25 Years Ago Today ,

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

Time really does fly , a day that will never leave the memory bank on 3rd May 1986 , 7 minutes remaining and diaster struck at Dens Park for all Hearts

What memories do you have of the day and how much do the 2 Scottish Cup wins go to compensate such a cruel blow to our league championship hopes that day ?

Hearts Heritage

1985-86

1985-08-10 Sat Hearts 1-1 Celtic L Premier 21786 Colquhoun; [Paul Michael Lyons McStay;] link--->

1985-08-17 Sat St Mirren 6-2 Hearts L Premier 6685 Colquhoun;Robertson; [Walter Gardner Speirs;Peter James Godfrey;Francis Peter McGarvey;Anthony Charles Fitzpatrick;Stephen Clarke;James Rooney;] link--->

1985-08-20 Tue Montrose 1-3 Hearts LC 1952 2nd Kidd;Robertson;Colquhoun; [William John Marr Sheran;] link--->

1985-08-24 Sat Rangers 3-1 Hearts L Premier 35746 Robertson; [Hugh Burns;Bobby [1] Williamson;Bobby [1] Williamson;] link--->

1985-08-27 Tue Hearts 2-1 Stirling Albion LC 4478 3rd McNaughton;Cherry; [scott Stewart Maxwell;] link--->

1985-08-31 Sat Hearts 2-1 Hibernian L Premier 17457 Colquhoun;Clark; [Gordon Scott Durie;] link--->

1985-09-04 Wed Aberdeen 1-0 Hearts LC 13066 QF [John Eric Black;] link--->

1985-09-07 Sat Aberdeen 3-0 Hearts L Premier 12226 [William Stark;Paul Hamilton Wright;John Eric Black;] link--->

1985-09-14 Sat Hearts 2-0 Dundee United L Premier 7617 MacDonald R;Robertson; link--->

1985-09-21 Sat Motherwell 2-1 Hearts L Premier 4806 Jardine I; [Andrew Harrow;John Gahagan;] link--->

1985-09-28 Sat Clydebank[4] 1-0 Hearts L Premier 3583 [David Alexander Lloyd;] link--->

1985-10-05 Sat Hearts 1-1 Dundee L Premier 8512 Jardine I; [Derek McWilliams;] link--->

1985-10-12 Sat Celtic 0-1 Hearts L Premier 26683 Robertson; link--->

1985-10-19 Sat Hearts 3-0 St Mirren L Premier 8618 Robertson;Robertson;Mackay G; link--->

1985-10-30 Wed Hearts 1-0 Aberdeen L Premier 12866 Levein; link--->

1985-11-02 Sat Dundee United 1-1 Hearts L Premier 10142 Jardine I; [Charles Richard Gough;] link--->

1985-11-09 Sat Hibernian 0-0 Hearts L Premier 19776 link--->

1985-11-16 Sat Hearts 3-0 Rangers L Premier 23083 Clark;Clark;Robertson; link--->

1985-11-23 Sat Hearts 3-0 Motherwell L Premier 10119 Clark;Clark;Jardine I; link--->

1985-11-30 Sat Hearts 4-1 Clydebank[4] L Premier 10267 Berry;Clark;Robertson;Black pen; [Martin Hughes;] link--->

1985-12-07 Sat Dundee 1-1 Hearts L Premier 10780 Jardine I; [John Brown;] link--->

1985-12-14 Sat Hearts 1-1 Celtic L Premier 22163 Robertson; [Mark Edward McGhee;] link--->

1985-12-21 Sat St Mirren 0-1 Hearts L Premier 6498 Black pen; link--->

1985-12-28 Sat Rangers 0-2 Hearts L Premier 33588 Colquhoun;Colquhoun; link--->

1986-01-01 Wed Hearts 3-1 Hibernian L Premier 25605 Jardine I;Robertson;Clark; [Colin Harris;] link--->

1986-01-04 Sat Motherwell 1-3 Hearts L Premier 10131 Jardine I;Berry;Robertson; [John Paul Reilly;] link--->

1986-01-11 Sat Hearts 1-1 Dundee United L Premier 19043 Mackay G; [Eamonn John Bannon;] link--->

1986-01-18 Sat Aberdeen 0-1 Hearts L Premier 20216 Colquhoun; link--->

1986-01-25 Sat Hearts 3-2 Rangers SC 27442 3rd McAdam;Mackay G;Robertson; [Alistair Murdoch McCoist;Iain Durrant;] link--->

