What's 'Corrective Rape?'

Boomstick

jamboinglasgow

It is shocking stuff. I was saddened when I read the comments from the police to one victim that it can't be rape if your not attracted to men. Shows that backwards values. Even the comments at the bottom show what homosexuals in Africa face as two African posters say though they condemn rape homosexuality is "unafrican." You need to change these views, see what has happened in Uganda, Sudan etc.

Without trying to be racist, it's hard not to think that Africa really is fecking primitive.

Without trying to be racist, it's hard not to think that Africa really is fecking primitive.

I think in many ways it is. Like much of the middle east this is a continent that has been forced in a couple of generations to conform to the political and social ideals and norms of the west, without the centuries of enlightenment and philosophy enjoyed in Europe. We expect our standards to be upheld by countries with no background, understanding or journey to this point.

That's in no way to condone their thinking, it's just to understand that change takes time. A hundred or so years ago homosexuality was punishable by imprisonment in this country (Oscar Wilde famously), even a generation or two ago homosexuals were treated with suspicion and prejudice in all walks of life (maybe it still goes on, just far less prevalent)

Right will out, but it takes time.

Rick Grimes

I think in many ways it is. Like much of the middle east this is a continent that has been forced in a couple of generations to conform to the political and social ideals and norms of the west, without the centuries of enlightenment and philosophy enjoyed in Europe. We expect our standards to be upheld by countries with no background, understanding or journey to this point.

That's in no way to condone their thinking, it's just to understand that change takes time. A hundred or so years ago homosexuality was punishable by imprisonment in this country (Oscar Wilde famously), even a generation or two ago homosexuals were treated with suspicion and prejudice in all walks of life (maybe it still goes on, just far less prevalent)

Right will out, but it takes time.

You'll not like this Doc, but I reckon the massive improvements seen in Europe in gay rights etc are a direct result of us moving to a more secular society. South Africa, with millions of poorly educated but heavily preached at citizens, is unsurprisngly still in the Dark Ages.

You'll not like this Doc, but I reckon the massive improvements seen in Europe in gay rights etc are a direct result of us moving to a more secular society. South Africa, with millions of poorly educated but heavily preached at citizens, is unsurprisngly still in the Dark Ages.

I quite agree with you CG, with a couple of caveats.

Christianity has always been misused to support intolerance and prejudice, despite the inclusive and tolerant message that Jesus preached. It was used to support slavery and racism for example. That doesn't mean it's right. Slavery is a reasonable comparison, although the church and Christians were at the forefront of change, alas the church has been left far behind society in not only recognising but promoting equality.

It's not the full picture though, homosexuality is illegal across the middle east although I suppose you could say that Islam is as backward as Christianity.

China is worth considering, they too have become far more tolerant in the past 30 years, slightly less so than in Europe perhaps, but they never had the burden of Christianity to overcome.

The situation in Africa is dire though. I was staying with the Bishop of Kigali (rwanda) last summer and he was telling me that the Anglicans in Africa, South America and East Asia are ready to leave the Anglican communion over the ordination of gay priests. They are entirely intolerant.

Archived