Why Can't We Split The Old Firm?

Jambothroughandthrough

Jambothroughandthrough

We've made four great signings in Sutton, Grainger, Hamill and Taouil. Kyle and Driver are just a few weeks away from the first team as well.

Our bench today actually looked stronger than the Rangers bench. I still believe we'll get Skacel signed up and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one other new face at Tynie before the window closes.

We showed in that great run last season that we can match and catch the Old Firm. I believe we are stronger than last season as well and will cope better if we lose one or two key players......as today proved!

We have to take heart from our performance at Ibrox. Back in the day we would have gone onto lose that game as soon as Rangers got back on level terms. Our heads didn't go down and we showed a great maturity and discipline to hold out for a well deserved draw.

Obua is like a new signing. I had a feeling he'd do well this season and posted on here last night that he should play a central role because of his passing ability. Obua was great and will only get better as long as we support him and get of his back.

There isn't one negative for me today and I can only see positives especially with key players still to return.

Can we split the Old firm and give them a run for the money? I say yes we can. Why not?

I think your getting a bit carried away.

Our problem last year was dropping points when our squad became stretched and I think its too early to say if we can cope with a league challenge.

Ill be happy to see us consolidate 3rd place, do what we can in Europe and try close down the OF.

We've made four great signings in Sutton, Grainger, Hamill and Taouil. Kyle and Driver are just a few weeks away from the first team as well.

Our bench today actually looked stronger than the Rangers bench. I still believe we'll get Skacel signed up and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one other new face at Tynie before the window closes.

We showed in that great run last season that we can match and catch the Old Firm. I believe we are stronger than last season as well and will cope better if we lose one or two key players......as today proved!

We have to take heart from our performance at Ibrox. Back in the day we would have gone onto lose that game as soon as Rangers got back on level terms. Our heads didn't go down and we showed a great maturity and discipline to hold out for a well deserved draw.

Obua is like a new signing. I had a feeling he'd do well this season and posted on here last night that he should play a central role because of his passing ability. Obua was great and will only get better as long as we support him and get of his back.

There isn't one negative for me today and I can only see positives especially with key players still to return.

Can we split the Old firm and give them a run for the money? I say yes we can. Why not?Because we raise our game against the better teams then go to sleep during the easy games except the hibees

The moderators will be watching this thread closely. Please keep to the topic, and no personal or ad hominem remarks.

Jambothroughandthrough

I think your getting a bit carried away.

Our problem last year was dropping points when our squad became stretched and I think its too early to say if we can cope with a league challenge.

Ill be happy to see us consolidate 3rd place, do what we can in Europe and try close down the OF.

With the likes of Suso, Kyle, Driver and Hamill to return I can't see why we can't give them a real scare. Rangers squad isn't as strong as ours in my opinion at the moment. They may change that in the coming weeks. Rangers looked ordinary and without Jelavic they are screwed

Jambothroughandthrough

Rangers are two injuries away from big trouble.

We can finish above them.

I agree mate....

If Davis and Jelavic go missing and they are in big trouble

jambojim1986

I think we caught rangers cold the first half and should of had the game wrapped up by half time. What the hell happened in the second half though? We weren't able to retain possession to ease the pressure which was a bit worrying. If we can get our squad fit and keep it fit we could do really well. Rangers look rank so 2nd is a possibility, but unlikely.

Jambothroughandthrough

I think we caught rangers cold the first half and should of had the game wrapped up by half time. What the hell happened in the second half though? We weren't able to retain possession to ease the pressure which was a bit worrying. If we can get our squad fit and keep it fit we could do really well. Rangers look rank so 2nd is a possibility, but unlikely.

Based on the points difference last season it looks unlikely but that was last season. JJ has been very shrewed in the transfer market and will have the players beliving that we can mount a decent challenge.

I'm not saying for a second that we will win the Championship but I do believe we can challenge the big two and get very close. Second is not unrealistic.

Splitting the Old Firm has to be our target.

Chris Benoit

No offence to the op (genuinely) but I hate when folk say split the OF, if your good enough to finish above one why not the other one?

Personally would be happy with 3rd but delighted with anything higher but remember 2nd is only first loser.

