Midlothian" was in use before Scott's novel. However, as you say, I doubt the original players were thinking of the book when they named the club. :thumbsup:

Thought so. So we took the name indirectly from the book. As ever, Hearts deeply engraved in Scotlands History :verysmug:

the tolbooth dates to the 15th c. The original was removed in 1817, scott's novel was published in 1818, meaning the tolbooth predates the book.

Prefer the fact that both Hearts and Tottenham are known as cup teams as both have not won their current leagues (SPL and Premiership) but have both won cups in their respected country.

southside1874

I am pretty sure most of the players at the time where pretty well versed in the book mate. It was only 25 years before the club was originally registered that they built a big monument slap bang in the middle of the city, to the author. Jeanie deans was used to name pubs, steam ships and steam engines and Dumbiedykes, the housing estate was named from the land

lord in the book. Although it is widely "accepted" that the name came from the prison/admin centre, I think it would be foolish to write off the influence of the book.:teehee:

Hearts Heritage

Prefer the fact that both Hearts and Tottenham are known as cup teams as both have not won their current leagues (SPL and Premiership) but have both won cups in their respected country.

With all due respect that is nonsense.

Spurs are most famed for doing the first 20th Century Double

and Hearts greatest achievement was scoring 132 F and 29A in winning the title in 1958.

Whatever the re-branding may be they are simply a continuation of the Top Tier league in both countries.

scots civil war

any punter out there know where exactly was the `heart of midlothian dancehall `?

gorgie_rebel

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Spurs and us played a game or a 2 legged game tagged the "world club champions" or something like that....Early 19 something????????

Maybe the London Hearts guys could clarify??

durhamhearts

229615_235229496515734_100000860575178_686359_4542324_n.jpg

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Spurs and us played a game or a 2 legged game tagged the "world club champions" or something like that....Early 19 something????????

Maybe the London Hearts guys could clarify??

Its all a bit of a myth with the Jewish thing and Tottenham. Tottenham were actually started by the Presbyterian Church and naturally through time, due to a large Jewish influx to the area, they gained alot of support from fans of that background.

Buckstone Hearts

any punter out there know where exactly was the `heart of midlothian dancehall `?

I believe it was in Forrest Road. Used to be Oddfellows when I was younger. Think it is an Australian bar these days. Could be wrong.

colinmaroon

I think you'd find that the generation who founded Hearts were a lot more clued up on their English - sorry, Scottish Literature than the. "Which of the following three answers is correct" mob today!

scots civil war

forrest road,yeah got ya mate cheers

should be a plaque there or summat imo

wonder what kind of music they had in that club in the 1860/70`s eh

Drylaw Hearts

Cliff Richard ?

scots civil war

hehe,ole harry webb eh

mustve been fiddling n all that malarkey,reels n shit

I believe it was in Forrest Road. Used to be Oddfellows when I was younger. Think it is an Australian bar these days. Could be wrong.

It's now a really terrible Oirish pub called Malone.... quite a regular riot spot that's causing hassle to the other pubs on Forest Rd!

Rubbish! It was in the Canongate part of the High Street the exact close I'm still trying to find out. In the area of Old Playhouse Close, Sugarhouse Close and Bakehouse Close.

I will post when I find out for definite.

this guy?

sacredheartjesus3.jpg

not sure we're that old to be honest.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Rubbish! It was in the Canongate part of the High Street the exact close I'm still trying to find out. In the area of Old Playhouse Close, Sugarhouse Close and Bakehouse Close.

Never heard or read any reference to it being in Forrest Road though I'm sure in Macrae's Battalion it suggests it was in the High Street near the 'Heart of Midlothian' depicted in the cobbles which makes sense. The book also makes reference to the fact that the origins of the name of the club is uncertain, like the club itself, and that Sir Walter Scott's novels were so popular at the time that the name might well have been taken from the book. What really matters is that it IS a great name, for a great club, and not just a town with United or Rangers or whatever stuck on the end of it. And when you think of it like that, a bit like Tottenham Hotspur really.

Named after a book?? Got your research a bit wrong bud.

