Would you vote for independence?

hughesie27

416 members have voted

1. 1. Would you vote for and independent Scotland?

• Yes
    • No (but I voted for SNP)
    • No (Voted elsewhere)
    • Undecided

hughesie27

Somebody requested this in another thread and I am quite curious about the answers myself.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where's the "No, I don't normally vote but would definately vote no on this" Vote?? :whistling:

Anyway, I would vote NO!! :thumbsup:

Undecided right now, but I'd most likely vote No if it were to happen tomorrow. I voted SNP as they were by far the best party for Scotland, the hard work for them now is convincing people that they should vote for independence. I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but I'm not entirely convinced that it would be the best move for Scotland.

IronJambo

Somebody requested this in another thread and I am quite curious about the answers myself.

i won't vote as i'm not in Scotland but i would go for a NO. make Scotland independant and nothing gets solved, fingers currently get pointed at westminster....they will just wag in a different direction, thats all. Scotland would also be poorer.

Buffalo Bill

I would vote to preserve the United Kingdom.

I voted SNP yesterday and am delighted with the way the election has turned out. However, I'm undecided.

SNP promise a referendum, which is what I want. Now that the unionist parties have been given a very bloody nose following their campaigns based on scaremongering, maybe they'll do us the courtesy of not taking Scotland for fools and engaging in a grown up debate so people like me can make an informed choice. If they don't, their next bloody nose at the ballot box will be the first step to separation.

I'd need to really consider the arguments. Mind you if the unionist parties just started negative scaremongering I know that would push me away from their position. I'd like to see them, for once, talk up the positives of remaining in the UK. If I HAD to vote right now it would be a YES but that would be from the heart and not the head.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

If someone laid out the advantages and disadvantages I'd decide.

i won't vote as i'm not in Scotland but i would go for a NO. make Scotland independant and nothing gets solved, fingers currently get pointed at westminster....they will just wag in a different direction, thats all. Scotland would also be poorer.

This!! :thumbsup:

And THIS!! :thumbsup:

Definite yes. I have no issue with the UK, but Scotland should be independent. No real reason why the home nations couldn't form a commonwealth of sorts after this, but an equal say for each nation and each governed from their own capital city.

rossthejambo

Undecided right now, but I'd most likely vote No if it were to happen tomorrow. I voted SNP as they were by far the best party for Scotland, the hard work for them now is convincing people that they should vote for independence. I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but I'm not entirely convinced that it would be the best move for Scotland.

This is pretty much my opinion on the matter as well.

ToadKiller Dog

I am not hard set either way if asked the question would maybe just edge to yes at this time . Australia ,New Zealand etc manage to keep there strong ties with the UK while running there own affairs , I would imagine the ties that bind Scotland with the rest of the Islands of UK are strong enough to work together in a common interest in separate governments if there was a yes vote . Certainly Holyrood will now have to be given more of its own powers .

It certainly doesnt scare me if there was a yes vote .

ArmiyaRomanova

Depends what's meant by independence. Curious about the prospect of oil revenue being controlled by Scotland, but the UK govt would NEVER allow that to happen.

I would vote YES for independEnce. The fact that some people think we can't survive without the help of another country is staggering.

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

I think the turnout for voting was roughly 35% yesterday. There is definetly apathy with voters. However if there is a referendum I would expect a much larger turnout. I think on this basis the majority would vote NO for Independence.

I owuld personally vote NO as I am happy for Scotland to remain as part of the Union.

Danny Wilde

I'll vote for it when the opportunity comes along in 2 or 3 or 4 years time.

Before that can happen though...

1. Push to extend the powers of The Scotland Bill, crucially to give us the Fossil Fuel Levy, increased borrowing powers and Corporation Tax powers (as is being lined up for Norn Oireland)

2. Get public health measures like the Alcohol Minimum Pricing Bill through parliament, the public health of this country is a national shame. Get it fixed.

3. Keep attracting investment in renewable energy schemes. The time is now.

3. Educate and inform Scots on the options in any referendum. There will be a barrow-load of unionist counter propaganda, all of it negative (although people rejected negativity this week) and the debate has to be on a level, evidence-based playing field.

Then put it to the vote.

Its unlikely to be a straight Yes/No question. There will be a middle ground option of full fiscal autonomy. And for me that option puts us almost all the way there economically, and would be as close an approximation to the benefits of independence as would make no difference.

I think the turnout for voting was roughly 35% yesterday.

55% in my area, unsure of the other figures.

Coburg Hearts

This!!!

Danny Wilde

Exactly.

Thats the only logical sensible approach.

Both sides can make their arguments and present their evidence - economic and social - and then people can decide.

