Tromso/Paksi Travel details

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

Already started looking at flights etc to see how I can possibly make the journey there.

I'm gambling on Tromso if I'm honest, however if you get any cheap deals, post them here and we can see if we can save fellow Jambos a few quid.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot

Already started looking at flights etc to see how I can possibly make the journey there.

I'm gambling on Tromso if I'm honest, however if you get any cheap deals, post them here and we can see if we can save fellow Jambos a few quid.

Feck

http://www.norwegian.com/flight/lowfare/?D_City=LGW&A_City=TOS&skipdadysleft=30

chester copperpot

Was hoping ryanair would be fine, but just checked and they only from Edinburgh to Oslo, but it seems hours away from Oslo :(

Here is a travel advice forum for those willing to pay around the ?100 mark for return flights with ryanair though.

http://www.lonelypla...hreadID=1938848

Nice one mate, I wouldn't mind setting down in Norway and seeing where I go from there.

Mind you, with Ryanair, I wont be able to have any clothes, drink or shite on the flight without it doubling.

Adi Dassler

If it's Tromso then it could be our lowest turn-out in Europe since Dnepr in '91 (30 odd?).

Options on how to get there v. limited and who wants to travel with the club?

Going to cost a small fortune however you do it.

chester copperpot

Nice one mate, I wouldn't mind setting down in Norway and seeing where I go from there.

Mind you, with Ryanair, I wont be able to have any clothes, drink or shite on the flight without it doubling.

Feck me, there aint much difference between a bus trip to Tromso from Edinburgh than it is a bus trip from Oslo.

chester copperpot

If it's Tromso then it could be our lowest turn-out in Europe since Dnepr in '91 (30 odd?).

Options on how to get there v. limited and who wants to travel with the club?

Going to cost a small fortune however you do it.

Absolutely mate, forget Gambo airlines, might have to be Gambo bus/train/flight/train/bus/bus/taxi airways.

It's on the same GPRS line as Greenland, Northern Canada and Siberia.

Mon the Paksi's.

Fly from Edinburgh airport leaves on 24th July which is the only bad thing :down:

Sexton Hardcastle

Skyscanner

London to Tromso

Looks around 295 sobs but involves a change over in Stavanger.

All flight times are local

Check your itinerary

Wed 27 Jul 2011

12:05

LHR London Heathrow

SAS

SK4630

14:55

SVG Stavanger

1h 50

Connect in airport

1h 35

16:30

SVG Stavanger

SAS

SK4184

18:25

TRD Trondheim

1h 55

Connect in airport

1h 50

20:15

TRD Trondheim

SAS

SK4576

21:55

TOS Tromso

1h 40

Fri 29 Jul 2011

06:40

TOS Tromso

SAS

SK4561

09:00

TRD Trondheim

2h 20

Connect in airport

2h 25

11:25

TRD Trondheim

SAS

SK355

12:20

OSL Oslo Gardermoen

0h 55

Connect in airport

4h 50

17:10

OSL Oslo Gardermoen

SAS

SK811

18:30

LHR London Heathrow

2h 20

Radioactive Mince

Where u flying to ?

Budapest mate. Virtually the only place you can fly to. It's only 40 miles from there anyway, Videoton's ground.

chester copperpot

Where u flying to ?

I aint flying to nowhere the now mate, waiting on the result, but it would be handy to have the links to the appropriate venues prior to the cheeky ***** putting their prices up to double the normal ones.

At this rate, I'm leaving Rosyth in one of these:

dingy.jpg

Leaving next Thursday after the games been played. :thumbsup:

I am off my work from the 26th July to 8th august (booked both legs off) so I am definitely going.

I am hoping the Hungarians win but it really is looking very unlikely especially that the Norwegians play on astro turf.

There will be cheap ways to do it ? may just need some proper planning.

I went on a serious detour to Zagreb but did the entire trip (3 nights) for under ?300 (incl. spending money)

I flew to Bologna and got a sleeper train through to Zagreb.

It all makes it more exciting imo.

Tromso is a place you would never go to for an other reason so if it is Tromso then so be it.

If it takes a day to get to then also ? so be it.

....the Norwegians play on astro turf.

