Study on UK/US Attitudes

Rab

http://www.economist.com/daily/news/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10927596

Summary here:

http://www.economist.com/displayImage.cfm?imageURL=http://media.economist.com/images/20080329/CBR077.gif

It's interesting reading. I was surprised by a couple of things:

- Britons are split almost 50/50 on the existence of God.

- More Britons prefer a smaller government than a bigger one.

- Most Americans believe global warming is caused by humans.

- Americans (from an immigrant nation) don't believe immigration has helped the domestic economy grow!

- Most Americans think that military action against Iran is appropriate if they are thoughtto be developing nuclear weapons.

Interestingly most people agree that humans are responsible for global warming but are unwilling to pay for any way to stop it :confused:

Rick Grimes

for all the bad things about the UK it does seem to be vastly socially advanced, and, dare i say, Enlightened, in comparison to the rest of the world. (outside of the mega-cities at the very least).

i'd be interested to see the results of some of our European neighbours.

for all the bad things about the UK it does seem to be vastly socially advanced, and, dare i say, Enlightened, in comparison to the rest of the world. (outside of the mega-cities at the very least).

i'd be interested to see the results of some of our European neighbours.

A lot of us are quite socially advanced too. :ninja:

American attitudes to globalisation and free trade are also interesting. I was surprised at those.

I was going to point that out, but I thought I'd end up in an argument with the lefties as to whether free trade was a left or right wing ideal :)

I was going to point that out, but I thought I'd end up in an argument with the lefties as to whether free trade was a left or right wing ideal :)

I always veiwed it as right wing i.e. Adam Smith laissez faire in extreme, however I think the US attitude that is showing is probably not against free trade within the US, but rather would advocate protectionist policies either globally (scared of China and their economy and therefore the US looses its primacy in the world economy) or more locally, NAFTA & South America?

I always veiwed it as right wing i.e. Adam Smith laissez faire in extreme, however I think the US attitude that is showing is probably not against free trade within the US, but rather would advocate protectionist policies either globally (scared of China and their economy and therefore the US looses its primacy in the world economy) or more locally, NAFTA & South America?

Totally agree. NAFTA in particular is a sore point over here, Clinton is getting hammered for being part of approving it. It also causes 'issues' with their immigration policies :rolleyes:

IMO free trade transcends right or left wing arguements.

The right might see it as good for business where the left may view it as a world with no borders.

I think what the results did show is that the US is still an insular country.

It may be happy to sell its goods to the rest of the world but isn't too keen on competition on its own doorstep.

A good example would be its motor industry. In an open market that industry has been hammered by the Japenese.

Just like in the UK their manufacturing industries cannot compete with the wages paid in countries like China.

Boaby Ewing

Not that surprised to be honest, the religion part we all knew about, and the way we feel about globalisation comes from Britain's history as an island/ex-colonial power.

IMO free trade transcends right or left wing arguements.

The right might see it as good for business where the left may view it as a world with no borders.

I think what the results did show is that the US is still an insular country.

It may be happy to sell its goods to the rest of the world but isn't too keen on competition on its own doorstep.

A good example would be its motor industry. In an open market that industry has been hammered by the Japenese.

Just like in the UK their manufacturing industries cannot compete with the wages paid in countries like China.

I was with you till the last sentence. The collapse of the US auto industry had little if anything to do with lower wages in foreign countries. It was almost entirely due to the fact that their cars were over-priced, under-featured piles of ****e. The Europeans gave them it easy by pricing their cars at the luxury end, but once the Japanese came along with well built, cheap to buy/cheap to maintain cars that lasted forevvvvvvvvver, they were screwed.

I was with you till the last sentence. The collapse of the US auto industry had little if anything to do with lower wages in foreign countries. It was almost entirely due to the fact that their cars were over-priced, under-featured piles of ****e. The Europeans gave them it easy by pricing their cars at the luxury end, but once the Japanese came along with well built, cheap to buy/cheap to maintain cars that lasted forevvvvvvvvver, they were screwed.

I may have worded my post wrong. The last line was about manufacturing in general and not to do with the motor industry.

Other than that you put into words exactly what I was thinking.

I thought Free trade was a Liberal idea and ought to impress Americans. However they put themselves first at all times in my view and protect their goods when they feel it called for. I suppose we all do the same.

Some objected to the UK becoming involved in the Great War because it destroyed Free Trade! Germany remember was our biggest trading partner!

It never recovered after 1919.

I thought Free trade was a Liberal idea and ought to impress Americans. However they put themselves first at all times in my view and protect their goods when they feel it called for. I suppose we all do the same.

Some objected to the UK becoming involved in the Great War because it destroyed Free Trade! Germany remember was our biggest trading partner!

It never recovered after 1919.

I'm not sure why you would link America with liberal ideas, a country which just 40 years ago still practiced segregation.

The only thing they are liberal about is their gun laws!

And hows this for a contridiction, in some states you can't buy a lighter without a safety catch but you can a machine gun!

Archived