No more myths, no more propaganda, no more lies.

Just evidence. Then decide either way.

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

55% in my area, unsure of the other figures.

I heard the 35% - 36% quoted this morning, but given that my head is full of mince at the moment, it could be totally wrong ;)

Sheiky Baby

I would vote YES for independEnce. The fact that some people think we can't survive without the help of another country is staggering.

Indeed

A definite YES from me when it comes

As for Independence, I firmly believe that Scotland could run its own affairs, but I think the cost to get to full independence would be too great. Add to that the fact that I don't believe that any Westminster government would ever give up Scotland, even if 100% voted for it in Scotland!

One thing I like about the SNP approach this time is that they aren't banging on about Independence, but they are banging on about letting the people of Scotland decide. That can only be good, therefore I am in favour of the referendum.

I don't expect the referendum to come forward until year 4 or 5 of this parliament though, so will wait until nearer the time before making a decision.

Buffalo Bill

The fact that some people think we can't survive without the help of another country is staggering.

I don't think that's the case at all for most unionists.

An SNP percerption, certainly on this forum, is that unionists are somehow scared, or lack some sort of fortitude to go it alone.

It isn't about that at all. It's a positve, very much wanting remain as part of the union, through thick and thin.

It's ok to consider one's self Scottish and British. In fact, there is no 'other country'.

Vlad-Stupid

I've yet to see a convincing argument for independence. Off the top of my head, My reasons for voting no are

1) Jumping stright in to the EU. Folk moan about being run by Westminster. We'd be governed by Brussels more or less.

2) By joining the EU, our North Sea gas wealth would be divided out between the other member countries. The reason Norway is one of the richest countries in the world is down to it's refusal to join the EU. I do realise that some money would be gained with membership but i think we'd be losing out massively in the end The membership we would have to pay to be in the EU is probably astronomical

3) Changing our currency to the Euro is a stick on.

4) Public spending is around ?40b whilst income is ?27b meaning heavy cuts in public services or raised taxes. I reckon both.

5) I worry about how we would fund things like having an embassy in every country, how we would fund our defences, army, national health services etc etc

In my mind, the people at the top would become rich whilst peasants like me and you would be taxed through the nose at every opportunity(worse than we already are)

The only plus point I have read is that we would not become a republic under Salmonds plans. We would retain the Queen as our monarch and stay part of the commonwealth. God bless the Royalsthumbsup.gif

Geoff Kilpatrick

Bottom line is that you aren't independent unless you are sovereign in your own currency.

Buffalo Bill

I've yet to see a convincing argument for independence. Off the top of my head, My reasons for voting no are

1) Jumping stright in to the EU. Folk moan about being run by Westminster. We'd be governed by Brussels more or less.

2) By joining the EU, our North Sea gas wealth would be divided out between the other member countries. The reason Norway is one of the richest countries in the world is down to it's refusal to join the EU. I do realise that some money would be gained with membership but i think we'd be losing out massively in the end The membership we would have to pay to be in the EU is probably astronomical

4) Public spending is around ?40b whilst income is ?27b meaning heavy cuts in public services or raised taxes. I reckon both.

5) I worry about how we would fund things like having an embassy in every country, how we would fund our defences, army, national health services etc etc

In my mind, the people at the top would become rich whilst peasants like me and you would be taxed through the nose at every opportunity(worse than we already are)

The only plus point I have read is that we would not become a republic under Salmonds plans. We would retain the Queen as our monarch and stay part of the commonwealth. God bless the Royalsthumbsup.gif

On the plus side, I seem to recall a thread from our leading sixth-form common-room Nat about demanding that Scotland be granted its own place in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Vlad-Stupid

On the plus side, I seem to recall a thread from our leading sixth-form common-room Nat about demanding that Scotland be granted its own place in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Might make the battle for last place more competitive!

kingantti1874

thanks for setting up the thread - genuinely worried about this possibiity given the nats landslide... i did vote for the SNP but will defo vote no for independence

I voted SNP but i'll admit to not having a clue about the benefits / drawbacks of independance. It's something i'd like to look into before making my mind up so i voted 'undecided'.

Do The Dance

This is exactly it. If it was worth the move, then I would vote for it. However, it would have to bring massive advantages, not just something like stamps would be 10p cheaper or the likes...

jambopompey

I would like to see an independent study into if/could Scotland become independent, give us all the details, where our income would come from, what our expenditure would be, how much it would cost for the split up of national companies to become scottish/remaining UK.

give us all the pro's and con's, that way we all can decide if it does benefit us or not, until something like this is done i would say NO.

