Top 6 - not allowed?

Professor.Arturo

Professor.Arturo

Yet another complaint thread about the Aberdeen/Falkirk game moved to the Monday night. Why has the SPL allowed this to happen for such a crucial double header?

Outcomes?

We lose to Killie....no top 6! and the sheep have a top 6 place to play for

we draw with Killie....see above

We beat Killie........Calderwood gets to screw us by lying down to Falkirk, as he'd need to win by more than 8 clear goals.

Looks like we are damned no matter the outcome at Rugby park.

Or maybe I'm being paranoid...the 2 Jimmies really love us to bits :rolleyes:

Guest JamboRobbo
Yet another complaint thread about the Aberdeen/Falkirk game moved to the Monday night. Why has the SPL allowed this to happen for such a crucial double header?

Outcomes?

We beat Killie........Calderwood gets to screw us by lying down to Falkirk, as he'd need to win by more than 8 clear goals.

We have only ourselves to blame. We are in this position because we failed to do what we should've done in many games earlier this season.

We now need a favour from another team.

As it happens, I cannie see Falkirk winning at Pittodrie anyway. So it's up to us. Like last year, I cannie see us winning at Killie either though.

Outcomes?

Aberdeen can still potentially get top 6 even if Hearts beat Killie, it would require them to beat Falkirk by 6 or 7 goals, but Calderwood is exactly the type of bufoon to think they'd have a real chance of doing this.

In any event I think our rank rotten record at Killie is the most likely impedement to our participation in the top 6.

Thig Ar Latha
Aberdeen can still potentially get top 6 even if Hearts beat Killie, it would require them to beat Falkirk by 6 or 7 goals, but Calderwood is exactly the type of bufoon to think they'd have a real chance of doing this.

In any event I think our rank rotten record at Killie is the most likely impedement to our participation in the top 6.

In fairness to Tangoman, he says both Hearts and the Dons should be ashamed of themselves for not being well above Falkirk. He won't want to lose ground to anyone if he can avoid it, Bufoon or not.

Just for once, I agree with his thoughts. :sad:

I think we will win on Saturday, the players look as if they want to finish strongly.

I worry that Falkirk will beat Aberdeen though, they are more than capable on their day.

We have only ourselves to blame.

Wrong.

Yes, we have ourselves to blame for our league position / current form / current inability to score etc etc etc. That however is an entirely different issue.

We DONT have ourselves to blame for the fixtures being played at different times. That is wrong. Its also out of our control, therefore we cant blame ourselves for something thats not our fault.

Regardles of how much better than Falkirk Hearts and Aberdeen should be - this matter is fundamentally wrong. It would still be wrong if it was Falkirk St Mirren and Kilmarnock all fighting for 6th place.

Get over it. All we can do is win our game.

As I've said before this is not a Euro crunch or a league decider, this is a 3 way fight to get into the top 6, hardly an achievement we can be proud of.

Ironically, should we do it there could then be a similar "teams lying down" debate re the race for third, should we be able to influence HIbs not getting into Europe.;)

Fozzyonthefence

QUOTE]

How is it a crucial double header? Personally, now that we have given up our only chance to qualify for Europe by not entering the Intertoto, I really couldn't give a monkey's whether we finish top 6 or bottom 6. What does it matter?

Either way we have 5 meaningless games after the split. Finishing bottom 6 might be the wake up call Vlad needs plus we don't get another 5 humpings to finish the season on another low.

Personally, now that we have given up our only chance to qualify for Europe by not entering the Intertoto QUOTE]

I know this will sound like I am on drugs but if we win on Saturday and make the top 6 it would be safe to assume we will be only 5 points behind both United and Motherwell with 5 to play.

Motherwell would have 2 games in hand but both against the old firm. United, Hibs and Well all play each other and of course we'd be playing Motherwell, Celtic and probably United (again) at Tynie.

It would not be mission impossible to finish third if we make the top six. Having attending every game this season it would in my opinion be a bad move finishing third as it would pave over the many many cracks in the squad, backroom, youth team etc but it is still a possibility providing we can make the split.

While finishing in the top 6 is nothing in itself, we are currently one of only 3 teams to have achieved this every season since it was brought in and I'd like to keep that going.

Seymour M Hersh
We have only ourselves to blame. We are in this position because we failed to do what we should've done in many games earlier this season.

We now need a favour from another team.

As it happens, I cannie see Falkirk winning at Pittodrie anyway. So it's up to us. Like last year, I cannie see us winning at Killie either though.

You're correct with your point about it basically being our own fault.

However I want total professionalism from the other team not a favour. Orangina, I believe, has already come out and publicly stated Falkirk deserve to be in the top 6. IMO this sort of comment in these circumstances warrants a disrepute charge against tango if true.

Well Calderwood wot do us any favours,he was in the papers a few weeks ago,saying he's good pals wi Yogi and keeps offering him his villa in Spain for a holiday

meridian jambo

Why look for reason why this and why that, it is very simple...MONEY.

Suits the SFA and Abn and Falkirk to have the game on telly.

It is not fair for us, but let's be honest apart from us, who really gives a toss for the JTs. :mad:

Seymour M Hersh
Why look for reason why this and why that, it is very simple...MONEY.

Suits the SFA and Abn and Falkirk to have the game on telly.

It is not fair for us, but let's be honest apart from us, who really gives a toss for the JTs. :mad:

Well the SPL and others are happy enough to say they don't want an infirm last day decider prior to the fixtures post split being announced. Where is the difference?

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

As far as I'm concerned

1. Its a bit of a disgrace that we are in this position in the first place. A wee part of me hopes we dont make it and the last 5 games at Love St and Caley Staium etc gives the players a kick up the erche the deserve.

2. Secondly, the Falkirk game has been moved to suit Setanta, who deposit a nice wee cheque in our bank account every year. I think its a stupid idea to hold the game on a Monday night but he who pays the piper calls the tune. I appreciate Setanta dont give us a fortune but we would miss it if we lost it and Aberdeen and Falkirk are the same. Its a neccesary evil of modern football unfortunatly. Although the SPL could have shown a bit of common sense and realised SOMEBODY is going to get an advantage out of this. But there will be men on the sun before the SPL show common sense.

Tokyo Drifter

Could work to our adavantage, though: if we do beat Killie then Falkirk will have two days to freak out coz they know they HAVE to beat the Sheep. My mate's a Falkirk ST holder and he says the Sheep are their ultimate bogey team and - if you'll excuse me mixing my animal metaphors - haven't won there in donkeys.

That said, I think we'll draw with Killie, the Sheep will beat Falkirk and we'll both lose out on the top six.

It`s times like these that show how stupid and needless it was the way we dropped points, particularly to Falkirk a couple of weeks ago.

Ok, you can`t win every game but when a game comes around that is a landmark match, we haven`t got the result required.

Last week wasn`t really that case because Falkirk were the team we are chasing and we could be above them just now.

Yes it's true that we really shouldn't be in this predicament. However when was the last Live Monday night game this season ?..........it looked like the idea had almost been shelved !

Bizzarely though, If the fan has any say these days then surely only 'local' games should be covered on the Monday ( travel problems etc ) .....but that then left us playing a Monday night Derby which raised hell in these parts !

Maybe the fixtures formula is being followed as per normal but you do just wonder, and if last day 'every man for himself' finishes are felt to be required in the EPL to maintain integrity .........then why not us

Anyway, I'm not fussed either way about the result as finishing top 6 wont disguise that we have been totally gash but nor will a bottom 6 finish indicate that that's our TRUE level nowadays.

It would be nice if only to maintain our 100% record...........shoddy as that stat appears at the moment !

Archived