Scottish Week in America

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Easily the most pointless and annoying exercise known to man. Loads of very smug non entities mincing around in tartan looking very very pleased with themselves. Z class celebrities claiming the most tenious of links to Scotland. And the obligitary MSP's brown-nosing their way through a free jolly. Why oh why are we subjected to this every year. The papers seem to come in thier sporans whenever this (non)event comes round. Utter utter sheeyte. And borderline embarrising and patronising to boot.

christhejambo

I find it rather cringeworthy that Salmond (or whoever) will be kissing the erse of these so called celebs, who's only contribution to Scotland has been to sod off to some tax haven as soon as they get a bit of cash. Pointless exercise. Wonder if Smeato will be wheeled out for this too??

Salmond is in the US giving lectures, and trying to convince business to come to Scotland.

Scottish week is meh. I'm not fussed, if minor celebs want to dress up and promote Scotland then that's fine by me. It's no skin off by back.

cludgie, our sister & her boyfriend, oh and meeeeeeee will all the there for the parade on saturday, i'll remember not to show you any pics ;)

Craig Gordons Gloves

I was in New York for it last year - the tartan day parade is quite a good laugh and makes you feel homesick when you havent been home for a few months. As far as i can tell, its all about increasing scotlands profile with US business - and i cant really see what is all that bad about it - the more investment in scotland, the more we can invest internally. Although the tourism element this year will be a bloody hard sell when you think about the fact that a ****ty wee hotel room in edinburgh will cost about $200 a night with the current exchange rate.

St Paddy's day does it for the Irish and we get Tartan Week, good way to promote Scotland for tourism and they also have events where businesses promote products etc etc. Self promotion to boost the economy and hopefully create jobs is a good thing and y'know the yanks, they love to think we all sit around in kilts and eat haggis so they can claim they were descended from Robert the Bruce and William Wallace.....eh Mr McCain ;)

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I dont have a problem with attracting American investment into Scotland, but I do have a problem with smug borderline Scots poncing down a catwalk in a kilt. Surely theres more to Scotland than tartan and whisky and shortbread and all the rest.

And I cant see much point in attracting inward investment from America, when jumped up NIMBY merchants in local councils are going to throw out plans that could generate millions of pounds and create hundreds of jobs. If i was Donald Trump I wold tell them to ram it and go to Ireland

Marmeladent?rtchen

Cracking idea, good chance to advertise Scotland as a place to visit, Scottish products to buy, and a place to do business.

Lets hope Salmon can convince some Yanks to set the European operations in Scotland. I will some credit to the SNP/ Salmon if he does.

I don't at all feel patronised I feel honoured.

Archived