Hearts were born loosely from prisons and dancers and tottenham born from cricketers and a historical warrior immortalised by William Shakespeare :thumbsup:

Never heard or read any reference to it being in Forrest Road though I'm sure in Macrae's Battalion it suggests it was in the High Street near the 'Heart of Midlothian' depicted in the cobbles which makes sense. The book also makes reference to the fact that the origins of the name of the club is uncertain, like the club itself, and that Sir Walter Scott's novels were so popular at the time that the name might well have been taken from the book. What really matters is that it IS a great name, for a great club, and not just a town with United or Rangers or whatever stuck on the end of it. And when you think of it like that, a bit like Tottenham Hotspur really.

Pretty unique our name, unfortunately the use of the Heart Of Midlothian is used less and less these days, cringe worthy and embarrassing that the media and even our own use the term 'Jambo' as a hurried replacement, obviously i don't mind Hearts as our nickname and even the legendary 'cockney rhyme' Jam Tarts, still shake with anger when the prick Chris Robinson changed our business identity to Hearts FC .

The name Rangers is pretty scarce too with only Glasgow, Berwick and Queens Park using it.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

'Pretty unique our name, unfortunately the use of the Heart Of Midlothian is used less and less these days, cringe worthy and embarrassing that the media and even our own use the term 'Jambo' as a hurried replacement, obviously i don't mind Hearts as our nickname and even the legendary 'cockney rhyme' Jam Tarts, still shake with anger when the prick Chris Robinson changed our business identity to Hearts FC .'

The name Rangers is pretty scarce too with only Glasgow, Berwick and Queens Park using it.

Agree with you that 'Rangers' isn't all that widely used but my point was that so many teams just take the town name and add a 'sporty' sounding description. Our name also has a bit of a drawback as I'm sure we'd be better known worldwide if we were called Edinburgh .... whatever as most literate people in the world have heard of our city and would instantly recognise it. I remember being in Munich for our game there and met no Germans with a clue who Hearts were, but all knew of Edinburgh. We've even been described in programmes as Edinburgh Hearts FC. Still, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Despit my nickname I agree about the use of Jambos, I'm a bit old fashioned that way too, but it fits better than 'allyhearts' that'd make me sound a bit like somebody on a dating site, I think lol

Oops as well as being old fashioned I've not made a very good job of replying to your post, dannymack

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

this guy?

sacredheartjesus3.jpg

not sure we're that old to be honest.

Although the works of Shakespeare and Scott have both been drawn into the discussion, I feel confident in asserting that this is one fictional character definitely not involved in founding Hearts.

However, I believe he is expected to intercede regularly in Old Firm matches - for both sides, naturally. :ermm:

Oops as well as being old fashioned I've not made a very good job of replying to your post, dannymack

What about AllyTheTart ? :whistling:

alwaysthereinspirit

229615_235229496515734_100000860575178_686359_4542324_n.jpg

So the same year #ibs won the Scottish cup we won the "world cup"

Must really suck being a #obo.:whistling:

AllyjamboDerbyshire

What about AllyTheTart ? :whistling:

You obviously think you can just whistle and I'll come running, just what kind of a tart do you take me for :yucky:

Send a pm to Eddie Fenwick, he should remember.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Pretty unique our name, unfortunately the use of the Heart Of Midlothian is used less and less these days, cringe worthy and embarrassing that the media and even our own use the term 'Jambo' as a hurried replacement, obviously i don't mind Hearts as our nickname and even the legendary 'cockney rhyme' Jam Tarts, still shake with anger when the prick Chris Robinson changed our business identity to Hearts FC .

Not the biggest fan of the name Jambo(s) either. I always use Hearts, Jam Tarts or JT's. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned thay way.

Spurs originally played just up the road from WHL at Northumberland Park.

The Duke of Northumberland in a Shakespeare play was Harry Hotspur.

Spurs did originally have a lot of local Jewish supporters.

During the Oswald Mosely fascist marches through the East End of London (pre-WW2), those Jewish Spurs fans, alongside non-Jewish Spurs (who stood side by side in club over religion solidarity), fought with Mosely's black shirts.

Hence we started to be called YIDS in a derogatory manner in the same way that the 'N' word is.

However, we have subsequently turned the word into something to be proud of & that we ARE proud of even though 90-95% of us are not Jewish.

Hence our hatred for the BNP supporting racists from Stamford Bridge.

Buckstone Hearts

You're right, don't know where I got the Oddfellows thing from, thought I read it somewhere.

Done a bit of checking and it seems to have been in Washing Green Court(later known as Holyrood Square) off the South Back Canongate where the Dumbiedykes flats are.

The dance club was called Heart of Mid-lothian after the old Tolbooth in the High Street.

Archived