Fortress Tynecastle

Gambo

Everyone goes on about the Tynecatle atmosphere/stands........................................what a load of crap.

They really only come to life if the team are doing something on the park.

We have a stadium that lends itself to a great atmosphere and advantage, yet we as fans do not utilise it.

Many times over the last few seasons we have had near to capacity crowds and the atmosphere has been garbage, in fact it plays right into the opposition hands imo.

Do we , the fans HAVE TO WAIT until the team produces on the park to make it an intimidating place, as that is what it looks like to me..................the away teams now talk of loving coming to Tynecastle instead of dreading the visit.

I don't know if it is down to the two so called singing sections being located down the wings...........maybe it is time for the 'vocal supporters' to be located in one place behind the goals?

Tynecastle is a great arena for football, let us the fans use it to the teams advantage starting this Thursday and get right behind them loudly from the off.

The Tynecastle atmosphere willl soon be loooked upon in the same light as the hobo flair myth if we are not careful.

pS Mr Wilson, can you play tyhe Hector version of the Hearts song as the teams come out as opposed to the modern versions?

The Old Tolbooth

I agree with you Gambo, I thought Tynecastle today was like a flipping morgue, it was actually embarrassing!

fabienleclerq

The fans were shiote today, but then we have been for a while.One off games have been good but generally poor since 2006 season.

I think we expect too much and people just turn up to moan.

The Old Tolbooth

Aye, it's all the fans fault that we lost today.

No it's not all the fans fault, but if the fans actually got behind the team other than sitting on their hands eating prawn feckin sandwiches then it may just have given them a wee boost.

For what it's worth, I blame Jefferies entirely for today, but the fans are shite these days at singing.

Don't they have a band at Ibrox? Maybe we need something like that. They kick the songs off, rest join in.

WayneMarooney

Don't think that's what Gambo's really saying to be fair. I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying Gambo - and over the years I've taken friends from other countries (Italy and Spain, to be precise) to Hearts games and they said Tynecastle was a great ground and Jambos were all very friendly, but that they were disappointed by how little the home fans support their team vocally. Don't get me wrong - I've been a loyal Jambo for almost 30 years now and I've been at some amazing days and nights at Tynecastle, but if you think the atmosphere in the ground is really special then you need to catch some matches in the Latin countries to get an idea of what atmosphere really is.

Of course, if we didn't all have to stay in our seats like good boys and girls all the time... :(

Thought the atmosphere was quite lively before the United goal, but died away immediately after.

I do miss the days when no-one but the Old Firm left Tynecastle with any points, mind.

yep its actually starting to get embarrasing we have 12-14 k there every week and we can hardly muster a song honestly and ffs every1 says every1 in g sings no they dont the people up the back do but basically every1 else down from the back apart from a few just sit there. thats why when we are playing away its brilliant cause generally you get a lot of people who will sing in 1 stand and you get to sing for the full 90.today i actually saw a person with a book i mean cmon ffs the alarm bells should be ringing now.

and then theres the " football manager " brigade far to many of them these days all they do all game is tell jeffries how to do his job yes shout it a couple of times a game just not every minute of every game we all know jj got it tactically wrong today but some of us sing instead of pointing it out every 2 minutes

I've had enough of starting to join a chant only for everyone around me to look at me like i'm some sort of out of control hooligan. The people that just sit there, complaining and moaning and doing nothing to get behind the team infuriate me.

I've had enough of starting to join a chant only for everyone around me to look at me like i'm some sort of out of control hooligan. The people that just sit there, complaining and moaning and doing nothing to get behind the team infuriate me.

Your not alone there bud. Infact a few times me and my mates have tried getting a chant going only for ppl to stare at us like we are of our heads.

But what can you do?

Vlad-Stupid

Hate people singing while I'm trying to enjoy my sandwich and quaff my earl gray. If you want to sing, join a choir :seething:

Fourcandles

Your not alone there bud. Infact a few times me and my mates have tried getting a chant going only for ppl to stare at us like we are of our heads.

But what can you do?

Run on the Pitch and attack Neil Lemmon.........?

