New version of The Hearts song

Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

A new more traditional version of The Hearts song is being brought out soon by Kenny Herbert

I personally liked his last effort but was probably swayed by playing it for the whole weekend out of the car window whilst driving through Tim Central areas in South Edinburgh,and hearing it live at Tynecastle on The Sunday after we won the cup

Its all about perception but I have never heard a version I didnt like from The One on the Hearts of Glory CD which I still play usually after a gaggle of Grey Gooses to Ross"SKI" Mcvies version which I also still have.

I had the single record of Hector Nicols version with the B side scratched off.

The People's Chimp

We might well be as serge and JJ go to Geneva to watch the draw.

I have a copy of the original on vinyl as well. The B side is a horrorshow.

Though I'm sure a few suspicious minds might be along in a minute to tell us otherwise.

Colonel Kurtz

We might well be as serge and JJ go to Geneva to watch the draw.

I have a copy of the original on vinyl as well. The B side is a horrorshow.

Though I'm sure a few suspicious minds might be along in a minute to tell us otherwise.

suspicious minds?

Did Elvis do a version as well..dont stand on my maroon suede shoes

haganajambo

Kenny Herbert's last 'modern version' was the worst version of the Hearts song there has ever been. He should just leave it at that. His last one changed the rhythm of the chorus which meant the lyrics didn't fit anymore. Great idea.

It was pretty telling that it was only played for about 2 weeks before we reverted to the original and the 86 version. Please don't bother Kenny, thanks.

marshallschunkychicken

A new more traditional version of The Hearts song is being brought out soon by Kenny Herbert

I personally liked his last effort but was probably swayed by playing it for the whole weekend out of the car window whilst driving through Tim Central areas in South Edinburgh,and hearing it live at Tynecastle on The Sunday after we won the cup

Its all about perception but I have never heard a version I didnt like from The One on the Hearts of Glory CD which I still play usually after a gaggle of Grey Gooses to Ross"SKI" Mcvies version which I also still have.

I didn't even know Craig Herbertson had done a version, as it's not on the album, just the EP. Now downloaded, cheers! :thumb:

Buffalo Bill

The '86 version is my favourite, but I also love the original recording.

All other attempts are fails imo.

The most abysmal thing of all is that toe-curling 'Jambo Tribe' album from 1992.

What was the new one that was played a few years back? Where they changed the lyrics of the players to Webster etc. I hated that one.

haganajambo

The '86 version is my favourite, but I also love the original recording.

All other attempts are fails imo.

The most abysmal thing of all is that toe-curling 'Jambo Tribe' album from 1992.

I agree whole-heartedly. Colin Chisholm's 86 one is my favourite and everyone obviously loves the original.

Unless it's an 'official' version of the song it should be left well alone.

I didn't even know Craig Herbertson had done a version, as it's not on the album, just the EP. Now downloaded, cheers! :thumb:

I like how that version is done more in the style of the Hector Nicol. A good version IMO.

Still, I don't thing anything will be as good as the Hector Nicol/80s versions.

Mr Sifter

"Come on Jambos, get on up.....Come on Jambos, get it on. Get ready, here's another one....HAIL HAIL HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN....."

Buffalo Bill

"Come on Jambos, get on up.....Come on Jambos, get it on. Get ready, here's another one....HAIL HAIL HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN....."

I wish the SEALS had shot me.

Colonel Kurtz

Kenny Herbert's last 'modern version' was the worst version of the Hearts song there has ever been. He should just leave it at that. His last one changed the rhythm of the chorus which meant the lyrics didn't fit anymore. Great idea.

It was pretty telling that it was only played for about 2 weeks before we reverted to the original and the 86 version. Please don't bother Kenny, thanks.

take it yer no a fan.

Colonel Kurtz

Christ..The Cabins getting turned into a Tesco and your coming out wi that..Ill turn on five live

moonraker

Its all about perception but I have never heard a version I didnt like from The One on the Hearts of Glory CD which I still play usually after a gaggle of Grey Gooses to Ross"SKI" Mcvies[/b] version which I also still have.

Ross the double penalty misser who put the kybosh on our trip to Wembley?

scott herbertson

There's a story behind that.

The origin of the Hearts of Glory song is that I asked Craig if he would re-record the Hearts song in the mode of modern electronic folk, with bagpipes and drums,in order to raise funds for Save our Hearts.

I had always thought that might work well and to be honest I fancied hearing it done. But Craig struggled with it as musically apparently it just doesn't work.

He wanted to do hearts justice and I gave him a copy of the Macrae's book by Jack Alexander. When he read it, he was so taken by the story that he wanted to write a song about it instead.

So the Hearts song was supposed to be the A side originally (and in fact the only song on the single)but of course when Hearts of Glory came along it was clear that had to be the one.

Drylaw Hearts

The 2006 version of The Hearts Song is shit compared to the Hector Nicol and Colin Chisholm versions.

It's best left alone imo.

Craig Herbertson

I blame my brother :whistling: - but as Scott says it was all hands to the pumps when it looked like Tynecastle was about to be sold otherwise I wouldn't have gone near it.

I've said it before but Hector Nicol's version is the only meaningful one for me. We recorded two versions for the Hearts of Glory CD. The second one we put a lot of pipes on for a bit of oomph. By terrible coincidence I uploaded the simple folky version on my website last week. It's there as free download if anyone wants another version. I've been trying to get a paypal address put on the website for the Hearts Great War memorial fund so anyone who downloads it can give a few bob to the fund if they wish but so far no one has replied. If anyone has that information here please let me have it.

I can only say that it was a desperate situation at the time and although we made sure we did it justice nobody could top Hector.

Pants Shaton

There is a version of the Hearts song on this CD:

Hearts-FC-The-Hearts-Songs-351957.jpg

Which is, without hesitation, the worst ever version - not the worst recorded version - truly the worst ever rendition of the Hearts song.

It is by someone called 'Rayne' (apologies if he posts on here - but equally the spirit of Hector Nicol deserves an apology).

Craig Herbertson

I've put up a direct link on my website to the Hearts Great war Memorial. If you want to download the folkie version its on the 'Bits and Pieces' section of www.craigherbertson.com. You can download it free but if you feel generous send a few bob via paypal to the fund.

Archived