Brines and Houston

Victorian

Victorian

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/05/report-osama-bin-laden-is-dead/1?csp=ipmps

PETER HOUSTON admitted he lost the plot with ref Iain Brines in the tunnel at Parkhead yesterday - because he refused to book Beram Kayal.

The Dundee United boss was mystified that Kayal escaped a caution for fouling Craig Conway.

He was more baffled after claiming Brines told him he'd have booked Kayal 'on another day'.

Houston blasted: "I was disappointed with the ref. I can't understand why Kayal can take Conway out and not get booked for it.

"Jon Daly did exactly the same thing to Charlie Mulgrew and got a booking. I asked the ref for an explanation in the tunnel and he said: 'on another day it would have been a booking.'

"What is all that about? What does that mean?

"I asked for a further explanation but he just walked away.

"By this stage I was just ranting and I lost my composure. I am completely baffled as to why he said what he did.

"I am now going to phone referee supervisor John Fleming because I need clarification.

"I want clarification on what days you get a yellow card for that and what days you don't."

While the display of Brines left Housty raging, he was more frustrated at the way his side fell apart. United can still clinch third spot and European football - but the gaffer admits they will be relying on favours from the Old Firm if they want to leapfrog Hearts.

He added: "Hearts play the Old Firm in their next two games and I have to hope we win our next two and they lose both of theirs.

"I'd love to be in a situation with a winner takes all at Tannadice on the last day."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3558392/Housty-in-rage-with-ref-Brines.html#ixzz1LBprLuQO

houston going for :clarification: and no wonder. as if this league couldn't get any more farcical. referees admitting that they don't apply the laws of the game properly.

:vrface:

The Treasurer

The inevitable outcome of this will be that Brines will deny saying anything and Houston will be either fined or asked to explain his comments and then fined.

Drylaw Hearts

Ian Brines is without doubt the worst Ref in the SPL.

He's an imbecile.

mahgrassyshoes

He's an imbecile.

Very much this. I never understand the very rare occasion someone says "I don't think he's that bad." He's fecking terrible.

ToadKiller Dog

He's an imbecile.

Seems he thinks he is an untouchable imbecile and he most likely is hence his comment to Houston .

Bet we get him for the Celtic game .

rossthejambo

He's an imbecile.

I think you're being kind.

Harry Palmer

Never watched the shite match but when I realised Brines was the ref there was only one outcome...

See the match thread.

How he continues to get Sellick matches is a joke.

He's a shite ref and most likely a shite copper who doesn't want to get any hassle.

Toxteth O'Grady

If Brines had said that to Lennon he would be history.

It will be swept under the carpet as usual.

He's a shite ref and most likely a shite copper who doesn't want to get any hassle.

And this is the scariest thing about the man!

Time and time again he is shown up for making arbitrary decisions, glib remarks to managers etc and of course he will never, ever reverse a decision when one of his red cards is appealled. Why? Because if he says he called it wrong, the next time he is giving evidence in court as part of his day job any defence lawyer could use that to discredit the evidence he is giving. (imo) The fact this guy, who gets it wrong so often on the park, is responsible for apprehending criminals is quite scary.

Victorian

one can only assume that neil lennon, peter lawwell, john reid and paul mcbride are literally falling over each other to start a campaign to have brines removed from the SFA list of referees, or at least from future celtic matches.

i mean... if they aren't then wouldn't that make them all slightly hypocritical?

i'm sure they wouldn't want to appear that way.

<_<

Amazing to think that a copper looked at the evidence on tv for Zal and still didn't change his mind.Never rated the guy since that Motherwell game when he booked Elliot and Rudi,both terrible decisions.Crap ref though never thought of him as a cheat like Macdonald.

Vlad-Stupid

Like Jim says, I await the reaction from the freedom fighters and self appointed people's champions of the SPL with bated breath

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I hope Housty does pursue this... No that you'd read or hear as much about it in the media as we did for Dougiegate right enough.

durhamhearts

I watched the game and thought at the time well thats him in the book, like Houston I couldn't believe the ref only gave him a verbal warning then I remembered what a tool Brines is and if he genuinly said "on another day that would have been a booking" he deserves to go down the route of Dougie Mcdonald but I can hear the carpet getting lifted ready to sweep sweep sweep at the SFA HQ

Victorian

if brines had told houston "aw naw big guy, ye ken ah canny give the bookin' but ah tell ye what though, i'll make it up tae ye the next time ah ref wan ay yer games. i'll put in for the hearts match, just help me oot here and i'll see ye awright".

i would not be in the least surprised.

maybe that's what the underlying message actually is.

Harry Palmer

Too many years Mothy.

47 is the SPL retirement and 45 UEFA.?

3yrs or something...

Bet he's in charge for our Sellick game.... Dick.

Harry Palmer

And this is the scariest thing about the man!

Time and time again he is shown up for making arbitrary decisions, glib remarks to managers etc and of course he will never, ever reverse a decision when one of his red cards is appealled. Why? Because if he says he called it wrong, the next time he is giving evidence in court as part of his day job any defence lawyer could use that to discredit the evidence he is giving. (imo) The fact this guy, who gets it wrong so often on the park, is responsible for apprehending criminals is quite scary.

I'm Brines...I like power.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Arnold,

Gutted... Dishonourable discharge it must be then. Go get 'i'm Housty!

