McGowan for centre half

Jambomullins

Jambomullins

With Websster potentially out injured and Hamill likelt be the 1st choice at right back, what are people's thoughts on Ryan playing at centre half?

Personally, I thought he defended superbly yesterday. He's quick, athletic and solid in the tackle and I think we could do worse.

Drylaw Hearts

IMO........

Ryan McGowan has found his best position.

I would keep him there.

IMO........

I would keep him there.

I would leave him and Eggert where they were and move Hamill to midfield instead of Taouil.

I would leave him and Eggert where they were and move Hamill to midfield instead of Taouil.

This.

Rocky jamboa

I thought McGowan was immense at right back yesterday so would agree we should keep him there. The tough tackling right back we've been crying out for for years!

Only a Game

In some games yes, like yesterday if we had the choice for example.

Although Taouil wont exactly set the heather alight he's got a spark of creativity about him and we need that balance in midfield, otherwise we go back to what we had last season where we could win the ball and stop teams playing but didnt have enough creativity in there to do much with it.

So Black and Hamill as the first choices for me, with Temps for as long as he keeps in top form, Skacel if he signs and ideally Suso wide right (if not Hamill wide right and Eggert alongside Black). There might even be some games where we can play EITHER Black or Hamill and put another attack minded player or a second striker on. (Cant see us playing 4-4-2 many times unless player availability dictates that we have to) Hamill looks to me like he could be a 'box to box' man. We've also got Obua who deserves his place just now but probably wont deserve it forever. We've got two or three others, Driver, Stevenson and Robinson etc who will be fighting for places as well.

McGowan is a great player to have around because he's shown for me that he could play right back or centre back very effectively. I dont fancy him in midfield very much but in times of need, that we will undoubtedly have, he could slot in the defensive midfield role By the way, he's also got one hell of a long throw on him. Very Neilsonesque.

I was also delighted with Grainger yesterday so thats the left back slot also taken care of, although who we play as cover is still a bit of a mystery, probably Obua.

All in all if yesterday proved anything, its that we've suddenly got options we didnt appear to have last season.

In some games yes, like yesterday if we had the choice for example.

Although Taouil wont exactly set the heather alight he's got a spark of creativity about him and we need that balance in midfield, otherwise we go back to what we had last season where we could win the ball and stop teams playing but didnt have enough creativity in there to do much with it.

So Black and Hamill as the first choices for me, with Temps for as long as he keeps in top form, Skacel if he signs and ideally Suso wide right (if not Hamill wide right and Eggert alongside Black). There might even be some games where we can play EITHER Black or Hamill and put another attack minded player or a second striker on. (Cant see us playing 4-4-2 many times unless player availability dictates that we have to)

The same could be said about Stevenson as you said about Taouil so both could be on the bench ready to change the style or add a bit of creativity if required.

Johanes de Silentio

McGowan's performance was outstanding - we should play him where he's most likely to keep up that kind of form.

If that means Hamill has to be left on the bench - too bad.

It was Hamill's suspension that gave McGowan the opportunity, and he's grabbed it.

With Webster's injury, Eggert has grabbed his opportunity as well.

Long term, I think that McGowan would be best at CB, and Eggert would be best at CM, but sometimes the best line-up can sort of establish itself by accident.

IMO........

I would keep him there.

Double post

Only a Game

The same could be said about Stevenson as you said about Taouil so both could be on the bench ready to change the style or add a bit of creativity if required.

I'd like to see us rotating the midfield quite a lot this season and picking a midfield appropriate to the opposition a lot more. Stevenson and Taouil are prime examples of this. If you need a bit of dig in a battle you pick Stevenson, if you will need to open a team up with slick passing and a bit of cleverness in the link up play, you'd pick Taouil.

I felt last season we didnt do that enough and quite often we had a defensive looking midfield at home to the likes of St Johnstone etc etc. Appreciate that we had a lot of injuries and that this season we seem to have a bit more choice and a bit more quality and variety in midfield

Only a Game

McGowan's performance was outstanding - we should play him where he's most likely to keep up that kind of form.

If that means Hamill has to be left on the bench - too bad.

It was Hamill's suspension that gave McGowan the opportunity, and he's grabbed it.

With Webster's injury, Eggert has grabbed his opportunity as well.

Long term, I think that McGowan would be best at CB, and Eggert would be best at CM, but sometimes the best line-up can sort of establish itself by accident.

Eggert long term at centre half is a no-goer for me. Yes he did okay yesterday but he wont be able to hold that position down.

