The league as at now .....

itsnomarooned

itsnomarooned

How come Dundee Utd are in 3rd and we're 4th? The same points and goal difference but our goal was scored away from home - doesn't that count in determining league placings?

Toxteth O'Grady

How come Dundee Utd are in 3rd and we're 4th? The same points and goal difference but our goal was scored away from home - doesn't that count in determining league placings?

No, alphabetical

scott_jambo

No. In the SPL it is if your team's name comes first in the alphabet.

SPL. :facepalm:

rossthejambo

It's only after 1 game, don't think it really matters that much does it? :blink:

scott_jambo

It's only after 1 game, don't think it really matters that much does it? :blink:

What if it was that 38 games? Change our name to Dart of Midlothian, imo.

aardvarks fc IMO. other teams may be on to this as well.

scott_jambo

aardvarks fc IMO. other teams may be on to this as well.

Change our team name to aabcaba fc.

After 38 games I'm pretty sure it's determined by a playoff.

Alphabetical is just used before then for sake of simplicity.

Toxteth O'Grady

If we were equal top at the end of the season the SPL would find a way of making us second.

We've lost the league on goal average and goal difference :down:

maroonshrew

am i right in thinking before penalty shootouts teams used to settle a game with a coin toss. I seem to remember seeing footage of Liverpool winning a European tie this way in the 50s

scott_jambo

After 38 games I'm pretty sure it's determined by a playoff.

Alphabetical is just used before then for sake of simplicity.

I demand a play off now before the match on Saturday to determine who is 3rd going into Saturday's match.

C'mon Regan, the people demand it you glaiket turd.

FarmerTweedy

I demand a play off now before the match on Saturday to determine who is 3rd going into Saturday's match.

C'mon Regan, the people demand it you glaiket turd.

What Saturday's match???

itsnomarooned

OK - by alphabet seems to be the case but surely it would be odd to have 2 methods of determining places, i.e. by alphabet now (and through the season?) and some other method to determine final standings .......... on the assumption that even our useless blazers wouldn't accept final league placing by alphabet.

NewYorkJambo

At the end of the season if we are level on goal difference then it goes to who has scored more. If that is somehow the same then it goes to head to head.

How teams are separated after one game seems irrelevant.

Maiden Gorgie

AZ Alkmaar had the right idea but messed up half way through.

And what message is this trying to convey?

this.

OK - by alphabet seems to be the case but surely it would be odd to have 2 methods of determining places, i.e. by alphabet now (and through the season?) and some other method to determine final standings .......... on the assumption that even our useless blazers wouldn't accept final league placing by alphabet.

i.e. it doesn't matter at this stage (1 game played from 38) and really isn't something to stress about.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

yep, aardvark fc

Bad idea and a recipe for failure. Aardvark never hurt anyone. :whistling:

itsnomarooned

this.

i.e. it doesn't matter at this stage (1 game played from 38) and really isn't something to stress about.

I agree - I was just genuinely interested as to why the current standings are as they are.

Toxteth O'Grady

A6.3 If any two or more Clubs are equal in points at the end of the Season, the higher placed Club shall be the Club with the larger or largest positive goal difference (or the lower or lowest negative goal difference where appropriate). Goal difference shall be determined by deducting the goals conceded from the goals scored in all League Matches pla

yed during the Season. In the event of the goal difference being equal, the higher placed Club shall be the Club, which has scored most goals in League Matches during the Season.

A6.4 If two or more Clubs have the same goal difference and have scored the same number of goals in the relevant Season and their positions in the League have a bearing on deciding which Club is the Champion Club or the relegation of any Club or qualification (or consideration for qualification) for any other competitions including UEFA Competitions, then the Clubs concerned shall play-off a deciding League Match on a date and at a neutral ground as determined by the Board in each case. Such deciding League Match shall be of 90 minutes duration with 30 minutes of extra time and kicks from the penalty mark if necessary. The net gate money after deducting expenses shall be divided equally between the competing Clubs. Any Club staging a play-off match shall be entitled to charge, as an expense against the receipts of the match, its necessary match expenses together with a ground facility fee of 20% of the gross gate receipts after deduction of Value Added Tax

Aalesunds of Norway must be sitting :verysmug: at the top of the league every year, champions before they've kicked a ball.

