Dougie McDonald 2006 Cup Final

washniklaw

I've had a day off today so I spent the afternoon watching the 2006 cup final. I've never watched it through because I was at the game and rather enjoyed the after match party.

Let me start by saying, I can't believe how many chances we had in the final. I counted around 10 clear chances, our finishing or final ball was horrible.

Now onto my main point, I thought McDonald was very average and obviously the decision not to award Skacel a clear penalty was a shocker.

What really got my blood boiling though was when he sent of Hartley. I'm no lip reader but when he lifts up the red card McDonald leans towards Hartley and appears to whispers in his ear 'thats for the backchat'. He even looks like he's trying to hide behind Hartley when saying it.

Has anyone noticed this before? Can anyone thats got the footage to hand confirm this for me? If I'm right I think it's a truely unproffesional way for a referee to act. It looks as if he was looking for any reason to sent Hartley off, the fact that he took absolutely no action against the Grenta player would suggest this.

I have no complaints over the card but to say that as the player is leaving the pitch is a disgrace! Can anyone confirm this is what is said, it certainly looks that way to me?

It was definately something along those lines mate.

His face was full of glee as well. "I've denied you taking a penalty - nanananana".

Absolute joke of a referee.

Member of the Penicuik hibs SC before refereeing.

Only in Scotland.

Filth!

Still have nightmares about that penalty shoot out. Can you imagine if gretna had won?:ninja:

On the SFA referee's profile page, Mr Cheating-Bassa has this wee gem...

Favourite film? Seven - seriously this time!

Never seen the film so I don't know if it's likely to feature amongst many people's favourite, but that sounds awfully like it could be a GIRUY to Jambos (or am I taking it tooooo far?)

Ibrahim Tall
On the SFA referee's profile page, Mr Cheating-Bassa has this wee gem...

Favourite film? Seven - seriously this time!

Never seen the film so I don't know if it's likely to feature amongst many people's favourite, but that sounds awfully like it could be a GIRUY to Jambos (or am I taking it tooooo far?)

Se7ens a quality film, your suspicion is probably correct though.

Dirk Diggler

Once got a warning on the old board for saying what I wished upon him.

I'll leave it there.

Cappuccino Kid

He appeared on 107 just after turning down 4 pens in a game at Tynie think it was against Killie. Someone phoned and asked him about the Hartley sending odd and lack off action aginst Gretna player - his answer was that the Gretna player haad done nothing and Hartley was the only one to kick out.

This despite saying he had watched the game afterwards so had the benefit of tv replays. Just convinced me he was a liar as well as a cheat.

Tommy Brown

This is the man who let four Hibs players (yes 4) miss the second half kick off in the last league cup final. Then all players entered the pitch whilst the ball was in play (yellow dcard offence). Unbelievable incompetence.

I could write a whole book on this tw*t.

Its been a long time baby

I was the same when I saw the highlights, the chances we had to bury them! Didnt really see it at the game though even though i was in roll 10 behind the goal, could hardly see a thing! Was moaning at halftime when someone said to me we also hit the post, I was like when did we do that??

Do you know where hell is

To allow a ref who has admitted that he was a hibs season ticket holder ref a hearts game and assume that he will be impartial is madness.

I dont care if he is as honest as the day is long his subconscious will not allow him to ref in a fair manner. I can honestly say if i was a ref i would be unable to do a hearts game as i know that i would be biased.

The fact that this clown is a hibby coupled with his record against hearts its fair to say that there is an element of bias when he officaites hearts games. The ruddi incident in the final was another example of this fruit cakes bias. His reason for denying the penalty was becasuse main never made contact with ruddi, it was ruddi who made contact with main!!!!

He he though that he should have sent of ruddi as he is as good as saying ruddi looked for it. He was also voted worst ref by jambos in the evening news poll and best by hibbys!

My mate knows him through his wifes side of the family.

My mate met him at a stag do and said he is a complete and utter prima-dona. Really think`s he`s a big shot because he is an SPL ref.

If he wasn`t in the conversation he always sought attention apparently. Wa*k.

marshallschunkychicken
To allow a ref who has admitted that he was a hibs season ticket holder ref a hearts game and assume that he will be impartial is madness.

I dont care if he is as honest as the day is long his subconscious will not allow him to ref in a fair manner. I can honestly say if i was a ref i would be unable to do a hearts game as i know that i would be biased.

The fact that this clown is a hibby coupled with his record against hearts its fair to say that there is an element of bias when he officaites hearts games. The ruddi incident in the final was another example of this fruit cakes bias. His reason for denying the penalty was becasuse main never made contact with ruddi, it was ruddi who made contact with main!!!!

He he though that he should have sent of ruddi as he is as good as saying ruddi looked for it. He was also voted worst ref by jambos in the evening news poll and best by hibbys!

I AM paranoid, but I still think he was chosen for the final in an attempt to reduce our chances of success that day.

So I really hope he felt sick as a dog being present at the presentation of the cup his favoured side have no living memory of.

Rules are rules I suppose but one would hope that a ref would not really wish to send a player off in the Scottish showcase final .............especially in the dying minutes. Considering as well that the opposing player had given him a whack first ( no mention of a card or even a word there as I recall ) then maybe a simple "calm down" would have been more fitting

He's just a absolute ^^^^ when he puts that Ref's outfit on ..............he may even be one when he's in civvies too but I cant say for sure :P

I've watched the video of the final and it completely changed my memory of the game. At the time, there was so much tension that I felt that we were awful. Probably expected us to win by a barrow load. When I watched the video, I thought that we were pretty good and played some good stuff - but just never killed them off when we were on top. D.McG was dreadful - but that was expected and no real surprise when he denied us a stonewall penalty and gave one to them. You can expect nothing else when you appoint a non-neutral referee and I personally think that was a 'screw you Romanov' gesture by the SFA.

