Celtic - 2nd week of SPL fixtures

tazhearts

Why have Celtic been allowed to miss the 2nd week of SPL fixtures in order to go and play in a money spinning tournament in Dublin? Surely the SFA / SPL should tell them they are playing like all the other teams and to hell with their silly Dublin tournament. Do you think they would have allowed non old firm teams to miss the 2nd week of the SPL season in order to play in a pre-season friendly tournament?

Dean Winchester

Anybody that had preseason games scheduled before the start date was announced where allowed to miss that weekends fixture.

Why have Celtic been allowed to miss the 2nd week of SPL fixtures in order to go and play in a money spinning tournament in Dublin? Surely the SFA / SPL should tell them they are playing like all the other teams and to hell with their silly Dublin tournament. Do you think they would have allowed non old firm teams to miss the 2nd week of the SPL season in order to play in a pre-season friendly tournament?

Because our ****witt Mickey Mouse setup was decided after clubs had deals set in place. Hibs have Sunderland either the same weekend or it might be the following. Also Rangers have Chelsea.

Destruction Derby

Rangers are playing Chelsea on the 6th August, It was optional to opt out for a round of fixtures to play in a pre-season tournament or game if you had arranged 1 with the league starting early

I think you could miss any of the first 3 fixtures...I think Hibs might be missing one due to big friendly at Blackpool..

Dean Winchester

Why has our season started so early anyway???

Due to all the problems last season.

Luton Jambo

Do you think they would have allowed non old firm teams to miss the 2nd week of the SPL season in order to play in a pre-season friendly tournament?

Yes.

I hope this clarifies matters. :whistling:

The Old Tolbooth

Hibs have a friendly against someone too I'm sure and are skipping a weeks game.

I really hope the Old Firm don't bleat on about fixture congestion later in the season, if they do then they can GTF!

Why has our season started so early anyway???

The season has to end early because of the European Championships. Uefa has imposed a date by which time all domestic competitions have to stop. Therefore to stop the fixture pileups that would happen if we had another bad winter the SPL announced an early start to the season. However they did this in late March after Celtic had agreed to play in Dublin Cup so all SPL clubs were allowed to postpone an SPL fixture in the first few weeks of the season to play a friendly.

Archived