Defence for Sunday?

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Special Agent Dale Cooper

It looks like there is a high probability we will be without Zal and Webster this weekend. Eek! Thoughts on the makeshift backline? I'd go for the following, although it clearly lacks leadership methinks:

Hamill ----McGowan----Jonsson----Grainger

This doesn't fill me with optimism but can't think of any better options, unless we bring back Barr?

mahgrassyshoes

I don't think you'll get much better than that. Mrowiec is sound at the back as long as he has a Webster or Zal next to him who will talk him through the game. At the back with the back with an Eggert or Bouzid and he struggles, he's undecisive. McGowan and Eggert at the back will do alright, they'll go about their business with minimal fuss. The other big problem is without Zal or Webster is there is no-one who will bring it out of defence. Zal has done really well the last couple of games bringing the ball out and putting it between the full back and centre half and getting Grainger in behind. I'm not confident in Eggert of McGowans ability to do that.

The Establishment

I think Paulo will go with what we saw 2nd half yesterday.

McGowan----Mrowiec---Jonsson----Grainger

I would probably agree with you though with Ryan moving in and going with Hamill. Any updates on Smokies' condition?

Fort Vallance

I think Paulo will go with what we saw 2nd half yesterday.

McGowan----Mrowiec---Jonsson----Grainger

I would probably agree with you though with Ryan moving in and going with Hamill. Any updates on Smokies' condition?

I'd go for this too. Partly because I wouldn't want to start messing McGowan around now he looks settled at Right Back. As for Webster I don't think his actual condition is relevant, he'll come back when he feels like it.

Tynecastle Valhalla

It looks like there is a high probability we will be without Zal and Webster this weekend. Eek! Thoughts on the makeshift backline? I'd go for the following, although it clearly lacks leadership methinks:

This doesn't fill me with optimism but can't think of any better options, unless we bring back Barr?

i would start with that, but other option would be to put adrian in instead of jonsson.

That would be my instinct too. As someone else said, I think Mrowiec does OK in a patchwork kind of way - ie, during a game getting moved there, but to play there from the start of for an extended number of games, he'd need Webster or Zal next to him, dictating his every move.

This is where we might have done with signing a Fraser Wright type player - someone good in the changing room and training ground and who can step in with no fuss when needed.

An extended peroid without Webster and Zal would be a big problem for us as it stands.

Mind you, we're only playing Motherwell, so Webster may see it as a game he's willing to take some part in.

Archived