Where should I live in London?

Gershwin

Morning all.

Looking for some advice here....

Decided to take a bit of a risk with my career and move to London to freelance.

So, I'd thought I'd canvas opinion on where JKB thinks I should live.

Tempted by the East End as it's a little bit cheaper but open to anything!

Dont try Forrest Gate, Manor Park, Poplar, Stratford, East Ham or the likes i had digs in these places while working in London in the Late 80's every one is a dump and dodgy AS :ninja: at night :woot:

West is best, but as you said not as cheap. You get what you pay for though!

syndicalist

Paddington. Nice and handy for the Fleming and Hearts games on TV. Also you can get slammed with me and my mates everynight. On the down side there was a double stabbing on Thursday night and one guy's fighting fopr his life. Beats south and East London though, where they would have shot them.

Gorgie Rules

cashgenerator

Morning all.

I'd say the biggest consideration should be where you're going to work. The commute down here can be ridiculous. Often well over an hour, sweating on the tube (if you can actually get on), just awful. I'm now a 15min cycle to work and it has improved the quality of my life no end. Consider where you're going to be based (in terms of work) and then look at transport links, or maybe get advice from people who live in London.

Generally further east is a bit cheaper, but can be a bit ropey. Nearer east (Hackney type area) is quite popular with "trendies" and therefore is more expensive (and has poor tube links). West is a bit plusher (generally) but more expensive. North is always popular, and has good transport (but is expensive). South can be cheaper, but again has worse tube links (though overland train network is not bad).

It pretty much comes down to personal preference (and budget!)

Hope that helps.

Morning all.

i live in mile end and i love it. i can easily walk to brick lane, spitalfields (liverpool st), canary wharf, the tower of london, london bridge, the olympic stadium....i'm a ten minute walk from the mile end tube, stepney green tube, and limehouse dlr giving me the dlr, central line, hammersmith and city line, and the district line meaning that the rest of london is easily accessible. i can step off a plane at city and be in my living room within half an hour (even with hold baggage). theres some great pubs within easy reach on the river at limehouse and wapping (the grapes, the narrow, captain kidds and the prospect of whitby). its a nice walk up the canal to islington too with some cracking pubs on the way.

the good lady used to live in west hampstead and it was bloody boring. theres lots going on in the east and its definately more vibrant and interesting. cheaper? possibly our 1 bed flat cost ?200k. we're planning on moving north to a much cheaper 3 bed house in the next year or two.

live where you want, but i love it in east london :thumbsup:

scots civil war

what irons said

central east and north my son

dalston,hackney,shoreditch,south islington,bethnal green,stoke newington,mile end,bow,leyton,leytonstone,whitechapel

i used to live dalston,bethnal green,hackney

commuting to city is no problem,and heading west to camden, portobello road etc you can get on the north london rail line

if your a creative type and into your music then def the above areas.....its all happening in shoreditch,whitechapel,spitalfields,brick lane so you dont want to be far from there.....

west london is ******* boring btw

dont know much about south london,although brixton and camberwell have their scenes as well...its a biiiigggg place

what irons said

central east and north my son

dalston,hackney,shoreditch,south islington,bethnal green,stoke newington,mile end,bow,leyton,leytonstone,whitechapel

i used to live dalston,bethnal green,hackney

commuting to city is no problem,and heading west to camden, portobello road etc you can get on the north london rail line

if your a creative type and into your music then def the above areas.....its all happening in shoreditch,whitechapel,spitalfields,brick lane so you dont want to be far from there.....

west london is ******* boring btw

dont know much about south london,although brixton and camberwell have their scenes as well...its a biiiigggg place

couldn't agree more with this. shoreditch is a great night out on its own, its got a bit of everything. a great eclectic mix of pubs and clubs with good restaurants around. its awesome for vietmenese. i often do a pub crawl home from spitalfields stopping off for a a curry in brick lane before whitechapel and my local pirate bar in mile end. some historic pubs on the way with the ten bells (somewhat ruined by a recent refurb though), the carpenters arms and the blind beggar.

also brick lane on sunday beats camden hands down. camden clearly wins on a saturday though.

i'm not a fan of south london, all my friends live in the north apart from a couple that are in forest hill and its a bit boring. greenwich is about the only place i'd live south of the river

Boaby Ewing

If you decide you don't want to live like some Nathan Barley **** in the east, West Kensington/Barons Court is the most 'balanced' area out west. Really nice old buildings, not ridiculously expensive, amazing old boozers, 5-10 minutes from the nice stretch of the Thames for lazy summer Sundays and running etc., 20 minute walk or ten minutes on a bus to High Street Kensington/Notting Hill - but as the area backs onto the North End road estate there's also plenty of atmosphere, sh*t load of 24 hour shops, decent supermarkets and every kind of takeaway under the sun.