If Webster is out for a while now I'm hoping they will put McGowan there, but JJ will probably leave Eggert there until the inevitable feck up happens.

Johanes de Silentio

Eggert long term at centre half is a no-goer for me. Yes he did okay yesterday but he wont be able to hold that position down.

If Webster is out for a while now I'm hoping they will put McGowan there, but JJ will probably leave Eggert there until the inevitable feck up happens.

Tend to agree with this.

I was impressed with McGowan yesterday but to suggest he should be starting instead of Hammill is quite a bold statement. Also if Webster and Zaliukas are available i'd like to think he won't be playing at centre half.

Drylaw Hearts

I was impressed with McGowan yesterday but to suggest he should be starting instead of Hammill is quite a bold statement. Also if Webster and Zaliukas are available i'd like to think he won't be playing at centre half.

McGowan doesn't deserve to be dropped after his performance though.

Hamill should wait his turn imo.

McGowan doesn't deserve to be dropped after his performance though.

Hamill should wait his turn imo.

Fair enough but i disagree, Hammill is a better player at the minute and i don't see why he shouldn't get into the team.

Johanes de Silentio

Fair enough but i disagree, Hammill is a better player at the minute and i don't see why he shouldn't get into the team.

What are you basing this on?

It's a tough call to be honest but after a motm award at ibrox it would be really harsh on Ryan if he was dropped.

Drylaw Hearts

Whilst I realise it's only been preseason.....

Hamill has not had a performance for Hearts anywhere near as good as the one McGowan put in v Rangers.

There is no point in creating competition for places if you don't keep playing the players who've earned the right to be in the team.

Only a Game

Whilst I realise it's only been preseason.....

Hamill has not had a performance for Hearts anywhere near as good as the one McGowan put in v Rangers.

There is no point in creating competition for places if you don't keep playing the players who've earned the right to be in the team.

This. Absalutely this.

We have the luxury of now being able to play Hamill in midfield for as long as Ryan maintains his form at right back. I'd be gutted if I was Ryan and didnt start the next game. Possibly he'll have to move in one anyway to cover for Webster but no way should he be making way for Hamill in a straight swap after that performance yesterday. Frankly its pretty poor if Jefferies does a straight swap Hamill for McGowan next week.

Regular John

McGowan was alright yesterday, but I wouldn't say he was outstanding up against a poor and out of position Ortiz.

Their goal also came due to him being slack in possession.

I'd bring back the experienced Hamill and keep McGowan for cover at centre half.

Johanes de Silentio

McGowan was alright yesterday, but I wouldn't say he was outstanding up against a poor and out of position Ortiz.

I'd bring back the experienced Hamill and keep McGowan for cover at centre half.

As far as the goal we conceded is concerned, I'm more concerned about the amount of space Naismith had to pick his spot - especially after the previous warnings we'd had - that goal had been coming.

Yep.

ernie winchester

Agree with a lot of the stuff posted here. Ryan simply can't be dropped at right back after his performance yesterday. As for Hammill, midfield for me, possibly straight swap for Blackie (although he also played well yesterday, so harsh). Eggert will give you everything wherever he plays, but he's no full back (last season) and I don't see him displacing Webster when fit or Zal; quite simply, Webby and Zal are better centre backs. But I feel Eggert was unfortunate yesterday, finally starting a game in his best position but only for 8 minutes, and I fully expect him to make that roll his own. Also agree with OAG's comment about the relative merits of Taouil's craft and Stevenson dig.

Nice to have these options!

John Gentleman

I've been saying it for how long now?............(boring fart), but I watched McGowan develop at Para Hills SC. His preferred position is CB. That's where he's best, despite his excellent performance on Saturday.

There's also something niggling me re. the CB positions; when Zal and Webster are playing together each wants to 'boss' it. No' good Karma. I'd like to see JJ give Zal and Ryan a shot at the CB pairing, with Zal playing the mentor role (minus his AWOL moments). A bit like the Pressley/Webster relationship of yonder years. I actually welcomed the return of Webster, but frankly have pretty much given up on him now. I'm alluding to Peter Houston's comments and also those of that sly old fox Uncle Wattie, "he was never available when we needed him." And Davie Weir was spot-on when he said, "his head's screwed."

So, for me, Hammill at RB and McGowan at CB.

What are you basing this on?

The fact that he is a better player and has proved it over a few seasons..

I would quite like to see McGowan at centre back if Webster is out injured.. McGowan and Zaliukas could be a good partnership..

Bert Le Clos

From what I've seen McGowan was excellent yesterday.

But I also remember Jonsson playing very well in his first game as a right back, and people saying the same thing about him; "This could be his new position."