With the likes of Suso, Kyle, Driver and Hamill to return I can't see why we can't give them a real scare. Rangers squad isn't as strong as ours in my opinion at the moment. They may change that in the coming weeks. Rangers looked ordinary and without Jelavic they are screwed

Fair point, im still reluctant to say that we can challenge. Like Ryan McGowan was saying on sky its not until we have played everyone that we really know just how good or how bad we are. One good performance at Ibrox doesnt mean we are challengers imo.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It all depends on how gash a manager Ally McCoist is really.

I'd say the players we have brought in aren't good enough to make up a 20+ point gap on the OF but consolidating third would be superb and then we really would have something to build on for next season.

We looked very strong today.

J.T.F.Robertson

You're never going to control a whole 90 minutes against them or their "twin", be it at their places or our's, for that matter. What you really have to do, is make the chances count when you are in the ascendancy, (they will) unfortunately, we didn't. (once more)

At least this time, they didn't get their normal, last minute / time added on, winner. :)

If we get Rudi, Kyle and Driver fit and in top form, we wouldn't be talking about splitting the Old Firm (what a pish ambition that is anyway), we'd be putting in a serious title challenge.

We lost Templeton!

He always gives us an out ball, when he went off we didn't have the same options and the likes of Black started to struggle to find a Hearts player.

Jambothroughandthrough

No offence to the op (genuinely) but I hate when folk say split the OF, if your good enough to finish above one why not the other one?

Personally would be happy with 3rd but delighted with anything higher but remember 2nd is only first loser.

Jumping from 3rd to win the championship is asking a bit much. Clsoing the gap on the Old Firm should be the priority and if we're in a position to split them then I'd take that as it shows progression.

We won't even be anywhere near them

We will be comfortably 1st 20 points ahead if them :thumbsup::ninja:

Benny Factor

Jumping from 3rd to win the championship is asking a bit much. Clsoing the gap on the Old Firm should be the priority and if we're in a position to split them then I'd take that as it shows progression.

This whole "split the Old Firm" nonsense i'll never get my head around.

Very rarely recently has the league been won by more than a few points. If we can split them, then there must be very little difference between splitting them and winning the damn thing.

FWIW, i still think we'll finish 3rd, a good 15-20 points behind.

ToadKiller Dog

The old firm have advantages we will never have and I just dont mean the Gfa. Away games apart from maybe tynecastle are often as good as home games as they are given in a lot of cases half the stadium.

The generally have deeper squads and more quality, we can match them on our day anytime but we have a smaller margin of error due to above.

When we do hit form teams tend to go into the heavy defensive tactics which they do when going to glasgow we due to less quality we struggle more to break that tactic down so lose more stupid goals .

I dont believe ugly players develop a better winning mentally.

The old firm due to there size and influence have to many advantages over a seasons. Thats why we need real changes to the league structure to create a more competitive league.

dont think we can split them. as pointed out one good performance/result at ibrox means nothing, didn't hibs win 3-0 at ibrox last season and look at how they finished.

what i think is possible is that we could close the gap to 2nd to ~15 points. but that is only if we keep the squad fit and suspension free and driver, kyle, suso, skacel etc get fit and firing on all cylinders

Chris Benoit

See your point but it's not something to get over excited about, get closer to top spot yes but really don't care whether that leaves us 2nd or 3rd.

Would take wee cup over 2nd

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Splitting the Old Firm is always a possibility, the title is another thing.

Based on today's evidence, Rangers are catchable at least. That was half a Hearts team out today.

Second is do-able this year. Skacel, Driver, Kyle, Suso...

Mouthwatering.

Jambothroughandthrough

See your point but it's not something to get over excited about, get closer to top spot yes but really don't care whether that leaves us 2nd or 3rd.

Would take wee cup over 2nd

I agree and if we could get within a few points of second that would a brilliant campaign....and the final of the Europa League :lol:

chuckberryno1

Nearly 30 pts to make up.- Thats 3 of the pionts today, another 26 or so to go.

If we can improve our home form then we might be closer, and make 3rd more comfortable, however I think our away form was a bonus last year and will be difficult to repeat.

However, I also think Hearts are set up fpr a more defensive approach and away games might suit our style, as I think we will struggle at home if teams sit in tight and we need to be creative and keep hold of the ball to score/ break teams down.

The crowd can get on players backs too easy as well, which i think adds to the problem and the "panick football" that sets in.

better home form + Mcoist having a Leguen( french dude- spelling, i know) of a season, we could catch them.

I would take a cup over any placing in the league, anyway ( apart from 1st ofc)

If we can split them we can beat them. There is rarely more than a few points between the OF so why the talk of splitting them?