It's personal preference but I always found the east a bit dingy and depressing. And the birds were generally pretty hinging.

South of the river I wouldn't bother with.

scots civil war

haha,whos nathan barley ?

also,living where i suggest,you have victoria park to go to if you want a bit space........massive big park with the regents canal running by for access to and from....cycle along the pathway/towpath malarkey

the canal is great for transportation n all,east to west style

haha,whos nathan barley ?

also,living where i suggest,you have victoria park to go to if you want a bit space........massive big park with the regents canal running by for access to and from....cycle along the pathway/towpath malarkey

the canal is great for transportation n all,east to west style

ha! i hate those bums cycling on the towpath. i dream of gently nudging one into the canal :whistling:

they also tire me out when i watch them from my balcony. the narrow boats are much more calming

Geordie Jambo

Blackheath in south east London. That is where I stayed and it was amazing. So close to Greenwich Park and only 25 mins to central London.

Blackheath in south east London. That is where I stayed and it was amazing. So close to Greenwich Park and only 25 mins to central London.

It's very nice there I hear but one of my best mates lived there and was jumped by a group of black guys demanding his bank card and pin. They beat him on the head with a hammer whilst he was pinned to the ground. Don't think he ever git over it and he lives back in Edinburgh now

Many moons ago but loved Chiswick,a bit posher but stayed in Barnes while doing comms courses liked that whole area from Chiswick out to Richmond

I P Knightley

Mayfair

I believe that'll set you back ?400. ;)

i live in mile end and i love it. i can easily walk to brick lane, spitalfields (liverpool st), canary wharf, the tower of london, london bridge, the olympic stadium....i'm a ten minute walk from the mile end tube, stepney green tube, and limehouse dlr giving me the dlr, central line, hammersmith and city line, and the district line meaning that the rest of london is easily accessible. i can step off a plane at city and be in my living room within half an hour (even with hold baggage). theres some great pubs within easy reach on the river at limehouse and wapping (the grapes, the narrow, captain kidds and the prospect of whitby). its a nice walk up the canal to islington too with some cracking pubs on the way.

the good lady used to live in west hampstead and it was bloody boring. theres lots going on in the east and its definately more vibrant and interesting. cheaper? possibly our 1 bed flat cost ?200k. we're planning on moving north to a much cheaper 3 bed house in the next year or two.

live where you want, but i love it in east london :thumbsup:

I've lived in/near both.

Bow Road as the nearest tube when I was in the East End (bit further out than Mile End) and nearer the Kilburn High Road when the neighbours were calling it West Hampstead.

Would plump for the east end as a first time visitor.

Have also laid my hat in Southfields (near Wimbledon); Finchley; Winchmore Hill and Dulwich before settling in the leafy west, the Queen of Boroughs.

A lot depends on where your gig is but if you're anywhere on the Central Line within zone 3, you ought to be about alright. There should be a big shout coming for Shepherd's Bush.

syndicalist

Can't believe all the ears on hear biggin up Shoreditch and the east as sick. Maybe 15 years ago. Now its just a playground for dosh doing gap years and sweaty's who haven't got a Brian Buroo. Creative types, my Brian Rix.

If you decide you don't want to live like some Nathan Barley **** in the east, West Kensington/Barons Court is the most 'balanced' area out west. Really nice old buildings, not ridiculously expensive, amazing old boozers, 5-10 minutes from the nice stretch of the Thames for lazy summer Sundays and running etc., 20 minute walk or ten minutes on a bus to High Street Kensington/Notting Hill - but as the area backs onto the North End road estate there's also plenty of atmosphere, sh*t load of 24 hour shops, decent supermarkets and every kind of takeaway under the sun.

