Tunisia

eddie fenwick

Boaby Ewing

Goin soon,who's been and how was it?

A mate got Hep A and turned yellow.

Enjoy!

Denny Crane

From my own experience (and from hearing other people's), North Africa will either be the best or the worst holiday ever. No inbetween.

The Old Tolbooth

A mate got Hep A and turned yellow.

Enjoy!

We wouldn't notice the difference :ninja:

went to the Riu Park El Kebir ( thomson platinum at the time, not sure if it still is ) in Hammamet, the hotel was decent and always clean, the food was also pretty good and we always found something to have, the drink was fine but always came in a small glass, take your own and they'll normally be happy to fill that instead for a tip of course! outside the hotel it was basic and there was very little to do, at the time i described it as Turkey in the early 90s. we got the holiday for a decent price so cant really grumble. on the plus side taxis are cheaper than bottled water so you can go anywhere and not worry about the price, also the gin & tonic was great :thumbsup:

would i go back, probably not.

Goin soon,who's been and how was it?

Did you get it on the KGB deal?

I am going here next Sunday for a week.

?299 4 star hotel All Inclusive.

The right price is over ?700

It's a Thomas Cook package they were

giving away.

Was in Port el Kartoui (sp?) about 4 years ago and had a great week but to be fair it was in March and we just wanted a week chilling in the sun! Hotel was decent enough and food and drink were fine. Would go back for a relaxing spring week but wasn't busy enough for a proper summer holiday, oh and it was touching 30 most days in March so feck knows how hot it'll be at this time of year!

Say What Again

Been 3 times (Port el Kantaoui, Hammamet, Yasmine Hammamet) and would go back no problem.

It's not the greatest place in the world, but it's pretty cheap to eat/drink and you're almost guaranteed the weather - though it got as high as 44? once and that's far too hot for me..

Outside of the organised trips/water sports, there isn't an awful lot to do, but if you just want to relax in the sun then you can't fail. EDIT: There are a lot of golf courses popping up too if that's your thing.

:thumbsup:

Boaby Prentice

Went two years ago to play golf in March / April Port El Kantoui.

Half baord, food was excellent. Drink was extortionate, ?4.00 for local spirits, ?12.00 for known brands.

Lots of pensioners who all knew better and had brought their own liter of spirits.

Wearther was great, taxi's inexpensive, once you've visited the harbour and market, you have seen it all.

Luckily there was tallent by the pool to keep us occupied when not playing golf.

cosanostra

Moving there to work in August. Hopefully Tunis is better than the resorts that KBers don't seem to recommend! :ermm:

Now all I need to do is pick a local team to support. :)

Tunis is a poverty stricken, filthy city with very little to do or see. It's also a couple of hours away from the resorts. The city is filthy and people struggle horribly to make ends meet. There's very little tourism within the city apart from a couple of places. The locals are friendly enough but they're staunchly Muslim so nightlife consists of coffee shops filled with Tunisian guys drinking coffee and smoking. There's no reason I can ever think of to go back there. It was kind of tense when I was there as it was before their recent revolution. I was there about 8 months ago. Carthage has some seriously cool stuff to check out and is the nicest area of the city. Best of all though is a small town call Sidi Bou Said which is about 30mins away from Tunis on the train. It is stunning and some of the views are breathtaking. I'd suggest anyone who goes to north Tunisia, check this place out.

I'd probably say, don't work in Tunis but I'm guessing that it may be too late for that.

The country as a whole is strangely beautiful and has lots of charm and character despite the obvious poverty all around and the difficulty that the locals face in surviving. As for the resorts, Port el Kantaoui is by far and away the best. It's a self contained Europan style holiday resort with decent restaurants, bars and hotels, most of which are a decent standard. They make local lager for the tourists which is cheap and decent quality. It's a great place to chill for a week and it's quite inexpensive.

I'd also suggest doing the 2 day sahara desert tour. It was amazing and covers so much interesting and cool stuff.

Tunisia is decent enough and certainly has a charm. It's rough around the edges though and parts of Tunis, you really have to be careful. You also have to be conscious of being respectful of the locals and their custom. Waiters are also regularly profoundly dishonest and will rip you off whenever they think you can get away with it. They hate bringing you bills on paper in restaurants so they can add a bit on for themselves so always insist that they do. They'll also bring you things that you haven't asked for. If you're smart and have your wits about you, it's an interesting place to travel around.

Performance

I was there last year at Port el Kantaoui and stayed in a 4* hotel that was all inclusive. The food and drink at the hotel was fine although the entertainment at night was dire for adults and kids.

The weather is scorching so is ideal if you want to chill out at the pool. The local market was an experience due to the locals trying to get you into the shop. They are the perfect if your looking for a leather jacket or a carpet as it seems every 2nd ahop sells them. Just what you need when its 40 degrees. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Overall we were happy with the holiday we had but i wouldn't be rushing back. Egypt is much better value if your prepared to pay a bit more.

cosanostra

Thanks for all that, cosanostra. :thumbsup:

I'd have to disagree with you about Tunis, having visited a few years back. I found the place to be clean (much more so than nearby Morocco), and relatively efficient. Bear in mind that I'm comparing it now to central and far-western China, which are polluted and dusty all year round. And I've seen enough people taking a dump in the street or eating out of bins here in Xi'an to get (maybe a little too used to it. :yucky:

It's also very convenient for access to Malta, where I have family, so another plus for me.

I guess I'll find out for sure when I arrive there in a couple of months...no turning back now. :thumbsup:

Don't suppose there are any other KB members living in Tunisia? :)

EDIT: I've the option of living in one of the suburbs, not Sidi Bou Said, but La Marsa. Did you go there?

I've not been to Morocco before so I couldn't say if it was cleaner or not than Tunis. I just found Tunis quite a bleak place with very little going for it. The souk was filthy and smelly and there was very little of any interest there. There's very little in the way of interesting architecture or attractions apart from the ones I've mentioned. I didn't make it as far along as La Marsa but I loved Sidi Bou Said which is by all accounts the nicest part of the country.

I hope you liked it any way Jonesy. It's not somewhere I would ever go back to but that's just me.

siegementality

I've not been to Morocco before so I couldn't say if it was cleaner or not than Tunis. I just found Tunis quite a bleak place with very little going for it. The souk was filthy and smelly and there was very little of any interest there. There's very little in the way of interesting architecture or attractions apart from the ones I've mentioned. I didn't make it as far along as La Marsa but I loved Sidi Bou Said which is by all accounts the nicest part of the country.

I hope you liked it any way Jonesy. It's not somewhere I would ever go back to but that's just me.

Sounds like you are basing your opinion on Tunis on a couple of hour trip there on the Carthage/Sidi Bou Said/Tunis day trip?

cosanostra

Sounds like you are basing your opinion on Tunis on a couple of hour trip there on the Carthage/Sidi Bou Said/Tunis day trip?

Nah, spent two days there. Spent 10 days travelling around the country in total.

cosanostra

Fair enough. I'm not a great traveller, and enjoy living in places so that I get a real feel for them.

After living in Urumqi, I reckon Tunis will be just fine, especially if I can learn some bloody French (five years of German at High School hasn't really helped a lot in the real world. Living somewhere for two years and being there on vacation are two different things, but I can understand your opinion of the place, especially in contrast to the other parts of Tunisia.

Pretty much everyone speaks French so if you can learn a bit, you'll get on so much better.

I've never been to China before but I've considered it. The size of the place is quite astounding. That city you lived in has 4 times the population of Glasgow and I've never even heard of it before.

Archived