A Bluffers Guide...

plastic_bas

plastic_bas

http://mcfc.co.uk/News/FA-Cup-countdown/2011/May/Bluffers-guide-to-City

Found the above link and at first I was quite surprised to see it on an official club page. Supporting your club is like a religion to most people (including myself) and breaking it down to these bare essentials sort of trivialises the whole thing. It's a little embarrassing and I think it alienates the hard core group of supporters who have followed City through the tougher times. None of us like the facepainters who only show up when it gets interesting.

But then again who can blame city for chasing the armchair floating fans? We've all sat in pubs listening to total idiots (usually OF fans up here) slavering about their team that they've never actually seen in the flesh. They may as well be buying a Man City shirt to play 5s in than one of the other big clubs in England.

What would you think if Hearts tried a similar marketing tactic? What would you put in a bluffers guide about Hearts? After this week we certainly have plenty of things to leave out...

"It?s worth noting that from 1923 to 2003 we played our home games at Maine Road"

That page a pretty damning indictment of football's position in society. Growing up i used to love finding out about other clubs; vague memories of roker park and the baseball ground are stupid little things that stick with me for no other reason than that's what football as a child was about. Pawing through panini sticker albums and nagging my dad with stupid questions about steve bull or david hagen.

The fact that it's 'worth noting' man city used to play at maine road is really sad. With all we've been through to stay at tynie can you imagine how hurtful it'd be if we were to build a new stadium elsewhere and some johnny-come-lately arse made a reference to jim robertson or Timecaste Stadium.

Archived