Hasn't helped though, as they've never won the Tippeligaen.

I was going to be all smart and say Aachen FC - but they're actually called Alemannia Aachen FC. :lol:

How about Aarhus Gymnastikforening?

Aalesunds of Norway must be sitting :verysmug: at the top of the league every year, champions before they've kicked a ball.

Hasn't helped though, as they've never won the Tippeligaen.

Only problem with that - the first A in Alesund has a wee circle above it - it makes it a different letter and its the *last* letter in the alphabet :thumbsup:

Hearts Heritage

am i right in thinking before penalty shootouts teams used to settle a game with a coin toss. I seem to remember seeing footage of Liverpool winning a European tie this way in the 50s

Originally they played a 'Play Off' venue decided by drawing of lots. Hearts were 'drawn away' twice and lost both.

Then 'drawing of lots' was then used before 'kicks from the penalty mark' were introduced in 1970.

UEFA brought them in 1971-72.

Pre WWII Coin toss and number of corners won were also used.

And what message is this trying to convey?

Its James E Cornette, he'll convey any damn message he choose.

It's the same alphabet that has us "ahead" of Rangers on the BBC version. But if they used Glasgow Rangers it would be a different story.

CavySlaveJambo

It's the same alphabet that has us "ahead" of Rangers on the BBC version. But if they used Glasgow Rangers it would be a different story.

It is not Glasgow Rangers though. It's The Rangers Football Club

i'm pretty sure that when celtic won the european cup , either there quarter final or semi final match was decided by a coin toss

i'm pretty sure that when celtic won the european cup , either there quarter final or semi final match was decided by a coin toss

Not the season they won it but the season they got beat in the final (1970)they beat Benfica this way (after a 3-0 home win and away loss 0-3). One of the early rounds. We gubbed them 2-0 at Parkhead just before their home leg win

Coburg Hearts

Not the season they won it but the season they got beat in the final (1970)they beat Benfica this way (after a 3-0 home win and away loss 0-3). One of the early rounds. We gubbed them 2-0 at Parkhead just before their home leg win

I'm sure Billy McNeill thought he had lost the toss and the match when the referee tossed the coin and he called it wrong, but the first toss up was to decide who called. The opposing captain then called wrong on the second toss-up that decided the match. (maybe I'm talking garbage, but it's how I remember it)

Mac_fae_Gillie

The alphabet has long been Aberdeens best friend when it comes to league standings.

The alphabet has long been Aberdeens best friend when it comes to league standings.

Apart from the fact they're pish. You need to be up there for the alphabet to help you.

I think we should change our name to Aaaaaaaarrrrrt of Midlothian Football Club and be a pirate club.

Why on earth would away goals have anything to do with it?

:vrface:

Should probably have a bit more to do with it that alphabetical order though...

Should probably have a bit more to do with it that alphabetical order though...

Not really.

We're 1 game in.

There are 3 things it's judged on - points, goal difference, goals scored.

After a couple of games the league starts to take form and the likelihood of all 3 of the above being equal becomes a highly unlikely situation.

The league positions mean not a jot till the end of the season and at that time, if by a freak occurence all 3 are the same then I believe a playoff is required.

Away goals :vrface:

itsnomarooned

Why on earth would away goals have anything to do with it?

'cos it's a lot less random (and much fairer) than using the team name to determine league placings !!

:facepalm::vrface::facepalm::vrface::facepalm::vrface:

'cos it's a lot less random (and much fairer) than using the team name to determine league placings !!

:facepalm::vrface::facepalm::vrface::facepalm::vrface:

but it's not a criteria which would determine classification. it's only to notionally decide which team to place before another during the season. if a tie on points, goal difference and goals scored applied after all the games had been played then a play-off would take place.

therefore it doesn't matter.

Celtic won a european game on the toss of a coin, which was really red on one side and yellow on the other. I think Billy McNeil called correct twice as they tossed to see who would call first.

I'm sure Billy McNeill thought he had lost the toss and the match when the referee tossed the coin and he called it wrong, but the first toss up was to decide who called. The opposing captain then called wrong on the second toss-up that decided the match. (maybe I'm talking garbage, but it's how I remember it)

You're probably right. It was probably something mad like that.

Archived