1986-02-01 Sat Clydebank[4] 1-1 Hearts L Premier 5837 Clark; [David Thow Shanks;] link--->

1986-02-08 Sat Hearts 3-1 Dundee L Premier 15065 Colquhoun;Robertson;Mackay G; [Vince Mennie;] link--->

1986-02-22 Sat Celtic 1-1 Hearts L Premier 42346 Robertson; [Maurice Thomas Johnston;] link--->

1986-03-03 Mon Hamilton Academical 1-2 Hearts SC 10000 4th Robertson;Mackay G; [John Gerald Brogan;] link--->

1986-03-09 Sun Hearts 4-1 St Mirren SC 20655 QF Colquhoun;Robertson;Black;Robertson pen; [Francis Peter McGarvey;] link--->

1986-03-15 Sat Hearts 2-0 Motherwell L Premier 12071 MacDonald R;Robertson pen; link--->

1986-03-22 Sat Hibernian 1-2 Hearts L Premier 20756 Clark;Robertson pen; [steven J Cowan;] link--->

1986-03-25 Tue Hearts 3-0 St Mirren L Premier 13287 Levein;Robertson;Clark; link--->

1986-03-29 Sat Hearts 3-1 Rangers L Premier 24740 Robertson;Robertson pen;Clark; [Alistair Murdoch McCoist pen;] link--->

1986-04-05 Sat Dundee United 0-1 Hearts SC 30797 SF Colquhoun; link--->

1986-04-12 Sat Dundee United 0-3 Hearts L Premier 19878 Robertson;Clark;Robertson; link--->

1986-04-20 Sun Hearts 1-1 Aberdeen L Premier 19047 Colquhoun; [Peter Russell Weir pen;] link--->

1986-04-26 Sat Hearts 1-0 Clydebank[4] L Premier 20198 Mackay G; link--->

1986-05-03 Sat Dundee 2-0 Hearts L Premier 19567 [Albert Kidd;Albert Kidd;] link--->

1986-05-10 Sat Aberdeen 3-0 Hearts SC 58841 Final [John Hewitt;John Hewitt;William Stark;] link--->

Ecce Romanov

I actually started supporting Hearts the year after (even though I was 15 in 86). My dad was a Hibby and never went to any games (no change there then!).

It was my neighbour that took me to my first Hearts game. I do remember watching the news (or was it Grandstand?)on the 3rd though and seeing all the Jambos disconsolate at Dens. In a way I'm kinda glad I didn't support Hearst then! :whistling:

All uphill from then!

Geoff Kilpatrick

And 5 years ago....

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, LA LA LA!

Jambof3tornado

This is the reason that its important to really enjoy the good times as a Hearts fan,because the near misses hurt so much.

Horrible, horrible day, the demons of which could only be exorcised by that weekend in 1998. Some in Leith would argue this is denial, but they're hardly in a position to empathise :rolleyes:.

I think defeating Aberdeen on the Wednesday night in October was the real turning point, as they'd already beaten us twice that season and we really grew in strength from that victory.

Quarter of a century. :mellow:

Jamhammer

I was convinced that I would never see Hearts win anything in my lifetime so 1998 very much made up for 1986 and 2006 was just the icing on the cake!

1986 was still a great season and one to be proud of.

This. I'd only been supporting Hearts for 3 years and hardly missed a game that season. My brother in law was and is a lifelong Jambo. He was inconsolable. The bus ride out of there was awful. I wish I'd been with him in 98 but went on me own, on the train and didn't have a drink until I got back to Edinburgh. I will never forget either day. I got married in 86 too. 25 years. Seems like yesterday.

What an awesome season it was, Mr Mercer's greatest season bringing us from the verge of bankruptcy to within 7 minutes of being Champions.

The Doctor

Walking out of Dens over a sea of maroon and white scarves.

Seeing grown men crying.

Seeing grown men too stunned to cry.

Stopping my Dad getting into a fight with some old worthy in a hotel between Dundee and Perth after the game. We were supposed to meet up with a group of guys to celebrate, but of course they never showed.

Listening to the Radio Forth DJ playing the Hearts song on the way back down the road and feeling bittersweet about the season.

I was a pretty naive 14 year old, I'd only been going to games for a couple of years and I didn't really get it. I mean I was disappointed but I didn't understand the significance, the magnitude of what had happened.