Surely UEFA don't allow Europa League games to be played on AstroTurf? If they do, that will give Tromso a massive advantage in home games. :blink:

Radioactive Mince

Any U.K ferries leave to Norway, I'm sure there will be some.

Nope, not since 2008 apparently. Hope I'm wrong like.

chester copperpot

The astro these days mate will be like playing on a grass surface.

Look at where they're based, they would never survive with a grass surface.

Radioactive Mince

I am off my work from the 26th July to 8th august (booked both legs off) so I am definitely going.

I am hoping the Hungarians win but it really is looking very unlikely especially that the Norwegians play on astro turf.

There will be cheap ways to do it ? may just need some proper planning.

I went on a serious detour to Zagreb but did the entire trip (3 nights) for under ?300 (incl. spending money)

I flew to Bologna and got a sleeper train through to Zagreb.

It all makes it more exciting imo.

Tromso is a place you would never go to for an other reason so if it is Tromso then so be it.

If it takes a day to get to then also ? so be it.

You really haven't looked into this very comprehensively have you? I've spent three hours trying to find a way and the best and cheapest way so far unfortunately is to fly direct (ish). 1 stop at Bergen on the way in (4hr 15 total journey time). 1 stop at same on way back.... for 15 hours (overnight). Total journey time around 20hrs. Ciost for two people? ?1000. Cheapest hotel in Tromso I could see was around ?67 per night (I'd be going for four nights) which I suppose isn't bad at all.

Trains are horrifically expensive. Tried that from as far away as Stockholm (?276 return pp for overnight sleeper - flights around the ?150 mark from Edinburgh return). That method requires a 4 hr drive from Narvik to Tromso so the slight saving from flying via Bergen is just not worth it..

There's a ferry from Bergen (I think) to Tromso which takes 85 hours, so that's not viable even if it's cheap.

Hate to say it but bus, chartered boat or plane, as direct a flight as possible as outlined above or teleporter - get to it, UV or any other physics geeks - seems to be the best options.

AND... We're not even sure to play these artificial pitch owning penguin fecking Notherners so if I book up at a grand plus hotel, I only get back ?250 upon cancelling (for my airport taxes) if it's after 24hrs of the booking. I just spoke to a Norwegian called Odd to clarify. :down:

Oh and BTW, I8 - I've done the exact same as you with the leave thing. Spewing. May just cancel the leave if I can't find a viable solution. UEFA suck balls. If it was a definite tie I'd be happy right now, albeit fairly skint :down:

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I'll get working on it. laugh.gif

But seriously, ?300 or so (including a ferry to Belgium) in fuel costs between 3 people is very work-able via car. Or even about ?200 with 4 people though.

chester copperpot

You really haven't looked into this very comprehensively have you? I've spent three hours trying to find a way and the best and cheapest way so far unfortunately is to fly direct (ish). 1 stop at Bergen on the way in (4hr 15 total journey time). 1 stop at same on way back.... for 15 hours (overnight). Total journey time around 20hrs. Ciost for two people? ?1000. Cheapest hotel in Tromso I could see was around ?67 per night (I'd be going for four nights) which I suppose isn't bad at all.

Trains are horrifically expensive. Tried that from as far away as Stockholm (?276 return pp for overnight sleeper - flights around the ?150 mark from Edinburgh return). That method requires a 4 hr drive from Narvik to Tromso so the slight saving from flying via Bergen is just not worth it..

There's a ferry from Bergen (I think) to Tromso which takes 85 hours, so that's not viable even if it's cheap.

Hate to say it but bus, chartered boat or plane, as direct a flight as possible as outlined above or teleporter - get to it, UV or any other physics geeks - seems to be the best options.

AND... We're not even sure to play these artificial pitch owning penguin fecking Notherners so if I book up at a grand plus hotel, I only get back ?250 for my airport taxes if it's after 24hrs of the booking. I just spoke to a Norweigan called Odd to clarify. :down:

Oh and BTW, I8 - I've done the exact same as you with the leave thing. Spewing. May just cancel the leave if I can't find a viable solution. UEFA suck balls. If it was a definite tie I'd be happy but fairly skint right now :down:

Is there perhaps, maybe, a wee chance of a sticky here?

Hopefully the club announce something by the end of the weekend. I'd certainly be willing to pay ?500/600 for a direct flight through the club to Tromso or ?300/400 for a direct flight and travel to Paksi.

