Celtic Bashing on the St Pauli message board

Carshalton Hearts

Carshalton Hearts

The attached may be of some interest as we get a mention. The post is from a Hobbo but the content regarding the great unwashed from the west will no doubt make the history revisionists squirm that their murky past is being disclosed to their German friends.

I wonder who her boyfriend is

"Hi - I am a new convert to FC ST Pauli having visited the club for your game against Jena this year. My reasons for supporting this team is due to the anti-racist stance of the fans and club and their resistance against corporate football. I think that is probably main factors for most St Pauli fans based in Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland.

The anti-racist stance is very important for me being a mixed race (halfIndian half Irish) girl. In Scotland I am a supporter of Hibernian FC who thankfully have a working class anti racist fan base and who have always welcomed myself and my late father when he used to take me when I was younger. To be fair to most Scottish club fans we never had any issues (even from Hearts). Sadly the only time we had any issues was from Celtic fans on a visit to Easter Road in the early 80's.

Now, I am well aware that generally Celtic fans have an anti racist outlook, but then I would say the same for most Scottish fans (maybe with the exception of Hearts and Rangers although my boyfriend is a Hearts fan and he and his mates are staunchly anti fascist/anti loyalist). However since finding out about the St Pauli/Celtic friendship I have to say that the image which is being created of Celtic as somehow being different from the rest of the fans in Scotland with regards to anti fascism as being somewhat hypocritical. Maybe my own experience of them has created this.

As said above at a game inthe early 80's my father and myself were walking out of the main stand at Easter Road into the main body of Celtic fans coming out of the Dunbar End. This is something that we done every home game without problems but that day changed things so that we moved to the seated enclosure Cave End behind the goals so we wouldn't walk into the away fans again and my dad never went to another game v Celtic.That day he was jeered at with the usual remarks made (and we aren't Pakistani we are Indian) and as he rushed to get me away someone spat in his face. I was 11 year old and was terrified and that memory has stayed with me ever since.

This isn't a one off - what about Mark Walters debut for Rangers at Celtic park when the Celtic fans made monkey chants (listen to the link below and it is not a minority) and threw banannas at him. This also happened to a lesser extent at Hearts the following week but whereas the Scottish press ignored what happened at Parkhead they hung Hearts out to dry.

I read an article on the St Pauli CSC site from a St Pauli fan who stated his views on Celtic fans as somehow being different from the other fans and it is this which has raised my ire somewhat. Especially as he stated that it was the Irishness of the celtic fans which resulted in their friendly tolerant nature which would indicate that Scottishness does not possess those qualities. The accolades of the Tartan Army must therefore be a myth. The truth is, in Scotland, the supporters of all the other teams fans with the exception of small minorities at Hearts and possibly Airdrie have no interest in the sectarian politics of Ireland and believe that there is no place for it in Scottish football. The continuing obsession of Rangers fans with their vocal support for the loyalists and UDA etc and Celtic fans for their vocal support for the republican movement and the IRA etc has sickened the majority of respectable fans at other clubs. Why do they think that we want to listen to people chanting praise to terror groups who have the blood of innocent victims on their hands. For instance when Celtic played at Old Trafford in a friendly not very long after the Arndale Centre was bombed by the IRA with many shoppers being murdered they sang their IRA songs and wondered why there was a bit of trouble from the locals after the match!!All the Hibs and hearts fans I know despise the Old Firm equally and do not differentiate between them in any way.

I would stress that I am not suggesting that Celtic are in anyway more racist than any other fans - despite my personal experience of them I realised that it was a few idiots combined with the herd mentality of the crowd that caused us problems - basically we were in the wrong place at the wrong time. What I am saying that from what I am seeing in connection with the St Pauli link that there appears that there is a view that Celtic fans somehow have an untainted past and this is simply not true. I don't want to wind people up or anger them but I am realistic enough to expect that this will happen - it was not my intention.

