Twitter and "Journalism"

Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler

Yesterday on the front page of the Telegraph online was a picture of Coleen Rooney. The reason being that she had called a woman a "dog" on Twitter. The equivalent of having an argument over a garden fence. The act itself probably wouldn't have been newsworthy were it Nelson Mandela, never mind a person who's claim to fame is merely being the wife of a footballer.

This morning, on the Telegraph again, was Lily Allen who had called a newspaper correspondent an "old hag" via the same medium. Jump to the Independent and here's the same story given the same front page billing only this time it's the said "old hag" correspondent who happens to write for the Independent providing her retort to Lily Allen's witticisms.

Yesterday evening the BBC site reports that there was a "stampede" at Tescos because somebody had punched in the wrong price in for 3 boxes of bevvy. Now I don't doubt there will have been some minor excitement across the four corners of Scotland on hearing the news of such a mistake, and there will surely have been more than a few taking advantage, including one or two dafties taking serious advantage! A fair enough news story, certainly for a laugh. But a "stampede"? Hordes of Scots rampaging to the Booze aisle like a scene out of Braveheart, flooring grannies, wummin and children in their wake? Surely not? Still, a stampede is what the BBC reported and a stampede is not a minor matter! And their source of this news that there was a "stampede"? Twitter. I quote "Twitter user Graham McKenzie tweeted: "Price glitch for beer has literally caused a stampede at the local Tesco. Tempers are flying in car park."".

Now your average twitter poster using the word "literally" probably doesn't mean literally "literally". They are more likely using the word erroneously in an attempt to exaggerate the real situation. Still you bash on BBC, report away. I'm sure this thought didn't occur to you. It was obviously a genuine misunderstanding on your part.

For every decent report based on a genuinely newsworthy "Tweet" there must be about 20 others of absolutely no interest at all and now they are using it as the lead news on "quality" newspaper websites.

Any chance they could return this s%$te to its rightful place in the pages of Hello and the likes?

What gets me is when they use quotes from random people on news stories. Like the tesco booze story, where they say 'Tracey from Newport tweeted', why is this newsworthy? Even on serious stories they seam to do it now, random quotes from people who make no difference to me in my life.

I had almost the same rant at my mate last week. Channel 4 news are extremely bad for this, every story has an update bout what some ******* mug thinks via twitter.

Its no doubt a uselfull medium, but people have to realise that its not the be all and end all and its certainly not a replacement for proper journalism.

Say What Again

I got slaughtered for suggesting something similar about Rio Ferdinand on the Terrace a while back.

It's not Ferdinands tweets that annoy me, of course it isn't. It's the fact that entire articles in newspapers and websites (even the BBC) consist of 'Rio Ferdinand tweets....'. That's lazy as hell.

I was told on that thread that sportsman on Twitter are credible sources. Again, of course they are. I just wonder how those journos would like it if we all stopped buying their newspapers and just followed Rio on Twitter? That's basically all it is most of the time.

The final straw for me was a radio debate on the Olympic Stadium. When Rio Ferdinands tweet on the issue was brought up and discussed that was enough for me.

I look forward to Huw Edwards going live to Rio's Twitter for latest thoughts on the UN strikes in Lybia.

:facepalm:

mahgrassyshoes

I must admit the mis-use of the word literally is a bit of a bug bear.

it's great when folk die and you get lists of celebrity tweets offering condolences. classy.

I P Knightley

I got slaughtered for suggesting something similar about Rio Ferdinand on the Terrace a while back.

It's not Ferdinands tweets that annoy me, of course it isn't. It's the fact that entire articles in newspapers and websites (even the BBC) consist of 'Rio Ferdinand tweets....'. That's lazy as hell.

I was told on that thread that sportsman on Twitter are credible sources. Again, of course they are. I just wonder how those journos would like it if we all stopped buying their newspapers and just followed Rio on Twitter? That's basically all it is most of the time.

The final straw for me was a radio debate on the Olympic Stadium. When Rio Ferdinands tweet on the issue was brought up and discussed that was enough for me.

I look forward to Huw Edwards going live to Rio's Twitter for latest thoughts on the UN strikes in Lybia.

I agree whole-heartedly with this and the OP. Twitter and the regular referencing to facebook pages of missing teenagers etc does my head in.

Ferdinand may be a 'credible source' in that you won't find made up rumours and lies being told. Likewise, though, you aren't going to find anything earth-shattering or revealing about the goings on in the Man U or England dressing rooms - just some banal ramblings from a not-very-intelligent, idle attention seeker.

If I wanted that kind of chat, i'd log on to JKB! (Boom, boom)

I can imagine that now, there wouldnt be a big enough facepalm to explain it.

I P Knightley

it's great when folk die and you get lists of celebrity tweets offering condolences. classy.

With many exclamation marks thrown in for good measure.

"Gil Scott-Heron. RIP!!!"

Carl Spackler

I think this hits the nail on the head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E10Bp_mPXXA

OK, not Twitter specific, but a good satire on the current trend for news providers to resort to the lowest common denominator.

That pretty much does nail it. It's obviously ripping the likes of 5 Live Drive and BBC One Breakfast. These are as much light entertainment as news, accepted. But the Telegraph and the Independent? News stores from the BBC citing random punters on Twitter as a credible source? Surely a step too far?

Carl Spackler

It's certainly caused quite some amount of excitement among the industry, and just now, with it's relative shiny newness, it's frankly having the arse kicked out of it.

What you do see though is journalists who 'get' it far better than these examples. Creating hype around exclusives has shown incredible power being harnessed on Twitter. It also allows the reader to connect with the writer like never before.

There are downsides to these of course (mainly abuse) but I expect these to calm down a bit too.

Not having a go at Twitter just to be clear. Or even the reporting of "tweets". Just the reporting of random tweets from unknowns and the elevation of complete non-news to same status as headlines concerning the trial of alleged war criminals and people dying of e-coli infections in Germany!

Archived