Pizza, where's yer best?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

I've not found a Pizza in Edinburgh that I've got wild about. So anyone advise me of getting some Pizza action when its on the go?

Thanks.

Dean Winchester

Does it matter when at 3am your pished and staggering home... As long as its hot and semi-edible who cares how good it is :P

I've not found a Pizza in Edinburgh that I've got wild about. So anyone advise me of getting some Pizza action when its on the go?

Thanks.

The best tasting pizzas are made from scratch , with your kids help preparing the dough and toppings.

May not look like much, but worth the effort. :)

Commander Harris

for take away "anima" in stockbridge rocks(it's sister company to neighbouring l'alba doro - probably the best chippy in edinburgh).

if you're going for a meal I really like the pizza's at zizzi's down the Ocean Terminal - (and I imagine other zizzi's too)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
The best IMHO in Edinburgh (Musselburgh) is The Caprice, quality pizzas :)

Where is The Caprice now?

Used to be one in Leith Walk but it's changed owners.

JamboRossi79

Just as you come into Musselburgh over the bridge.

for take away "anima" in stockbridge rocks(it's sister company to neighbouring l'alba doro - probably the best chippy in edinburgh).

if you're going for a meal I really like the pizza's at zizzi's down the Ocean Terminal - (and I imagine other zizzi's too)

there's a couple of Zizzi's in Glasgow, will these be the same chain?

There used to be an excellent one on Leith Walk down from the Caprice, The Sorrento, it had the old stone oven and the pizzas were hand made. I have no idea if it's still there or if it has the same name, but the pizzas were amazing. I got taken there pretty much every Saturday night as a kid.

The Caprice used to have 2 restaurants, the one on Leith Walk and the one in Musselburgh (at end of high street on corner with traffic lights and bridge). The Leith Walk one always used to be best, till the Alongi family sold it and just kept the Musselburgh one (the chef moved to) which then became excellent.

Apparently not quite as good as it used to be, but Istill think its better pizzas than anywhere else I have found in Edinburgh

Commander Harris
there's a couple of Zizzi's in Glasgow, will these be the same chain?

aye. think so. THere's one in st andrews as well.

worth checking out, I know it's a chain but the food is good. :)

aye. think so. THere's one in st andrews as well.

worth checking out, I know it's a chain but the food is good. :)

yeah i went to one in Glasgow and it was top notch, cant remember what i got but sure it was pretty good.

Commander Harris
yeah i went to one in Glasgow and it was top notch, cant remember what i got but sure it was pretty good.

far superior to Pizza Express or other such chains. :)

If you haven't found any good ones, you haven't been doing enough research. Embrace your inner pizzaslut. :)

For takeaway my vote is split between L'Aquila Bianca in Stockb, Efe's at Tollcross or Eatalia's on Leith Walk. All very different but all really good.

For restaurant it would have been the Caprice in Musselburgh when I was younger but I don't think its the same people who have it now? Could be wrong on that.

Soooo...probably La Favorita on Leith Walk....

JamboRossi79
The Caprice used to have 2 restaurants, the one on Leith Walk and the one in Musselburgh (at end of high street on corner with traffic lights and bridge). The Leith Walk one always used to be best, till the Alongi family sold it and just kept the Musselburgh one (the chef moved to) which then became excellent.

Apparently not quite as good as it used to be, but Istill think its better pizzas than anywhere else I have found in Edinburgh

Yeah think Richard who used to own Richard's at Kings Road works there.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

La Favorita's pizza's from Leith Walk (It used to be the old Caprice i think, until old Papa Alonghi started selling up his restaurants) are supposed to be the dogs hee haws

UnworthyPapaLazaru
La Favorita's pizza's from Leith Walk (It used to be the old Caprice i think, until old Papa Alonghi started selling up his restaurants) are supposed to be the dogs hee haws

I can confirm this to be the case. Now doing take away too.

They are easily the best pizzas I have ever had.

They're fecking huge too.

