Why did Alex Salmond meet News International so often?

jambos are go!

Im certain Sheridan was Murdochs number one target in Scotland. Do you agree?

If Sheridan was reading this he'd be rubbing one out...do you really think Sheridan is that important?

jambos are go!

Possibly, but are you inferring some conection between Salmond and Murdoch in regard to that? :ninja:

No. I'm just inviting comment on what Murdoch might have wanted in Scotland given it seems clear that he courted UK Politicians to try and secure BSkyB. I highlighted their war with Sheridan and invited other thoughts.

Patrick Bateman

Mods: Can we have a Jambos Are Go implies political conspiracy/Labour propaganda super thread please? Saves him from clogging up the board with this clandestine rubbish. Thanks. :thumbsup:

jambos are go!

If Sheridan was reading this he'd be rubbing one out...do you really think Sheridan is that important?

No I dont. I think relations between Politicians and Media moguls are. Also Business moguls and I note the Sunday Herald is running an article today about Brian Soutars Knighthood being swiftlly followed by a huge donation to the SNP.

? Over 4 years SNP Cabinet Ministers met News Corp 36 times out of 262 media meetings: 13.7%

? Over 1 year Labour?s UK Shadow Cabinet met News Corp 80 times out of 319 media meetings 25.1%

? Over 1 year the Con/Lib UK Cabinet met News Corp 124 times out of 414 media meetings 30%

? In four years the SNP Cabinet met with News Corp less than half the times that the UK Labour Shadow Cabinet did in one year.

? In four years the SNP Cabinet met with News Corp a quarter of the times that the UK Con/ Lib Cabinet did in one year.

Whilst that's a fair assessment. The fact is the Murdoch agenda can't be furthered by the Scottish government as they don't have the powers to let them become a monopoly in the British or Scottish press. Those are rules concerning competition and lie at Westminster.

Salmond however has history with big backers and policy changes. The most notable is the Stagecoach and his policy on bus ownership and route regulation. In 2007 and 2011 they pledged to tighten the rules governing bus service ownership and trying to push it away from faceless companies and move it towards the councils, or locally run small companies on behalf of the council. But nothing has been down and I believe in 2011 it wasn't a full commitment.

The thing about Salmond is he is as much a bearaucratic, unrepresentative leader as any of the other parties both in Scotland and the UK. I really don't get his man of the people nonsense. His policies are more New Labour/Cameronian Tory/Third Way nonsense than his parties whole 'we are a party of the people', 'social democrat' rants they claim to be.

Archived