FIFA World Rankings

gfox87

So the updated rankings show us in 61st place. Now i know we arent exactly the best nation in the world and tbh i didnt think 61st was so bad considering, then i took a look at some of the teams ahead of us:-

Gabon - 60th

Albania - 59th

Iran - 54th

Venezuela - 40th

Burkina Faso - 39th????

Bad times!!!!

Chad Sexington

They are a piece of nonsense. <_<

We were never the 13th best team in the world a couple of years back either.

Patrick Bateman

The SFA's decision to play a meaningless friendly against Brazil still baffles me. It was only ever going to hurt our coefficient and was typically short term thinking from them. We should look to play friendlies against joke nations so we can rise the rankings again. I reckon we have a far better squad now than we did when we were 13th, albeit with a manager who seems loathe to pick in form players and I reckon his 4-6-0 insult will end up costing us. I'd have sacked him for that alone.

Vlad-Stupid

Not seen a Scotland game since France '98 but 61st sounds pretty generous considering they never get past the qualifiers of a competition

ToadKiller Dog

So the updated rankings show us in 61st place. Now i know we arent exactly the best nation in the world and tbh i didnt think 61st was so bad considering, then i took a look at some of the teams ahead of us:-

Gabon - 60th

Albania - 59th

Iran - 54th

Venezuela - 40th

Burkina Faso - 39th????

Bad times!!!!

Venezuela would piss on us . that said that rankings is a poor system which is unfair on lesser european nations like ourselves .

Saint Jambo

Ranking systems like this only really make sense when teams around each other get to play in the same competitions regularlly, like in golf or tennis (where the rankings become a bit meaningless when you drop outside of players regularlly playing in at least challenger events).

So it makes more sense to only look at the European teams. Which would give us an extract that looks like...

26. Ukraine

27. Bulgaria

28. Romania

29. Georgia

30. Lithuania

31. Albania

32. Scotland

33. Northern Ireland

34. Austria

35. Poland

36. Finland

37. Estonia

38. Cyprus

I'd say that isn't too unrealistic. None of the teams directly below that we'd think we'd easily beat and none of the teams directly above that we'd feel we had no chance against. And overall given we haven't qualified for the past 6 tournament out of the European qualification, I'd say it is hard to argue that we wouldn't be sitting about 32nd.

kingantti1874

The SFA's decision to play a meaningless friendly against Brazil still baffles me. It was only ever going to hurt our coefficient and was typically short term thinking from them. We should look to play friendlies against joke nations so we can rise the rankings again. I reckon we have a far better squad now than we did when we were 13th, albeit with a manager who seems loathe to pick in form players and I reckon his 4-6-0 insult will end up costing us. I'd have sacked him for that alone.

the first part of this i agree with, the second part - levein has done nothing but pick in form players, morrison, dorrans, macail-smith, adam, macgreagor... the 4-6-0 was really silly but since then i think he has done an excellent job - scotland look better than we have done for years, call of have been redueced which suggests players want to play for the guy... no better man for the job IMO

Ranking systems like this only really make sense when teams around each other get to play in the same competitions regularlly, like in golf or tennis (where the rankings become a bit meaningless when you drop outside of players regularlly playing in at least challenger events).

So it makes more sense to only look at the European teams. Which would give us an extract that looks like...

26. Ukraine

27. Bulgaria

28. Romania

29. Georgia

30. Lithuania

31. Albania

32. Scotland

33. Northern Ireland

34. Austria

35. Poland

36. Finland

37. Estonia

38. Cyprus

I'd say that isn't too unrealistic. None of the teams directly below that we'd think we'd easily beat and none of the teams directly above that we'd feel we had no chance against. And overall given we haven't qualified for the past 6 tournament out of the European qualification, I'd say it is hard to argue that we wouldn't be sitting about 32nd.

Genuinely the post reply iv ever had on kickback Saint Jambo, good effort.

I suppose when you are comparing to the teams around us its closer than may first appear and i suppose we cant really judge whether we are better than some of the teams i mentioned in the original post due to not really knowing much about them.

the first part of this i agree with, the second part - levein has done nothing but pick in form players, morrison, dorrans, macail-smith, adam, macgreagor... the 4-6-0 was really silly but since then i think he has done an excellent job - scotland look better than we have done for years, call of have been redueced which suggests players want to play for the guy... no better man for the job IMO

I agree that recently Levein has picked in form players (maybe apart from Fletcher but theres obviously more to that) apart from mcgregor as he hasnt really had a choice in that with gordons injury troubles of late.

