The Law's a Joke

Rawrrrrrrr

The drunk driver gets a year ban and ?375 fine

The car owner who made a silly decision and wasnt in it or drunk gets a years ban and ?700 fine

Anyone else see the fiasco here?

Im not saying the boy shouldnt have been charged or punished, but a years ban and a higher fine than the actual culprit is an absolute joke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7329360.stm

Chip Douglas

The car owner who made a silly decision and wasnt in it or drunk gets a years ban and ?700 fine

Im not saying the boy shouldnt have been charged or punished, but a years ban and a higher fine than the actual culprit is an absolute joke

The law's not a joke. Go and look at Scottish court websites and see rough justice getting handed out fairly to 95%* of deserving suspects.

*For the pedants on here, that's a figure of speech, not science.

Not trying to justify or excuse it in any way, but isn't it possible that some of the ?700 night be for allowing the other chap to drive his car without insurance?

It does state that the penalties for the two drink-related crimes are identical, so that might be ?375 and the lack of insurance ?325.

Possibly.

Doctor FinnBarr

*****in farcical!:sterb003:

fi?as?co Audio Help /fiˈ?skoʊ or, esp. for 2, -ˈɑskoʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fee-as-koh or, esp. for 2, -ah-skoh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

?noun, plural -cos, -coes. 1. a complete and ignominious failure.

2. a round-bottomed glass flask for wine, esp. Chianti, fitted with a woven, protective raffia basket that also enables the bottle to stand upright.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1850?55; < It: lit., bottle < Gmc (see flask1); sense ?failure? from It phrase far fiasco to fail, lit., to make a bottle, idiom of uncert. orig.]

?Synonyms 1. disaster, catastrophe, debacle, flop, bomb.

Fiasco? No, not at all.

The guy was stupid, let someone else take his car when he knew they were drunk, and now he is paying the consequence.

I read about this in this mornings Metro.

What's worse? A drunk getting into a car and driving away or a sober person giving a drunk the keys to their car and letting them drive away?

Arguably the drunk person isn't of sound judgement however the sober person is! Far worse in my book.

What's worse? A drunk getting into a car and driving away or a sober person giving a drunk the keys to their car and letting them drive away?

Arguably the drunk person isn't of sound judgement however the sober person is! Far worse in my book.

I agree, the guy who gave the drunk boy his car should have known better. Furthermore, the higher fine is due to the lack of insurance, should never let someone drive without insurance....but especially not a drunk person!

The Mighty Thor

Read it too.

A pair of half-wits if you ask me.

Fines and bans not big enough.

fully deserved imo prancer. i'd expect a mate to take my car keys off me if i was going to drive pished, not give me theirs so i could drive their car!

Seems fair enough to me, if he'd never handed over the keys in the first place there would never have been a crash. Just lucky nobody else was involved.

John Findlay

Justice is indeed a funny thing.

When I was Leading hand of the messdeck onboard Hms Andromeda in 1989 a very serious incident occured in my absence that nearly ended in my de-motion back to a humble radio operator 1st class.

I had been duty comms leading hand on the Friday night. With duty over Saturday morning at 8am I was under the rules allowed to go home.

Later that Saturday afternoon there was a difference of opinion between two guys onboard who just happened to be in the same messdeck as myself. This difference of opinion was so severe that one of them ended up fracuturing the skull of the other by hitting them over the head with a Samson bar. This is cylindrical tube of metal of about 18-24ins in length used to really close the clips tightly on waterproof and gastight doors.

Of course I knew nothing of the incident until getting back onboard the Monday morning. Where I was interviewed by the Master At Arms and informed that they were considering charging me for not maintaining order and discipline down the messdeck. Naturally I thought this was unfair and was straight to my divisional officer explaining the circumstances. In the end to me sense prevailed and no charges were brought against me.

This incident was one of the reasons for my not signing up again after my nine years man's time was up. I should say the aftermath of the incident.

When it came to the guilty person's court martial. No witnesses were called for the prosecution but only one(my Yeoman, Petty Officer, immediate boss) for the defence. The person was sentenced to 60 days over the wall(Naval parlance for 60 days in military prison) and allowed to remain in the Navy(yes even then there were recruitment and maintaining people in the service). I personally thought this was a disgrace as I wanted them to get at least 6 months prison and dismissed from the service. Even then I think I was being soft.

Yes justice can appear to work in a mysterious way.

John

Archived