Well said Steven Thomson

Riddley Walker

Riddley Walker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13299845.stm

I'm glad Thomson and D United are sticking up for a non-10 team league. To do this would be a massively backward step and I'm actually gutted Hearts are not involved in the opposition.

16 team league, 30 games a season, long winter break, playoffs and because of all this a much more competitive league gets my vote.

Fozzyonthefence

Only 30 league games? How do you propose that teams (already having huge financial problems) cope with a much reduced income from 4 less home games and reduced tv income? Think that one is a non starter for these reasons - it would be like turkey's voting for Christmas.

Also, why do think a 16 team league would be more competitive? We've had bigger leagues in the past and they got binned because.... they were uncompetitive (like when Celtic won 9 in a row)! It doesn't matter how big our league is, it is always going to be uncompetitive when you have 2 teams that are far bigger than anyone else.

I'm actually glad if Hearts are supporting the 10 team league (at least until a better alternative is on the table) because the current 12 team set up with the farcical split is, frankly, ridiculous.

Anything that guarantees that the vast majority (if not all) of the fixtures are 3PM Saturday kick-offs gets my vote. (Purely from a selfish point of view, Inverness and Aberdeen away at 12PM? Get fecked).

Mister Dee

If the Clubs know well in advance that revenue will drop due to less games, they can budget accordingly. Where it becomes a problem is that the quality of player in the League will diminish, so it is a real catch 22.

Riddley Walker

Only 30 league games? How do you propose that teams (already having huge financial problems) cope with a much reduced income from 4 less home games and reduced tv income? Think that one is a non starter for these reasons - it would be like turkey's voting for Christmas.

Also, why do think a 16 team league would be more competitive? We've had bigger leagues in the past and they got binned because.... they were uncompetitive (like when Celtic won 9 in a row)! It doesn't matter how big our league is, it is always going to be uncompetitive when you have 2 teams that are far bigger than anyone else.

I'm actually glad if Hearts are supporting the 10 team league (at least until a better alternative is on the table) because the current 12 team set up with the farcical split is, frankly, ridiculous.

It would be more competitive because if you only have to play the Old Firm 4 times instead of 8 it becomes much easier to gather points. Also, with less games to play it makes it easier to gather as much points as them as there is more of a chance to be consistent and try gather as much points as the OF. In the 97/98 season if there were 8/6 less games i reckon we would have been close to winning the league.

I think we have to reach a point where teams sacrifice the income from 6/8 league games if it means the league will be more competitive, which after a while will create more interest in the league. We need to make Rangers and Celtic less competitive if we have any chance of making Scottish football attractive.

Riddley Walker

And i agree that the split is farcical, especially in the bottom six. If nothing else changes, at least playoffs should be introduced.

jamboinglasgow

It would be more competitive because if you only have to play the Old Firm 4 times instead of 8 it becomes much easier to gather points. Also, with less games to play it makes it easier to gather as much points as them as there is more of a chance to be consistent and try gather as much points as the OF. In the 97/98 season if there were 8/6 less games i reckon we would have been close to winning the league.

I think we have to reach a point where teams sacrifice the income from 6/8 league games if it means the league will be more competitive, which after a while will create more interest in the league. We need to make Rangers and Celtic less competitive if we have any chance of making Scottish football attractive.

While I agree with you, you wont win over SPL chairman with that argument. To them they prefer to have the view they will get 19 home games a year, its short term but for them it is what they look for. The problem with the way the supporters are arguing that support of the 16 team is league is it is done from a fans point of view, you have to look at it through an SPL chairman's view where he needs as much money as possible in the next year to keep the club treading water if you want to get a 16 team league. To suddenly tell a chairman that you will lose 3/4 home games but trust me it should make the league more competitive is sadly not going to work as to them its sacrificing income on what they could see is a leap of faith.

Harry Palmer

What's the point? It's all about the Arsecheeks...

Scotland can't see further than that.

