A "Cheeky" Wee Bit of Flair

jambo_jim

Don't know if anyone has seen this one before but it's a clip of Hearts v Rangers back in 1972. It may have been included in some previous Hearts vids but it's the first time I've seen it.

Some nice build up play resulting in a goal which our Dockside friends can only dream of now Mixu has deployed his unique brand of football.

From what I can see from the London Hearts site it looks like the guy who takes the mickey is Tommy Murray.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYPnDALjBo

The Old Tolbooth

Ha ha ha!!!

Loving the way he sat on the ball at 0-0 taking the utter pish with 4 minutes to go at hunbrox, and then when he got up it led to the move that scored the winning goal!

Absolute quality!!!

Am I right, or is it just a maroon-tinted moan that the sitting on the ball resulted in a rule change in that it was subsequently deemed ungentlemanly conduct?

colinmaroon
Am I right, or is it just a maroon-tinted moan that the sitting on the ball resulted in a rule change in that it was subsequently deemed ungentlemanly conduct?

Yes!!!

Previous season - Willie Johnson did it against us - no action!!!

We do it - banned!!!

What us, paranoid???

Read my lips - there is no GFA conspiracy!!!

Read my lips again - Lord, forgive me for lying in my teeth!!!

The Old Tolbooth

Your absolutely correct Boof, but only 5 years earlier we were heroes for doing exactly the same thing at Wembley against England, our FA has more faces than big freekin ben!!!

What video/dvd was that from and is it still available?

Would love to see more of that stuff!

Stuart Lyon

I was there to see it and was with some Rangers fans - that was back in the days before terrace segregation.

dkmmgcycbwc
Your absolutely correct Boof, but only 5 years earlier we were heroes for doing exactly the same thing at Wembley against England, our FA has more faces than big freekin ben!!!

Untrue! This is a folk myth that grew over the years. Baxter played keepie-uppie but never sat on the ball that day.

What video/dvd was that from and is it still available?

Would love to see more of that stuff!

Hearts - The Celebration (I think)

I've got it as part of a 4 DVD box set including the 5-1 game, 98 Cup Run and 22 in a row.

Couldn't believe that my Sister-in-law got me that one birthday!

I was also at the game and remember my dad hustling me out the ground (cheering as I went) as there were some very disgruntled rahgers fans around. No segregation in those days!

Any idea where to find confirmation of this?

Was it just the SFA or was it a FIFA thing?

3 weeks later we were letting in 7 against Hibs.

The highs and lows of following Hearts.

Aye - the more things change the more they stay the same. :confused:

Harry Kinnear

Ah Tommy Murray! great debut against the Pars away, decent player but never quite fulfilling potential......familiar story? Good memory though

alwaysthereinspirit

Funny how the players dont even celebrate that much after the goal.

Today there would be a pig pile and the ref would yellow card the scorer for having the audacity to score against Rankgers.;)

Classic.

Hope Nade doesn't try it tomorrow, cos Kilmarnock will be one ball down and one frisbee up.

WorldChampions1902
I was there to see it and was with some Rangers fans - that was back in the days before terrace segregation.

I was there that day and I still remember it as one of the most one-sided football matches I ever saw. Der Hun pummelled us from the first to the 89th minute and Kenny Garland played a blinder.

Ahhhhhhhhhh the memories. :)

Hearts - The Celebration (I think)

I've got it as part of a 4 DVD box set including the 5-1 game, 98 Cup Run and 22 in a row.

Couldn't believe that my Sister-in-law got me that one birthday!

Thanks Boris - anyone know if its still available to buy?

The Old Tolbooth
Any idea where to find confirmation of this?

Was it just the SFA or was it a FIFA thing?

I'm not sure mate, this has cropped up before on here and someone mentioned about the SFA taking action against Hearts for ungentlemanly conduct, when the cap fits I guess.

I'm sure this was where I saw it - I'm having a fairly major cyber-argument on another forum with a variety of OF and sheep and would like to point out the OF-ification of the SFA as not being recent.

If it's just an urban/Gorgie myth I'll leave it but if there's actually any verifiable evidence that the SFA really DID do the law-change thing I'd love to use it as proof of yet one more pro-OF decision. Not that I need that many more - there's plenty out there.

Archived