I like the fact that call offs are few and far between especially with 'niggling' injuries especially from old firm players and i think we do have the right man in place, even if thats because there is no one else better for the job lol

Looking at the FIFA World Rankings is a bit like looking at the league tables at the start of September.

They're not entirely meaningless but they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

We're about level with Lithuania in our qualifying group so we should be somewhere near them in the rankings. Whether we're ranked above them or not isn't a big deal

Looking at the FIFA World Rankings is a bit like looking at the league tables at the start of September.

They're not entirely meaningless but they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

We're about level with Lithuania in our qualifying group so we should be somewhere near them in the rankings. Whether we're ranked above them or not isn't a big deal

The problem now though is they are used to determine all seedings god FIFA and Uefa tournaments, so you have to take them seriously.

They are flawed, but unless everyone has played everyone else, then it's hard to think of a better system.

We're definitely better than Lithuania though, that's for sure.

We're definitely better than Lithuania though, that's for sure.

Oh for sure, the day we arent is the day i give up on us!!

Midloth_Iain

POT 1 : Spain, Holland, Germany, England, Portugal, Italy, Croatia, Norway, Greece

POT 2 : France, Montenegro, Russia, Sweden, Denmark, Slovenia, Turkey, Serbia, Slovakia

POT 3 : Switzerland, Israel, R.O.I., Belgium, Bosnia, Czech Rep, Belarus, Ukraine, Hungary

POT 4 : Bulgaria, Romania, Lithuania, Georgia, Albania, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Poland

POT 5 : Armenia, Finland, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Moldova, Macedonia, Faroes, Azerbaijan

POT 6 : Wales, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Malta, Andorra, San Marino, Luxembourg

Draw starts 7pm Saturday

Good draw would be : Norway, Slovakia, Bosnia, Latvia, Malta.

Hardest possibly : Spain, France, Ukraine, Macedonia, Kazahkstan

Gabon - 60th

Albania - 59th

Iran - 54th

Venezuela - 40th

Burkina Faso - 39th????

Bad times!!!!

Not a fair system TBH,but unfortunatly it's the one we have to go with,look at the teams we have played,Spain ,Brazil,Czech Rep,if we played bloody Burkina Faso and the likes we'd soon be higher.

kingantti1874

Norway an Greece in pot 1? Even Croatia !!! Wtf Would love Norway, Denmark and Hungary ... No doubt it will be Spain, France Switzerland

Fozzyonthefence

POT 1 : Spain, Holland, Germany, England, Portugal, Italy, Croatia, Norway, Greece

POT 2 : France, Montenegro, Russia, Sweden, Denmark, Slovenia, Turkey, Serbia, Slovakia

POT 3 : Switzerland, Israel, R.O.I., Belgium, Bosnia, Czech Rep, Belarus, Ukraine, Hungary

POT 4 : Bulgaria, Romania, Lithuania, Georgia, Albania, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Poland

POT 5 : Armenia, Finland, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Moldova, Macedonia, Faroes, Azerbaijan

POT 6 : Wales, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Malta, Andorra, San Marino, Luxembourg

Draw starts 7pm Saturday

And would want to avoid Wales from pot 6 as their best players are better than ours, but admittedly no strength in depth. Still can't believe Wales are in pot 6 and the Faroes are in pot 5, especially when you consider they have players like Bale and Ramsay.

Heres Rixxy

Draw starts 7pm Saturday

I would take:

Norway, Slovenia, Belarus, Scotland, Faroe Islands, San Marino :woot:

Siphiwe Tshabalala

This will sound so stupid but;

Can we be drawn against England at all?

I know we can as there in a different pot, but is it possible to actually play against them nowadays?

Portugal,Slovenia,Hungary, Scotland, Faroes,Malta,

Out of pot 1 im not too sure as I think Greece and Norway would beat us both home and away but for me thats a great draw...

Rick Grimes

Greece

Montenegro

Hungary

Scotland

Faroes

Andorra

pretty please ;)

Rick Grimes

This will sound so stupid but;

Can we be drawn against England at all?

I know we can as there in a different pot, but is it possible to actually play against them nowadays?

yep, as we did in the play-offs a few years back. we could get England, Rep Ireland & Wales. in the same group. not sure I'd fancy that at all though.

The Treasurer

Scotland's place in the world rankings and therefore which pot we are in for the draw only means the difference between being totally humiliated in the qualifiers or glorious failure in the qualifiers.

