Intertoto Cup

Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence

Anyone know if we defintely entered it or are we passed the deadline if we didn't? And who else entered it?

Just wondering, 'cause if we didn't I couldn't give a toss if we make the top 6 or not. But if we did we need to finish above any other teams that entered (if Hibs entered we need them to finish 3rd so they qualify for Europe anyway or we are stuffed for even the Intertoto!)

Nucky Thompson
Anyone know if we defintely entered it or are we passed the deadline if we didn't? And who else entered it?

Just wondering, 'cause if we didn't I couldn't give a toss if we make the top 6 or not. But if we did we need to finish above any other teams that entered (if Hibs entered we need them to finish 3rd so they qualify for Europe anyway or we are stuffed for even the Intertoto!)

I don't know if anyone else knows, but I do know someone who knows someone who knows someone else that we will be in the inter tattie next year:rolleyes:

The Old Tolbooth
We'd be just as well entering it, it's the only European competition we haven't been in.

Might as well make it a full set mate :)

I think you cannot enter yet. You can only declare the intention to enter. Once the season is finished, and final places are known, only then can you enter.

I think we will enter.

If I remember correctly, clubs have to give a statment of intent to enter.

Once the season is finished, the highest placed club who have asked to be considered are ofered teh place so to guarantee entry, it looks like we'd need to finish 5th on the basis that the huns win the cup.

If the sheep win, then we'd need to finish 4th to guarantee entry.

Personlly, I'd go for it as embarassing as it is, as I think we need UEFA Cup football consistently if we want to move forward.

Teams that consistenly play in this tournament generate more income and attract better players.

Guest gorgie kev

Why the hell is it called the intertoto?Anyone have an explanation?

maroonlegions

nae danger of us getting beat buy plumbers and joiners like the hobos one year eh.:107years::107years:

ToadKiller Dog

Lennart Johansson is a big fan of the wizard of oz so named it after the dog from the book/film

The Intertoto seems to have some stigma attached to it but I don't see the harm in entering. It would surely provide a more meaningful pre-season than some of the useless friendlies we'll line-up to play.

As long as we don't get pumped by a bunch of Latvian waiters!!

Yesterday's Evening News seemd to think that Hibs and Falkirk were the only two teams to have declared their interest before the deadline.

Buffalo Bill

The current format means you're only a couple of rounds from the Uefa Cup and I seem to remember Spurs(?) entering a few years back.

I don't see the harm. At a time when we'd be playing Blyth Spartans, why not have a couple of competitive games instead?

I'm not too much of a snob for the Intertoto.

Buffalo Bill

Hope Hearts enter. Only three stages to get to the UEFA cup. And if your lucky you can get a reletively easy team in the third round.

Or...

get pumped by FK Vetra Vilnius like the hobos :D

Dirk Diggler

Am I right in thinking this will be the last year before the Intertoto is disbanded?

I'd rather we didn't bother with it tbh.

I hope we don't lower ourselves to entering the interdiddy cup.

So you reckon Spurs and Newcastle lowered themselves by entering ?

At the Supports club doo thing back in Feb i asked Shaggy what the intensions behind entering into the Intertattie cup and he said that was a route Vlad was looking down. Now if my memory serves me correct you cannot enter any competion run by UEFA if your manager does not have the proper badges in place, i think this will be our down fall unless we get a manager in pretty soon.

Zali Cinnamon

I'd hate for us to sink as low as Atletico Madrid, Blackburn, Spurs, Sampdoria, Hamburg etc.

I think we should enter the intertoto if we can. You dont need to win that many games to qualify for the uefa cup and id rather the players were playing competetive games rather than playing teams like kaunas.

I wish we were good enough to enter the UEFA Cup....but we're not. Intertoto is our level, although we might not even qualify for that.

ToadKiller Dog

I would be reluctant to go for the intertoto ,if we are to get a new manager and start remolding the squad ,i would rather they spent pre season building up to hit the league campaign running,it is possible we could do well in the intertoto but it is also we could loose to a seemingly nobody team and the damage that could do.

dkmmgcycbwc

Problem is that Hibs and Falkirk also want to enter according to press reports so we'd have to finish above them or at least FFC if Hibs got into UEFA.

Intertoto I believe because it was originally a series of games played for the benefit of keeping European Football Pools going over the summer and TOTO was the pools organisation. In those days it didn't qualify you for anything and there was no winner but clubs got paid for taking part by TOTO.

It was originally invented to provide matches for Continental football pools companies in the summer; toto is the name for the pools in German. Originally only clubs from Central & Eastern European countries that had winter shutdowns entered it. It started in the 60s & it was only much later that UEFA decided to use it as a route into the UEFA Cup & teams from the UK started to enter.

