Novikovas

scott_jambo

scott_jambo

I am assuming he is not doing anything of note at St. johnstone.

Anyone confirm?

Just finishing my lemon chicken

Alan Johnson

Noticed that he didn't make the squad for Easter Road on Saturday and seems to have been an unused sub a few times as well. Shame for him, think he was unlucky that he joined just as the guy May scored a couple of goals and just mustn't have been able to force his way into the side. With retrospect he would have been better off staying here for the amount of game time he's got.

Boomstick

I don't think he will make it with us I'm afraid.

:what:

He's one of the best youngsters we have.

A loan spell where he gets game time would be brilliant for him. We'll sell Driver or Temps at some point, he'll get his shot and I'm sure I read that JJ rated him as one of the most talented footballers he's worked with.

wright1989

Novi will be a HUGE player for us. Wait and see.

His shooting accuracy is top notch. Once he has a full season of playing games and his composure kicks in he'll score 10+ a season.

Sitting by the bay window Scott??

Don't think McInnes was too impressed. He's a funny sort of laddie apprently: very difficult to motivate and comes over as not giving a shit.

I don't think JJ and BB think that to be the case, but they're trying all they can to bring him out of himself. Apparently unbelievable at training - best we've got, noone can touch him, but they just can't get that bit of aggression and winning mentality you need into him.

Has to be remembered he's 19 and been away from home since 16 so hopefully it'll come.

Thing is he has the talent to change a game in the blink of a eye. Just the first touch on the laddie. He's a bit like me but not as good looking.

The Merse

I'm not convinced he will either.

I'd say it's an outside chance that he will TBH.

Not being able to force his way into a St Johnstone team which has been devoid of creativity and crying out for someone to create chances and he's barely had a look in isn't a promising sign.

Living in Perth I obviously know a lot of Saints fans. Whenever i'ved asked about Novikovas they have said they've not been impressed. I don't think he has played much though.

A loan spell where he gets game time would be brilliant for him. We'll sell Driver or Temps at some point, he'll get his shot and I'm sure I read that JJ rated him as one of the most talented footballers he's worked with.

Apart from a cross for Kyle to score at New Year I can't recall him doing anything of note :blink:

Hope I'm wrong but I doubt I am.

scott herbertson

Apart from a cross for Kyle to score at New Year I can't recall him doing anything of note :blink:

Aberdeen game?

The Merse

He scored a good, albeit deflected goal against the Sheep too.

I certainly wouldn't write him off but at the moment I'm not all that hopeful.

Boomstick

Scored against Elgin too.

Give him time. He needs games.

super_vlad

i agree with you, maybe the type of player who needs a arm around him i think. His goal against aberdeen was classed!

Dave Spacey

He definatly has the ability to make it. Whether he has it mentally is yet to be seen.

He needs games, I'm 65% sure he will make it. Just needs confidence.

Sten Guns

Some more of this.

The Merse

He definatly has the ability to make it. Whether he has it mentally is yet to be seen.

He needs games, I'm 65% sure he will make it. Just needs confidence.

65%?

I'm only about 52.4% personally.

Hearts of Vladland

I remember people on Kickback said Lee Wallace would never make it at Hearts, this is all.

upthehill

He got an injury just as he moved to Perth, it held him back from being match fit. A bit like Driver just now, clearly a talented boy, but short of match fitness. Novi can make it. Scored a good goal away at Gillingham in preseason aswell. I like him.

jambojim1986

He is gonna be a star. Must be hard for the laddie as he is still young. Bags of talent though. A season in the 1st division on loan would help him come on and toughen him up.

Jambof3tornado

He is gonna be a star. Must be hard for the laddie as he is still young. Bags of talent though. A season in the 1st division on loan would help him come on and toughen him up.

Or put him off staying in scotland. Let him stay with the 1st team and fight for a start.

after the blackburn pre-season game i over heard a group of blackburn fans gushing over him saying they would love a player like that.

he picked us over Benfica too.

IMO he has the potential to be our best winger

Jambof3tornado

after the blackburn pre-season game i over heard a group of blackburn fans gushing over him saying they would love a player like that.

Technically the most gifted player for a while.

The Merse

Technically the most gifted player for a while.

Based on what exactly?

jamboinglasgow

I remember the Blackburn Rovers then assistant manager (now manager) Kean raving about Novikovas. As IBH says JJ and BB are just trying to get Novikovas to unleash his potential by curing his shyness and hunger, if they can get that sorted then he will be some player. I think it is worth persisting with him, as if they succeed he will be some player (based on what I have seen of him in Under 19 matches and reserves.)

Based on what exactly?

the blackburn game and two sub appearances against hibs and aberdeen have shown that he can play some great stuff when he is up for it

Flankengott

He did have a very good game in the pre-season match against Blackburn. I also saw him on TV for Lithuania U21s against England where he looked very impressive (might have been in central midfield that night.). He's definitely a talented footballer but just might not suit Scottish football. By that I mean that players here are not usually looking for the precise balls into feet that he probably wants to play, and he might not be getting balls played to him where he is confident of accepting the ball. I remember watching Vincent Guerin playing for Hearts, making a pass and then looking for the return ball on the edge of the box but never getting the return pass. He put himself in good positions and was confident of taking the pass in a tight space, but the other players seemed not to believe it was possible to create anything from the position he was in, and preferred the hopeful ball forward to a central defender with the chance of a scuffle for the second ball. I think Novikovas may be similar.

Even if his loan deal with St Johnstone isn't productive, it may still a) have opened his eyes up to a wider world and B) make him damn pleased to be back at Tynie.