:o

The Old Tolbooth

Hate people singing while I'm trying to enjoy my sandwich and quaff my earl gray. If you want to sing, join a choir :seething:

You've always been quiet though :P

That's Earl Grey you uncouth oik <_<

The people who want to sing should be sitting in G or N - when these 2 sections are singing the rest of the stadium usually joins in. I sit at the back of G and the atmosphere can be amazing; but too many people seem to only come along for a moan or are not interested in generating any sort of atmosphere unless we are winning.

I can't say too much because of work commitments I don't get along as often as I'd like. However I still go whenever I can.

Considering it was the first competetive home game of the season it was particularly bad yesterday, absolutely dead.

Oneneilberry

Atmosphere has been dreadful for sometime now ,visiting support is a lot more vocal than us !

Northernsoulboy01

Atmosphere has been dreadful for sometime now ,visiting support is a lot more vocal than us !

Probably due to the fact that for the majority of away fans, Tynecastle and Edinburgh is a cracking day out.

We maybe dont appreciate it so much.

The Treasurer

Don't they have a band at Ibrox? Maybe we need something like that. They kick the songs off, rest join in.

A million times NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Done that...

I wanted to murder them.

Think they played 'when the saints go marching in against St Johnstone'

Tokyo Drifter

Agree totally with the OP. Have long thought it was crazy having the singing going on down the flanks and crazy having the family sectiom as the home end. Stick the away fans in the old stand, like they used to for cup and European games sometimes, move the families to section A in the Wheatfield and make the School End the home end.

Also agree about the "new" version of the Hearts song. Original's way better.

The Real Maroonblood

We could borrow the Livy drummer.

:thumbsup:

My days of singing are long gone.

Speaking as a father.

:facepalm:

Richard Luffnan

Tynecastle has been infiltrated by a large section of nomadic zombies . hence to passion

These threads that berate the Tynecastle atmosphere seem to appear again every now and then, but nothing ever seems to change at the next home game.

It's all fine and well complaining but what can actually be done to change what clearly is now a poor atmosphere at Tynie?

We have 13k at the home games. Yet only about 2000 (or less even) of them sing. It's disgraceful to be pretty honest.

For me going the games is about singing, shouting, swearing, basically getting behind the team however I can and perhaps others aren't as passionate but if you are at the game paying good money to be there then why not sing?! It baffles me.

I moved at the end of last season from section Z - which is like being in a library, any singing was frowned upon. When the whole gorgie stand sings it actually surprises me. It just shouldn't be like that. Moving to the top of G has allowed me to stand, sing at the top of my voice and not feel afraid to do so. It was good in G until United scored, but after that it was dead.

People who sit in G and N are the most passionate supporters (in theory) so those supporters need to take responsibility and try to get the atmosphere going by starting songs, and not just when we are winning or drawing. And the others need to join in, obviously.

Rant over but something needs to be done; starting on Thursday which is a European night. Surely enough for the rest of the stadium to 'make some noise' and actually support the team.

No it's not all the fans fault, but if the fans actually got behind the team other than sitting on their hands eating prawn feckin sandwiches then it may just have given them a wee boost.

For what it's worth, I blame Jefferies entirely for today, but the fans are shite these days at singing.

And I'm fecking seethin that all the prawn sandwiches were gone before half time. Had to have a pie. I blame Jefferies.

I would like to hear fans of other clubs views on the atmosphere at their grounds.This is only a opinion but seated stadia doesn't really lend itself to good atmospheres.To contradict that right away,Tynecastle can be a bear pit on occasion but only on rare occasions these days.I might have to contradict myself even further and suggest that it has always been thus?Many,many times in the past in the old terrace days the atmosphere was flat but roared into life for the big games.

To pass the buck completely..:rolleyes: ...this "problem",if one exists,has to be addressed by the youngsters of the day.I don't fancy these fabricated band,ultra sections you get at some grounds in Scotland(fair play to them for trying,just doesn't look great unless thousands in into it)but would like to hear the youngsters views.

I've fought the punk wars so to speak...its over to you,kids!

A million times NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In these times of inflation, that won't be worth as many in a few posts from now.