You have to weigh up expense with ease and duration of the journey.

Surely when games like these are drawn, travel companies would be fighting to get a direct flight set up asap, especially for clubs with a large travelling support.

Midloth_Iain

Is there perhaps, maybe, a wee chance of a sticky here?

Or a merge with the other thread and a sticky

Radioactive Mince

I'll get working on it. laugh.gif

But seriously, ?300 or so (including a ferry to Belgium) in fuel costs between 3 people is very work-able via car. Or even about ?200 with 4 people though.

Mate, seriously. Maybe my Amsterdam idea would push the budget :smoking::kiss: but you will need to stop at the very least once to sleep in a proper bed. Made all the difference on the trip to Braga believe me. There's no way 4 or 5 guys are driving to Tromso sleeping in the car.

Edinburgh to Oslo, Wednesday to Friday is ?73 with Ryanair

Norwegian have about 6 flights a day from Oslo to Tromso at around ?100 each way.

Looks like the best way to me, unless I'm missing something?

Hopefully the club announce something by the end of the weekend.

I'd doubt that Statto.

To be fair to Hearts they'll probably struggle to get much done over the weekend. I'd imagine they'll also struggle to get a plane/planes at a sensible price at this time of year.

:blink:

cheapest way to do it is flight to oslo, then another flight to tromso, works out just over ?300

Radioactive Mince

Norwegian have about 6 flights a day from Oslo to Tromso at around ?100 each way.

What are the transfers like time-wise?

That seems good. Maybe I've been a bit one-dimensional in my flight search.

EDIT: Is that ?73 one-way with Ryanair? And what is the full cost after their ridiculous add-ons and card fees? Still seems like it'll be cheaper than ?490 return to be fair

cheapest way to do it is flight to oslo, then another flight to tromso, works out just over ?300

This is the Norwegian summer season, probably very difficult to get a seat from Oslo to Tromso. Flight also from Gatwick to Tromso but again may be difficult to book a seat.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Mate, seriously. Maybe my Amsterdam idea would push the budget :smoking::kiss: but you will need to stop at the very least once to sleep in a proper bed. Made all the difference on the trip to Braga believe me. There's no way 4 or 5 guys are driving to Tromso sleeping in the car.

True. I hadn't factored in stops and stuff. Just pure travel costs.

With stops etc, probably looking at ?500.

This is the Norwegian summer season, probably very difficult to get a seat from Oslo to Tromso. Flight also from Gatwick to Tromso but again may be difficult to book a seat.

i checked the website, it came out as 177 pound return, again you are right that come next week these flights may not be there due to demand.

Radioactive Mince

Expedia gave me flights from London(change Oslo)3 nights in a hotel for ?588

I only tried Skyscanner TBH as well as a few operators who flew to Tromso from UK.

FTH - must do better, or at least shut up.

But seriously guys, how long do these journeys take because the 40 min wait between flights at Bergen on the way in seems as little a wait as there is?

I'm sorta trying to balance cost with convenience. What are the rough total journey durations (including getting down to London and what's the cost of that?)

Absolutely mate, forget Gambo airlines, might have to be Gambo bus/train/flight/train/bus/bus/taxi airways.

It's on the same GPRS line as Greenland, Northern Canada and Siberia.

Mon the Paksi's.

have to agree, hungary's gonna be the cheapest but im thinking nearest airport is budapest about 70 mile away from ground

Ryan Air fly to Sandefjord Torp airport about 2 hours to Oslo by coach. Oslo Airport is at Gardemoen which is 40 min from Oslo city by train.

Allow plenty of time and enjoy the country.

What are the transfers like time-wise?

That seems good. Maybe I've been a bit one-dimensional in my flight search.

EDIT: Is that ?73 one-way with Ryanair? And what is the full cost after their ridiculous add-ons and card fees? Still seems like it'll be cheaper than ?490 return to be fair

Outbound - arrive in Oslo(Torp) at 16.50. Flight to Tromso at 20.30 although it's from Oslo(Gardermoen) so this may scupper the plan?

