Well when?

BigMDV

Now that one of our better players signs for the huns

whether its us, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee utd etc that, every season see

our best players head to Glasgow, question is 'when'?

When the OF decide they want out of Scotland again, when will they make

the lame excuse its because there is no competition here?

hypocrites

Stupid Sexy Flanders

When was the last time one of our best players went to the OF? Paul Hartley? It doesn't happen to us that often since VR took charge, and even with this latest one it's really only happened because of LW's contract situation. If the player is that desperate to go to the OF and if no one else makes an offer, there ain't hellish much anyone, even VR, can do.

This says more about LW's lack of ambition and settling for the easy option than it does about the club or VR.

hypocrites

hypocrites

One thing that seems to have changed is clubs now getting the value for the players when selling to the infirm. I think the way hearts and DUndee utd held firm over the price is a good thing.

But I just don't understand footballers going to either of them when they have the chance of playing in the premiership, seems very low ambition to me. How many players have went to the infirm and then had success down south? Yet those that went directly to premier or champs clubs seem to be doing alright?

Vlad-Stupid

Players use the OF as a stepping stone to the EPL and earn a pretty penny along the way. Don't see what the big fuss over Wallace going to them is, people are acting like there were Prem clubs bashing down our door to get him when in reality the only club interested were Rangers. Anyone that thinks going to Rangers is a sideways career step needs to have a word.

Players use the OF as a stepping stone to the EPL and earn a pretty penny along the way. Don't see what the big fuss over Wallace going to them is, people are acting like there were Prem clubs bashing down our door to get him when in reality the only club interested were Rangers. Anyone that thinks going to Rangers is a sideways career step needs to have a word.

Who has used The move to Glasgow as stepping stone (successfully!), I can't think of any? I think the careers tend to stall when they head to Glasgow. Maybe Lee will be the exception?

Still think it's not a very ambitious move.

madnessjambo

?1.5m for a player who has had serious injuries and made next to no appearances in the last two seasons who has one year of his contract left is a great piece of buisiness.

How many times in the past have Rangers 'stolen' players from us. Vlad has proven he is going to play hard ball and get the maximum ?sss available when it comes to players. Every player has his price no matter which team it is that is offering. Personally I think it is a major gamble on Rangers part but a great piece of business for Hearts. What we don't know is if there is a sell on clause, but given the fee I suspect not.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

?1.5m for a player who has had serious injuries and made next to no appearances in the last two season...

Has it really been the last TWO seasons he's been out injured? I know it was the Scotland game at the start of last season when he got injured, but can't remember it being the case the year before?

madnessjambo

Has it really been the last TWO seasons he's been out injured? I know it was the Scotland game at the start of last season when he got injured, but can't remember it being the case the year before?

I know he was only out last season as a result of the injury sustained in the Scotland game, but my recollection was that he missed a few games the previous season through one injury or another. I could be wrong of course.

Vlad-Stupid

I know he was only out last season as a result of the injury sustained in the Scotland game, but my recollection was that he missed a few games the previous season through one injury or another. I could be wrong of course.

Think he played close to 40 games in total the season before last in all competitions. Only around 13 in all competitions last year. (Not exact figures, just from memory of reading stats yesterday)

could not have put it better myself

We managed to up Rangers from 300k to 1.5 million.. not a bad bit of business.. i reckon a few people on here would have been happy with a million so we got 50% more..

Before Vlad Rangers would have offered 300k and then we would have accepted at 450k... we got over 3 times that now..

For me it's simple.

When players retire they want to look back at their careers and the medals/league titles/national cups they have won through out their career. By joining either side of the old firm the pretty much guarantee's this.

They also want to represent their national side as often as possible. Joining the old firm pretty much guarantee's this aswell as putting a good few ?'s in their bank account.

southside1874

I would have preferred LW to go south but I think we got a fair price for him considering he could have signed pre-contracts soon and more to the point there is a good chance he may have sat in the stand all season. Vlad may have stopped him playing if he didn't sign a contract extension.

I don't like to say it but if he stops that idiot Lennon from winning the league thus removing him from his job, I think it will be a very good bit of business

Guest Bilel Mohsni

JJ said in the paper today that Rangers and a Premiership club were interested in him... The extent of the Premiership club's interest I do not know though, no word of an offer.