Forza Hibernian and St Pauli (oh and Rayo Vallecano)"

Carl Weathers

Now, I am well aware that generally Celtic fans have an anti racist outlook, but then I would say the same for most Scottish fans (maybe with the exception of Hearts and Rangers

:mad:

Carshalton Hearts
Now, I am well aware that generally Celtic fans have an anti racist outlook, but then I would say the same for most Scottish fans (maybe with the exception of Hearts and Rangers

Typical Hobbo rubbish really but no more than you would expect from them

what about Mark Walters debut for Rangers at Celtic park when the Celtic fans made monkey chants (listen to the link below and it is not a minority) and threw banannas at him. This also happened to a lesser extent at Hearts the following week but whereas the Scottish press ignored what happened at Parkhead they hung Hearts out to dry.

Correct.

This is of course, more delusion by the hibbees. To even begin to claim they have a whiter than white record when it comes to anti or non - racism is absolute nonsense. Some of the leading lights of the CCS joined the BNP (and were kicked up and down the street by AFA). The infamous "edinburgh is wonderful" song originated from those working class anti racist hibernians. As for any conections between hibs and st pauli - this is an absolute myth.

However...

http://stpaulifansuk.forumup.co.uk/forum-15-stpaulifansuk.html

This is of course, more delusion by the hibbees. To even begin to claim they have a whiter than white record when it comes to anti or non - racism is absolute nonsense. Some of the leading lights of the CCS joined the BNP (and were kicked up and down the street by AFA). The infamous "edinburgh is wonderful" song originated from those working class anti racist hibernians. As for any conections between hibs and st pauli - this is an absolute myth.

However...

http://stpaulifansuk.forumup.co.uk/forum-15-stpaulifansuk.html

Not to mention the "Skacel Refugee" song which wasn't racist at all :confused:

That's why a couple of thousand of them sung it at Tynecastle.

In a general sense, I always thought Hibs got a very easy ride when it comes to racism. I know a good few Hibs fans who pride themselves on the whole CCS/racist scene. It's never mentioned though, yet we're constantly branded right wing nazi bigots.

Carshalton Hearts

The author of the CCS book has been seen in the 80's walking about Edinburgh with a T Shirt of main racist skinhead band Skrewdriver - but as you say they never seem to take any flak for it

Theirs plenty celtic bashing on follow follow as well mate doesn't really mean I want to log on over their. St Pauli a team for Left wing Germans who seem to have a love affair with celtic says it all really :rolleyes:

P.S I'm glad that Hearts/St Pauli flag got burnt well apart from the Hearts bit I suppose :1232:

Buffalo Bill

Hibernian fans: working class, warrior poets; pillars of society.

Celtic fans: What with Seville, St Pauli, Liverpool and Man Utd; they must be the biggest crawlers in world football.

Pass me the sick bucket. Pass me two sick buckets.

GORGIE RULES!

Buffalo Bill

I've spent the last 20 minutes looking over that St Pauli/Hearts page ( http://stpaulifansuk.forumup.co.uk/forum-15-stpaulifansuk.html ) and I'm just sickened. Hijacked by the filthiest, bigoted, knuckle dragging half wits in Europe, the sellic fans ("Best fans in the world"TM).

Threads over there concerning the certain songs that we're (imo, rightly) not allowed to sing anymore and you've got some plastic paddy trying to say that them singing "up the ra" is political and not racist/bigoted.

"Celtic ~ St Pauli The Rebels Choice" as one of their posters has in his sig.

Why do sellic fans feel the need to jump on any bandwagon going? Are they so repressed that any way out of the impoverished, downtrodden culture that they revel in is so attractive to them that they feel they can take the moral high ground on every issue under the sun? They have no morals, they are terrorist glorifying s c u m and for them to try to take a high moral stance, even to try to justify their support of terrorism, implicitly in aligning themselves with anti-fascist/racist organizations and explicitly in their denial of wrongdoing and the constant claims that it's a minority who indulge in such things, sickens me.

I was dismayed to read that UEFA had dropped it's investigation into their bigotry, I had hoped that they might be exposed for what they are, but alas, someone must have believed in the traditional/political/harmless expression of culture/history myth.

I suppose if they had been fined they would simply have invented some other equally disgusting offensive song to wind the rest of Scottish football up with a la their equally revolting cousins and their *** ( edit: I'm not allowed to mention large Mr Stein's awareness then?) campaign.

In a week where the focus on JKB has been the GFA's attitude of preferential treatment to rantic in all aspects of the game I struggle with the hypocrisy and iniquity of the whole game.

