Non Jedward teams in europe since 1990

givememychoice

ring-of-fire

The results

Think this shows why it will be very tricky (not impossible) to get to the group stage of the europa league..

Doesnt look great but good to know that Motherwell played a Norwegian side last year and pumped them so hopefully that outfit that we might get aren't massively better (can't see the league getting alot better in just one season) :thumbsup:

givememychoice

Doesnt look great but good to know that Motherwell played a Norwegian side last year and pumped them so hopefully that outfit that we might get aren't massively better (can't see the league getting alot better in just one season) :thumbsup:

yeah, sadly though they got in as cup winners having finished 13th in the league. It was also their first ever european tie.

Tromso are a lot more experienced....

ring-of-fire

yeah, sadly though they got in as cup winners having finished 13th in the league. It was also their first ever european tie.

Tromso are a lot more experienced....

:lol: well that pisses on my parade doesn't it! s**t :down:

A quick look at that confirms what I suspected - Hearts are the only Scottish team (including the OF) who haven't had a seriously embarrassing result in that period.

We have had a few bad defeats, but so far haven't lost to a real minnow. We've played teams from Estonia, Iceland and Bosnia (twice) and won all of them comfortably.

The lowest ranked side we lost to was Red Star, and that was on away goals - and only five years after Red Star won the European Cup. The next lowest was Dinamo Zagreb, who were a good side (though not as good as we made them look in the first leg).

The result I'm most embarrassed by in that lot was Standard Liege - and that was because (i) it followed the stunning win against Slavia Prague, (ii) they were mediocre, and (iii) we didn't turn up in the home leg at all.

Looking at the top end of the table, what strikes me is the games where we easily could have (and in some cases should have) won the tie. Mallorca (the goal size fiasco), Stuttgart (PETRIC!!!), Bologna (should have taken a 3-0 lead into the second leg) and Bordeaux (won the away leg and were then rubbish at home).

If we lose to Tromso then it will probably rank as our worst European defeat. But then again, they have a better European pedigree over the last few years than we do. So perhaps not.

How come Hibs last victory in a European tie isn't included in there?

Oh aye, it's because it was in 1989. 22 years ago.

22 years!

:verysmug:

Oh, and by the way, our game against Basle has been incorrectly put down as a defeat!

Guess The Crowd

A quick look at that confirms what I suspected - Hearts are the only Scottish team (including the OF) who haven't had a seriously embarrassing result in that period.

We have had a few bad defeats, but so far haven't lost to a real minnow. We've played teams from Estonia, Iceland and Bosnia (twice) and won all of them comfortably.

The lowest ranked side we lost to was Red Star, and that was on away goals - and only five years after Red Star won the European Cup. The next lowest was Dinamo Zagreb, who were a good side (though not as good as we made them look in the first leg).

The result I'm most embarrassed by in that lot was Standard Liege - and that was because (i) it followed the stunning win against Slavia Prague, (ii) they were mediocre, and (iii) we didn't turn up in the home leg at all.

Looking at the top end of the table, what strikes me is the games where we easily could have (and in some cases should have) won the tie. Mallorca (the goal size fiasco), Stuttgart (PETRIC!!!), Bologna (should have taken a 3-0 lead into the second leg) and Bordeaux (won the away leg and were then rubbish at home).

If we lose to Tromso then it will probably rank as our worst European defeat. But then again, they have a better European pedigree over the last few years than we do. So perhaps not.

All good points. Additionally, of course, the stats would only have to go back one further year to incorporate the march to the UEFA quarter-finals in 1989.

givememychoice

Oh, and by the way, our game against Basle has been incorrectly put down as a defeat!

nope, i did it by who qualified.

Basle Qualified, we didnt.

givememychoice

I would largely agree..tbh, i think we have been quite unlucky with the teams we have drawn.

I think it will be a close one in the 3rd QR, but if we get into the 4th, we will struggle.

Midloth_Iain

Its a shame you didnt include Hibs Inter-toto Cup results. That would have made the stats look a bit better.

Or maybe not..... :whistling:

Doc - good post and good shout on Liege. They were decent (and the excellent Marc Wilmots was playing for them) but they pashed all over us from what I remember. And the season after, George Grahams Arsenal beat them 7-0 in Liege!

I really hope we play Paksi!!

givememychoice

Its a shame you didnt include Hibs Inter-toto Cup results. That would have made the stats look a bit better.

Or maybe not..... :whistling:

Added in Intertoto results.

Not included particks 1995 entrance as that was a group thingy. The only team they beat was keflavik from iceland.

Hearts Heritage

Hearts have never had a 'shocking' result in Europe but by the same token they've never had a truly great result over the 'tie' vs a 'better' team.

Some superb victories in first legs have been undone by things not going quite right in the return or other group games

e.g.

• Bayern Munich
  • Bologna
  • Bordeux
  • Basle

Despite Hibs record over the last 20 year they still have a better record than us overall.

Hearts Heritage

Added in Intertoto results.

Not included particks 1995 entrance as that was a group thingy. The only team they beat was keflavik from iceland.

For statistical purposes InterToto should NOT count except in the later years when the later stages doubled for UEFA cup qualification.

They have the same status as the Scottish Qualification Cup.

rossthejambo

nope, i did it by who qualified.

Basle Qualified, we didnt.

The Basel game was a group match though, a win in a group match isn't the same as winning one leg of a tie.

Snake Plissken

Despite Hibs record over the last 20 year they still have a better record than us overall.

Queens Park have a better record than us in the Scottish Cup, overall.

:sweat:

Archived