As someone said we had half a side out today, hamill, driver, Kyle, Webster ?!?, can all give us options. We will improve.

Arthur Morgan

I agree mate....

If Davis and Jelavic go missing and they are in big trouble

I agree. To me, Davis and especially Jelavic are the only players in that team that are capable of creating something out of nothing or when they are in need of a goal, they will pop up with 1 usually.

I reckon 2nd is possible but imo I do think Celtic will run away with it this year.

Jambothroughandthrough

Nearly 30 pts to make up.- Thats 3 of the pionts today, another 26 or so to go.

If we can improve our home form then we might be closer, and make 3rd more comfortable, however I think our away form was a bonus last year and will be difficult to repeat.

However, I also think Hearts are set up fpr a more defensive approach and away games might suit our style, as I think we will struggle at home if teams sit in tight and we need to be creative and keep hold of the ball to score/ break teams down.

The crowd can get on players backs too easy as well, which i think adds to the problem and the "panick football" that sets in.

better home form + Mcoist having a Leguen( french dude- spelling, i know) of a season, we could catch them.

I would take a cup over any placing in the league, anyway ( apart from 1st ofc)

Spot on there!!!!!

Stop losing stupid points to the teams we should be beating at home and we're right in the mix. Great point.

LeylandJambo

If we get Rudi, Kyle and Driver fit and in top form, we wouldn't be talking about splitting the Old Firm (what a pish ambition that is anyway), we'd be putting in a serious title challenge.

Judging by Suttons performance today if he keeps that level up then Kyle isn't going to walk straight back into the team I also thought our full backs were very good today

Was watching that game today & was thinking the exact same thing, even with Wallace at left back I don't think the Huns would be any stronger.

Once KK, Rudi & Driver are back in the squad it's going to look alot better that the Huns squad that's for sure.

If JJ can bring 1more player in to this squad we should be looking to split the ugly sisters.

So come on Vlad, release the required funds.

And with the Hobos looking pish, this could be a fantastic season.

Winning the league should be the aim.

This man knows the score. You enter competitions to win them.

To the poster saying we have thirty points to make up. Naw we have no points to make up, it's a new league campaign.

Jambothroughandthrough

I agree. To me, Davis and especially Jelavic are the only players in that team that are capable of creating something out of nothing or when they are in need of a goal, they will pop up with 1 usually.

I reckon 2nd is possible but imo I do think Celtic will run away with it this year.

Jelavic is their top man. I thought he was excellent today. I would have been very worried if they got Miller to play alongside him. They have nothing to replace Jelavic at the moment and it will be interesting to see who they sign as back up to him.

Lets be honest here.....with the likes of McCulloch and Edu in the middle of the park Rangers are pretty ordinary. Squad isn't strong enough at the moment and I hope they get to the Champs Lge. I'm now thinkg Europe could be a distarction for us when we really don't need it because I really do believe that we can make a real impact in the SPL.

Judging by Suttons performance today if he keeps that level up then Kyle isn't going to walk straight back into the team I also thought our full backs were very good today

what would have been good today is bringing a fit kyle on for sutton halfway through the 2nd half when sutton was tiring that would show good depth up top for us and is probably worth 10+ points through a season by grabbing a few draws or sneaking wins (similar to what the OF do on a regular basis)

This man knows the score. You enter competitions to win them.

To the poster saying we have thirty points to make up. Naw we have no points to make up, it's a new league campaign.

that is a good point, mentally if you think they were 30 points ahead of us last season you go into games a bit aprehensive and give your opponents a psychological edge

we will be champions of europe in five years at this rate.

Whilst we have a few players out and with those players i'd fancy we can do very well, its more than likely we'll have chunks of the season where we're without more players. Lose one or two defenders and we're in a very sticky position.

we will be champions of europe in five years at this rate.

Whilst we have a few players out and with those players i'd fancy we can do very well, its more than likely we'll have chunks of the season where we're without more players. Lose one or two defenders and we're in a very sticky position.

We were two first choice defenders down today (Webster and hamill) and competed well against the league champions.

chuckberryno1

Hate to rain on everyone's parade but Rangers are still stronger than Hearts even with the lack of signings, they are still stronger in defence, midfield and Attack than Hearts.

Hearts would need another 2 or 3 quality signings to match them, particulary in midfield.

However, it does appear to be the weakest Rangers team in a number of years, and Hearts could get closer too them. However looking at the squads and being neutral, I would expect Rangers to be above Hearts.