I'll put McGowan in the same pot as Obua at the moment. Hopefully he is still playing as well in January, but one good game doesn't mean he is the answer to our problems at right back. I'm not sure Jonsson has it in him to be a dominant centre half, and I'd actually like to see McGowan given a few games there, especially if Webster might be out.

I've been saying it for how long now?............(boring fart), but I watched McGowan develop at Para Hills SC. His preferred position is CB. That's where he's best, despite his excellent performance on Saturday.

There's also something niggling me re. the CB positions; when Zal and Webster are playing together each wants to 'boss' it. No' good Karma. I'd like to see JJ give Zal and Ryan a shot at the CB pairing, with Zal playing the mentor role (minus his AWOL moments). A bit like the Pressley/Webster relationship of yonder years. I actually welcomed the return of Webster, but frankly have pretty much given up on him now. I'm alluding to Peter Houston's comments and also those of that sly old fox Uncle Wattie, "he was never available when we needed him." And Davie Weir was spot-on when he said, "his head's screwed."

So, for me, Hammill at RB and McGowan at CB.

What`s pleasing is discovering McGowan can at least fill in at RB as i wouldn`t play Jonsson there again unless we were decimated by injury and suspension. But as pointed out, its catch 22.

McGowan has played well at RB so why move him? Pacey, strong and a good tackler....also not frightened to make runs forward when it`s on.....something Jonsson rarely does when playing RB...

But i agree with you about the CB position. McGowan dropped back in there the last time we visited Ibrox, and although we were being well beaten, he played well and showed good composure and put in some timely challenges. But as per Jonsson i don`t want to see him ****ed about from position to position. Let him settle somehwere until it is absolutely crucial we have to move him to cover another area because of injuries etc...

mahgrassyshoes

I would leave him and Eggert where they were and move Hamill to midfield instead of Taouil. Mrowiec for me.

I really like Eggy at CH. Think he just needs a run at it. I see a bit of Phil Jagielka in him. It's a position that suits him. The game is all infront of him, he can read it and he can compete for the ball. He is comfier on the ball and quicker than most CH's which works in his favour too.

McGowan did well at RB and I'd be tempted to make that a fight between him and Hammil. Wouldn't mind seeing Gowser stay there and Hammil replace Eggy/Mrowiec in the midfield from Sat.

You never know though - lets not heap pressure on Ryan. Sometimes playing in sucha tough game can be easier in a weird way than a Killie at home for a young lad, especially in a new position. He looks to have what it takes, but lets be gentle with him.

Walter Kidd

Not very often I agree with Drylaw but I do this time. McGowan exceeded my expectations on Saturday. Great performance. More of the same please.

Their goal came from him being slack in possession, but then obua showed papac down the line onto his left, then when the cross came in zal was too far forward and look at the space naismith got. More than one error for their goal.

I dont think he should be dropped after a good performance but hopefully long term he can get a good partnership with zal or webster as someone already mentioned zal and webster cant work together.

scott_jambo

I've been wanting Mcgowan in the team for over a year.

While I may have been a bit hasty I have always believed he has the basics to succeed with a mature head on young shoulders.

Good on the ball, tall, strong tackler, good passer, brave, fast off the ground - similar to wallace when he first broke through.

He just needs to learn to improve positioning through experience and games.

Drylaw, you weren't convinced with him before. Do you think he could do a job for us now?

I defo see Mcgowan as cover for CH rather than RB but he seems to have played himself into the RB contention.

Poor mistake for the goal on saturday but can hopefully only learn from these mistakes.

Completely agree, he had a good display against a very poor performance from Oritz. I think once Wylde came on he was getting past McGowan quite easily, which isn't promising because Gregg Wylde isn't great.

Agree that Hammill is the man for Right Back also.

scott_jambo

Completely agree, he had a good display against a very poor performance from Oritz. I think once Wylde came on he was getting past McGowan quite easily, which isn't promising because Gregg Wylde isn't great.

Agree that Hammill is the man for Right Back also.

he was great against a poor Ortiz and Wylde is lightening so as a tiring right back he kept it solid.

The jury is still out on Mcgowan as a right back but he has proven we can rely on him when called upon, which is a big boost for the current season.

Drylaw Hearts

I've been wanting Mcgowan in the team for over a year.

While I may have been a bit hasty I have always believed he has the basics to succeed with a mature head on young shoulders.

Good on the ball, tall, strong tackler, good passer, brave, fast off the ground - similar to wallace when he first broke through.

He just needs to learn to improve positioning through experience and games.