It's personal preference but I always found the east a bit dingy and depressing. And the birds were generally pretty hinging.

South of the river I wouldn't bother with.

Spot on Dave. I lived in Shad Thames at Tower Bridge for two years. Very nice but surrounded by crime around Bermondsey to the East and The Elephant/Old Kent Road to the South.

My office was on the Thames south of the river in Vauxhall. I made the mistake of joining a gym along the road on the Wandsworth Road. It was a watch your back walk back to Vauxhall Bridge.

My next flat was in Westminster. Bit pricey but the job were paying. Great local pubs and as short walk to Pimlico which had its own vibrant shops and pubs.

I was down last year for a week and stayed in Fulham. Again a town within London with great boozers and shops. Plus good transport links. Short walk to Parsons Green for a visit to the Sloany Pony.

The only reason we would go to Shoreditch was to visit Browns or the Sports Bar!! :thumbsup:

What was Bethnal Green Road known as? Murder Mile if I recall!

Jamboinparis

Spot on Dave. I lived in Shad Thames at Tower Bridge for two years. Very nice but surrounded by crime around Bermondsey to the East and The Elephant/Old Kent Road to the South.

My office was on the Thames south of the river in Vauxhall. I made the mistake of joining a gym along the road on the Wandsworth Road. It was a watch your back walk back to Vauxhall Bridge.

My next flat was in Westminster. Bit pricey but the job were paying. Great local pubs and as short walk to Pimlico which had its own vibrant shops and pubs.

I was down last year for a week and stayed in Fulham. Again a town within London with great boozers and shops. Plus good transport links. Short walk to Parsons Green for a visit to the Sloany Pony.

The only reason we would go to Shoreditch was to visit Browns or the Sports Bar!! :thumbsup:

What was Bethnal Green Road known as? Murder Mile if I recall!

I've recently moved down here. Stay in the Fulham/Putney Bridge/ Parsons Green area, not far from Craven Cottage. I like it a lot round here, and echo the about that its a town within a city. Its quiet and chill for when you want that, but there is still lots going on when you want it and also its pretty fast getting to other parts of the city.

There is also tons of football to go to round here with Fulham, Chelsea and QPR all about 15minutes away from my flat.

I was born in Streatham but have no memory of it. Had family in Tooting, which I always liked and also in Totteridge in the north which was a bit dull and dear to live in I reckon. Had mates in Mile End and Leytonstone and had some good nights out there. Suppose it's all about what you can afford and how often you go out. It's too big for me though that London.

Private Hudson

If you want to be close to London but not in it then I'd recommend Sutton where I live. 20-30 mins on the train and you can be in Victoria, London Bridge or Wimbledon and there's a direct train to Kings Cross and Euston as well. I'm trying to sell our 1 bed converted Edwardian flat if you are interested? whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

Cheers for all the replies. What levels of rent should I be looking at?

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone gives a **** but I've decided to ignore you all and move to Camden. Been staying with my mate in Angel and there's no way I'd live South of the river after my leisurely bus into town.

See you all at the Fleming (although not on Sat as I'm at a wedding).

dobmisterdobster

Paddington. Nice and handy for the Fleming and Hearts games on TV. Also you can get slammed with me and my mates everynight. On the down side there was a double stabbing on Thursday night and one guy's fighting fopr his life. Beats south and East London though, where they would have shot them.

Gorgie Rules

very expensive! do know someone who lives there though.

SW London is the best!

Heres Rixxy

Why y'all dissin on the South? As Dobby say, SW London has some good places to live. I used to live in Wimbledon which is a nice area, has its own pubs, restaurants, shops etc and good transport links with the train, tube and tram.

Take time to search through this Right Move as it will give an indication of house costs, whether to buy or rent.

I was 21 years in the centre and cars are not required this way. However today it costs vast sums and travel costs are high from further out. Check the local press also, it is all online somewhere.

Where you stay, travel costs, and closeness to a cheap supermarket, are priorities. If you can keep those costs down you can get a life outside work!

Boaby Ewing

Why y'all dissin on the South? As Dobby say, SW London has some good places to live. I used to live in Wimbledon which is a nice area, has its own pubs, restaurants, shops etc and good transport links with the train, tube and tram.

South West doesn't count as Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarf.

Archived