Scottish Daily Mail

gowestjambo

gowestjambo

Apologies cannot find link, but I saw this article in the Daily Mail which offers a different slant - one which most of us would certainly agree with!

"Jefferies, even though few might have sensed as much at the time, was stretching his boss's tolerance from afar when Hearts played out last term without a win in eight.

Finishing a distant third to the old firm didnt satisfy Romanov. Nor did losing at home to Dundee Utd last Sunday, after a draw at Ibrox on opening day of the new season.

Vlad does not buy into the belief that no one can compete with rangers and celtic and, rather than damn him as being deranged, maybe we should try and share his perspective.

After all, if the defeatist attitude which pervades in Scotland prevailed in say, Germany and Holland, Wolfsburg wouldnt have won the Bundeslaegue in 2009 - or FC Twente the Eredivisie a year later.

Romanov wants Hearts to alter their style of playing, perhaps with less reliance on a big striker like John Sutton or Kevin Kyle.

In that case, it is not difficult to see where he is coming from. The modern game best exemplified by Barcelona, is increasingly about passing ability and pace.

All of this is to suggest there may be a little madness in Romanov's perceived madness, with the appointment of Sergio possibly going some way to signifying as much"

Well it makes a change from the MAD VLAD brigade!

Denny Crane

Whose byline accompanied this article?

gowestjambo

Whose byline accompanied this article?

Brian Scott, and a bit of journalism that isn't anti Hearts!

Also Tam Cowan, giving support to Hearts quest to topple the old firm,

Makes a bit of a change from the usual guff.....

Apologies cannot find link, but I saw this article in the Daily Mail which offers a different slant - one which most of us would certainly agree with!

"Jefferies, even though few might have sensed as much at the time, was stretching his boss's tolerance from afar when Hearts played out last term without a win in eight.

Finishing a distant third to the old firm didnt satisfy Romanov. Nor did losing at home to Dundee Utd last Sunday, after a draw at Ibrox on opening day of the new season.

Vlad does not buy into the belief that no one can compete with rangers and celtic and, rather than damn him as being deranged, maybe we should try and share his perspective.

After all, if the defeatist attitude which pervades in Scotland prevailed in say, Germany and Holland, Wolfsburg wouldnt have won the Bundeslaegue in 2009 - or FC Twente the Eredivisie a year later.

Romanov wants Hearts to alter their style of playing, perhaps with less reliance on a big striker like John Sutton or Kevin Kyle.

In that case, it is not difficult to see where he is coming from. The modern game best exemplified by Barcelona, is increasingly about passing ability and pace.

All of this is to suggest there may be a little madness in Romanov's perceived madness, with the appointment of Sergio possibly going some way to signifying as much"

yo dawg we heard you like mad so we put some mad in your mad

The Real Maroonblood

Brian Scott, and a bit of journalism that isn't anti Hearts!

Also Tam Cowan, giving support to Hearts quest to topple the old firm,

Makes a bit of a change from the usual guff.....

Probably being a Jambo helps.

Billy Dodds on Sportsound last night saying Hearts can only finish 3rd at best. Sums up the west coast media attitude.

winston churchill

Billy Dodds on Sportsound last night saying Hearts can only finish 3rd at best. Sums up the west coast media attitude.

With the gash squad we have he is right.

The Real Maroonblood

Although I don't particularly like this muppet, I agree with the squad we have 3rd would be the best we could achieve.

We've progressed over the last couple of seasons and showed last year with everyone fit we can beat anybody. We just need to keep improving and one day we will get there.

Perhaps, but we should always aim for first. For too long now, teams accept they have no right to finish above the Old Squirm, as have the media.

WeeToonJambo

The same Billy Dodds who, along with Chick Young, announced on Sportsound, after Csaba's sacking, that no one in their right mind would take the Hearts job. This was at precisely the same time as Jim Jefferies was being announced as our new manager. Dodds, like most West of Scotland pundits and journos knows nothing about football outside Glasgow.

The Real Maroonblood

Perhaps, but we should always aim for first. For too long now, teams accept they have no right to finish above the Old Squirm, as have the media.

Very true but until "The Puppet Master" invests money in quality players it won't happen.

All we need now are the appropriate players to play this style of game.