He is a exceptionally talented footballer from what I've seen of him, so if JJ & BB look to nurture him gradually then I have faith in their ability to bring him out of his shell. I certainly hope so, he's a real prospect.

Patrick Bateman

I, personally, love writing-off 19 year olds because I'm a middle aged nobody with very little satisfaction and meaning left in my otherwise pointless life, and such seething brings me a glowing sense of catharsis and self-worth.

:paterson:

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I, personally, love writing-off 19 year olds because I'm a middle aged nobody with very little satisfaction and meaning left in my otherwise pointless life, and such seething brings me a glowing sense of catharsis and self-worth.

:rofl: :rofl:

Forgot about that.

Still not convinced.

As stubborn as a mule

scott_jambo

laugh.gif

He is an incredibly talented youngster but not all talented youngsters "make it". We will see.

steven100

Novi is good at attacking but his defensive skills are not hot. Next season hopefully he'll do well.

Jambof3tornado

Based on what exactly?

Watching the lad play and talking about him with a few Hearts coaches.

innerjambo

He is clearly talented with plenty of skill, but far too lightweight for the spl. He is a similar build

to Temps, but where as I can see temps making progress, bulking up, and not being shoved of the ball so easily, I cant

see the same thing happening with Novikovas. I think the spl is just a bit too rough and ready for him.

Jambof3tornado

Novi is good at attacking but his defensive skills are not hot. Next season hopefully he'll do well.

Bit like our hero and potential matchwinner Rudi then?

He is clearly talented with plenty of skill, but far too lightweight for the spl. He is a similar build

to Temps, but where as I can see temps making progress, bulking up, and not being shoved of the ball so easily, I cant

see the same thing happening with Novikovas. I think the spl is just a bit too rough and ready for him.

He's 3 years younger than Temps!!!

Seems to be forgotten that Temps is only a year younger than Driver and something like 5 or 6 months younger than Eggy. All young lads, but Temps gets talked about like he's a kid.

Not a go at Temps at all, infact not his fault he didn't break into the team earlier by all accounts - Csaba shoulda been picking him a year before he broke through.

He simply can't be compared to Arvy in terms of "readiness" or physciality.

Plenty slight and wee players make it in Scotland. Talent is what he has in spades and it'll show if he attaches the right attitude to it.

I like him a lot from what i've seen (and heard). He isn't just tanner baw, he has end product- a touch of vision and the technique to carry it out (see his cross for big Kev v Hibs). He's still learning all the facets required but could be a massive player for us in a year or two, not to mention make the club millions.

As I've discussed on another thread though - the progression of youth players can be a lottery, so you never know. We can only give the laddie the best chance we can and then its up to him I suppose.

Clerry Jambo

He's 3 years younger than Temps!!!

Seems to be forgotten that Temps is only a year younger than Driver and something like 5 or 6 months younger than Eggy. All young lads, but Temps gets talked about like he's a kid.

Not a go at Temps at all, infact not his fault he didn't break into the team earlier by all accounts - Csaba shoulda been picking him a year before he broke through.

He simply can't be compared to Arvy in terms of "readiness" or physciality.

Plenty slight and wee players make it in Scotland. Talent is what he has in spades and it'll show if he attaches the right attitude to it.

I like him a lot from what i've seen (and heard). He isn't just tanner baw, he has end product- a touch of vision and the technique to carry it out (see his cross for big Kev v Hibs). He's still learning all the facets required but could be a massive player for us in a year or two, not to mention make the club millions.

As I've discussed on another thread though - the progression of youth players can be a lottery, so you never know. We can only give the laddie the best chance we can and then its up to him I suppose.

I agree bud

With possibly Suso away in the summer and Driver struggling at the moment to find fitness, wee Novi could find more opportunities next season.

grumpy rebus

Only problem he's had in Perth is that their pitch is like a ploughed field. Not ideal for his style of play.

itsnomarooned

Obviously I don't know why he doesn't get much of a game at St J but I see little point in loaning him to anyone unless he's, almost, guaranteed a start - which to my mind points towards a lower league team. If he's potentially a slightly bigger fish in terms of talent then wouldn't this go a long way to instilling a level of confidence he seems to have lacked when playing for us?

Jambof3tornado

Obviously I don't know why he doesn't get much of a game at St J but I see little point in loaning him to anyone unless he's, almost, guaranteed a start - which to my mind points towards a lower league team. If he's potentially a slightly bigger fish in terms of talent then wouldn't this go a long way to instilling a level of confidence he seems to have lacked when playing for us?

Not sure that being kicked up and down the park in the 1st or 2nd division would benefit Ardy. Let him stay and fight for a place!

itsnomarooned

Not sure that being kicked up and down the park in the 1st or 2nd division would benefit Ardy. Let him stay and fight for a place!

I'm not so sure it would necessarily do him any harm to be honest. It's a bit of a misnomer (I think) to suggest that this would somehow spoil an otherwise creative player. Let's face it, this is a tough physical game and players need to learn how to handle it. I rarely watch Spanish football but when I do Messi appears to get the sh1t kicked out of him at every opportunity, likewise with, for example, the Brazilian league - it appears to be very very tough but it doesn't stop them producing very skillful players.

My point was that if we need to loan a player to give them game time then we need to engineer a loan to a club who are, all things being equal, going to play him on a regular basis.

Getintaethem

I like this post.

Well after watching most of the dross and allegedly the best that the 'mad one' has sent over from Lithuania, I personally think this guy has 'REAL talent' whether the coaching staff we have, or Scotland is the right place for him ? The question is, can we take him forward, well that is another question. ? I would like to think so. thumbsup.gif

Archived