My ideal leagues (stolen from the pdf above)

The Teams and Starting Divisions

Scottish Premier League (Tier 1)

Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Dunfermline, Hearts, Hibernian, Falkirk, Celtic, Rangers, Hamilton,Inverness CT, Kilmarnock, Raith, Motherwell, St Mirren, St Johnstone

Scottish Championship (Tier 2)

Airdrie, Alloa, Ayr, Brechin, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, East Fife, Forfar, Livingston, Morton, Partick,Peterhead, Queen of the South, Ross Co, Stenhousemuir, Stirling

Superleagues (Tier 3)

Highland: Banks o'Dee, Buckie, Cove, Culter, Deveronvale, Elgin, Formartine, Forres, Fraserburgh, Huntly,Inverurie, Keith, Nairn, Wick

Western: Albion, Arthurlie, Auchinleck, Beith, Clyde, Clydebank, Cumnock, Irvine Meadow, Kilbirnie, Largs Thistle, Petershill, Pollok, Queen's Park ,Rob Roy

Eastern: Arbroath, Bathgate, Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg, Camelon, Carnoustie, East Stirling, Kelty Hearts, Linlithgow,Lochee Utd, Montrose, Musselburgh, Newtongrange, Whitburn

Southern: Annan, Berwick, Civil Service, Dalbeattie, Edinburgh City, Edinburgh University, Lothian Thistle,

Preston Athletic, Spartans, Stirling Uni, Stranraer, Threave, Tynecastle, Whitehill

Divisions 1 (Tier 4)

Highland: Banchory St Ternan, Brora, Clachnacuddin, Dyce, Ellon, Hermes, Lewis Utd, Longside, Lossiemouth,Maud, Rothes, Stonehaven, Sunnybank, Turriff

Western: Annbank Utd, Ashfield, Bellshill, Cumbernauld, East Kilbride Thistle, Girvan, Glenafton, Glencairn,Kilsyth, Lanark Utd, Maybole, Neilston, Renfrew, Shotts

Eastern: Armadale Thistle, Arniston, Ballingry, Broughty Ath, Broxburn Athletic, Forfar WE, Glenrothes, Hill of

Beath, Kinnoull, Kirkcaldy YMCA, Oakley Utd, St Andrews, Tayport, Thornton

Southern: Coldstream, Craigroyston, Crichton, Eyemouth Utd, Gretna 2008, Heriot Watt, Kelso Utd, Leith,Selkirk, St Cuthbert, Vale of Leithen, Wigtown & Bladnoch

Divisions 2 (Tier 5)

Highland: Buchanhaven Hearts, Buckie Rovers, Burghead Thistle, Deveronside, East End, Forres Thistle,Fraserburgh Utd, Glentanar, Hall Russell, Hillhead, Inverness City, Islavale, Newmachar, Strathspey

Western: Blantyre Vics, Dunipace, Glasgow Perthshire, Hurlford, Johnstone Burgh, Kilwinning, Lugar BT,Shettleston, St Anthony's, Thorniewood, Troon, Vale of Clyde, Whitletts Vics, Winton Rovers

Eastern: Arbroath Vics, Blairgowrie, Dunbar Utd, Dundee North End, Dundee Violet, Dundonald, Fauldhouse,Jeanfield Swifts, Lochore, Montrose Roselea, Penicuik, Sauchie, Tranent, West Calder Utd

Southern: Abbey Vale, Creetown, Easthouses Lily, Fleet Star, Gala Fairydean, Hawick RA, Heston Rovers, Mid Annandale, Newton Stewart, Nithsdale, Ormiston, Peebles

Divisions 3 (Tier 6)

Highland: Bishopmill Utd, Cruden Bay, Dufftown, Fochabers, Fort William, Lossiemouth Utd, Nairn St Ninian,New Elgin, Parkvale, Stoneywood, Whitehills

Western: Cambuslang, Carluke Rovers, Craigmark, Dalry Thistle, Greenock, Irvine Vics, Kello Rovers, Larkhall, Maryhill, Vale of Leven, Wishaw, Yoker Athletic