To be honest the op talks a lot of biased tripe from her own view point and rose tinted spectacles. As someone who has experienced racism I would say that Scotland as a society has a problem. Hibs are no better than us and we are no better than Celtic its not something we can point score on. We have had the BNP outside Tynecastle in years gone by trying to recruit new members. Hibs have had racist organisations infiltrate their casuals. Its more ignorance that ****es me off, which Scotland is great for, the whole "Nice coloured guy from down the road" or as Doug put it "Get back to your shop!!". Some people need to get a grip and treat people the way they would like to be treated themselves no more no less.

St Pauli on the other hand are a German team, a country with its own problems, why does anyone want to associate themselves with them other than to wear the right on lefty badge.

Commander Harris
I've spent the last 20 minutes looking over that St Pauli/Hearts page ( http://stpaulifansuk.forumup.co.uk/forum-15-stpaulifansuk.html ) and I'm just sickened. Hijacked by the filthiest, bigoted, knuckle dragging half wits in Europe, the sellic fans ("Best fans in the world"TM).

Threads over there concerning the certain songs that we're (imo, rightly) not allowed to sing anymore and you've got some plastic paddy trying to say that them singing "up the ra" is political and not racist/bigoted.

"Celtic ~ St Pauli The Rebels Choice" as one of their posters has in his sig.

Why do sellic fans feel the need to jump on any bandwagon going? Are they so repressed that any way out of the impoverished, downtrodden culture that they revel in is so attractive to them that they feel they can take the moral high ground on every issue under the sun? They have no morals, they are terrorist glorifying s c u m and for them to try to take a high moral stance, even to try to justify their support of terrorism, implicitly in aligning themselves with anti-fascist/racist organizations and explicitly in their denial of wrongdoing and the constant claims that it's a minority who indulge in such things, sickens me.

I was dismayed to read that UEFA had dropped it's investigation into their bigotry, I had hoped that they might be exposed for what they are, but alas, someone must have believed in the traditional/political/harmless expression of culture/history myth.

I suppose if they had been fined they would simply have invented some other equally disgusting offensive song to wind the rest of Scottish football up with a la their equally revolting cousins and their *** ( edit: I'm not allowed to mention large Mr Stein's awareness then?) campaign.

In a week where the focus on JKB has been the GFA's attitude of preferential treatment to rantic in all aspects of the game I struggle with the hypocrisy and iniquity of the whole game.

:bravo:

post of the week :)

To be honest the op talks a lot of biased tripe from her own view point and rose tinted spectacles. As someone who has experienced racism I would say that Scotland as a society has a problem. Hibs are no better than us and we are no better than Celtic its not something we can point score on. We have had the BNP outside Tynecastle in years gone by trying to recruit new members. Hibs have had racist organisations infiltrate their casuals. Its more ignorance that ****es me off, which Scotland is great for, the whole "Nice coloured guy from down the road" or as Doug put it "Get back to your shop!!". Some people need to get a grip and treat people the way they would like to be treated themselves no more no less.

St Pauli on the other hand are a German team, a country with its own problems, why does anyone want to associate themselves with them other than to wear the right on lefty badge.

Well said.

She makes good points but it's hard to take them seriously when you know she has the blinkers on herself.

Racism exists at just about every major club in Britain. Just because we are better, than say Spain or Italy, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

jamboinglasgow

let me just wade in here.

I searched wikipedia for st pauli as I had never heard of them before and it had this paragraph:

St. Pauli are also known for their close links with many other foreign clubs and enjoy a particularly close friendship with Celtic with St. Pauli fans attending Celtic games on the continent when Celtic play UEFA competitions. St Pauli flags and scarves are frequently seen on display at Celtic Park and every year Celtic supporters arrive in Hamburg for the annual St Pauli - Celtic Festival.

To be quite frank it makes me sick how Celtic are seen in the eyes of the media and those outside Scotland. THey are the honest rouges, the safehaven for victims, the best fans in the world, the anti-bigots. This is of course an absoloute rubbish.

