Why do people in canoes...

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Went for a run (well jog then walk then jog repeat to heart attack :ninja: ) along the canal tonight and the boating clubs were making full use of the canal, then the above question struck me.

I'm assuming it's something to do with maximising the effort put in or some such but can anyone enlighten me?

Went for a run (well jog then walk then jog repeat to heart attack :ninja: ) along the canal tonight and the boating clubs were making full use of the canal, then the above question struck me.

I'm assuming it's something to do with maximising the effort put in or some such but can anyone enlighten me?

Rowing boats?

Konrad von Carstein

Rowing boats?

Naw the 2 man and 4 man thingys you see at the 'lympics :mellow:

hughesie27

Naw the 2 man and 4 man thingys you see at the 'lympics :mellow:

Ah, so that will be rowing boats then :ermm:

If it is rowing boats, I'm still not sure, then I think it is only tradition. In other parts of the world people also row facing the bow, but presumably this requires different equipment and technique.

Canoe folks face forward. You can get rowing boats that have fancy oars allowing you to face forward in that too.

Gig%20Harbour%20unit.jpg

Konrad von Carstein

Ah, so that will be rowing boats then :ermm:

If it is rowing boats, I'm still not sure, then I think it is only tradition. In other parts of the world people also row facing the bow, but presumably this requires different equipment and technique.

OK guys, you now know I dont know what they are (a rowing boat to me is what you take a girl out in a lake for a romanic afternoon) these are long thin things! (although I suppose the question is relavant to all these "boats")

Canoe

canoeing.jpg

Rowing Boat

400_F_15714167_ygzdwXjx1XE2CM7BtUvczHdQenW97Zew.jpg

:thumbsup:

Very droll. However, those would have to be moving images rather than stills to clinch the argument.

OK guys, you now know I dont know what they are (a rowing boat to me is what you take a girl out in a lake for a romanic afternoon) these are long thin things! (although I suppose the question is relavant to all these "boats")

You could call them racing boats or multi-rower boats. Classed as sculls if the rower has and oar in each hand and sweeps for a single oar per rower.

Konrad von Carstein

Wish I'd never asked now :lol:

I think they were sculls as described by Das Root

in an attempt to answer your question:

Facing backwards allows them to use pretty much their whole bodies to power each stroke. Facing forwards really only lets them use their arm muscles.

Thats how I understand it. Might not be right / can probably be explained more eloquently by rowing types, but thats my offering.

:)

in an attempt to answer your question:

Facing backwards allows them to use pretty much their whole bodies to power each stroke. Facing forwards really only lets them use their arm muscles.

You can use your whole body when rowing forward as well. This video shows how:

As with many water based things, it's all really a question of tradition.

You can use your whole body when rowing forward as well. This video shows how:

As with many water based things, it's all really a question of tradition.

:blink: Not sure what to make of that. Looks so clever but so wrong. :turned:

I suspect the facing the back by rowers may be something to do with being able to watch and get instructions from the helmsman in days gone by

I suspect the facing the back by rowers may be something to do with being able to watch and get instructions from the helmsman in days gone by

It's Oxford and Cambridge's favourite pasttime. It's just so they can eye up each other's arses.

:lol:

THIS IS A CANOE!!!

old-town-canoes-charles-river-lge.jpg

We've had rowing boats, kayaks and a gnu so just to clarify any confusion :wacko:

Tasavallan

And then we have the coracle, which is propelled by splashing about...

coracle2-500.jpg

The Treasurer

This reminds me of that (very) old joke.

Q: what 3 things can win by going backwards ?

A: tug-o-war team, rowing boat, and Dundee Utd smile.gif

Source: The Iron Age Book of Fun

Archived