Dear Diary....

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

....today I took my daughter to Tynie for the first time. Set off this morning and missed bus. Waited 20 minutes for the next one. Arrived in Bathgate just in time to see train pulling out. Waited 30 minutes for next one. In the meantime bought cheap day returns from ticket machine cos the wife had told me no cheapos on the train no more. Along comes ticket man who tells me to buy tickets on train in future cos daughter travels free at weekends making it cheaper! Arrive Haymarket and walk to the Hearts Superstore to collect free top, then get stung for lettering and a new hat(pink) tho they did chuck in a new scarf for nought albeit a 2006 cup winning scarf. Went to the Ardmillan and paid ?2.85 for a Guinness(jeez), double vod and lem next ?4.00(double jeez). She wants a programme next, which I never buy, 3 bloody quid, no wonder I normally ignore them! Game starts, so does rain and row 1 in the Wheatfield ain,t the place to be in the rain. Still at least it was a half decent game and 3 points in the bag. Walk back to Haymarket just in time to see train speeding away, another half hour wait. Get on train to hear announcment that the service will terminate at Livingston North. Use your tickets on the No 16 bus to Bathgate. Train then stops for 20 minutes in the middle of nowhere before taking us to Livi. Wait for bus which does not appear and cabs are as rare as rocking horse doo daas. Next train from Edinburgh pulls in then continues to Bathgate, barstewards! According to wife (she knows everything) this is common Scotrail practice when the trains are running late, terminate at Livi to put them back on time! Still no No. 16 bus so phone old man to come and pick us up. After 7 before we get home. Next disaster, no beer in house. Can,t be bothered to walk for carry out and the pubs ain,t an option after the ugly sisters have played! And the worst part of it all, daughter loved it, wants to go back, aaargh!!!!!:runaway:

davemclaren

By the end of the year it will be double track to Bathgate - the trains won't turn back at Livingston then. :)

The trick is to have some beer in the house - sorts all problems

The morale of the story is.. Don't buy a cheap house in the sticks;)

Blinded by the bright lights in carrick ******************* knowe :confused:

deary me ;)

....today I took my daughter to Tynie for the first time. Set off this morning and missed bus. Waited 20 minutes for the next one. Arrived in Bathgate just in time to see train pulling out. Waited 30 minutes for next one. In the meantime bought cheap day returns from ticket machine cos the wife had told me no cheapos on the train no more. Along comes ticket man who tells me to buy tickets on train in future cos daughter travels free at weekends making it cheaper! Arrive Haymarket and walk to the Hearts Superstore to collect free top, then get stung for lettering and a new hat(pink) tho they did chuck in a new scarf for nought albeit a 2006 cup winning scarf. Went to the Ardmillan and paid ?2.85 for a Guinness(jeez), double vod and lem next ?4.00(double jeez). She wants a programme next, which I never buy, 3 bloody quid, no wonder I normally ignore them! Game starts, so does rain and row 1 in the Wheatfield ain,t the place to be in the rain. Still at least it was a half decent game and 3 points in the bag. Walk back to Haymarket just in time to see train speeding away, another half hour wait. Get on train to hear announcment that the service will terminate at Livingston North. Use your tickets on the No 16 bus to Bathgate. Train then stops for 20 minutes in the middle of nowhere before taking us to Livi. Wait for bus which does not appear and cabs are as rare as rocking horse doo daas. Next train from Edinburgh pulls in then continues to Bathgate, barstewards! According to wife (she knows everything) this is common Scotrail practice when the trains are running late, terminate at Livi to put them back on time! Still no No. 16 bus so phone old man to come and pick us up. After 7 before we get home. Next disaster, no beer in house. Can,t be bothered to walk for carry out and the pubs ain,t an option after the ugly sisters have played! And the worst part of it all, daughter loved it, wants to go back, aaargh!!!!!:runaway:

Don`t you just love being a dad & taking your parental duties so seriously??? Look on the bright side at least your bringing up another wee Hearts fan.

scots civil war
Blinded by the bright lights in carrick ******************* knowe :confused:

deary me ;)

y,he knocks the jocks/scots,belittles any bod from outside edinburgh and

lives in carrick****ingknowe.thats in the suburbs in itself...............ridiculous

mentality

duckandcover

Hard lines mate shocking story, network rail is a disgrace tried to go and see my girlfriend in west calder on saturday night but all the trains to west calder where cancelled. Left Oxgangs at 6 and never got to west calder till twenty to 10.

