Why Would We Want Another Keeper ?

Sydney from Sydney

Sydney from Sydney

Celtic and Hearts want Reading FC keeper on loan

By Jonny Fordham

August 03, 2011

Alex McCarthy could be in line for a shock season-long loan to Celtic.

The Reading Post understands that Royals are prepared to let the England Under-21 goalkeeper move to Celtic Park on a temporary basis rather than remain as Adam Federici?s understudy for 12 months.

It is understood that McCarthy has held initial talks with Reading manager Brian McDermott and director of football Nick Hammond about the move to the Scottish Premier League.

Hearts were seen as another option for the 6ft 4ins keeper, but that may have changed on Monday after Jim Jeffries became the ninth manager sacked by chairman Vladimir Romanov since 2004.

Follow Royals reporter Jonny Fordham on Twitter here for all the news as it breaks

McCarthy has been tipped to challenge Manchester City?s Joe Hart one day for the England shirt.

The 21-year-old received rave reviews with Reading towards the end of last season when he deputised for Federici after the Aussie keeper was sidelined by a knee injury for six weeks.

PauloSergioBentoBrito

Possible bids in for Kello, Mcdonald wanting to move on, Ridgers is out on loan isn't he?

Nicholas Brody

Balogh and McDonald aren't that great. Getting them off the books and another decent back up to challenge Kello would be better imo.

Or its because Sergio is just another faceless VLAD puppet that's going to stop Kello from playing because he doesnt care about Hearts and only wants to upset the media and get all the attention on himself.

Who knows?

Sydney from Sydney

Or maybe this is another bullsh!t news report...

Could well be. I thought even if Balogh moves on, McDonald was highly thought of and also Ridgers was progressing well. If we do sign the English Guy I imagine Reading would expect him to play.

Could well be. I thought even if Balogh moves on, McDonald was highly thought of and also Ridgers was progressing well. If we do sign the English Guy I imagine Reading would expect him to play.

Balogh is a good shot stopper but he's poor with cross balls and his decision making has let him down in the past. MacDonald on the other hand has been fairly reliable and seemed to have an old head on young shoulders. I was surprised at how calm he looked in his first couple of games (both against the Huns as it happens). The one thing that lets Jamie down Is he conceeds too many goals that a half decent keeper would save IMO.

If you could combine Balogh and Macdonald you'd have a good player. I'd be happy to see them both moved on with a decent back up (such as Cerny of Hamilton) brought in to compete with Kello and Ridgers.

Dr. Bapswent

See the thread about a player asking his agent to get him a move - might be a keeper, hence - looking for another keeper.

Archived