Yes, the visitors were more vocal but thats the case at most games. Those same supporters watching their team at home are just as quiet as our lot are. You'd hear the Hearts fans if the game was at Tannadice but rarely hear anything from their support, seems the way these days at all the games.

The expectation is high for every Hearts team that walks on to the pitch, the fans demand success. We haven't won

a competitive game for over 6 months and alot of the fans have had the stuffing kicked out of them since 2006. If the players

dont show much passion the fans wont either. Sad but true!

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

I tried to get my guitar through the turnstiles yesterday but they weren't having it. Maybe a Wurlitzer installed behind each goal would suffice.

This topic has been going on for years now, against certin teams,(including I when i get to games) we try & raise the roof, but if the other team score first, we all turning into mutes, apart from us telling JJ how to do his job,

In the early 80's when i first when to Tynie,I was told the players will play to the crowds & the noise that come out of the old shed was great for a 5/6 year old boy,hearing the Hearts song belted out, even hearing & trying to join in the old battle song that is "your gonna get your ******* head kicked in" & getting a back hander to my head when my mum caught me, that was happy days & that was to near enough every team that came to tynie.

But now,

Yes when the team play well, we make noise & the more noise we make seems to spur the players on even more,but when the team play "average" we moan & groan & clamp up.

We the fans are ment to be the 12th man, but unless we are playing the grusome 2 or the hobos we are just observers, sad it is to admit.

its a chicken & egg thing now, we only make noise when the team play well, not how its should be done.

& thats just my opinion.

i agree with the OP and it looks like lots of other people do but these threads pop up every now and then, and god knows i've started them before, but nothing gets done. it's time we adressed the problem:

i want to create some sort of group of like-minded people that want to sing and create atmosphere, but not like one of these false "ultras" groups, it has to be organic and scottish, but maybe that's the way support is going in this country, maybe we have to be organised, so here we go, i'm volunteering to organise something because nobody else will

who's with me?

Father Tiresias

Sitting down at football matches killed singing.

Many of the big English grounds which can be full to capacity are more like libraries and in my experience, away fans in Scotland are usually responsible for most of the noise created. Since Hullo Hullo has been hunted out of town, we don't really have a song where everyone sings. The European song is a great pub song but doesn't work in the stands and fans are all singing different versions of it anyway.

Sorry Gambo mate, don't know the answer!!

The people who want to sing should be sitting in G or N - when these 2 sections are singing the rest of the stadium usually joins in. I sit at the back of G and the atmosphere can be amazing; but too many people seem to only come along for a moan or are not interested in generating any sort of atmosphere unless we are winning.

Is Section N3 as vocal as N1? I've heard mixed ideas that a lot of noise comes from N3, but also that a lot of people prefer to just sit quietly and watch the game.

i agree with the OP and it looks like lots of other people do but these threads pop up every now and then, and god knows i've started them before, but nothing gets done. it's time we adressed the problem:

i want to create some sort of group of like-minded people that want to sing and create atmosphere, but not like one of these false "ultras" groups, it has to be organic and scottish, but maybe that's the way support is going in this country, maybe we have to be organised, so here we go, i'm volunteering to organise something because nobody else will

who's with me?

anyone? no?

so we all agree on the problem and we all seem to know what to do, but nobody wants to do anything about it...? is this correct?

peni hearts

I really hope tynecastle is at it's very best on Thursday night!! Everyone needs to get right behind the heart of midlothian and make tynecasle the fortress it can be at times!!

Thats not the point. Seems the days are long gone when there`d be a few songs before Kick Off. Also, there`d be a burst as the team came out.

I don`t know? I think there is snobbery today among many fans or they think they are too good or feel embarrassed to sing songs. Its not everyones cup of tea to sing at matches, and thats fine, but it does seem less and less fans sing at the games now and only raise a voice at bigger matches or as said, if the team is doing well on the park.

Raw support does seem to be lost now at ANY game.

who's with me?

What about the Fist of Gorgie? :huh:

:facepalm:

Something needs to be done, though.

colinmaroon

Didn't take long for this utterly predictable response to a post simply stating the facts!

Where did Gambo say it was the fans' fault?

He simply stated the truth that the atmosphere at Tynecastle, by and large unless we're winning, is really dismal.

Archived