Get a hold of 3rd spot and........

Debut 4

That`s Hearts got another thing over the Hobos........qualified for Europe more. :thumbsup:

If im right it stands at 19-19 just now.

Can we knock off the Hobbits "push through" by their prominent SFA member in the 50`s when it should have been the Dons? If so, we`re already ahead :D

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Debut4... The one KBer who's work I love as much as the ones I have liked met!

However... Yer being churlish, we still have no electronis scoreboard, never played under floodlights before them, never had a religious exclusion rule deciding eligability to play for our club, never went out of business, never taught Brasil to play football, never had Brian Kerr paly for us and never puritanically played with flair for decades despite getting pumped like a third world well during a dry season by the neighbours.

They're still ahead D4, just accept it eh? :D

Do The Dance

Sorry for mobile phone spelling/typing. :(

I just assumed you were pished.

However... Yer being churlish, we still have no electronis scoreboard, never played under floodlights before them, never had a religious exclusion rule deciding eligability to play for our club, never went out of business, never taught Brasil to play football, never had Brian Kerr paly for us and never puritanically played with flair for decades despite getting pumped like a third world well during a dry season by the neighbours.

Always out to please the Maroon Legions M, i feel it`s a duty i must thrust upon myself and keep everyone in the loop! Because fact is in fact FACT! :D we don`t do myths.... ;)

Vlad-Stupid

You forgot having sponsors on their shorts Mothy. That's the one over us that I can't bare :(

frankblack

Probably one for London Hearts, but are you comparing actual qualification for Europe as opposed to invitations? I'm pretty sure at least one of Hibs' "famous" participations in Europe were invitations other teams rejected when Europe wasn't attractive to UK teams.

Probably one for London Hearts, but are you comparing actual qualification for Europe as opposed to invitations? I'm pretty sure at least one of Hibs' "famous" participations in Europe were invitations other teams rejected when Europe wasn't attractive to UK teams.

Their "First in Europe" claim is only possible due to other clubs turning down the invitation. But don't forget they reached the semi-final that year - only 16 teams were in the tournament though and also the "away" leg of their quarter final was played in Glasgow rather than Sweden (think it should have been in Stockholm?)!

Clerry Jambo

That`s Hearts got another thing over the Hobos........qualified for Europe more. :thumbsup:

If im right it stands at 19-19 just now.

Can we knock off the Hobbits "push through" by their prominent SFA member in the 50`s when it should have been the Dons? If so, we`re already ahead :D

Great stat Debut son...you must have been up all night to get that one :P

Clerry Jambo

Hey Mothy, you wouldnae believe Debut and I were related.

I mean we have the best and worst posters in the same family!! :lol:

londonjambo

Tricky one this because there were many years during the Fairs Cup years when, under the current rules, both we and Hibs would have qualified but in those days only one team could qualify from each city. Have always meant to do the research but am pretty certain that both we and Hibs missed out on at least one occasion as a result.

Anyone want to write an article ??

GC

i mentioned that FB. It wasn`t even an invitation. A Hibs board member had a prominent position in the SFA at the time and he pushed their case after Aberdeen didn`t take their rightful place after being league winners.

So they didn`t earn it the right way.

londonjambo

Ok, after some brief research -

In 1960-1 season, Hearts finished seventh in the league and Hibs finished eighth.

Ahead of them were Killie (2nd), Third Lanark (3rd), Celtic (4th), Motherwell (5th) and Aberdeen (6th).

Yet the two teams which played in the Fairs Cup were Hearts and Hibs (thus contradicting my earlier post - bah !)

But here's a fine example of what I mean - 1961/2 - Dundee won the league, Rangers finished second and won the Cup. Then the league places were Celtic (3rd), Dunfermline (4th) Killie (5th) and Hearts (6th)

Hibs finished 8th in the league.

Who went into the Fars Cup in 62-3 ??

Celtic, Dunfermline and, yes, you guessed it ..... Hibs :blink:

So, my point is simply that there were seasons in the 60's when European qualification was simply not done in the same way as it is now, based solely on league position.

GC

londonjambo

Found some research done by some "proper" football historians

Fairs Cup Qualification

Looks like both us and Hibs (but especially Hibs) benefitted from the weird "invitation" process for the Fairs Cup in the early 60's and that we lost out to Hibs in 69/70 on the "one club per city" rule which was introduced later.

By today's standards of "qualification" in the proper sense, we are almost certainly already ahead of them

:thumbsup:

GC

Jam Tarts 1874

Found some research done by some "proper" football historians

Fairs Cup Qualification

Looks like both us and Hibs (but especially Hibs) benefitted from the weird "invitation" process for the Fairs Cup in the early 60's and that we lost out to Hibs in 69/70 on the "one club per city" rule which was introduced later.

By today's standards of "qualification" in the proper sense, we are almost certainly already ahead of them

:thumbsup:

GC

Yup, the Fairs Cup was also trying to bolster economic and trade relations or something, so league positions weren't always relevant.

Is the OP including hibs' Intertoto Cup appearences? I hope not.

J Cheever Loophole

They were the first to sign a player with 2 livers.whistling.gif

Yup, the Fairs Cup was also trying to bolster economic and trade relations or something, so league positions weren't always relevant.

Is the OP including hibs' Intertoto Cup appearences? I hope not.

:keys: :facepalm::P

Coburg Hearts

Hey Mothy, you wouldnae believe Debut and I were related.

I mean we have the best and worst posters in the same family!! :lol:

Much as I like Debut's post's I doubt he is the best.

Buffalo Bill

1988/89 and the odd first round victory aside, our record in Europe isn't great.

Too many away goal aggregate defeats and hard luck stories.

Clerry Jambo

Clerry,

Never had anything against you either mate. :)

I know Mothy, I have got the cartel marked :lol:

Archived