Craig Levein

david mcgee

david mcgee

I cant believe the number of little splaffs on here that slate Craig Levein.

They obviously never saw him pull on the famous Hearts jersey.

A classier player i have never seen in watching Hearts for 40 years, the way he battled back from serious injury only to be cruely cut down in his prime.

A quality guy who speaks well on all matters football and holds a deep love of Heart of Midlothian.

I dont pretend to know him, ive met him only once and spoke to him briefly, but i know which club he supports.

Some people need to get real on here and stop bad mouthing our history and our players who gave everything in our colours. (Levein, MacKay and Pressley to name a few)

kingantti1874

i agree with this one, didnt like the way he left but whatever - it was a good opportunity for him altrhough timing was abysmal... i have had th pleaseure of speaking to him and he is a gent and a proper jambo...

and his comments about jj leaving were ok as well, never slaughtered the club at all and just defended one of his collegues...

(but i dont agree with pressley - kissing celtic tops at tynie, regardless of the circumstances, make you fair game IMO)

Dunk-Section G

I agree.

But Romanov has changed Hearts as a club. We are now supporters with factions.

Tynecastle has become a pretty horrid place when we start to lose, instead of backing the side we shout abuse and tell players to "get tae feck".

If CL was our manager, given the game on thursday, vlad wouldn't have had to sack him.

A classier player i have never seen in watching Hearts for 40 years, the way he battled back from serious injury only to be cruely cut down in his prime.

A quality guy who speaks well on all matters football and holds a deep love of Heart of Midlothian.

I dont pretend to know him, ive met him only once and spoke to him briefly, but i know which club he supports.

Some people need to get real on here and stop bad mouthing our history and our players who gave everything in our colours. (Levein, MacKay and Pressley to name a few)

Great post, especially agree with the last paragraph, the abuse some people give these Hearts greats is sickening, particularly the amount that Pressley receives.

A good guy.

As Hearts manager, I thought he did a great job.

Not been impressed with him as Scotland boss though.

Dunk-Section G

Great post, especially agree with the last paragraph, the abuse some people give these Hearts greats is sickening, particularly the amount that Pressley receives.

I would tend to agree. Kickback is really starting to grate on me with some of the opinions and amount of pure head in the sand stuff over Romanov.

However, I still cant forgive Pressley for his nonsense. It sickens me that a guy who I worshipped and epitomised Hearts to me as a teenager behaved in the way he did that day.

Spot on,CL has continiously fought our corner in the media and refused to stick the boot in, I was very disappointed they way he left,but this guy is a Hearts great and should not be pillarised by any Hearts Supporter

it was keek that he left us in the lurch when he did, but I canne even begrudge him that, having to do a runner to get away from being a top shagger, i have respect for that.

Vlad-Stupid

it was keek that he left us in the lurch when he did, but I canne even begrudge him that, having to do a runner to get away from being a top shagger, i have respect for that.

:lol: :lol:

i watched him all through his best years, but i still think he's a ******.

so much for that genius theory then.

cheers.

cheers.

I agree.. total tool. One of pieman's bum boys.

I would tend to agree. Kickback is really starting to grate on me with some of the opinions and amount of pure head in the sand stuff over Romanov.

However, I still cant forgive Pressley for his nonsense. It sickens me that a guy who I worshipped and epitomised Hearts to me as a teenager behaved in the way he did that day.

As regards the Levein issue I agree that apart from one wee phase of having a go at the Hearts he deserves no stick. I met him a .few times and liked him.

As regards the head in the sand comment there are many intelligent and well informed fans who get labelled as this because they accept the current situation has many bad and some good things and continue to support the club. To them these inane and condescending comments about head in the sand grate. This forum should have a separate area for the unconditional Vlad haters to talk to each other about how the rest of us "are as bad as Vlad"

Aye, imagine leaving right before a big European game :)

Dunk-Section G

As regards the Levein issue I agree that apart from one wee phase of having a go at the Hearts he deserves no stick. I met him a .few times and liked him.