A 1-1 draw is good at Ibrox and if we follow that up with a home win next week then we will better of than last year, thats all you can ask. Hopefully we can do that, take each game as it comes improve on last year and if Rangers are as bad as everyone makes out we can catch them.

KillieMitch

Would love Hearts to split the Old Firm. No way it will happen though. All about consistancy. On ability Hearts might well be closer, I think the 50/50 games will be the ones that will tell. Over the course of the season the Old Firm will win more games they should really draw, draw more games they should really lose etc.

Funny thing is that the Old Firm games are not the ones that matter - earlier posters comment that Hibs won at Ibrox shows that.

LeylandJambo

what would have been good today is bringing a fit kyle on for sutton halfway through the 2nd half when sutton was tiring that would show good depth up top for us and is probably worth 10+ points through a season by grabbing a few draws or sneaking wins (similar to what the OF do on a regular basis)

I still think playing Sutton & Kyle together with Elliott behind them would work on paper there's lots of goals in the team

chuckberryno1

Unsure of this ( post 41), last season even with Hearts dodgy start and end to Season.

We shipped 18 pionts to the old frim last year, 9 a piece. Thats an 18 piont swing to each team.

stick in the 3 home defeats to killie and Motherwell, then Bobs your uncle.

If you want to challenge the gruesome twosome you must pick up pionts against them, 1-1 at Ibrox is a better start.

If you do not take more pionts of them than they do from you but beat the rest, likley hood is you will finish 3rd.

Jambothroughandthrough

Unsure of this ( post 41), last season even with Hearts dodgy start and end to Season.

We shipped 18 pionts to the old frim last year, 9 a piece. Thats an 18 piont swing to each team.

stick in the 3 home defeats to killie and Motherwell, then Bobs your uncle.

If you want to challenge the gruesome twosome you must pick up pionts against them, 1-1 at Ibrox is a better start.

If you do not take more pionts of them than they do from you but beat the rest, likley hood is you will finish 3rd.

Improve our home form against the teams we should be beatng and with results like today and you are spot on.

Make Tynie a fortress and use this as platform to push on and we could be in for a very exciting campaign.

Hate to rain on everyone's parade but Rangers are still stronger than Hearts even with the lack of signings, they are still stronger in defence, midfield and Attack than Hearts.

Hearts would need another 2 or 3 quality signings to match them, particulary in midfield.

However, it does appear to be the weakest Rangers team in a number of years, and Hearts could get closer too them. However looking at the squads and being neutral, I would expect Rangers to be above Hearts.

A 1-1 draw is good at Ibrox and if we follow that up with a home win next week then we will better of than last year, thats all you can ask. Hopefully we can do that, take each game as it comes improve on last year and if Rangers are as bad as everyone makes out we can catch them.

Totally disagree mate, Hearts squad is IMO stronger than the Huns squad, look at the Hearts players who were missing today & we still looked good. In the passed apart from the odd game we never looked confident at Ibrox, not now the players know how strong the squad is.

Fourcandles

Rangers are one tax bill away from big trouble.

Trust me folks HMRC ain't going away and its going to serious for them.

So...for that reason I'm in.

:geek:

Of course we can split the OF but the question is will the SFA let us; :unsure::whistling:

Didn't think you were one for conspiracy theories... :whistling:

Jambothroughandthrough

Totally disagree mate, Hearts squad is IMO stronger than the Huns squad, look at the Hearts players who were missing today & we still looked good. In the passed apart from the odd game we never looked confident at Ibrox, not now the players know how strong the squad is.

100% agree with you there. It will be very interesting to see what Rangers do during this transfer window because they don't have a player to fill the boots of Jelavic if he gets injured.

Rangers are drawing 1-1 at home and don't bring on another striker (Healy) to support Jelavic. That says it all for me. They obviousily don't rate Healy and that is all they have.

The re-signing of Healy and Kerkar if for one reason only....desperate for bodies in their squad. Both these players would struggle to get in our squad never mind our starting 11.

This is what we're up against. There is nothing to fear from Rangers as it stands at the moment in my opinion.

Make Tynie a fortress and use this as platform to push on and we could be in for a very exciting campaign.

I think the fans have a major part to play in this.................Rangers/Celtic/Hibs the atmosphere of hatred from the home fans is great, we need to make the other teams dread coming to Tynecastle.......................they get it easy from the fans.

Archived