Eggert Jonsson

Groot

Just to say I thought Eggert was outstanding tonight, the number of times he put in a last minute block out of nowhere or found himself in the right place at the right time to get a toe in.

I've always thought it but it's now becoming clear that centre half is by far his best position and given a spell in there he could turn into a very valuable player for us

Had a great game today and with Webster eternally crocked, Eggy will hopefully get a run in the team at CB to properly learn the position.

Just to say I thought Eggert was outstanding tonight, the number of times he put in a last minute block out of nowhere or found himself in the right place at the right time to get a toe in.

I've always thought it but it's now becoming clear that centre half is by far his best position and given a spell in there he could turn into a very valuable player for us

Totally agree with you he was my man of the match, I thought it was the best I have seen him play for a while, also looks stronger this season...

Tommy Wiseau

He was easy beat on too many occasions tonight for me, although he played well otherwise. One brilliant tackle in particular in that second half.

Would like to see him given a run at CB to see how he copes with a higher quality of opposition.

Libertonian_II

It's probably his best position. He came onto a game when Zaliukas went off. Still can't pass water though. More reliable option than sicknote Webster

Got to agree, he had a lot of good tackles and blocks tonight. I'd give him a chance at CB.

Thought Eggert looked assured and confident there tonight, not the bomb scare that Zal delivers. Great performance, with potential.

My MoM, thought he was assured and compared to the other 2 CB's, he's very reliable. OK his passing is iffy but he defends well.

jambo_til_i_die

Are we quite tight for Centre Halfs just now? If he were to get injured, along with Webster, I can't think of anyone off-hand who will cover. Zal IMO is a liability might I add.

Randle P McMurphy

His best position. His only real weakness is his distribution.

agreed, it is a significant weakness though. initial impressions of paulo's philosophy is to always play it out from the back. eggy doesn't seem capable of playing a simple pass, he always tries an aerial pass where there is only a 50/50 chance of retaining possession. he will need to work on this or lose his place once the regular central defenders are fit again.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Needs to work on his reading of the game and positioning. Gets caught out by balls over the top. I'm sure he'll improve though.

He plays centre-back for Iceland and has done for all his international career. He looks more comfortable positional-wise than when at right-back.

Johanes de Silentio

I agree - Eggert is in great form - as a centre-half, he reminds me of Chris Berra a bit - it's the blocking - he doesn't give up until it's over the line.

Would still rather see McGowan at CB every time I watched him play with the under 19's he looked a class act

he did pretty well but come on, this team were division one standard at best. Lets have a little perspective :muggy:

Thought he was excellent tonight. I actually think he can pass and I reckon this new play from the back malarkey, if that indeed is Sergio's plan, may just bring him on to be the player people hoped he'd be.

Johanes de Silentio

Thought he was excellent tonight. I actually think he can pass and I reckon this new play from the back malarkey, if that indeed is Sergio's plan, may just bring him on to be the player people hoped he'd be.

This thing about defenders and poor distribution, whether it be Robbie, Eggert, McGowan, or whoever...

1 - they need their team-mates to give them options, and/or...

2 - they need a Fulton type player to come and take the ball from them.

Fozzyonthefence

Are we quite tight for Centre Halfs just now? If he were to get injured, along with Webster, I can't think of anyone off-hand who will cover. Zal IMO is a liability might I add.

We actually have a Scotland internationalist centre half who can also play right back but isn't getting a sniff at the moment - surely can't be as bad as he was last season?

We actually have a Scotland internationalist centre half who can also play right back but isn't getting a sniff at the moment - surely can't be as bad as he was last season?

had a horrific pre-season mate and a howler on tuesday in a bounce game

JamboAberdeen

Solid display from young man today.

Bit lost in the first half when Zali was pretty much non-existent due to injury, but recovered well in the second half.

A couple good tackles and distribution was OK, did simple task simply.

Still has to work with organisational skill/positioning though, I'd like to see extended run along with Zali/Webby to learn from.

He always seems to be last ditch as his positional sense isn't great.

Given away a fair few penalties in the past because of this, and his rashness.

That said, he deserves a run there at the moment as he has been decent enough

the last few games.

Fort Vallance

It's probably his best position. He came onto a game when Zaliukas went off. Still can't pass water though. More reliable option than sicknote Webster

As it says.

The People's Chimp

He was easy beat on too many occasions tonight for me, although he played well otherwise. One brilliant tackle in particular in that second half.

Would like to see him given a run at CB to see how he copes with a higher quality of opposition.

I think eggert is decent on the ball, so it's never a bad thing to have someone at CB who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

**WARNING** **WARNING** **WARNING** TOLD YOU SO POST ALERT **WARNING** **WARNING** **WARNING**

Been saying for a couple of seasons that Eggy should be nurtured into a centre half. Has all he needs to play there and maybe not enough to play elsewhere. He'd be a poor man's Phil Jagielka type CH. Needs a run at it but with WhiteFlag Andy around, he shouldn't be short of gametime!

While on the subject, Webster and Zal being out at the same time!!?!?!? Maybe OK for a game, but any extended period and we're in trouble. Who plays? Eggy and Adrian? Eggy and Gowzer? Eggy and (helpmaboab) Barr??? Eggy and me?

colinmaroon

This thing about defenders and poor distribution, whether it be Robbie, Eggert, McGowan, or whoever...

1 - they need their team-mates to give them options, and/or...

2 - they need a Fulton type player to come and take the ball from them.

There, sir, you have hit the nail right on the head!

In the 1st half at Ibrox, Eggert was passing the ball simply because players were looking for it. I've just watched that game again and I'm thinking to myself, who is the guy who's passing well? Can't be!!! Yes it - Eggert!!!

his last ditch lunge to save a goal in 2nd half was terrific.

Yeah. I had to double check that it definitely had been him, it was very very well timed.

As for his distribution, it can be a bit iffy but at least 3 times last night (I know, I'm just saying!) there were really nice game opening passes that came from him. Like really nice passes. Most un-Jonsson passes.

He looked very much the part. Nice work Eggy.

(Nice hair too. :) )

Made three great tackles but lost his man at the one on one that kello saved. Was caught ball watching. I think centre back is were he should play but don't think he is in the class of zaul or webby

Tynecastle Valhalla

i would rather have him there than zal however i have concerns over his ability to win headers, particularly against big strikers

he has done well so far this season.

was getting frustrated at his long passing up the park in both home games so far, but eventually he realised that the strikers want it into their feet, which allowed support to come through.

sutton was static though which didnt help

Yeah. I had to double check that it definitely had been him, it was very very well timed.

As for his distribution, it can be a bit iffy but at least 3 times last night (I know, I'm just saying!) there were really nice game opening passes that came from him. Like really nice passes. Most un-Jonsson passes.

He looked very much the part. Nice work Eggy.

(Nice hair too. :) )

Aw redm, I'm loving Eggy's hair at the mo. Very Great Gatsby. I'm hoping he does a prematch pressy soon and arrived wearing a boater hat and stripy blazer.

Aw redm, I'm loving Eggy's hair at the mo. Very Great Gatsby. I'm hoping he does a prematch pressy soon and arrived wearing a boater hat and stripy blazer.

He's one suave little devil. Always was a bit of a natty dresser so it wouldn't surprise me if he did pitch up some time in cravat and spats or something.

He's a very handsome young man is Eggy. thumbsup.gif

Archived