They sing songs about the IRA. They claim that they are singing of the IRA's struggle to gain Irish independence but if you have ever heard bono (a true Irishman) he says that is ridiculas. It may be fair to sing songs about a group that helped gain freedom if they hadn't gone and killed many innocent people since. And just to clarrify loyalist groups are just as bad, I dont take sides just stating a point.

here Bono makes the point: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c9c4lLnY0rA

As for anti-racist, they said racist things for years and get away with it.

best supporters in the world? 200,000 appear at Seville, yet there is bearly 20,000 when we play them in the C.I.S. cup back in October and numerous other home games since. Fans who hate the manager even when he wins them the league twice, the scottish cup, the CIS cup, their best posistion in the champions league twice just cos he isn't one of them.

anti-bigotry: to them bigotry is something that rangers do as they sing only wonderful folk songs.

I am not for one second saying this doesn't happen in other Scottish clubs and even hearts, it does. I think its shameful and needs to be stopped, I think of myself as anti-racist, anti-sexist and anti-bigot. Its just the hyprocitical nature of Celtic and its fans to think that these only happen with other clubs and that it can do no wrong.

Ryan Gosling

We got into the stadium about 30/35 mins before ko to try and find a place to hang the flag but this proved difficult. 100's of flags/banners had been put in place, some great one's at that I must say. But as ko approached I noticed an increased number of UJ's getting put up.

Anyway the match started and in between watching the game I was also trying to keep an eye on the flag. (I was not in the same area). Nearing HT I noticed that it had gone so when the HT whistle blew I went round and asked the guys in that area about it. They told me some guys came up and took it down. I had a look around but found nothing. On returning home I contacted my St Pauli/Hearts colleagues and they made some inquiries. To cut a long story short the flag was torched.....

The surprising but pleasant thing to come out of this incident was the reaction and some support I got from Jambos pleased to see someone standing up against the neanderthals.

One thing's for sure they now know we are here.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Can hardly blame that one on Hearts/Hearts fans - what control do they have over where any political parties (if you can label that moronic lot as such) attempt to drum up membership?

Back the the op on the St. Pauli board - whats with the constant references to Hearts n regards to racism. Us and Rangers are the only teams with a racist element? You're gonna get the odd backward, narrow minded racist in every football ground, it hardly qualifies as an "element of the support". I'm not even sure you could tar the huns with brush (sectarian most certainly, but its pushing it say they have a racist element, again, several indivuduals maybe, as with any large gathering of people). Yes we still have a (these days it seems far less apparant) small problem with sectarianism, but to lump us in with the huns is a bit much. Curiously, there's a total omission of any examples portraying hibs in a bad light.

200milesfromgorgie

but St Pauli are ace that swhat we need to take from this post.

St. Pauli opens its home matches with AC/DC's Hells' Bells, and after every home goal Song 2 by Blur is played, turning the stadium into a giant mosh pit.

A rivalry developed between St. Pauli and Hansa Rostock in the early 90's because of the number of neo-Nazis among Hansa supporters at that time. As Hansa brought these groups under control and eventually banned them, the rivalry faded and died

St. Pauli is very proud of having what is probably the last non-electronic scoreboard in the upper leagues. After every goal, a worker manually updates the scoreboard by taking down and then replacing a number placard how cool is that?????? and they wear brown!

St Pauli and Celtc - what a joke, you couldn't get 2 more different clubs.

Celtc : Big club with filthy knuckledragging psycho bigot fans who've played pretty well and won a lot over the years.

St Pauli : Small club with trendy, right-on fans, these days mostly arts students or media types wearing designer glasses and urbanwear, who've been Tom Kite for the whole of their existence and won the square root of F all.

And of course FTH.

I remember the Walters game I was right at the corner as sed to stand there to get on tv

bananas were raining down looking back I am sure the people throwing the bananas had bought them from the Pakistani shop

sums these people up

Colonel Kurtz
I remember the Walters game I was right at the corner as sed to stand there to get on tv

bananas were raining down looking back I am sure the people throwing the bananas had bought them from the Pakistani shop

sums these people up

I was\ also at the game and much worse racism took place at the OF game that season.

The media have airbrushed this incident out of history.

However thia and The kevin Harper incident both brought disgrace to the clubs name

Ray Winstone
Can hardly blame that one on Hearts/Hearts fans - what control do they have over where any political parties (if you can label that moronic lot as such) attempt to drum up membership?