It does not affect any slim chance we might have of actually getting to the finals of any tournament

kingantti1874

Scotland's place in the world rankings and therefore which pot we are in for the draw only means the difference between being totally humiliated in the qualifiers or glorious failure in the qualifiers.

It does not affect any slim chance we might have of actually getting to the finals of any tournament

nae offence but that is absolute rubbish - we hve came very close on a number of occasions in pretty much the strongest groups the mind would allow you to come up with, and arguably at the moment we have the best group of players we have had for a very long time.

we have been playing very well recently and dominated the republic on their own patch with a squad shorn of about 5 or 6 first choices...yes i know we lost the game but there was universal acceptance that we were very unfortunate..

i think there is a good possibility we will be qualifying for a few touneys in the near future, especially if we could get a favourable drawe - our form has come probably too late for the euro's

rossthejambo

Draw starts 7pm Saturday

In Pot 1 I'd take Norway or Greece.

Pot 2 - Denmark

Pot 3 - Belarus

Pot 4 - Scotland obviously

Pot 5 - Anyone but Cyprus or Macedonia.

Pot 6 - Anyone but Wales or Iceland.

That would be ideal IMO.

The Treasurer

nae offence but that is absolute rubbish - we hve came very close on a number of occasions in pretty much the strongest groups the mind would allow you to come up with, and arguably at the moment we have the best group of players we have had for a very long time.

Hence my statement about "glorious failure"

we have been playing very well recently and dominated the republic on their own patch with a squad shorn of about 5 or 6 first choices...yes i know we lost the game but there was universal acceptance that we were very unfortunate..

I think both countries were far from full strength in that match so it can't be taken as a guide.

i think there is a good possibility we will be qualifying for a few touneys in the near future, especially if we could get a favourable drawe - our form has come probably too late for the euro's

Scotlands record when getting a "favourable draw" is not great (Faroe Islands, Costa Rica etc) which is why I mentionly the possibility of us being totally humiliated.

Surely it would be the difference between having a slim chance and having an extremely slim chance of getting to the finals

I think France 2016 is a NAP. The increasing of the tournament from 16 teams to 24 will undoubtably work in the favor of teams in pots 3 to 4 and is something that Scotland should take advantage of especially when the more than decent current crop of youngsters have a couple more years experience under their belts.

I think the qualification system is still being talked about but my understanding is that there will be 8 pots meaning the top 3 from all but one of them (France will have automatic qualification) woudl make it to the finals.

Charlie-Brown

Rankings are only a reflection of PAST results - they are not a determinant factor in future results or performances - future improvement (or further decline) will be decided by the efforts and results achieved by the players and management not whether we are 61st or 81st or 21st in the world rankings. We must prove ourselves good enough on the pitch to be able qualify and better than our group opponents.

Ecce Romanov

In Pot 1 I'd take Norway or Greece.

Pot 2 - Denmark

Pot 3 - Belarus

Pot 4 - Scotland obviously

Pot 5 - Anyone but Cyprus or Macedonia.

Pot 6 - Anyone but Wales or Iceland.

That would be ideal IMO.

I'd agree, though Norway or Greece in Group 1 wouldn't be disaster either.

• 4 weeks later...

Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Macedonia, Wales...... So people what do you all think??

I think its our best chance to qualify for a long time, all of those teams are beatable, especially at home.

rossthejambo

Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Macedonia, Wales...... So people what do you all think??

I realise this thread's been bumped for other reasons but this is the first time I've seen the draw and I think we've got next to no chance of qualifying from that group tbh.

alwaysthereinspirit

It's a nonsense system.

As long as we keep capping guys just because they play for or have played for one of the OF it will never change.

What ever happened to the full back Fox who played for Celtic? Is he injured?

Oh you meant the FIFA rankings are a nonsense system. :whistling:

I realise this thread's been bumped for other reasons but this is the first time I've seen the draw and I think we've got next to no chance of qualifying from that group tbh.

I dont understand why we have a draw for championship decided 3 years in advance. A lot can change in that time. We have the Euro's before that.

That said... it is what it is.

shaun.lawson

Netherlands in the top spot now :mellow: England 4th :mellow: Scotland up to 55th :mellow:

EDIT: Link

Beyond belief that England are 4th. Absolutely ludicrous. :vrface:

Also daft that, however consistent and hard to beat they've been for several years now, the Dutch have gone top. Genuine world class quality beats durability and consistency; and Spain have much more of the former than Holland.

At least Uruguay are above Brazil now. About time too. :lawson:

Archived