The Director of Football role

Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

As we all now know Jim Jefferies was offered and subsequently refused the offer of Director of Football within the club. Given that we haven't had one previously and it only emerged during JJ's sacking are we still looking for one? Does the emergence of this role point to a wider structural change within the club or was it intended to be a ad hoc gesture. Coupled with the issue on timing that i raised on another thread yesterday it does raise issues of the thought process behind such decisions.

On a similar vein i was checking the clubs website to look at the sturcture before posting this and i noticed that Roman Romanov is still our interim chief executive. This appears to be quite a long period, will he get the permanent gig or are we actively looking for someone to fill this role. Just a further minor point to ponder on the overall structure within the club.

chester copperpot

What's Jim Duffy doing at the moment?

At Clyde is he not?

Still, might be able to tempt him back though!

Vlad-Stupid

He did pretty well IMO.

Must have missed all the excellent work he done in the 4 weeks he was in the job laugh.gif

Optimus Prime

Yep, Jim Duffy and Korobochka but the role hasn't been there for a while and you would assume that if it was back on the table for JJ then it is part of the new coaching structure. Or has Vlad thought it through to that level?

chester copperpot

Must have missed all the excellent work he done in the 4 weeks he was in the job laugh.gif

Yip, you must've.

Optimus Prime

I believe JJ was offered the role because sees him as an asset to the club

So the role disappears now that JJ has knocked it back? If we need a DoF two days ago surely we still need one today?

PauloSergioBentoBrito

I think JJ being offered the role was more of a nice gesture rather than actually trying to fill a role we really need.

Might be wrong, maybe we are looking for a director of football.

Someone like JJ would be perfect! Knowledge of the club, fans and things we stand for.

So the role disappears now that JJ has knocked it back? If we need a DoF two days ago surely we still need one today?

That kind of logic can lead one to say things like "Kevin Kyle is injured so we need to ask somebody else to play the Kevin Kyle role" which is kind of what got us here in the first place

That kind of logic can lead one to say things like "Kevin Kyle is injured so we need to ask somebody else to play the Kevin Kyle role" which is kind of what got us here in the first place

If Kevin Kyle was to be offered a job outwith his usual central striker role then this would make sense.

Two different animals TC.

If KK was to be asked to play centre half then turned it down we'd still be needing a centre half.

Optimus Prime

I think JJ being offered the role was more of a nice gesture rather than actually trying to fill a role we really need.

Might be wrong, maybe we are looking for a director of football.

Someone like JJ would be perfect! Knowledge of the club, fans and things we stand for.

Vlad doesn't strike me as the kind of bloke who does nice gestures. If that was the case then thats not the way to be running a football club.

If Kevin Kyle was to be offered a job outwith his usual central striker role then this would make sense.

Two different animals TC.

If KK was to be asked to play centre half then turned it down we'd still be needing a centre half.

I may have sacrificed clarity for brevity

I wasn't talking about anybody asking KK to do anything. I was talking about other players such as Stevenson and Obua being asked to occupy Kevin Kyle's role in a game plan that had been developed around Kyles particular strengths and weaknesses

I think it was an ad hoc gesture. Not because we need a DoF, but because JJ still had a significant contribution to make. It's not the role that was desired but JJ.

I like Optimus, cleverly asking the questions we will get no answers to without being controversial.

JJ was thrown a bone, either out of some kind of respect or just on the whim of Romanov. In all likelihood Romanov would not have expected him to do much more than improve his handicap and keep out of the road and he would have just been paying him the money due over a period rather than in a lump sum now.

If Romanov was/is serious about having a DOF why has one not been in place before now? Its not like he didn't have the new management team siting in an airport somewhere ready to board so he is capable of planning ahead.

Guess The Crowd

Not strictly on topic, but rather than start yet another thread, am I correct in thinking that JJ's contract was only for another year in any case?

I seem to recall, at the time of his appointment, that this job was for two and a half years and that he was likely to retire after that.

Not strictly on topic, but rather than start yet another thread, am I correct in thinking that JJ's contract was only for another year in any case?

I seem to recall, at the time of his appointment, that this job was for two and a half years and that he was likely to retire after that.

Good point, maybe JJ refused the DoF role but hinted that maybe he'd consider it a year from now to see if VR was genuine in the offer. If he'd taken it may have just been for money that VR would have pay JJ anyway. A year from now if JJ became DoF it would be because VR genuinely wanted him. Smart man that JJ, I'll miss him, but it's all a bit moot now...

Good point, maybe JJ refused the DoF role but hinted that maybe he'd consider it a year from now to see if VR was genuine in the offer. If he'd taken it may have just been for money that VR would have pay JJ anyway. A year from now if JJ became DoF it would be because VR genuinely wanted him. Smart man that JJ, I'll miss him, but it's all a bit moot now...

JJ wants to continue in football management,I would think he'll find a club sooner rather than later.

Archived