Dont think theres any good refs the now in Scotland but i never liked him,but i never knew he was a Hibs fan

Seymour M Hersh
Rules are rules I suppose but one would hope that a ref would not really wish to send a player off in the Scottish showcase final .............especially in the dying minutes. Considering as well that the opposing player had given him a whack first ( no mention of a card or even a word there as I recall ) then maybe a simple "calm down" would have been more fitting

He's just a absolute ^^^^ when he puts that Ref's outfit on ..............he may even be one when he's in civvies too but I cant say for sure :P

A leopard doesn't change it's spots does it?:107years:

Our players were incredibly professional and brave in that shootout. Fantastic penalties from Pressley, Neilson, Skacel and Pospisil. And great to see Townsley miss!

Cardiac Rucksack
Cheating, evil, hobo barsteward. They should bring back hanging for him alone.

I concur.:107years:

Our players were incredibly professional and brave in that shootout. Fantastic penalties from Pressley, Neilson, Skacel and Pospisil. And great to see Townsley miss!

One thing that seems to have bypassed everybody in the pre-penalty frenzy was that McDonald did not toss up to decide which end the penalties should be taken at.

He made a unilateral decision to choose the Gretna end. I don't know if it's shown on the TV coverage, but I remember Craig Gordon going ballistic with McDonald in the centre circle pointing this out!

Good shout !!

That would be the end where the sun is in the keeper's eyes, however evil Hobo cheat must've forgotten Craig had already saved a penalty at that end.

Sellik v Sheep was up at the other end IIRC.

Huns v Arabs down that end, though no sun.

Still have nightmares about that penalty shoot out. Can you imagine if gretna had won?:ninja:

Correct - was a total nightmare!

One thing that seems to have bypassed everybody in the pre-penalty frenzy was that McDonald did not toss up to decide which end the penalties should be taken at.

He made a unilateral decision to choose the Gretna end. I don't know if it's shown on the TV coverage, but I remember Craig Gordon going ballistic with McDonald in the centre circle pointing this out!

I heard Chic Young on the radio during the recent League Cup Final saying that the end for the penalties was chosen in advance for that game - on police advice or something? Maybe something similar for our game. Though ridiculous if true for either game of course.

I was happy anyway because I was closer to the end where they took the penalties!

it was the only time i had confidence all game, you knew with C G in goal he was going to save at least one. i was more nervous a couple of weeks later when my boys team blew a 2 goal lead in a final and went to pens too, we had no Gordon in goal (he was more like some of our leith dwelling neighbours woefull keepers) thankfully he stood still and one of the oppositions pens struck him and we won that game too.

Buffalo Bill

Hartley shouldn't have kicked out.

By his own high standards, he was having a bit of a 'mare that day. Frustration, I think.

But the ref is still a Hibs tosser. And I bet he was gutted when we won it.

Buffalo Bill

Hartley shouldn't have kicked out.

By his own high standards, he was having a bit of a 'mare that day. Frustration, I think.

But the ref is still a Hibs tosser. And I bet he was gutted when we won it.

Buffalo Bill

The full of Scotland was gutted when we won it

Correct - was a total nightmare!

Would love a couple more of those 'nightmares'. Especially when it includes the second best moment of my life.

Buffalo Bill
The full of Scotland was gutted when we won it

I hope they were spewing.

I had a great time...after we'd won it.

Buffalo Bill

Its even a joke that we can call McDonald a referee because he is honking. I have watched the Cup Final against Gretna many a time and his performance just gets worse sadly however Don McVicar will always say he had an excellent match!!!

how many games have we actually won with this cretin in the middle?

1 I think but at best 2!!!

I think that says it all really. If this was any other country he would be investigated but not in the SPhell!!!

every time there is a mcdonald thread i make the same point

i am mates with a guy that went to school with him. died in the wool hibee mcdonald is and dreams of awarding a pen against hearts in a derby. no chance is he impartial when it comes to hearts. no chance

the sfa / spl will no doubt grant him that chance one time

to the above poster - we have won only something like 7 out of 28 games with him as ref.

kennygarland1

Talk about being paranoid,i remember a certain Douglas Cromb a died in the wool Hearts fan refereeing a final day decider up at Dens,now imagine the paranoia back then by the Celtic fans eh.

Talk about being paranoid,i remember a certain Douglas Cromb a died in the wool Hearts fan refereeing a final day decider up at Dens,now imagine the paranoia back then by the Celtic fans eh.

From the 1986 thread-------I`ve said it on other threads on this subject, but giving Bill Crombie the game to ref was out of order too.

A Hearts supporting ref given a Hearts title decider? You`d think it`d be an opportunity to hand Hearts the title but Bill was put under the microscope from the vermin through in the West.

He knew any decisions made too easily in our favour would bring re-purcussions in the papers.

If it was Dallas he wouldn`t give a feck if it was Rangers because they are so brassed necked throught there, but through here we are too consciencious for our own good.

Bill went into the Hearts changing room and said no penalties would be given and all the dressing room just looked at eachother in silence.(from Neil Berry)

Remember Big Sandy going down?

Put it this way, if i was ref Hertz would have won the league but i`m not having a go at BC. I know his sons and went to school with one and they are good Jambos.

Archived