I think Lee was really keen on Hunbrox to be honest... ?1.5m in those circumstances probably represents as good a deal as we were ever likely to get.

Sad though. Hate seeing our best former players play against us. Thankfully it happens a lot less these days.

When was the last time one of our best players went to the OF? Paul Hartley? It doesn't happen to us that often since VR took charge, and even with this latest one it's really only happened because of LW's contract situation. If the player is that desperate to go to the OF and if no one else makes an offer, there ain't hellish much anyone, even VR, can do.

This says more about LW's lack of ambition and settling for the easy option than it does about the club or VR.

Except Gordon any player of ours the Old Firm wants, the old firm gets. Sorry but that's a fact of life.

I would saying winning medals, playing in front of 50,000 in the Champions League and playing with better players on double the wages is lack of ambition. He could have made the same cash down in the Championship winning sod all.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Except Gordon any player of ours the Old Firm wants, the old firm gets. Sorry but that's a fact of life.

I would saying winning medals, playing in front of 50,000 in the Champions League and playing with better players on double the wages is lack of ambition. He could have made the same cash down in the Championship winning sod all.

Don't really agree with such a black and white assesment.

We have knocked back the OF on plenty of occasions and have sold players for 1mil plus to clubs outside of Scotland directly.

Gordon and Driver both had OF deals knocked on the head and we have a good record of selling players down south directly.

The problem arrises when players cannot see past the goldfish-bowl and WANT to move to the OF rather than take their chances in a better league. Wallace wanted to go to Rangers... That forced our hand.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Winning medals at the OF is like getting prefect badges for **** sake. :rolleyes:

Hardly a massive achievment in this country winning medals with an OF team. I think it is lack of ambition personally... Unless the plan is to then move down south after winning a few SC, SPL and LC medals at Mordor first.

Don't really agree with such a black and white assesment.

We have knocked back the OF on plenty of occasions and have sold players for 1mil plus to clubs outside of Scotland directly.

Gordon and Driver both had OF deals knocked on the head and we have a good record of selling players down south directly.

The problem arrises when players cannot see past the goldfish-bowl and WANT to move to the OF rather than take their chances in a better league. Wallace wanted to go to Rangers... That forced our hand.

Did Driver knock back the Old Firm? If so well played him. The other players we have sold have been mainly foreigners with an ambition to come here and move down South. For young players growing up here it will be a lot more appealing imo.

Winning medals at the OF is like getting prefect badges for **** sake. :rolleyes:

Hardly a massive achievment in this country winning medals with an OF team. I think it is lack of ambition personally... Unless the plan is to then move down south after winning a few SC, SPL and LC medals at Mordor first.

A medal is a medal no matter how you look at it. Do you think a player really treasures a medal more depending what side he is at? I'm sure if Wallace has a medal or 2 at the end of his career for winning the SPL, a league he has grown up watching all his life it will mean a lot more than playing in the English Championship.

It might not be a massive achievement winning a medal with the OF in the SPL no, but it's a massive achievement for a young Scottish player to move and take part regular for an Old Firm side who wins the league.

Like been stated he has been out a season, so I think his ambition will be to get back to fitness at Rangers, win a place in the side, play in the Champions League and win stuff before hopefully moving to the Premiership. I really can't see the problem with that.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Fair dos but...

The Huns are about as shite as their fans' reputations'.

The Huns will do **** all in the CL! :D have a word!

A player of Wallace's ability should be looking beyong the Championship anyway.

Rangers are vermin and actually a wee bit shit. Most of the medals won there are nowhere near as importqant as career development against better opposition.

A medal is a medal no matter how you look at it. Do you think a player really treasures a medal more depending what side he is at? I'm sure if Wallace has a medal or 2 at the end of his career for winning the SPL, a league he has grown up watching all his life it will mean a lot more than playing in the English Championship.

It might not be a massive achievement winning a medal with the OF in the SPL no, but it's a massive achievement for a young Scottish player to move and take part regular for an Old Firm side who wins the league.

Like been stated he has been out a season, so I think his ambition will be to get back to fitness at Rangers, win a place in the side, play in the Champions League and win stuff before hopefully moving to the Premiership. I really can't see the problem with that.