Show us the pitfalls plus the perks, then maybe that will shut up some of the myths from both sides of the debate.

I would also ask do the SNP just want to become seperate from the UK only to join up with Brussels?

maltese jambo

Although fundamentally in favour of independence, I agree with some of the posters on here that I would appreciate some fair and balanced information on it.

1. Your point 1, Considering we are already part of the EU would that not mean that we are already being 'run' by the EU?

2. Important point about the EU: Currently as part of the UK we are net contributors to the EU (i.e. we are giving more money than getting back, as contributions go up based on GNP) Therefore, in line with pretty much all new member states since 2003 we would infact change from being Net contributors to actually gaining a Net profit from the EU. Which is a very desireable position untill our economy grows; if it does so we would rightly contribute more to the EU and if it doesnt we would still be recieveing more.

3. Why do we need an embassy in every country?

4. Being away from the UK foriegn policy would in my opinion improve relations with other nations.

Just a few ideas to put out there

thanks for setting up the thread - genuinely worried about this possibiity given the nats landslide... i did vote for the SNP but will defo vote no for independence

There won't be an option for a simple YES/NO vote to independence in the referendum....

If you think the referendum will be a straight YES/NO option - think again. Now that the SNP have an overall majority they can (and will) set the wording and number of options on the ballot paper. They'll be at least three, probably four, options on the ballot - none of them will mention the word 'Independence' or include phrases such as 'Leaving/breaking up Britain'.

The four options will be along the lines of:-

1 - No further devolved legislative responsibilities to the Scottish Parliament at this time.

2 - Limited additional devolved legislative responsibilities to the Scottish Parliament.

3 - Full fiscal legislative responsibilities devolved to the Scottish Parliament.

4 - Enter negotiations and secure the transfer of all legislative responsibilities from the Westminster to the Scottish Parliament.

Given there is a hard-core 33-35% of the Scottish electorate who support independence they will vote for option 4 - the pro-Britain vote will be split between the other three options. So, by default option 4 wins - winner takes all - and we're on the road to independence!!

The reason the SNP didn't bring forward a referendum bill in the last Parliament was because they feared the opposition parties would allow the bill to proceed - but - they would have insisted on a single question (Do You Support Independence) YES/NO vote.

Referendum are all about who writes the question...and Salmond knows it - your vote last night was effectively a vote for independence. How did you not see that?

kingantti1874

Well mate I genuinely think if they have a referendum the question will not be phrased in that way- it will have to be completely transparent and I do think it will be a simple yes/no. An independent Scotland would be a costly disaster, i suspect some of the multinationals based here would feel the same and may look to ship out... It's a definite no from me... Instea of being governed from Westminster we would be dictated to by the pansies in Brussels, same as the Irish and the portugese...

ToadKiller Dog
i suspect some of the multinationals based here would feel the same and may look to ship out... It's a definite no from me...

Thats not what the guy from the London stock exchange said on the telly , he thinks Scottish business and multinationals would adapt . Also said that if a Scottish government lowered Corp tax it ,due to Scotland's size as a wee nation even just 2 multinationals opening here would make a massive difference to Scotland's wealth .

The Comedian

I'd vote for independence so we could ditch the rest of the UK. I have faith that we would prosper without Westminster, the swine who reside there and their foreign policy.

Independant, we'd be flush with oil and wouldn't need England for aid.

Surely this would be appealing down south also, removing the free-loading Scots from the equation?

Thats not what the guy from the London stock exchange said on the telly , he thinks Scottish business and multinationals would adapt . Also said that if a Scottish government lowered Corp tax it ,due to Scotland's size as a wee nation even just 2 multinationals opening here would make a massive difference to Scotland's wealth .

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, CEO of Aberdeen Asset Management. Who also personally supported Salmond for FM.

That's the schizzle right there. All about the CT. If Scotland had a lower CT than the rest of the UK, multinationals would be setting up shop 20mins later. Eire set their levels at 0% for life for many multinationals (not that I agree with free), resulting in DELL, Microsoft, Intel, Cisco etc all shifting their financial HQ to Eire. For this level of business, even a few % less can save ?m per annum.

Bungalow Bill

Your first 3 reasons are one and the same thing. In order to join the Euro a referendum would have to be held.

Close call so far in JKB polling but considering we could expect a turn out of about 50%, if 60% of that 50% vote yes then only 30% of the electorate want independence. Using the same argument if 60% of the 50% vote no then only 30% dont want independence. In my opinion there is only one way to do this, have only a Yes vote and more than 50% of the electorate need to support it to change the status quo.

Voted undecided. Would need to hear all the arguements for and against first. Some good posts so far. Food for thought.