I think we do have some players suited to this style. Temps, Driver, Rudi, Taouil and perhaps even Black, Grainger and Hamill. My main concern is the lack of depth and quality in central midfield and the fact tha we have to choose either a forward who is nippy and alert like 2Ts or a big immobile striker like Sutton or KK. We somebody who combines these qualities like Jelavic.

gowestjambo

I agree entirely. Watching us pass the ball sideways in front of Paksi is a different thing from passing the ball through them!

However, we have to keep reminding ourselves that we need to remain positive, and not have a defeatist attitude when playing the old firm!

gowestjambo

Completely agree, I am not sure Vlad's idea is to hand millions to our new manager to change things though.....

(And Sergio's comments like give me the cash and I will make you number one Vlad - is going to prolong his career at Hearts)

The wee nyaff was at it again on Sportsound this afternoon. It's like he's saying Hearts should know their place. How dare they even contemplate dislodging the uglies. He is just another delusional Hun who hasn't got the message yet that his beloved Gers are on the slide doon the ladder.

Hopefully Vlad will let Paulo Sergio bring in a couple of players of his own choice to strengthen the squad as he sees fit while off-loading ones he sees as surplus to requirements. If we can get the full squad match fit we certainly can beat Rangers for second and challenge Celtic for the title.

Oh, how I would love to see Dodds and the rest of the Weegie 'monkeys' having to eat humble pie at the end of the season.

Very true but until "The Puppet Master" invests money in quality players it won't happen.

Not even so sure it's investment in players. The squad we have should beat the other 9 week in week out, the odd away draw. We then have a go at the OF, who in a one-off game we can definitely beat, especially with some momentum behind us.

Our problem isn't, and in a way, never has been, the quality of player or VR's willingness to stump up for a player. The problem is his constant interference. There is no way in hell we'd have had the bad run of winless games had VR kept his nose out last season. JJ told him so. He went.

Good luck to Sergio - we just might be on to a winner. But it'll only happen if VR backs up his ambition by realising that constantly unsettling the dressing room hampers us severely.

Not even so sure it's investment in players. The squad we have should beat the other 9 week in week out, the odd away draw. We then have a go at the OF, who in a one-off game we can definitely beat, especially with some momentum behind us.

Our problem isn't, and in a way, never has been, the quality of player or VR's willingness to stump up for a player. The problem is his constant interference. There is no way in hell we'd have had the bad run of winless games had VR kept his nose out last season. JJ told him so. He went.

Good luck to Sergio - we just might be on to a winner. But it'll only happen if VR backs up his ambition by realising that constantly unsettling the dressing room hampers us severely.

There are many reasons we don't beat the other 9 in the spl week in week out. VR interfering may be one of them. Poor tactical decisions, lack of effort, malingerers, regular lengthy injury lists and failure to find a creative midfielder have all played a part.

Twisting almost everything into being vlads fault is getting a bit boring now.

I'm paraphrasing, but at one point he asked: Why are they trying to better themselves, they can't better themselves? What a depressing attitude.

maroonshrew

im not sayign we can do it now but surely Romanov is just trying to say, with the right manager, with the right players and with the right tactics. With all these hypotheticals, we could make a challenge. And he thinks, rightly so, that Scottish football inherently thinks this isnt possible because we are not one of them. Its a bizarre attitude to have.

Jambomullins

I'm paraphrasing, but at one point he asked: Why are they trying to better themselves, they can't better themselves? What a depressing attitude.

This is the attitude that is hampering the whole of Scottish football. It breeds a 'We know that everyone thinks that we're crap so we may as well fulfill that stereotype' type attitude and it's held us back for years. Countries such as Holland & Sweden have populations similar to ours but seem to churn out top class players because they strive to be the best.........and their media support competition amongst their domestic teams as a positive step for football in their countries.

As for Hearts, we need the players to start believing that they can beat anyone. The Old firm have squads that are no better than Hearts on paper but have it drilled into them that 2nd place is failure. It seems that this is what Romanovis trying to instill in the players and as much as hate the ****, I support this big time.

Coburg Hearts

Only in Scotland would you be mocked and ridiculed by the media, and others, for wanting to be the best.

Only in Scotland would you be mocked and ridiculed by the media, and others, for wanting to be the best.

we are at a level with what i considered a top boss but to achieve more vlad needs to spend

Tommy Wiseau

I will say it again the only hinderance on hearts winning the league is mad vlads interferance.

:rofl:

Right enough.