To counter that myth of 'a medal is a medal', I remember watching the Football years. It covered January 1998 to May 1999. In it they had interviews with, I think, 2 Hearts players who won the cup but left, McCann and Naysmith. At the end McCann was asked which cup was the better win, and I recall him saying something like, "I won a lot with Rangers, but after the set backs in previous cups and the league with Hearts I have to say winning it with them meant more as it meant so much to the fans". Could be a one off, but Naysmith echoed that by saying something like "I wanted a new challenge as how could I top that feeling with Hearts...".

I'd also say boys liie Goodwillie, Conway, Webster and Swanson would all agree with that about Utd, and who of them is at the OF?

I think winning with a non-OF side is better and sweeter, you're the underdog from day 1, yeh they think you can get to the.semis, but win a final? Nah. When you do its all the better as the challenge in overcoming the OF and the Glasgow press is an incredible achievement. Add to that the basic fact that you can tell winning the cup means more to the fans must make it a more well earned medal than winning one with the OF. I'm sure Birmingham players would agree with that after the English League Cup last year.

A medal isn't just a medal, its always best looked at in context, and with smaller clubs it means more away it shows that year we clearly were a great side. It's a shame Wallace never got the chance to win with Hearts, it would've made his departure easier imo.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

To counter that myth of 'a medal is a medal', I remember watching the Football years. It covered January 1998 to May 1999. In it they had interviews with, I think, 2 Hearts players who won the cup but left, McCann and Naysmith. At the end McCann was asked which cup was the better win, and I recall him saying something like, "I won a lot with Rangers, but after the set backs in previous cups and the league with Hearts I have to say winning it with them meant more as it meant so much to the fans". Could be a one off, but Naysmith echoed that by saying something like "I wanted a new challenge as how could I top that feeling with Hearts...".

I'd also say boys liie Goodwillie, Conway, Webster and Swanson would all agree with that about Utd, and who of them is at the OF?

I think winning with a non-OF side is better and sweeter, you're the underdog from day 1, yeh they think you can get to the.semis, but win a final? Nah. When you do its all the better as the challenge in overcoming the OF and the Glasgow press is an incredible achievement. Add to that the basic fact that you can tell winning the cup means more to the fans must make it a more well earned medal than winning one with the OF. I'm sure Birmingham players would agree with that after the English League Cup last year.

A medal isn't just a medal, its always best looked at in context, and with smaller clubs it means more away it shows that year we clearly were a great side. It's a shame Wallace never got the chance to win with Hearts, it would've made his departure easier imo.

You think a lot like me my friend. :thumbsup:

itsnomarooned

I suppose some could argue that Wallace going to Rangers isn't that much different than us getting 4 SPL players from other clubs. I'd echo some of the sentiments on here in that yes he'll get medals etc. with Rangers but it does feel like a slight lack of ambition. As an attacking naturally left-sided player her could have a had 1 or 2 good seasons with a bottom to mid-level E&WPL team and then potentially been picked up by a top team. I suppose that might still happen via Rangers and he's winning medals in the interim.

It just looks minging, him wearing that jersey!

MacDonald Jardine

I suppose some could argue that Wallace going to Rangers isn't that much different than us getting 4 SPL players from other clubs. I'd echo some of the sentiments on here in that yes he'll get medals etc. with Rangers but it does feel like a slight lack of ambition. As an attacking naturally left-sided player her could have a had 1 or 2 good seasons with a bottom to mid-level E&WPL team and then potentially been picked up by a top team. I suppose that might still happen via Rangers and he's winning medals in the interim.

It just looks minging, him wearing that jersey!

Is it really different at all?

Noone on here worries about the potential we'll be far and away the closest challengers to the OF because we're weakening other teams.

well said sir.... one thing that would make players staying at 'smaller' clubs would be wage caps or something similar, so moving to a bigger team doesnt always mean 3 or 4x the wages. I assume wallace will now be on ?12k a week, football aside who can turn that sort of money down. But you are right, for rangers/celtic fans winning a league or cup just means the other one hasnt won it, for us/dundee utd etc winning the cup is the best feeling in the world and a day we remember for the rest of our lifes

Archived