Return - arrive in Oslo(Gardermoen) at 13.20. Flight to Edinburgh at 16.50 from Oslo(Torp).

chester copperpot

have to agree, hungary's gonna be the cheapest but im thinking nearest airport is budapest about 70 mile away from ground

Aye but a taxi's much cheaper than a fecking bus from Oslo to Tromso. It's nearly a thousand miles (maybe not, but it looks that way on the map)

Sorry, dont know what I was saying there.

Radioactive Mince

Outbound - arrive in Oslo(Torp) at 16.50. Flight to Tromso at 20.30 although it's from Oslo(Gardermoen) so this may scupper the plan?

Return - arrive in Oslo(Gardermoen) at 13.20. Flight to Edinburgh at 16.50 from Oslo(Torp).

There is nearly 100 miles between the two airports. The way in would be ok provided transport was cheap enough but the way back may be very dodgy indeed should the first plane be late or traffic be bad etc

Radioactive Mince

Sure Paksi are playing their Euro games at Videoton's ground which is only about 40 miles from Budapest.

There is nearly 100 miles between the two airports. The way in would be ok provided transport was cheap enough but the way back may be very dodgy indeed should the first plane be late or traffic be bad etc

Train from Sandefjord to Gardemoen takes about 3 hours.

167 kms apart

Radioactive Mince

Train from Sandefjord to Gardemoen takes about 3 hours.

167 kms apart

Even the inbound journey is flying (punnery not intended) by the seat of your pants stuff - in fact, impossible. Did that going to Prague via Luton on way out & Dortmund on way back on tenner flights or some cheap shit like that. Got burned severely when we missed the Luton connection to Prague due to the Edinburgh flight being well late. We had to get the Thames link train to Gatwick which took hours then wait all night there for a flight to Prague in the morning. Not a good experience at all. The way back was fine, though :)

Midloth_Iain

Heart of Midlothian FC today announces that TMG Sport has been appointed as the club's official travel partner for the forthcoming UEFA Europa League campaign.

Jim Jefferies' side enters the competition on Thursday, July 28, when they will travel to either Hungary or Norway.

After last season's successful campaign and TMG Sport will handle all of the Edinburgh club's travel requirements.

The club will be announcing travel package details shortly.

"TMG Sport has unparalleled experience in the sports travel market and we are delighted to have them on board again for our latest European adventure," said Hearts director Vitalijus Vasiliauskas.

"They have worked with us for all our European travel since the 1990s and are an expert in their field."

Fans wishing to register their interest in details of all the club's official tours as soon as they are released can do so by clicking here.

Radioactive Mince

Muppet statement - do not take this stupid advice. I mis-read. Both gaps are nearly the same. For some reason I had the outbound journey as an hour more of a gap.

Me ---> :Vlad-Stupid:

Wednesday 27th

Edinburgh 20.45 to Oslo(Gardermoen) 23.35 - ?86.50

Thurday 28th

Oslo(Gardermoen)08.55 to Tromso 10.50 - ?77.10

Friday 29th

Tromso 11.20 to Oslo(Gardermoen) 13.20 - ?130.60

Oslo(Gardermoen) 19.20 to Edinburgh 20.15 - ?89.00

Total - ?383.20

All through the Norwegian website.

paksi will be no problem to get to, even fly into budprest, bratislava, graz are all under a 4 hour drive.

Radioactive Mince

Wednesday 27th

Edinburgh 20.45 to Oslo(Gardermoen) 23.35 - ?86.50

Thurday 28th

Oslo(Gardermoen)08.55 to Tromso 10.50 - ?77.10

Friday 29th

Tromso 11.20 to Oslo(Gardermoen) 13.20 - ?130.60

Oslo(Gardermoen) 19.20 to Edinburgh 20.15 - ?89.00

Total - ?383.20

All through the Norwegian website.

That's damn good buddy. Well, what I mean is it's not as bad. A bit of waiting about on the outbound but I'd be waiting much longer on the way home going via Bergen. Thing is I was gonna fly out Wednesday and return Sunday night/Monday morning. Maybe that's why my quote was so dear.

I'm not even gonna bother looking 'til next Thursday and if it's went up too much, I'll just take the Mrs on holiday somewhere hot, unless it's Paksi (please let it be Paksi).

Good work, though. Especially flying in/out of Edinburgh instead of Aberdeen or London :thumbsup:

Archived