There's only one Dave MacKay

Deodato

I think both sets of fans should take this occasion to celebrate the legend Dave Mackay.

David Craig Mackay (born 14 November 1934) is a Scottish former football player and manager. Mackay is best remembered for a highly successful playing career with Heart of Midlothian, the Double winning Tottenham Hotspur side of 1961, and winning the league with Derby County as a manager. He also represented Scotland 22 times, and was selected for their 1958 FIFA World Cup squad. Mackay tied with Tony Book of Manchester City for the Football Writers' Association's Footballer of the Year award in 1969 and was later listed by The Football League in their "100 Legends".

It would be a wonderful site for either end to have tributes to the man. Before my time but I love hearing about what he brought to the game and would be genuinely grateful for JKB (and Spurs fans) to post their memories of watching him on this thread.

Two questions I have are based around claims people made about him. One is this: did he (kinda) 'invent' (loose expression) the long throw in technique? Two is similar, in that did he (kinda) 'invent' the sliding tackle? Taxi drivers down here in North London go on and on about him as someone who really did changed the game. Would be really nice to read some posts on Dave Mackay here.

Another Scot who taxi drivers and Spurs fans always talk about is John White. Apparently he was rated above Dave Mackay and players like Greaves but tragically lost his life at a very young age. Here's his Wikipedia biography

John Anderson White (28 April 1937 ? 21 July 1964) was a Scottish international football midfielder and sometime inside right who played a significant role for Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) during their Double winning season in 1960-61. He had two brothers, Edwin and Tom, who were also professional footballers. White was killed by lightning at the age of 27.

Again, any memories of John White would be appreciated.

I'm going to get travel and accommodation information posted during the weekend as well. White Hart Lane is a nightmare to get to, and Student Accommodation Halls offer great value for money during August if you want to do the trip on a budget.

This is going to be such a special occasion, the whole season feels like it has come to life.

Deodato

post-1129-0-65778000-1312576211_thumb.jpg

scots civil war

born on the same day as me,what a dude

im sure the great man will even be there in personage

that will set us all off

Hope both clubs invite Dave along to be honored and remembered.

A legend with both of them.

And that picture of Dave and Billy Bremner, Sheer class from the big man.

kingantti1874

Met him a couple of times, let there be no doubt where his heart lies - said himself he was gutted when hearts forced his sale to spurs...

In my opinion the most shortsighted move in the history of the club... I do not think we'd only be the third force if he had stayed for a decade

Was standing near me on McLeod street when I was waiting for the team bus to come back with the cup in 2006. My dad pointed him out to me. :thumbsup:

Was in the ill fated Balmoral boozer after the 06 final at night and my older cousins mate (about 45 at the time) went out for a smoke and came back in in tears, stating he'd just shaken hands with his hero Dave Mackay. Think the tiredness and emotion (!) reached it's peak when he met the great man on such a day. Always remember that story for some reason and hope the Spurs tie is a fitting tribute to such a legend.

Sydney from Sydney

Hope both clubs invite Dave along to be honored and remembered.

A legend with both of them.

And that picture of Dave and Billy Bremner, Sheer class from the big man.

Sadly not very well and unlikely to attend. Age catches up with us all.

Independence

Sadly not very well and unlikely to attend. Age catches up with us all.

This is very sad news and all Hearts fans would wish their best wishes sent to him.

I remember listening to 5live in 1999 and Dave Mackay was featured on a 'living legends' programme. He was being interviewed and, of course ,it started of with his Hearts career. It then , naturally, moved to his time at Spurs. However, he kept referring back to the Hearts and the interviewer was not best pleased. At the end of the programme Dave Mackay described the tie he was wearing to the listeners.....his Hearts centenary tie that, as he said, he was wearing with pride. He is Hearts 'through and through' and IS forever a Hearts legend.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Spurs stole our Dave Mackay. All the more reason for putting one over them.

Sadly not true. We virtually sent him away, which is even worse.

There is a nice documentary on Dave Mackay here. Jimmy Armfield doing the questions.

I'm going to be in touch with local North London ticket touts and will report back on the ticket exchange later this week.

Deodato

Gregory House M.D.

0,,10289~3039427,00.jpg

Even oor Dave's Suave as ****!

Deodato, Was Edwin White by anychance a goalkeeper who took a thumping from Hearts playing for Falkirk? Think my old coach is a relative. From Tranent?

Gregory House M.D.

0,,10289~3039427,00.jpg

Even oor Dave's Suave as ****!

Deodato, Was Edwin White by anychance a goalkeeper who took a thumping from Hearts playing for Falkirk? Think my old coach is a relative. From Tranent?

The goalkeeper and Tranent bit may be wrong. 90% sure my old coach is related as the whole family are massive Hearts and Spurs fans and my grandad still has a newspaper clipping from a game their relative played in where they were gubbed by Hearts.

I remember him doing the slosh at a fed day out at the Craigmiller Hearts. Only man on the floor. :thumbsup:

I appreciate the sentiment and all but no thanks.

Unlikely as it is I hope we at least get a result at home. I want Tynecastle to be as difficult for Tottenham to play in as possible. Not to have a nice wee sing song with the away support. Lets not write ourselves off yet we should all be wanting a result!

Nookie Bear

Another Scot who taxi drivers and Spurs fans always talk about is John White. Apparently he was rated above Dave Mackay and players like Greaves but tragically lost his life at a very young age. Here's his Wikipedia biography

John Anderson White (28 April 1937 ? 21 July 1964) was a Scottish international football midfielder and sometime inside right who played a significant role for Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) during their Double winning season in 1960-61. He had two brothers, Edwin and Tom, who were also professional footballers. White was killed by lightning at the age of 27.

Again, any memories of John White would be appreciated.

Pretty certain a book about John White, written by his son who was a baby when John died, has been released very recently.

Archived