Back the the op on the St. Pauli board - whats with the constant references to Hearts n regards to racism. Us and Rangers are the only teams with a racist element? You're gonna get the odd backward, narrow minded racist in every football ground, it hardly qualifies as an "element of the support". I'm not even sure you could tar the huns with brush (sectarian most certainly, but its pushing it say they have a racist element, again, several indivuduals maybe, as with any large gathering of people). Yes we still have a (these days it seems far less apparant) small problem with sectarianism, but to lump us in with the huns is a bit much. Curiously, there's a total omission of any examples portraying hibs in a bad light.

There are a lot of contradictions in the opening post.

My ire has not been assuaged.

It's utterly bizarre that celtic fans should try to take the moral high ground against right wing politics and nazism in particular. The celtic fan's allegiance to the Church of Rome is undoubted, although a generalisation, it's no stretch to suggest that most celtic fans are catholics and most catholic football fans, outside Edinburgh (and a fair few inside) would choose to follow celtic.

Do they not realise that for hundreds of years the Church of Rome has been complicit in anti-semitism, from the earliest days of Christianity in fact, when the Jews were almost solely blamed for the death of Christ, a fact reflected in Mel Gibson's take on The Passion of Christ, right through to the Catholic church's refusal to explicitly condemn the rise and activity of the Third Reich, including the murder of 6 million Jews.

It wasn't the Church of Rome who stood against the nazis, it was the British establishment and the British Army (including many catholic individuals), establishments many celtic fans are happy to condemn (FTQ etc). It would make more sense historically for the huns to get on with the fans of St Pauli!

I'm not saying at all, that this is the case for all catholics, then or now, and I'm not saying that this is the case for all celtic fans, but as a generalisation it makes no sense and conveniently brushes over the sins of the fathers (in every sense of the word).

kennygarland1
My ire has not been assuaged.

It's utterly bizarre that celtic fans should try to take the moral high ground against right wing politics and nazism in particular. The celtic fan's allegiance to the Church of Rome is undoubted, although a generalisation, it's no stretch to suggest that most celtic fans are catholics and most catholic football fans, outside Edinburgh (and a fair few inside) would choose to follow celtic.

Do they not realise that for hundreds of years the Church of Rome has been complicit in anti-semitism, from the earliest days of Christianity in fact, when the Jews were almost solely blamed for the death of Christ, a fact reflected in Mel Gibson's take on The Passion of Christ, right through to the Catholic church's refusal to explicitly condemn the rise and activity of the Third Reich, including the murder of 6 million Jews.

It wasn't the Church of Rome who stood against the nazis, it was the British establishment and the British Army (including many catholic individuals), establishments many celtic fans are happy to condemn (FTQ etc). It would make more sense historically for the huns to get on with the fans of St Pauli!

I'm not saying at all, that this is the case for all catholics, then or now, and I'm not saying that this is the case for all celtic fans, but as a generalisation it makes no sense and conveniently brushes over the sins of the fathers (in every sense of the word).

I bear no ill will to any religion,but imo,the leaders of the catholic church for centuries have been corrupt both morally and financially.A huge percentage of their fellow catholics live in abject poverty while all they do is rape them financially and physically.

John Findlay

I was going to comment last night but mulled it over but, after once again reading the OP's original post. I am convinced more than ever that.

1. They are not female

2. Are not of Irish/Indian origin.

John

St Pauli and Celtc - what a joke, you couldn't get 2 more different clubs.

Celtc : Big club with filthy knuckledragging psycho bigot fans who've played pretty well and won a lot over the years.

St Pauli : Small club with trendy, right-on fans, these days mostly arts students or media types wearing designer glasses and urbanwear, who've been Tom Kite for the whole of their existence and won the square root of F all.

And of course FTH.

A club where most of the fans are trendy :unsure: right-on art students or media types. In the words of Charlie Brown "good grief" they really do sound gay. I don't really think it was written by a Irish/Indian female hibs fan either.

jamboinglasgow
I was going to comment last night but mulled it over but, after once again reading the OP's original post. I am convinced more than ever that.

1. They are not female

2. Are not of Irish/Indian origin.

John

how do you come to that conclusion?

just out of interest.

John Findlay

just out of interest.