Eastern: Bankfoot, Blackburn Utd, Dalkeith Thistle, Downfield, Edinburgh Utd, Haddington Athletic, Harthill, Kirrie Thistle, Lochee Harp, Lochgelly Albert, Newburgh, Rosyth, Scone Thistle, Steelend Vics

Divisions 4 (Tier 7)

Highland: Balintore, Bonar Bridge, Dingwall Thistle, Golspie, Halkirk Utd, Invergordon, Muir of Ord, RAF Lossiemouth, Tain Thistle, Thurso

Western: Ardeer Thistle, Benburb, Darvel, Forth Wanderers, Kilpatrick, Lesmahagow, Muirkirk, Newmains Utd, Port Glasgow, Royal Albert, Saltcoat Vics, St Roch's

Eastern: Arbroath SC, Brechin Vics, Coupar Angus, Crossgates, East Craigie, Forfar Albion, Livingston Utd, Luncarty, Pumpherston, Stoneyburn

Divisions 5 (Tier 8)

Western: Aitkenhead Thistle, Arkleston, Busby Amateurs, Cambria, Carlton YMCA, Castlemilk, Glencastle Sparta, Greenock HSFP, Inverclyde Ams, Oban Saints, St Joseph's, Thorn Athletic

Divisions 6 (Tier 9)

Western: Campbeltown, Celtic Community, Centre Ams, Duncanrig FP, Dunoon Ams, Eaglesham Ams, EK Rolls Royce, Finnart SC, Kilbowie Union, Kings Park Rangers, Port Glasgow OBU, Postal United

Divisions 7 (Tier 10)

Western: Clydebank College, Gourock Thistle, Haldane Utd, Inverkip Thistle, Lochgilphead, Rutherglen Ams,Shawlands FP, Sporto Ams, Tarbert, Whitehill FP

Divisions 8 (Tier 11)

Western: Auldhouse, Jamestown, Lomond Rock, Millbeg, Millerston Thistle, Port Glasgow Hibs, Rosehill Star, Rothesay Brandane, Strathaven Dynamo

will never happen though

The Gasman

......To suddenly tell a chairman that you will lose 3/4 home games but trust me it should make the league more competitive is sadly not going to work as to them its sacrificing income on what they could see is a leap of faith.

But to be able to play all these games on a Saturday afternoon, rather than midday or midweek, may increase attendances enough that the season's total remains roughly the same.

Francis Albert

And the Old Firm would only play each other twice not four times and would only play the teams that might give them a decent game twice not four times. So a bigger league would also make it even easier for the OF to gather points.

The great underestimated value of the much-maligned current structure is that there are so few meaningless games. Clubs in the top six might even go through a whole season without a single meaningless game (we have two potential near- title-deciders or title-deciders to look forward to in our last 3 games, let alone the formality of clinching 3rd) and those in the bottom six will suffer at worst three or four. In the large league structure about half the games from January or February were the sort of "nothing at stake" games that have been wowing them at Easter Road recently.

(But agreed, well said to the Dunde United chairman, the current set up is better than the proposed 10 team relegation-dominated one.)

jamboinglasgow

But to be able to play all these games on a Saturday afternoon, rather than midday or midweek, may increase attendances enough that the season's total remains roughly the same.

How can you be sure? Thats what you need to think with these chairman, they would need proof rather then ideas which may or may not work. And the only reason they are not saturday games at the moment is because of tv, with maybe 1 or 2 scheduled for mid-week games (which I actually enjoy.)

Fozzyonthefence

And the Old Firm would only play each other twice not four times and would only play the teams that might give them a decent game twice not four times. So a bigger league would also make it even easier for the OF to gather points.

The great underestimated value of the much-maligned current structure is that there are so few meaningless games. Clubs in the top six might even go through a whole season without a single meaningless game (we have two potential near- title-deciders or title-deciders to look forward to in our last 3 games, let alone the formality of clinching 3rd) and those in the bottom six will suffer at worst three or four. In the large league structure about half the games from January or February were the sort of "nothing at stake" games that have been wowing them at Easter Road recently.