Didn't the ref at "that" game v dundee in 1986 says he refused us the penalty because it was too early in the match?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

LF,

All the qualities needed for a successfull ref's career in Scotland.

Didn't the ref at "that" game v dundee in 1986 says he refused us the penalty because it was too early in the match?

I thought he admitted he did not give it as he was from Edinburgh and it would look questionable.

Harry Palmer

Let's not have this thread distracted to some event I can't remember.....

So Brines?

Arsehole.

Chad Sexington

Easily the worst ref in the country.

Brines is an incompetent moron.

The big problem is, he's a petty , arrogant, vindictive, incompetent moron with a grudge against Hearts.

That makes him dangerous.

I hope he goes the same way as MacHobo. :down:

Tokyo Drifter

Worst ref in the SPL I think. Still spit blood when I think of that red card against Celtic.

Brines calls Houston a liar.

The G.F.A rally round Brines.

As sure as night follows day.

That will be the outcome.

The statement months ago that we have to referee the old firm differently.

That is what is wrong.

Its corrupt.

It makes Scottish football the laughing stock of the world.

Doncaster and Regen have not made a bit of difference.

Both made a good start when they came in but both are now under the control of the old firm.

And we are back to plodding along.

Eckauskas

He's a horrible excuse for a man.

I'll never forget the day an ITV documentary referred to him as 'top FIFA official, Iain Brines.'.

I doubt he's an imbecile like people make out, I reckon he knows exactly what he's doing and just doesn't give a shit.

Brines calls Houston a liar.

The G.F.A rally round Brines.

As sure as night follows day.

That will be the outcome.

The statement months ago that we have to referee the old firm differently.

That is what is wrong.

Its corrupt.

It makes Scottish football the laughing stock of the world.

Doncaster and Regen have not made a bit of difference.

Both made a good start when they came in but both are now under the control of the old firm.

And we are back to plodding along.

No-one has rallied around anyone yet (I think).

And as the Scotland Manager's No.2, they (SFA) have to be sure which horse to pick.

I saw the tackle and have to say I was amazed it wasn't a booking. It was a calculated lunge that stopped a 3 on 3 situation for United, nowhere near the ball. It was a booking EVERY day of the week. How close is Kayal to a suspension? If he'd gone over the points limit yesterday he'd have missed their last game.

He's an imbecile.

The guy's a disgrace. If he'd reffed our games against hibs and dutd with any consistency or integrity, we'd have won both games and this season end would be a whole lot better. Prick.

Harry Palmer

Baird's Hair....

Puts the signature on the deal.... :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

Easily the worst ref in the country.

Brines is an incompetent moron.

The big problem is, he's a petty , arrogant, vindictive, incompetent moron with a grudge against Hearts.

That makes him dangerous.

I hope he goes the same way as MacHobo. :down:

100% this!

I'll never forgive the man for viewing the Zaliukas sending off at Pittodrie after a Hearts appeal, and STILL claiming that Zal was the perpetrator in all that, it shows the man up for what he truly is, a bent. cheating, corrupt, arrogant, attention seeking, welt of a man, he deserves a triple leg break to end his career as it would do everyone in Scottish football a huge favour (apart from the Old Firm of course)

Bob Loblaw

Peter Houston can ram off as far as I'm concerned, he claimed Danny Swanson was an honest player and wouldn't dive, despite doing just that and getting a St Johnstone player red carded the other week.

As for worst ref, I'm going for Willie Collum, although Brines is horrific.

Can't understand the consternation. The media tell us that not booking a Rangers/Celtic player in the first five minutes of an OF game, regardless of the severity, is evidence of wise refereeing- 'he'd just be making a rod for his own back'. It's no secret that referees apply different standards when officiating either of the bilious behemoths and managers, such as Houston, should expect it when playing against them.

colinmaroon

Never watched the shite match but when I realised Brines was the ref there was only one outcome...

See the match thread.

How he continues to get Sellick matches is a joke.

It doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to see him lowering over a driver, grinning as he books him while making smart assed comments, knowing that there's little the driver can do about it!

colinmaroon

Can't understand the consternation. The media tell us that not booking a Rangers/Celtic player in the first five minutes of an OF game, regardless of the severity, is evidence of wise refereeing- 'he'd just be making a rod for his own back'. It's no secret that referees apply different standards when officiating either of the bilious behemoths and managers, such as Houston, should expect it when playing against them.

Bilious Behemoths - I love that!!!

jambonian

Yes, he was once interviewed in the paper around the time of the Mikoliunas/Andy Davis saga. He was a Hearts fan aswell but said he didn't want to give the penalty because it was early in the match and as he was Hearts fan, didn't want to show bias towards us as everyone at GFA headquarters knew he was! Thing that grates is that Clark was brought down, it was a definite penalty, had it been a fan of Rangers or Celtic and he was refereeing one of their games you can bet your bottom dollar the penalty would've been given!

colinmaroon

He's an imbecile.

The only thing about saying he's an imbecile is that it means he's not responsible for his actions, or rather, he has the 'loopy' get out clause!

He knows fine what he's doing!

There is much more than circumstantial evidence to prove that he's a cheat!

Spellczech

There is a questionable decision or some whiff of scandal or corruption in just about every game Brines seems to referee...Strange that this guy has not been investigated further

1874robbo

At the end of the day I don't care if it's the biggest match in the world,first or last minute,if it's a penalty or sending off in a match it should be given. End off!!!!

Archived