ScottishSandstorm

It is a perfectly legit way to get into the UEFA cup. Why would you not want to besides the pre-season issue? If you are against us entering it why should Hearts even try after 2nd place in the league is out of sight? Why do we continue to try to win 3rd place? I know there is some pride and prize money, but the main reason IS the UEFA cup. Playing in europe is important and even if it comes with a little pre-season tour of europe and a little extra revenue due to some meaningful games, I am all for entering it. However, I think I read somewhere that we are ineligible due to Shaggy not having the proper license as our manager. Can anyone confirm or disprove?

Drylaw Hearts

As this competition begins in early July I think it would do more harm than good tbh.

If a New Manager is employed he will need time to assemble a squad.

Charlie-Brown
As this competition begins in early July I think it would do more harm than good tbh.

If a New Manager is employed he will need time to assemble a squad.

I reckon he will have to work with what players he already has and find ways to improve them and generate his own transfer kitty by selling some to generate funds for others he does want to try and sign. I don't think we will see a repeat of July-August 2005 / January 2006 signing activity.

Buffalo Bill

To be fair, you just play it as it comes.

Treat it as pre-season games, and to get players fit.

If we get through, great. If we don't, nothing really lost.

Before declaring Hearts (or yourself) above it all, look at the some of the names that have entered (including former European Champions). I'd rather pay to watch one of these games than some crap friendly.

Buffalo Bill

HillmanHearts

It's pretty unclear what the exact qualifications are to get into the Intertotto - so it could be irrelevant anyway. But I would say that we should go for it if we can. Based on the facts that we get competitive fixtures early on instead of pre-season kick abouts and that should have us starting the season with good match fitness coz as we all know a good start is hugely important in shaping the season ahead - and the other major factor is the obivious route to he UEFA cup which would be a great bonus in so many ways. To say we are above the Intertotto is crazy. We are where we are at this point in our history and we need to look forward and take on opportunities to go forward.

I hope we don't.

It's for Hobos.

Well said sir. It's a diddy competition for diddy clubs, hence the hobo's participation (albeit short). :dribble:

Teams had to declare their interest in the Intertoto in January and Hearts, Hibs and Falkirk have all publicly confirmed their interest.

This means that if Hearts, Hibs and Falkirk decide to enter, Hearts will need to finish above Hibs and Falkirk in the league to qualify. Alternatively, if Hibs or Falkirk finish 3rd in the league Hearts would only have to finish above the other. Technically, Hearts could finish in the bottom six and still get into the Intertoto (Hibs 3rd, Aberdeen 6th, Hearts 7th, Falkirk 8th).

This assumes that Dundee United, Motherwell or Aberdeen have not declared their interest and kept it from the media.

In order to qualify for the UEFA Cup through the Intertoto the Scottish entrant would have to win two ties starting in early July. If the tournament is regionalised as it has been in the past, the Scottish entrant would probably have to beat a team from Lithuania, Latvia or Finland in round 2 and then a team from Sweden, Denmark or Norway in round 3. I would give Hearts a 50/50 chance of getting through if we played the Intertoto. I would gratefully take an Intertoto place right now.

Guest JamboRobbo
Well said sir. It's a diddy competition for diddy clubs, hence the hobo's participation (albeit short). :dribble:

Indeed. Can't believe there are jambos wanting us to lower ourselves to the hobos level of entering the interdiddy.

Guest casper

Although the hobos got punted out it a couple of years ago it did give them an early kick start to that season. The start to the last couple of seasons for us have been very poor so some early competitive football could be a good thing.

I think we should go for it.

Anything is better than another bounce game against Bohemians. I like Dublin but that game was awful.

I like Dublin

It was pretty "lively" before the Yoofa game against St Patrick's Athletic. :o

Well done HMFC.

Yes well done on ruining any chances of doing anything in Europe for the foreseeable future. The results against Zeljeznicar and Bordeaux will be scrapped from our co-efficient next season and we will plummet down the rankings. We needed Europe next season, Campbell Ogilvie should know this better than anyone, so who made this decision?

Yes well done on ruining any chances of doing anything in Europe for the foreseeable future. The results against Zeljeznicar and Bordeaux will be scrapped from our co-efficient next season and we will plummet down the rankings. We needed Europe next season, Campbell Ogilvie should know this better than anyone, so who made this decision?

Hmmm . . Vlad and his entourage were in town Friday and Saturday. Let me think

Hmmm . . Vlad and his entourage were in town Friday and Saturday. Let me think

It was a rhetorical question, I know fine well Ogilvie did not decide this. I believe if Campbell Ogilvie was making the decision we would be entering the Intertoto Cup.

It was a rhetorical question, I know fine well Ogilvie did not decide this. I believe if Campbell Ogilvie was making the decision we would be entering the Intertoto Cup.

There are good arguments both ways Flimsy. Personally, I agree with you. But, in addition, we don't know about the managerial situation. If Vlad lied (heaven forfend) and Frail is still at the helm in July then the Intertoto would not be an option.

Archived