That's why we used to win it all the ****ing time before he took over, eh? :Vlad-Stupid:

gowestjambo

we are at a level with what i considered a top boss but to achieve more vlad needs to spend

Well they say talk is cheap. For too long we have accepted 3rd is as high as we can achieve.

I am delighted to hear Vlad is not prepared to accept second best, but unless these fine words are backed up by better quality players I am resigned to the fact that talk is all it will be!

Still it is good to hear that not everyone associated with Hearts apart from the fans, are prepared to accept defeat from the old firm as a given...

gowestjambo

I will say it again the only hinderance on hearts winning the league is mad vlads interferance.

So the fact our players are not good enough has nothing to do with it then?

This is the attitude that is hampering the whole of Scottish football. It breeds a 'We know that everyone thinks that we're crap so we may as well fulfill that stereotype' type attitude and it's held us back for years. Countries such as Holland & Sweden have populations similar to ours but seem to churn out top class players because they strive to be the best.........and their media support competition amongst their domestic teams as a positive step for football in their countries.

Agree with most of this but you'd need to check your stats a wee bit better.

Netherlands - 16,500,000 (yes, Holland, one of the provinces is 6,000,000)

Sweden - 9,300,000

Scotland - 5,200,000

I agree entirely. Watching us pass the ball sideways in front of Paksi is a different thing from passing the ball through them!

However, we have to keep reminding ourselves that we need to remain positive, and not have a defeatist attitude when playing the old firm!

The problem for me is that the players seem to run out of ideas. By that i mean that when someone is in a productive position there's a lack of movement which was clear for all to see against Dundee Utd last week. Even Zaliukas (whom i don't have much time for) was getting forward to a degree against Paksi then looking to make a pass but no-one was willing to make that move, a Cameron or Hartley type. When this happens it gives the opposition time to get back and defend anything that comes their way, that's what Utd did last week and we played right into their hands. We definitely need an attacking midfielder in there, Sutton has looked lost with no-one behind him effectively. Hopefully Temps will get some form back and Driver continues to get sharper because with nobody really going through the middle, it seems the only way for Sutton to get in amongst things. I don't much like Mrowiec either, i'd rather have an attacker in there with Black or Jonsson moping up around him.

Jambomullins

Agree with most of this but you'd need to check your stats a wee bit better.

Netherlands - 16,500,000 (yes, Holland, one of the provinces is 6,000,000)

Sweden - 9,300,000

Scotland - 5,200,000

And you wonder why your still a virgin........

kingantti1874

Absolute garbage, we had no chance before vlad and we have ha slightly more , but still virtually nae chance, since he arrived 06 aside...

grumpyjambo

1986 springs to mind as with an average squad we almost won the league!!!!

Im sure Brian Scott has written Hearts books in past, nonetheless, a very positive slant and one that i hope everyone else takes inspiration from, although its safe to say we do need to strengthen to get beyond 3rd place.

The problem for me is that the players seem to run out of ideas. By that i mean that when someone is in a productive position there's a lack of movement which was clear for all to see against Dundee Utd last week. Even Zaliukas (whom i don't have much time for) was getting forward to a degree against Paksi then looking to make a pass but no-one was willing to make that move, a Cameron or Hartley type. When this happens it gives the opposition time to get back and defend anything that comes their way, that's what Utd did last week and we played right into their hands. We definitely need an attacking midfielder in there, Sutton has looked lost with no-one behind him effectively. Hopefully Temps will get some form back and Driver continues to get sharper because with nobody really going through the middle, it seems the only way for Sutton to get in amongst things. I don't much like Mrowiec either, i'd rather have an attacker in there with Black or Jonsson moping up around him.

We looked better with a central midfield pairing of Black & Hammill - would like to see them play tomorrow tbh.

Im sure Brian Scott has written Hearts books in past, nonetheless, a very positive slant and one that i hope everyone else takes inspiration from, although its safe to say we do need to strengthen to get beyond 3rd place.

Is that cause he is your old man???????

Probably being a Jambo helps.

Because everybody on here paints Hearts in a positive light...

:rofl:

Right enough.

That's why we used to win it all the ****ing time before he took over, eh? :Vlad-Stupid:

George burley is one example I am just assuming your a bit dolly dimple or have been sleeping during the vlad flu era

And you wonder why your still a virgin........

No, not at all.

I just wonder why, in among all your good points, you try to claim something that is so demonstrably incorrect.

Archived