As regards the head in the sand comment there are many intelligent and well informed fans who get labelled as this because they accept the current situation has many bad and some good things and continue to support the club. To them these inane and condescending comments about head in the sand grate. This forum should have a separate area for the unconditional Vlad haters to talk to each other about how the rest of us "are as bad as Vlad"

Thing is I am not an unconditional Vlad-hater, I am not even a Vlad-hater. It was only this week that I found myself seriously questioning him and the way he operates.

The thing that annoys me is the way some posters behave on this board, it is so childish. However, I will continue to use the board as it is the best place for Hearts related news, gossip and rumour.

If he hadn't got that first bad injury he'd have been a great great player (but not with us, he'd probably have gone to someone like Man U or Liverpool). The sky was the limit for him before that.

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

cheers.

Can you quantify why you think he is 'a ******' please? I am interested!

Mr Brightside

One of pieman's bum boys.

Any chance of elaborating on that comment?

Levein was a top player and manager for Hearts, normally has good stuff to say about us too.

Chad Sexington

I've got no axe to grind with CL.

Cracking player (would have been at a huge club in England if he'd avoided those horrific injuries :( )

Decent manager for Hearts and seems to be growing into the Scotland job.

He's alright by me. :thumbsup:

Thing is I am not an unconditional Vlad-hater, I am not even a Vlad-hater. It was only this week that I found myself seriously questioning him and the way he operates.

The thing that annoys me is the way some posters behave on this board, it is so childish. However, I will continue to use the board as it is the best place for Hearts related news, gossip and rumour.

Fairy nuffthumbsup.gif

Can you quantify why you think he is 'a ******' please? I am interested!

certainly.

the over-riding reason he's a total ****** is because of the famous rant he had at hearts, our players and our then manager while he was with dundee united.

now i can take a certain amount of mumping and moaning from various characters in the game and in the media, but his ludicrously over-the-top diatribe on that occasion defied all belief. it was of such ferocity that it should never have come from someone with such an extensive connection to the club. if even a small part of it had been merited then i probably wouldn't have bothered all that much, but the whole thing was simply ridiculous.

as far as i'm concerned, he demonstrated quite clearly that his legandary status with this club is very much a one-way street. it's quite obvious that he doesn't care about the hearts support as much as many people would like to think, and would have you believe.

if andy walker, craig burley, chic young, charlie nicholas or the like had done the same then it would still have come as a surprise as to the sheer ferocity. the fact that it came from him was quite a shocking thing to me, and it ended any respect i could ever hold for him. he was a hearts legend to me but not any more.

david mcgee

certainly.

the over-riding reason he's a total ****** is because of the famous rant he had at hearts, our players and our then manager while he was with dundee united.

now i can take a certain amount of mumping and moaning from various characters in the game and in the media, but his ludicrously over-the-top diatribe on that occasion defied all belief. it was of such ferocity that it should never have come from someone with such an extensive connection to the club. if even a small part of it had been merited then i probably wouldn't have bothered all that much, but the whole thing was simply ridiculous.

as far as i'm concerned, he demonstrated quite clearly that his legandary status with this club is very much a one-way street. it's quite obvious that he doesn't care about the hearts support as much as many people would like to think, and would have you believe.

if andy walker, craig burley, chic young, charlie nicholas or the like had done the same then it would still have come as a surprise as to the sheer ferocity. the fact that it came from him was quite a shocking thing to me, and it ended any respect i could ever hold for him. he was a hearts legend to me but not any more.

Grow a pair.

The problem as I see it is, no one on this forum seems to be able to seperate the player from the manager or agent or commentator etc.

Levein - Club Captain, finest defender I ever saw play for us

MacKay - Club Captain, bleeds Maroon driving force behind one of the best Hearts sides I ever watched.

Pressley - Club Captain, lifted the Scottish Cup

I'd add into the list of berated legends on this site -

John Robertson - Just simply "the" Legend

Paul Hartley - The 4-0 at Hampden alone gives him Hero status.