Drylaw, you weren't convinced with him before. Do you think he could do a job for us now?

This is the first time I've ever seen him play at RB and I think he certainly looks far better there than he has in any of the other games he's been involved in.

The spanish guy got plenty of the ball but McGowan played him very well and the guy rarely got past him.

However...

I'm not sure McGowan is that clever on the ball tbh.....it seems to get stuck under his feet a lot. Dribbling clearly isn't his strong point.

But he has great pace and was great in the tackle.

Centre Midfield - nope

Centre Half - possibly

Right Back - probably

scott_jambo

This is the first time I've ever seen him play at RB and I think he certainly looks far better there than he has in any of the other games he's been involved in.

The spanish guy got plenty of the ball but McGowan played him very well and the guy rarely got past him.

However...

I'm not sure McGowan is that clever on the ball tbh.....it seems to get stuck under his feet a lot. Dribbling clearly isn't his strong point.

But he has great pace and was great in the tackle.

Centre Midfield - nope

Centre Half - possibly

Right Back - probably

I think he would do well at Centre Mid to be honest.

A more technical Mroweic with a better range of passing is probably how i'd describe him as a midfielder just now.

Drylaw Hearts

I think he would do well at Centre Mid to be honest.

A more technical Mroweic with a better range of passing is probably how i'd describe him as a midfielder just now.

He has never looked anywhere near comfortable at CM.

Right Back has been his best match by quite some distance and CM has been his worst.

With Websster potentially out injured and Hamill likelt be the 1st choice at right back, what are people's thoughts on Ryan playing at centre half?

Personally, I thought he defended superbly yesterday. He's quick, athletic and solid in the tackle and I think we could do worse.

I would leave him where he is meantime until he finds his feet in the 1st team, provided he doesn't have a disaster at some early point. When he is more established we can look to play him CD or CMF. Hamill I think could do a worthwhile job as DM.

Chris Benoit

I'd basically start with the team that ended the first half against Rangers with maybe Hamill in for Mrowiec but that would be harsh as I think he had a very good game when he came on.

As for McGowan and Jonsson I would personally rather see McGowan in midfield and Jonsson at centre defence if Hamill is going to play RB

Snake Plissken

Guy puts in a MoTM performance at right back so let's move him to another position, aye?

I'd give McGowan the chance to keep his jersey, Hamill can come in at midfield when he's back from suspension.

scott_jambo

He has never looked anywhere near comfortable at CM.

Right Back has been his best match by quite some distance and CM has been his worst.

Stop it Drylaw :D

He starred for Ayr United in Centre mid - how many minutes has he played there for Hearts!

You have such an awful habit of judging players immediately, quite frustrating to read. I still love you though, DH.

ROMANOV FAN CLUB

I would like to think Jim will do the right thing here and put Hamill on the bench along with Webster and give the players who have waited their time for a starting jersey the opertunity

Would like to think Ryan will be given the next 5 matches to prove he is No 1 for right-back position

And Webster may be a better player in centre of defense than Eggert but to me Webster is another Kingston who decides too easily to call it a day, While Eggert has shown he will play anywhere for the team

Motm vs rangers and did well in the 3 games in the split last season. I wonder why Csaba never rated him tbh and brought in kucharski :rofl:

Motm vs rangers and did well in the 3 games in the split last season. I wonder why Csaba never rated him tbh and brought in kucharski :rofl:

To be fair, Ryan probably needed some games at a lower level. His spell at ayr probably done him the world of good. Better that he makes his mistakes there than in our first eleven.

He looked the part on Saturday though. Hope he can keep it up.

Drylaw Hearts

Stop it Drylaw :D

He starred for Ayr United in Centre mid - how many minutes has he played there for Hearts!

You have such an awful habit of judging players immediately, quite frustrating to read. I still love you though, DH.

How often did you see him 'star' there for Ayr ?

Ryan Stevenson said last night on Sportscene he played with Ryan at Ayr when he was played at RB so he wasn't surprised how well he did there.

I can honestly say I've not seen RM have a decent match for Hearts in CM.

He just looks so awkward with the ball in tight positions.

Btw...

I know you do.

:verysmug:

Thunderstruck

Avoiding the bickering about who should play where, it is very encouraging that we are now seeing good strength in depth and having a number of players who are very versatile.

All being well, we will need this depth of resource to compete through the season and have a run in Europe.

Ryan McGowan is another bright star rising out of the Hearts Academy and it is good to see that JJ (backed by Vlad) is building a team with a good mix of age/experience and youth/enthusiasm.

Archived