I've watched the highlights of the match many times since and it gets worse every time.

Still, I wouldn't swap it for the memories of any other team. Any stupid hibbys who think they can take the piss today have no idea what they are talking about. They will never know, never experience the emotion, the joy and the hurt, the high and low of that day and the memories that I would not trade for anything (except perhaps a different result!).

We were magnificent.

Clerry Jambo

Still get choked watching that again............BUT a truly marvellous season

Tams bird

I remember the noise of the ball hitting the back of the net and the silence...

superjack

can't believe that it's 25 years ago.

that day will live with me forever.

i remember coming out of dens not quite sure why grown men were crying , as i was only 13 at the time.

i said to my da"but surely we will win the league next year"

i soon learned the truth though.

it is a season that still fills me with pride

and it is the season that the football world was told"hearts are no longer a yo-yo club , we are back"

16/05/98 the day that made up for it

alfamonkey

My first season going to games with my dad as a 7/8 year old - going to most of home games and about 1/3 of away games.

The excitement of driving to Dens, my mum's first (and last) ever football match). My mum, dad's pal and his family in the centre stand, my dad going in the terracing. Having a celebration meal booked for journey home. Not going to it. Seeing "Championees" flags, t-shirts being sold all over place - a sea of maroon.

Crying my eyes out on the way home, not really understanding it all, how could we have NOT won the league ?

The rest I guess is fill gathered together from the various documentaries filmed over the years. Made 1998 sooooo much more meaningful. The sight of Robbo lifting the cup was so emotional as he was the link between 2 of the greatest teams we have ever had. 2006 final was an anti climax in comparison.

As I am similar age group to Buffalo Bill, related to so much in that as I think was his first season too.

All in all, adds to the reason why we love the club so much. Kind of like what Hands off Hibs means to Hibs fans and strengthening their emotional link to their club - the highs mean so much more beacause of the lows. Can Old Firm fans really feel that ?

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Time really does fly , a day that will never leave the memory bank on 3rd May 1986 , 7 minutes remaining and diaster struck at Dens Park for all Hearts

What memories do you have of the day and how much do the 2 Scottish Cup wins go to compensate such a cruel blow to our league championship hopes that day ?

I knew there was a reason I was feeling unusually glum today

bighalders

I started watching Hearts when they were in the 1st division (late 70s) so to go from that to 85/86 was amazing, but that day was awful. I remember getting back to Tynie, thousands getting off the buses yet not a sound. Our cup wins since have been great but don't make up for losing the league

Alex McDonald - what a ledgend, Wallace Mercer - true Hearts saviour, Hearts ledgend, then Robbo, Sandy, the list goes on, truly great great great times, phenominal atmosphere at Tynie then toooo

Me too.

A great season, but a traumatic day that still haunts me.

Denny Crane

Shell-shocked. Absolutely shell-shocked. Didn't know I had been crying until a fellow Jambo offered a tissue long after full-time. For some reason I saw the highlights (Mum thought seeing Liverpool clinch the title down south would cheer me up without realising our game would also be shown). My Mum was quite shocked at the outburst of swearing coming from her wee boy when Kidd's first went in.

Robbo-Jambo

This for me too. The noise of the net moving (was right behind the goal), the silence and finding myself staring at the referee willing him to blow for a free kick or something, anything. :(

Horrible, horrible day ending like a huge funeral procession heading out of Dens Park and onto the buses which were also silent apart from the noise of people in tears. :(

Went to every game that season, I was 18....character building is how I describe it ! I have no interest in ever seeing the game again but wish we had some of those players in our team nowadays no one should ever underestimate how well we played that season, matches at Tannadice & Ibrox really stand out. JC, MacKay,Robbo and Sandy Clark were superb to watch during that period.

davemclaren

Doesn't seem like 25 years ago to be honest. A great season but it can't be described as anything other than a sad day. However, given where Hearts had come from just a few years earlier it showed that we were back, which looked completely unlikely in the late 70s and early 80s.

I didn't cry that season but did when we won the cup in 98. :thumbsup:

I was only 8 back then but was on the 4 in Hand bus with my Dad.I can remember bits of it.Not much though.

I can remember someone having a ghetto blaster on the bus :lol:

davemclaren

I was only 8 back then but was on the 4 in Hand bus with my Dad.I can remember bits of it.Not much though.

I can remember someone having a ghetto blaster on the bus :lol:

Which 4 in Hand?

