Cape town

IronJambo

Hot on the heels of my USA thread I wanted to quiz anyone in the know about driving in Cape Town as we're there for a few days as part of our honeymoon in September. We already have a wine tour booked so we don't need a car for that. I'm just thinking about reaching places like Boulders beach and Cape Point, will it be a pain in the ass without a car? I'd rather not hire one if its not needed but not at the expense of missing out.

Hot on the heels of my USA thread I wanted to quiz anyone in the know about driving in Cape Town as we're there for a few days as part of our honeymoon in September. We already have a wine tour booked so we don't need a car for that. I'm just thinking about reaching places like Boulders beach and Cape Point, will it be a pain in the ass without a car? I'd rather not hire one if its not needed but not at the expense of missing out.

First time we went we hired a tour guide for the day. I can't remember how much it was, but it wasn't too much. It was great to have all the driving done for you, it means you can have a drink with lunch and get a good look at the jaw-dropping scenery around the Cape. Driving in Cape Town itself, especially the motorways, is pretty mental. We got into a taxi one time - the guy had a wee TV on the dashboard!!

If you do drive yourself then keep your windows closed and doors locked - the baboons around Cape Point aren't scared of humans. They look cute until you see their teeth....

broughies tach

Your not related to Shrien Dewani are you :whistling:

Your not related to Shrien Dewani are you :whistling:

:lol: That happened a few days after we booked our trip.

Then this happened a few weeks later at our third and final destination (different hotel though, ours is much posher) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346018/Michaela-Harte-murder-Honeymoon-bride-strangled-Mauritius-hotel.html

heartsfc_fan - I'd be surprised if it was ahead of Jo'burg in any crime stats

defo get a car or get a hire driver.

was in CT in Feb and the best way to see the place at your own pace is with a car. We covered about 400km in the 3 days we had the car :) get a sat nav for sure though - cost us about an extra R11 (?1!) a day. AND book in advance - we were with Europcar from the airport and cost us (read: me!) ?80 for the 3 days. Well worth it.

The White Cockade

Need a car

Public transport is a no no

You will have a great time though - stunning place

and despite the nonsense thread in the Shed - brilliant people

Be prepared though - prices are going through the roof over there

defo get a car or get a hire driver.

was in CT in Feb and the best way to see the place at your own pace is with a car. We covered about 400km in the 3 days we had the car :) get a sat nav for sure though - cost us about an extra R11 (?1!) a day. AND book in advance - we were with Europcar from the airport and cost us (read: me!) ?80 for the 3 days. Well worth it.

looks like you were done. these bandits are quoting me ?61 for my 4 days. surely a cab from the airport to my hotel and back would cost half of that at least? i need to get in touch with my hotel to find out if they've got parking or not and that'll probably be a clincher.

Archived