Forums, social networking etc whip some people into a frenzy

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

Morning all. After the shinnanigans of last night it got me to thinking what part the internet and various fans and social network sites have in creating a certain 'atmosphere' at games. It appears that it is now an outlet for the more extreme to air their views, which in turn seeps or drips into the pysche of others. Then come 3-00pm or 7-45pm some normally 'sane' punters lose it!

Do people think that certain inviduals can be influenced by what they read and then suddenly become involved in situations they would never have dreamed of being in? I guess what I am trying to say is, have football forums increased the already tense atmosphere between teams such as Celtic and and Hibs or was it always this bad?

King of the North

Morning all. After the shinnanigans of last night it got me to thinking what part the internet and various fans and social network sites have in creating a certain 'atmosphere' at games. It appears that it is now an outlet for the more extreme to air their views, which in turn seeps or drips into the pysche of others. Then come 3-00pm or 7-45pm some normally 'sane' punters lose it!

Do people think that certain inviduals can be influenced by what they read and then suddenly become involved in situations they would never have dreamed of being in? I guess what I am trying to say is, have football forums increased the already tense atmosphere between teams such as Celtic and and Hibs or was it always this bad?

In answer to your question - I think they have, particularly when reflecting on the madness of this season. Rangers forums are whipping up the sense that their fans are being picked on, which only encourages the morons to do it more, Celtic forums are whipping up the sense that Neil lennon is being picked on because of bigotry (as opposed to being an objectionable character), our own forum can contain some truly embarrassing bile from some posters where Celtic are concerned.

And young folk without a clue are reading this and taking it on board as the norm - the kind of hateful statements that people wouldnt dare issue in 'normal' conversation are flying around fans forums all over the place.

Thats the key - the difference between an ordinary conversation and forums. If we were all down the pub, our conversations, statements, opinions and most extreme points of view would be moderated and modified by the fact that we know we have a live audience, some of whom might be offended or disagree with what we say. Too much of what passes for debate on the internet is a lot of pish and wind which most people wouldn't dream of spouting in 'real life'. The prospect of an entire pub full of people disagreeing with you, or a smack in the mouth from someone you have offended is usually enough to modify most people's contributions to conversation.

Trouble is, so much of modern communication is conducted online that for the current generation of wee neds, it is hard for them to tell the difference between what is acceptable banter and what is not.

Having said all that though, Hearts games v Hibs and the OF have never been a picnic, and I remember some very volatile games v the OF in days past. One wonders what the Easter Road derby post-takoever attempt would have been like if Hibs.net had been around then? Or what the casuals of the 80s would have made of facebook and twitter?

Chris Benoit

No way. As nobody who posts on here actually goes to games.

:lol:

It may contribute to people getting noised up but at the end of the day if a folk can't be trusted to behave themselves at a football match then they should find some other way to spend their Saturday afternoons and Wednesday nights

Archived