Personally I prefer Guilliano's and the one in Stockbridge beginning with an S that I cannae remember :).

blondejamtart

The Caprice is Musselburgh is very good, but I would also recommend La Favorita on Leith Walk, which is where the old Caprice was. Vittoria's (also on Leith Walk) also does good proper Italian pizzas.

There's a great pizza place on Cockburn Street, does a great spicy chicken.

Era Macaroons

Dersims opposite petrol station on darly rd....superb

I moved house from Dalry yet still return there for my pizzas

Whenever a mate of mine is round for some pro ev playing and smoking, we usually order what we call The Heart Attack special.

That's a 16" Pepperoni, Spicy Beef and Chicken Pizza, which we usually order from Giovanni's chippy in Stenhouse.

Would highly recommend but you should probably get a clean bill of health from a doctor beforehand.

Say What Again

There isn't one that really stands out as the best for me but there certainly is one that stands out as the worst - and has been for as long as i can remember (though I don't know the name of it).

It's the one on the bridges next to the upstairs entrance to Whistle Binkies. I used to live on the Canongate and made the drunken mistake of going for a 3am pizza there many times. Every time it was rank.

Fast forward from then until last Saturday and I ended up in that area again at 2.15am. My mate went in and, against my better judgment, guided by bevvy-hunger, I followed and got a pizza.

It's still awful after all this time.

The fact they churn them out every 30 seconds to the drooling/fighting/spewing/snogging hoards in the shop must have something to do with it.

Ray Winstone
They're fecking huge too.

Personally I prefer Guilliano's and the one in Stockbridge beginning with an S that I cannae remember :).

San Marco?

Francos (the chippy next door but owned by same family) does the best pizza's in Edinburgh!

Not many places in Edinburgh that produce good pizza but La Favorita's is good.

If you're in Glasgow you should try out the Bier Hall pizzas. Proper Italian style thin base. Plus a wide array of beers to choose from!

If you're in Glasgow you should try out the Bier Hall pizzas. Proper Italian style thin base. Plus a wide array of beers to choose from!

They are usually 2 for 1 aswell!!

Exactly! Throw in a free hot dog when you buy a 2-pinter stein and it's a good feed you can get.

The Caprice is Musselburgh is very good, but I would also recommend La Favorita on Leith Walk, which is where the old Caprice was. Vittoria's (also on Leith Walk) also does good proper Italian pizzas.

Yup, I agree with La Favorita, although I do kinda like having a pizza down at Mamas in the Grassmarket.

The Old Tolbooth

Farrys in Dunfermline is barry for a good pizza, seafood and onion is just amazing!!!!

Bobby_swing_the_bar

Agree about Dersims in Dalry, its brilliant. Wish they would deliver to Fife.

Professor.Arturo
There isn't one that really stands out as the best for me but there certainly is one that stands out as the worst - and has been for as long as i can remember (though I don't know the name of it).

It's the one on the bridges next to the upstairs entrance to Whistle Binkies. I used to live on the Canongate and made the drunken mistake of going for a 3am pizza there many times. Every time it was rank.

Fast forward from then until last Saturday and I ended up in that area again at 2.15am. My mate went in and, against my better judgment, guided by bevvy-hunger, I followed and got a pizza.

It's still awful after all this time.

The fact they churn them out every 30 seconds to the drooling/fighting/spewing/snogging hoards in the shop must have something to do with it.

You are spot on, I live just up the road from it. Its called 'Pizza Paradise' and they are absolutely howlin!!!! They also do a chippy there.....even worse than the pizza! honest!! chips are rock solid, mince pies are not the real chip shop pies, they are the ones you get 6 for ?1 out of Farmfoods. Disgusting, never been back.

As for best? Bar Italia in Lothian rd and The Jolly in Elm row, not sure if they do take away though.

From an Italian point of view....only 'La Favorita' produce a decent pizza in Edinburgh. Most Pizza joints make their Pizzas with a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella (La Caprice included)....this is a definite NO!

Il Castello on Johnston Terrace is superb, but I don't know if they do takeaways.

Archived