The People's Chimp

I'd vote for independence so we could ditch the rest of the UK. I have faith that we would prosper without Westminster, the swine who reside there and their foreign policy.

Independant, we'd be flush with oil and wouldn't need England for aid.

Surely this would be appealing down south also, removing the free-loading Scots from the equation?

If we're so free loading, how would we be flush with oil? Oil is a busted flush anyway, it was all sold off donkey's ago.

Anyway ADAM's point about the referendum is absolutely correct.

Absolutely.

Scotland would be far richer and better outside of the Union.

Look at Denmark....population 5million what have they got? Carlsberg and Bacon and they seem to do alright. What about Sweden? They do alright. The Norwegians? They seem fine.

We've got Whisky, exported 6billion bottles last year alone and we've got 30billion barrells of black gold which has kept the UK economy afloat for 30 years.

Imagine what we could do with that, plus the new energy industry, with corporation tax and borrowing powers. The Unionist arguement doesn't have a leg to stand on except from a silly wee flag and a few wars.

I also firmly believe England should seperate from the United Kingdom.

portobellojambo1

I don't think that's the case at all for most unionists.

An SNP percerption, certainly on this forum, is that unionists are somehow scared, or lack some sort of fortitude to go it alone.

It isn't about that at all. It's a positve, very much wanting remain as part of the union, through thick and thin.

It's ok to consider one's self Scottish and British. In fact, there is no 'other country'.

This (i.e. all of the above).

I'm not sure, in fact that's a lie, I have no idea what the actual turnout was last night, but would suspect it was probably somewhere between 30 to 40%. I also think the main sufferers last night were Labour, which is understandable. Many, many people are quite simply apathetic at the moment, and cannot be ersed with another round of votes. In a referendum I would expect the turnout to be huge, and the no vote to be huge as well (I don't look at a lot of polls etc., but the little bits and pieces I have looked at on line on media websites suggest support for the Union is actuall increasing in Scotland, not decreasing. Although again I have no idea what each media outlets feelings on such things are, and where such polls are conducted)

The result of last night's election will now give the SNP supporters a chance to see what they can do, without being able to blame other parties for standing in their way. If they go down a certain route and it fails the buck cannot be passed to others/blamed on others. The one thing it may impact on beneficially is Edinburgh's proposed Haymarket to Gogar multi million/billion pound train set. The SNP now have a chance to stamp on it forever (although I'm not sure if explaining how what has been spent to date will be covered will be easy, although still think it will be easier than ploughing on wasting hundreds of million of pounds more).

Was Scottish and British yesterday, am Scottish and British today, and don't expect that to change in the foreseeable future, if ever, and would be perfectly happy to see a referendum called on the subject.

kingantti1874

Absolutely.

Scotland would be far richer and better outside of the Union.

Look at Denmark....population 5million what have they got? Carlsberg and Bacon and they seem to do alright. What about Sweden? They do alright. The Norwegians? They seem fine.

We've got Whisky, exported 6billion bottles last year alone and we've got 30billion barrells of black gold which has kept the UK economy afloat for 30 years.

Imagine what we could do with that, plus the new energy industry, with corporation tax and borrowing powers. The Unionist arguement doesn't have a leg to stand on except from a silly wee flag and a few wars.

I also firmly believe England should seperate from the United Kingdom.

Ireland = bankrupt

Portugal = bankrupt

Iceland = bankrupt

Greece = bankrupt

The Norwegians stay out of the eu and survive almost entirely on oil revenue which we cannot as it was effectively sold off years ago, our only real industry and major player left is RBS..

JamboSean

I voted Yes because I hate the English.

Well thought out answers from people like yourself make me quite worried Scotland could be made independent.

shaun.lawson

Well thought out answers from people like yourself make me quite worried Scotland could be made independent.

Oh Sean. :vrface:

WHOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH! :D

portobellojambo1

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, CEO of Aberdeen Asset Management. Who also personally supported Salmond for FM.

That's the schizzle right there. All about the CT. If Scotland had a lower CT than the rest of the UK, multinationals would be setting up shop 20mins later. Eire set their levels at 0% for life for many multinationals (not that I agree with free), resulting in DELL, Microsoft, Intel, Cisco etc all shifting their financial HQ to Eire. For this level of business, even a few % less can save ?m per annum.

If I were a supporter of nationalism Das Root I wouldn't be using the Republic of Ireland as a glowing example for pushing ahead with independence. Even accepting the reasons for the collapse of the Irish Republic's economy were multiple, as with other countries, it doesn't really represent a success story on which to build future hopes if you are that way inclined

Archived