(But agreed, well said to the Dunde United chairman, the current set up is better than the proposed 10 team relegation-dominated one.)

Agree with your first point - that's what happened in the late 60's and early to mid 70's when Celtic dominated (and I think Rangers were runners up most, if not all 9 seasons). There is the counter argument, though, that it is harder for a non OF team to make a title challenge when they have to play teh OF 8 times and there does seem to be some logic to that but in practice it doesn't seem to matter what size of league we have.

I don't really buy into the more meaningful games with the split though - I think that's bollox. We've got 3 pretty meaningless games coming up, other than two of them could be title deciders or have a major bearing on the title for our opponents (but who really cares who wins the league?). The three teams below us also have 3 meaningless games left as do most of the teams in the bottom 6 with relegation almost certain for Hamilton. If there was no split we or someone else would still be playing Rangers or Celtic going for the title -it would still probably go to the last day of the season and the teams at the bottom would still be in the same position.

Francis Albert

Agree with your first point - that's what happened in the late 60's and early to mid 70's when Celtic dominated (and I think Rangers were runners up most, if not all 9 seasons). There is the counter argument, though, that it is harder for a non OF team to make a title challenge when they have to play teh OF 8 times and there does seem to be some logic to that but in practice it doesn't seem to matter what size of league we have.

I don't really buy into the more meaningful games with the split though - I think that's bollox. We've got 3 pretty meaningless games coming up, other than two of them could be title deciders or have a major bearing on the title for our opponents (but who really cares who wins the league?). The three teams below us also have 3 meaningless games left as do most of the teams in the bottom 6 with relegation almost certain for Hamilton. If there was no split we or someone else would still be playing Rangers or Celtic going for the title -it would still probably go to the last day of the season and the teams at the bottom would still be in the same position.

I don't see that the opportunity to deny Rangers or Celtic (and I really don't mind which) a title is meaningless. Dundee United still have 3rd to go for (or 4th to clinch), which would (or could) mean a Europa League place. St Mirren aren't quite safe yet.

I don't know if you experienced the old 18 club league, but any meaningful game in the last half of the season was a rarity for half the clubs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13299845.stm

I'm glad Thomson and D United are sticking up for a non-10 team league. To do this would be a massively backward step and I'm actually gutted Hearts are not involved in the opposition.

16 team league, 30 games a season, long winter break, playoffs and because of all this a much more competitive league gets my vote.

I would make it 18 teams though.

And no winter break. Our weather recently was actually worse before and after the period normally suggested for one.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/13299845.stm

Yep and some patriotic mega rich guy will fund the differences in each clubs budget to allow all this "down time" in the football calendar.

Geoff Kilpatrick

What's the point? It's all about the Arsecheeks...

Scotland can't see further than that.

This, sadly.

jambo_til_i_die

Was it not this loon that, when it came to the meeting, did a total U-Turn and went with the 10-team structure, only to do another U-Turn once out the meeting after it failed to go through? Dont trust this fella one bit.

jambonian

I'm all for a 16-team League and have been for years. Some say it would be less competitive but... say Rangers play St Mirren 4 times, they're pretty much guarranteed the 12 points for the 4 wins. If they were to play St Mirren only twice a season then it makes it more competitive, your not seeing the same teams week in week out so the fans are more likely to go along for the occasion. If i'm the said St Mirren supporter, i'd rather head along to a game against say.. Dunfermline where i'm more likely to see my team win than say "i'm not going to bother going to the game today because we'll just get beat anyway".

In otherwords, i'm likely to see my team getting more points during the season playing other clubs than playing the oldfirm 8 times a season, it would be the same for every other team also.

I'd go for a 16-team League with play-offs for the bottom two playing against the 1st two in the 1st Division at the end of the season, this in itself will generate more money for these smaller clubs and crowds would be pretty decent as well with better weather conditions.

Extra income could be generated by making the League Cup two-legged affairs until the semi's, this would also help generate cash at the start of the season as well as making up for the lost League games because of reconstruction.

Archived