All should be in the Heart of Midlothian hall of fame.

Outside their playing careers they have their own agenda's and while the "chest pump" was OTT as a player for this club Pressley could not have done more when he pulled on the jersey and very much the same for the rest. I actually believe if Stephane Adam, Colin Cameron, Thomas Flogel et al where ever to say a bad word about the club they'd also be targeted by the lunatics on this board.

Grow a pair.

great riposte.

nah i'm quite content with what i've said. i think he abused his status with the hearts support that day.

i'm completely tolerant of other peoples' views if they so choose to retain respect for him. that's up to them.

david mcgee

great riposte.

nah i'm quite content with what i've said. i think he abused his status with the hearts support that day.

i'm completely tolerant of other peoples' views if they so choose to retain respect for him. that's up to them.

Okay, im sorry for the comment, but read again what youve written and think about it.

He was paid and employed by Dundee utd and he was doing his job.

Not a problem whatsoever.

I noticed when he came onto the pitch at half time he was given a great reception from the Dundee utd fans as well as the Hearts fans, that is because when he was employed at Dundee utd he did and said all the right things.

Okay, im sorry for the comment, but read again what youve written and think about it.

He was paid and employed by Dundee utd and he was doing his job.

Not a problem whatsoever.

I noticed when he came onto the pitch at half time he was given a great reception from the Dundee utd fans as well as the Hearts fans, that is because when he was employed at Dundee utd he did and said all the right things.

sorry chief, doesn't cut the mustard. i've read that one about a thousand times and it's doesn't explain or excuse it.

his job description doesn't reach to what he did.

anyway, we'll just have to tolerate each other's stance.

Fort Vallance

No problem with your assesment of him as a player. Absolute class. I don't think he's done the club any favours since he left as manager.

Leaving to go to Leicester stating that he didn't want to work with Romanov when his leaving was purely for personal reasons was disrespectful. And it was subsequently proved he had been in contact with them for three weeks prior to leaving.

More interesting would be why very few of the 1986 team still keep in contact and I don't pretend to know that one.

You're right though, the vitriol on here is a bit over the top but lets not pretend he's snow white.

Gregory House M.D.

Always liked CL, although i never had the privilege to see him play. Went through a stage of thinking he was a walloper after his comments about Obua but outwith his diving allegations , He's always came across well.

Never liked Gary Mackay for some reason and his book actually quite annoyed me for some reason. Stopped reading it at The Agent chapter. Wouldn't slate him though as he is a Hearts legend.

Steven Pressley on the other hand, Is a vile creature who sought publicity in an ill-informed statement which dragged his colleagues, employers and boss through the mud. Joined Celtic, Kissed and fist-pumped the Celtic badge. Joined Falkirk, became an even more arrogant walloper, robbed us of a penalty and then went on a self centred bitter mission to disrespect Hearts at any given opportunity. Replace his name with Robbie Neilson and I'd quite agree.

david mcgee

Always liked CL, although i never had the privilege to see him play. Went through a stage of thinking he was a walloper after his comments about Obua but outwith his diving allegations , He's always came across well.

Never liked Gary Mackay for some reason and his book actually quite annoyed me for some reason. Stopped reading it at The Agent chapter. Wouldn't slate him though as he is a Hearts legend.

Steven Pressley on the other hand, Is a vile creature who sought publicity in an ill-informed statement which dragged his colleagues, employers and boss through the mud. Joined Celtic, Kissed and fist-pumped the Celtic badge. Joined Falkirk, became an even more arrogant walloper, robbed us of a penalty and then went on a self centred bitter mission to disrespect Hearts at any given opportunity. Replace his name with Robbie Neilson and I'd quite agree.

The Riccarton 3 were bang on to do what they did. The club was a shambles.

Gordon and Hartley dont get any pelters yet they sat either side of Pressley.

He spoke up for a sizeable chunk of the squad who thought working under the mad one was becoming impossible.

He spoke because he was Captain, if Hartley or Gordon had been captain he would probably have sat beside them whilst they read the statement.