John Findlay

Bikerjambo. An apology from me. I was the station supervisor on duty at Haymarket Saturday afternoon/evening. It was me who made the announcement that certain Bathgate trains were only running as far as Livingston North.

The reason for this was what they call a track circuit failure which occured at Bathgate. It is not my decision to run trains to Livingston North that is taking by 1st Scotrail control and the reason they do this is to try and get the timetable back on track(excuse the pun) as a company they are fined for trains not running on time and by time I mean within 5mins of the advertised time in the timetable.

Personally it is not good enough and believe me I have taken plenty of flack(quite rightly 90% of the time) from the travelling public.

To the guy travelling to West Calder. You obviously didnt read the three big signs at Haymarket station advertising the fact that there were no trains to Livingston South, West Calder and Glasgow Central on Saturday's from March 29th to May the 19th, due to engineering works on the Shotts line. That an alternative bus service will be in operation. Buses leaving from Waverley station and those going to West Calder picking up at the first bus stop in Dalry Road, Haymarket end. Timetables for these buses are available at the station, just ask.

Again I agree it is not perfect but, this is what you get from a privatised railway. First Scotrail do not own the tracks their trains runover. The track is owned by Network Rail and they and they alone rule the roost when it comes to engineering works and have the final say when the engineering works take place.

John

A sad tail indeed, but why did you not get on the next train? You say it came and went so why not get on it?

Ps. You should have sent the wife to the offie.

Seymour M Hersh
Bikerjambo. An apology from me. I was the station supervisor on duty at Haymarket Saturday afternoon/evening. It was me who made the announcement that certain Bathgate trains were only running as far as Livingston North.

The reason for this was what they call a track circuit failure which occured at Bathgate. It is not my decision to run trains to Livingston North that is taking by 1st Scotrail control and the reason they do this is to try and get the timetable back on track(excuse the pun) as a company they are fined for trains not running on time and by time I mean within 5mins of the advertised time in the timetable.

Personally it is not good enough and believe me I have taken plenty of flack(quite rightly 90% of the time) from the travelling public.

To the guy travelling to West Calder. You obviously didnt read the three big signs at Haymarket station advertising the fact that there were no trains to Livingston South, West Calder and Glasgow Central on Saturday's from March 29th to May the 19th, due to engineering works on the Shotts line. That an alternative bus service will be in operation. Buses leaving from Waverley station and those going to West Calder picking up at the first bus stop in Dalry Road, Haymarket end. Timetables for these buses are available at the station, just ask.

Again I agree it is not perfect but, this is what you get from a privatised railway. First Scotrail do not own the tracks their trains runover. The track is owned by Network Rail and they and they alone rule the roost when it comes to engineering works and have the final say when the engineering works take place.

John

Mind you British Rail the nationalised company were always running on time with nice clean trains!!! Not!

John Findlay
Mind you British Rail the nationalised company were always running on time with nice clean trains!!! Not!

No argument from me on that either.

With British Rail things could be more co-ordinated especially with regards to passengers making connections.

That is a long story and this is not the place for it.

Lets just say with a little more thought and foresight by those in government and who run the railways things could be better and they should be better.

John

john brownlee

Maybe next time find out what your local Hearts supporters club bus times. A whole lot better, in my case I'm eternally greatful to the Borders bus as they pass through my village and have no prob's in stopping to pick me up

and its well worth the small fare

:5643::5643::5643::5643:

Straight to the match in half the time, plenty of time for a pint before the match and no tour of the scheems.

Doctor FinnBarr
A sad tail indeed, but why did you not get on the next train? You say it came and went so why not get on it?

Ps. You should have sent the wife to the offie.

We were at the bus stop when the next train arrived. Expected it to return to Edinburgh as well!:confused:

Archived