Bayern Munich

janie jones

janie jones

Although ultimately we have lost out over two legs we have beaten some very good sides at Tynie in my time as a Jambo - Athletico Madrid, Bologna, Slavia Prague and Stuggart to name a few.

However arguably our greatest victory and performance was against Bayern in 1989. IIRC they had some very good players, went on to be German Champions that season and had previously put three goals past Inter in the San Siro in the previous round. However that night with Tynie packed to the rafters and the Shed in full voice they were lucky to get away with a one nil defeat and we were a John Coloqhoun pubic hair from putting them out over there.

I know its unlikely we will come anywhere near beating Spurs but those games proved its not impossible that we could run them close. Attitude and application can go along way in football and we shouldn't underestimate the effect a raucous Tynie can have on even the best players.

NewYorkJambo

Although ultimately we have lost out over two legs we have beaten some very good sides at Tynie in my time as a Jambo - Athletico Madrid, Bologna, Slavia Prague and Stuggart to name a few.

However arguably our greatest victory and performance was against Bayern in 1989. IIRC they had some very good players, went on to be German Champions that season and had previously put three goals past Inter in the San Siro in the previous round. However that night with Tynie packed to the rafters and the Shed in full voice they were lucky to get away with a one nil defeat and we were a John Coloqhoun pubic hair from putting them out over there.

I know its unlikely we will come anywhere near beating Spurs but those games proved its not impossible that we could run them close. Attitude and application can go along way in football and we shouldn't underestimate the effect a raucous Tynie can have on even the best players.

I'd love nothing more.

I honestly would be stunned - because I think the gulf in class is huge - but you're right, it's not impossible.

lost in leith

Top post, although the spelling polis may be on to you in a mo :unsure:

I still remember the sound of the ball ripping into the net and standing aloft a crush barrier in the celebrations !

We were awesome in both legs against bayern, two of my favorite goals of all time in that tie, Ferguson and Augentaller (not sure of the spelling).

We were awesome in both legs against bayern, two of my favorite goals of all time in that tie, Ferguson and Augentaller (not sure of the spelling).

Brilliant reminder. Had to have a wee chuckle at David Begg commentating on the St Pats game 2nd leg at Tynie - "well thats it, the famine is over..."

:lol:

Archived