Pressley would likely have finished his career as a Hearts player if it was not for our *hole owner, and none of the other things would ever have happened.

Gregory House M.D.

The Riccarton 3 were bang on to do what they did. The club was a shambles.

Gordon and Hartley dont get any pelters yet they sat either side of Pressley.

He spoke up for a sizeable chunk of the squad who thought working under the mad one was becoming impossible.

He spoke because he was Captain, if Hartley or Gordon had been captain he would probably have sat beside them whilst they read the statement.

Pressley would likely have finished his career as a Hearts player if it was not for our *hole owner, and none of the other things would ever have happened.

John Terry moment if you ask me. From what I remember Hartley and Gordon looked mortified.

david mcgee

John Terry moment if you ask me. From what I remember Hartley and Gordon looked mortified.

Are you telling me they hadnt seen or approved the statement before it was read?

Gregory House M.D.

Are you telling me they hadnt seen or approved the statement before it was read?

I'm commenting based purely on what I've seen. I'm not getting into a debate over the Riccarton 3, 5 years after it happened anyway. My opinion is that Pressley shouldn't have opened his big mouth knowing full well he'd be sacked, If he never wanted sacked. My opinion is, he never done anyone any favours by saying what he said and should've handed in a transfer request if he wasn't happy. My opinion is that SPH and CG didn't know where to look and appeared utterly mortified by some of Pressley's comments.

Even putting the Riccarton 3 to one side, Pressley has acted with Zero respect or dignity since.

I like CL before signing in I just watched the Hibs 0 Hearts 3 highlights from just after Mercers takeover bid. What a great goal he scored in that game. In his playing days he was the best headerer of the ball in the game :thumbsup:

More interesting would be why very few of the 1986 team still keep in contact and I don't pretend to know that one.

Didn't know that.

Gregory House M.D.

Didn't know that.

I was under the impression it was only Gary Mackay who never talked to Craig Levein as well!?

I think it is often forgotten just how good a player he was. Big and strong, great header of the ball, power in the tackle, recovery pace - the only thing which let him down from being absolutely top class was his passing.

It was horrible when his career was ruined by the injury, great to see him come back and play at the World Cup for Scotland.

I had little time for him as a manager and he has been poor for Scotland but what a player he was.

I think it is often forgotten just how good a player he was. Big and strong, great header of the ball, power in the tackle, recovery pace - the only thing which let him down from being absolutely top class was his passing.

It was horrible when his career was ruined by the injury, great to see him come back and play at the World Cup for Scotland.

I had little time for him as a manager and he has been poor for Scotland but what a player he was.

Best header of ball during his playing career. Notice how he always used to keep his arms at his sides. A sign of a decent professional.

Levein is a Hearts Legend.

Pressley can GTF in my opinion. Ridiculous behaviour whilst wearing the colours of Celtic. A "get it up you" to the fans who had backed him, blew it that day.

Is the poster down yet?

bottled dens! :down:

I like CL before signing in I just watched the Hibs 0 Hearts 3 highlights from just after Mercers takeover bid. What a great goal he scored in that game. In his playing days he was the best headerer of the ball in the game :thumbsup:

But only interested in himself, full stop.

That maybe the reason not many of the 86 team have time for him.

Guest Jamboinleith

Was that the 20 yard header into the dunbar end. :thumbsup:

david mcgee

But only interested in himself, full stop.

That maybe the reason not many of the 86 team have time for him.

I see the whole 86 team sitting in Mcdonalds every Tuesday night, the only one not there is Levein.

He must be one bad ass begger.

Bet he doesnt even send the rest of them a Christmas card.

Jesus wept.

What tosh you guys come out with, cant remember when i saw or spoke to any of the people i was at college with in 86, nice people too.

Buffalo Bill

Great player who makes my all-time Hearts XI. I always thought he was destined for Tottenham Hotspur after Hearts.

These days though, I don't care much for his chat. He seems a bit smug to me.

Archived