Which 4 in Hand?

Poltonhall.

I used to stay in Cameron Crescent.

Edit::: Gary Mackay bus I think?

Victorian

i remember a bunch of arseholes ripping the piss out of a policeman on the bus back down to the train station... like that was some sort of consolation for what happened. their constant moronic abuse only making my misery even worse.

i remember quite a few celtic fans giving the football special train the big yeeha all along the route back to edinburgh.

i remember some fantastic games to be at along the way.

CF11JamTart

Really good article. I was also amused to read the words "pointless Hibernian". So true in a number of ways.

Really proud of what the team achieved in 1985/6. Especially given the late 70s / early 80s yo-yo nature of the team.

1985/6 was when we stopped being a yo-yo club and became a club with aspiration and expectation: after all, we'll get our knickers in a twist if we don't finish 3rd this season.

Much much better to have had 1985/6 than not.

I have to admit though, that I personally found the 1988 Cup semifinal more of a hammer-blow. At that point I thought that I'd never see the JTs win anything in my lifetime. Then came 1998...

davemclaren

Poltonhall.

I used to stay in Cameron Crescent.

Edit::: Gary Mackay bus I think?

I was on that bus that day...and many other days. :thumbsup:

I was on that bus that day...and many other days. :thumbsup:

Do you remember when Robbo came out to the pub? I've got a picture of me sitting on his knee :lol:

davemclaren

Do you remember when Robbo came out to the pub? I've got a picture of me sitting on his knee :lol:

Get it posted. :D

saw Henry smith tonight at sight hill powerleague, never mentioned the date as I jogged past him!!!

11 years old at the time, listening on the radio with scarf on!! locked myself in the bathroom for an hour as soon as the 2nd went in, actually physically ran out of tears I think. remember my dad trying to talk me out as I had a party to go to, needless to say I wasn't in the mood but got forced to go!!

horrible horrible day

grumpy rebus

I remember trying hard to remain composed at Dens, but losing it when i bumped into a fellow Jambo in the services at Stirling (on the way to meet bird in Glasgow).

1998 was an altogether happier type of tears.

Malinga the Swinga

Saw the evening hibby managed to run article again, just to rub Hearts noses in it. Don't forget the date, but don' dwell on it either. More important games happened on the 16th May 1998 and 13th May 2006 (not forgetting 3rd April 2006).

Wonder if they will print any articles about these ones.

gorgie_rebel

Thats what I remember.

The feeling of that day will never ever leave me.

What a season though

Silvery_Moon

Scary that 25 years have passed by since then.

Was my first season as a season ticket holder in the old North Stand.

I didn't make it to Dens that day (I'd been at the 1-1 match at Dens before Christmas) as I was only 9 and my dad and uncle were on a fair drinking session.

Sat listening to it on the radio and yes - I did cry.

I had no emotion at the Cup Final - the damage had been done.

1998 (and to a lesser extent 2006) did exorcise the ghosts to a degree but to come so close to an actual league title was something amazing. Like others I was so young I believed we'd win it the next year but sadly the next season was to be another lesson in what being a Hearts fan was all about.

Don't regret anything though - it's what makes us who we are. :)

J Cheever Loophole

The same for me,we were right behind the goal level with the crossbar.I wouldn't swap that season for anything,proud of the team,proud of the club,and proud to be a Jambo.

I was 15, remember vividly as i was getting ready to get picked up before the game, overhearing my dad talking to my mum, telling her that he hoped to god i didn?t have to go through what he had in the killie game back in '65...those words haunted me all the way back down the road.

we were at the foot of the terracing and ended up on the trackside after the second goal carried over in sway of grief and anger, the numbness of those few minutes still stay with me forever, but so will the sense of pride in that team of youngsters and journeymen that came so close.

And for all our hobo brethren having a good giggle at this thread, my only solace is knowing that you will never, ever, ever come even close to the posistion we played ourselves into that season.

Hearts Heritage

It was the defining moment of anyone now between the ages of 35ish to 55-60.

We didn't know the glory years other than by word of mouth. 1985-86 creeped up on us ... Because of the poor start, the other teams having games postponed because of the World Cup match in Oz.

It was only when we beat Dundee United 3-0 that it really became a reality. The ironic thing that day was we cheered Celtic winning 1-0 at Aberdeen.

But they do remember runners up , everyone knows that season will forever belong to Hearts .

Archived