The language used. The manner and tone used too. It is not the language of a female not even a football supporting female. I firmly believe the OP is male and is having a good pop at Celtic. They are a Hibs supporter as they are covertly having a pop at ourselves and Rangers too. I firmly believe the OP is male and Scottish/British too.

John

The language used. The manner and tone used too. It is not the language of a female not even a football supporting female. I firmly believe the OP is male and is having a good pop at Celtic. They are a Hibs supporter as they are covertly having a pop at ourselves and Rangers too. I firmly believe the OP is male and Scottish/British too.

John

erm...just a bit sexist.

the writer hardly has a pop at us or rangers either, if they were really a Hibs fan wanting to have a pop at us they could have came up with much better than that.

John Findlay
erm...just a bit sexist.

the writer hardly has a pop at us or rangers either, if they were really a Hibs fan wanting to have a pop at us they could have came up with much better than that.

Sexist. I think not. Women when talking about all manner of subjects use language that men do not. We are different creatures. Doesnt mean we are not equals but we are different. If you believe that to be sexist then you have to me more problems than I.

John

the stone rose

Goncalves must have been getting abused by hearts fans in semi final against hibs when he was knocked out cold. Its only hearts rangers and celtic who have elements in their support according to the O.P.

Imeantasong

We all have halfwits who follow us, every team.

Can't say that I am a great admirer of Airdrie's fans, but the OP is probably including them, Rangers and us through bias. I mean, some of the Hibbys I know...., come on.

Let's just form an allegiance with SV Hamburg, St Pauli's bigger and more successful city neighbour.

Amazes me Celtic have to have to have a 'special relationship' with just about everybody.

At least the bluenoses don't seem to care who hates them.

Chris Benoit

Why no mention of Motherwell? The treatment given to Jason Scotland (i think it was him) in a cup game against St Johnstone last season was a disgrace and i heard monkey chants against Kingston at the first game at Fir Park this season!

I also doubt the OP is an irish/asian woman, the whole post just seems too contrived

Perth to Paisley

Within the first 15 seconds of the youtube link AM states that Walters is the first coloured player to play for Rangers................. OMG.

Hopefully times have moved on since then.

Keep a mental note of that link the next time we get castigated for giving Walters a hard time. Being second does not make it tolerable but the perception is so much different.

meridian jambo

Am I the only one who has noticed the increased "Irishness" when we go to Easter Rd. I accept we still have a few tubes who fly their Union Flags when we get there, but the Shed section does have more Irish Flags than ever.

It is my unbiased opinion that this is a sectarian statement rather than a heritage issue (as is our donkeys with the Union Flags).

Harry Palmer

Who gives a ****! Unless of course I already have; by replying to this, have I?

kennygarland1
Am I the only one who has noticed the increased "Irishness" when we go to Easter Rd. I accept we still have a few tubes who fly their Union Flags when we get there, but the Shed section does have more Irish Flags than ever.

It is my unbiased opinion that this is a sectarian statement rather than a heritage issue (as is our donkeys with the Union Flags).

According to my mate who has been known to take one to the San Giro, it's because he believes they are the quintessential IRISH club in name and history.But he only takes one to the BIG games to get over that point.A tad silly if you ask me.

Commander Harris
Within the first 15 seconds of the youtube link AM states that Walters is the first coloured player to play for Rangers................. OMG.

Hopefully times have moved on since then.

Keep a mental note of that link the next time we get castigated for giving Walters a hard time. Being second does not make it tolerable but the perception is so much different.

that was the PC term back then - it wouldn't be acceptable now but back then it was not considered offensive.

just out of interest.

Leith must be full of half Asian women , interested in football , who know what 'loyalist' means and who have 'experienced' Airdrie.

The whole article is ridiculous.

'She' will now probably win a Pullitzer Prize for said article.:confused::rolleyes:

jamboinglasgow
Leith must be full of half Asian women , interested in football , who know what 'loyalist' means and who have 'experienced' Airdrie.

'She' will now probably win a Pullitzer Prize for said article.:confused::rolleyes:

to be fair, I know a girl who is half indian/half irish so knows both sides of the sectarian spectrum but she isn't interested in football I dont think.

there only needs to be one half Asian women , interested in football , who know what 'loyalist' means and who have 'experienced' Airdrie...

Archived